"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 6 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frontier

Staff member
I really hope they don't give Mary Jane powers. Can't we have one main cast member in Peter's age group who doesn't put on a costume or get powers :(?
I'm wondering if the Venomized heroes will somewhat maintain control of themselves. Peter, Miles, and Groot have part of their faces showing more than the other heroes. Especially Groot to the point you can see him smiling.
The Avengers look fairly villainous as Symbiotes so maybe they can't control it while the Spiders can, which is where the fighting starts :ack:.

Although maybe Peter helps the other Spiders control their Symbiotes since he has the most experience with them.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
Kind of surprised they didn't bring Kevin Michael Richardson back :confused:?
Kevin isn't exactly the kind to do youthful, child like voices , even if he can use a more high pitched voice (such as Barney Rubble).

Last edited:

bigdaddy313

Yeah, he was Baby Groot for, like, 60% of Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout.

I mean, cool for the kid and all, but it just seems a tad random.
Well I feel a child should play children's parts it worked very much for God of War

Frontier

Staff member
Well I feel a child should play children's parts it worked very much for God of War
That's fair, although I think it's different for a cartoon tree who can only say "I am Groot," and the movies kept the same VA for all of Groot's various stages.

I wouldn't have a problem with this if we didn't already have an established VA for Groot's baby form in the cartoons.

Last edited:

bigdaddy313

That's fair, although I think it's different for a cartoon tree who can only say "I am Groot," and the movies kept the same VA for all of Groot's various stages.

I wouldn't have a problem with this if we didn't already have an established VA for Groot's baby form in the cartoons.
Yeah but I always found Baby Groot's voice off putting, so I am glad for the change.

Jean74

Valentine's Day 2024!
Or say that he is Groot all the time, every single time. As would love to have him say something different for once.

Roxas_Sora

I really hope they don't give Mary Jane powers. Can't we have one main cast member in Peter's age group who doesn't put on a costume or get powers :(?

I understand your point of view, pal. But through the story of superheroes, it has been proved that when you are a superhero, your regular friends end up involved in that world, one way or another. This is not just a case for Spider-Man, but for other superheroes too:

+ Hulk: Rick Jones became A-Bomb, General Ross became Red Hulk, Betty became Red She-Hulk, his cousin Jennifer became She-Hulk.... A whole gamma family.
+ Iron Man: James Rhodes became War Machine and Peppert Potts became Rescue. We also have Happy and several others who get their own armors.
+ Thor: We had Kevin Masterson as Thunderstrike, Beta Ray Bill with Stormbreaker, and Jane Foster became the female Thor. It's hammer time!
+ Captain America: Unlike the others, Captain America is quite human, but there has been many others who have used his shield and uniform: US Agent, Falcon, Winter Soldier and others.

So, although I understand the need of "regular humans" on Spider-Man's world, I also like the idea of some of his friends having powers. And after "Renew Your Vows", Mary Jane is definitely one of the best options to have powers.

Frontier

Staff member
Yeah but I always found Baby Groot's voice off putting, so I am glad for the change.
I guess I'm curious how it will compare to Kevin Michael Richardson's take.
I understand your point of view, pal. But through the story of superheroes, it has been proved that when you are a superhero, your regular friends end up involved in that world, one way or another. This is not just a case for Spider-Man, but for other superheroes too:

+ Hulk: Rick Jones became A-Bomb, General Ross became Red Hulk, Betty became Red She-Hulk, his cousin Jennifer became She-Hulk.... A whole gamma family.
+ Iron Man: James Rhodes became War Machine and Peppert Potts became Rescue. We also have Happy and several others who get their own armors.
+ Thor: We had Kevin Masterson as Thunderstrike, Beta Ray Bill with Stormbreaker, and Jane Foster became the female Thor. It's hammer time!
+ Captain America: Unlike the others, Captain America is quite human, but there has been many others who have used his shield and uniform: US Agent, Falcon, Winter Soldier and others.

So, although I understand the need of "regular humans" on Spider-Man's world, I also like the idea of some of his friends having powers. And after "Renew Your Vows", Mary Jane is definitely one of the best options to have powers.
I know there is a propensity for turning supporting characters into Superheroes but I just don't think that has much of a narrative benefit towards Spider-Man. I certainly don't think the inclusion of Miles, Gwen, and Anya has really benefited Peter's story in this series much.

MJ should be shown as being awesome without needing a costume if they are really going to do the character justice.

Not that I'm advocating her bailing Peter out of danger like practically every other character on this show has done.

Roxas_Sora

I guess I'm curious how it will compare to Kevin Michael Richardson's take.

I know there is a propensity for turning supporting characters into Superheroes but I just don't think that has much of a narrative benefit towards Spider-Man. I certainly don't think the inclusion of Miles, Gwen, and Anya has really benefited Peter's story in this series much.

MJ should be shown as being awesome without needing a costume if they are really going to do the character justice.

Not that I'm advocating her bailing Peter out of danger like practically every other character on this show has done.

Back in the times of the 90s series, they shown Peter Parker as his classic self: a solitary boy/man that keeps his friends away from him for fear of causing their deaths, like Uncle Ben or Gwen Stacy. Nowadays, that way of thinking is very wrong, because everyone needs someone at its side. And in Peter's case, what's better than a group of individuals who share his arachnid powers and the problems they brought to him?

Mary Jane is a great character by herself, no doubt about it; and she certainly doesn't need powers to be great. The problem is, when you are Spider-Man's wife/girlfriend, you tend to get trapped in a lot of dangerous situations where it's very possible you won't escape alive. So, as far as I see, giving Mary Jane Powers is just a way to make sure she won't die at the hands of Osborn or something even worst.

Frontier

Staff member
Back in the times of the 90s series, they shown Peter Parker as his classic self: a solitary boy/man that keeps his friends away from him for fear of causing their deaths, like Uncle Ben or Gwen Stacy. Nowadays, that way of thinking is very wrong, because everyone needs someone at its side. And in Peter's case, what's better than a group of individuals who share his arachnid powers and the problems they brought to him?
I mean, I don't think Peter should be isolated, but a bunch of friends with similar powers don't seem to fit all that well either. Certainly writers for the cartoons have struggled trying ot make it work.
Mary Jane is a great character by herself, no doubt about it; and she certainly doesn't need powers to be great. The problem is, when you are Spider-Man's wife/girlfriend, you tend to get trapped in a lot of dangerous situations where it's very possible you won't escape alive. So, as far as I see, giving Mary Jane Powers is just a way to make sure she won't die at the hands of Osborn or something even worst.
Who needs powers when you can use your ingenuity and guts :)?

Roxas_Sora

I mean, I don't think Peter should be isolated, but a bunch of friends with similar powers don't seem to fit all that well either. Certainly writers for the cartoons have struggled trying ot make it work.

I don't know why you think that. For me, it clearly proves that, while anyone can get spider-powers, only Peter Parker is the one true Spider-Man. I mean, during Spider-Island, Spider-Man proved that it was Peter Parker what made him special; and that's why he's the worthiest one of the power. Besides, the other characters with Spider-Powers show their personalities too:
- Miles is like the "second generation's rookie with improved abilities". He might be more powerful than Peter, but he certainly lacks experience.
- Anya is something like "female power", who thinks anything a guy can do, a girl can do it better. But that's not the most addecuate way of thinking in this job.
- Gwen is "the daughter of a policeman", where she can understand the point of view of both, the superhero and the "normal hero".

Who needs powers when you can use your ingenuity and guts :)?

You are right, but ingenuity and guts are not enough when an extremely dangerous nutso like Norman Osborn is after you. Even less if, in this season, we see Norman Osborn in his most dangerous form ever: Bonded with Carnage and as the Red Goblin. In the comics, MJ needed some tech from Iron Man to protect herself.

Frontier

Staff member
I don't know why you think that. For me, it clearly proves that, while anyone can get spider-powers, only Peter Parker is the one true Spider-Man. I mean, during Spider-Island, Spider-Man proved that it was Peter Parker what made him special; and that's why he's the worthiest one of the power. Besides, the other characters with Spider-Powers show their personalities too:
- Miles is like the "second generation's rookie with improved abilities". He might be more powerful than Peter, but he certainly lacks experience.
- Anya is something like "female power", who thinks anything a guy can do, a girl can do it better. But that's not the most addecuate way of thinking in this job.
- Gwen is "the daughter of a policeman", where she can understand the point of view of both, the superhero and the "normal hero".
I feel like that gets diluted the more spider-people they add. Which might be why the writers write them out as quickly as they do.
You are right, but ingenuity and guts are not enough when an extremely dangerous nutso like Norman Osborn is after you. Even less if, in this season, we see Norman Osborn in his most dangerous form ever: Bonded with Carnage and as the Red Goblin. In the comics, MJ needed some tech from Iron Man to protect herself.
Better some tech then a costume and powers for my money, but even before tha she survived just fine without that stuff.

Roxas_Sora

Better some tech then a costume and powers for my money, but even before tha she survived just fine without that stuff.

I some cases, tech is a a suit and power, like Iron Man's case.

And she didn't survive just that fine, pal. Once, Osborn orchestated Peter's death and all of his beloved ones with the "Sinister Sixteen", and it would have succeded if she hasn't warned the Avengers, the Fantastic Four and Daredevil about it. Even that, she couldn't avoid Norman sneaking behind her and knocking her out, just to bring her to repeat the old "Gwen Stacy's death" all over again. A Spider-Sense would have definitely been useful for her to detect Osborn.

And at the origins of Venom, he sneaked on MJ and traumatized her at her home in his first attack on Peter. Having super-strength would have been useful for MJ to at least hit Venom really hard. Also, MJ was kidnapped and disappeared for some time because of a sick fan of her work as actress. She wouldn't have been able to use her powers without putting Peter's identity at risk, but she could have use them slightly to escape.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I'm not a big fan of MJ having super-powers of any kind let alone spider-themed ones, but I can sort of see the appeal for that. I presume MJ will gain some kind of symbiote at the very least on this show. It's kind of a similar situation to Ultimate Spider-Man but to make things kind of worse, this would happen in the same season she makes her full debut. USM at least used the character sporadically for the first 2 seasons, then completely ignored her for a bunch of episodes, before they brought her back with spider-powers. :p I also kind of doubt there will be much focus on any romance between Peter & MJ here, maybe more of the same thing that was breifly shown between Pete & Kamala. But we'll see.

I just don't really see the point of everyone in Peter's life, save maybe from Aunt May, gaining similar powers to his. I know it's happened in the comics over the years and more recent animated series try and abide by this rule, but I would much rather see more of both Peter and Spidey's supporting casts (as in, normal people in his life and other super-heroes). More focus on his dual life and stuff. I think the show already has more than enough spider-themed heroes and they're not handled in the best way possible, so I'm not really eager to see more thrown in there on the same team.

But, as with USM before, I will probably forgive this as long as we get to see a good take on MJ for the show. I'd rather see her, even with super-powers, than to watch a show that completely ignores her.

bigdaddy313

Not everyone has to have Spider powers, Mary Jane doesn’t need it, the same way Lois Lane doesn’t need to have superman’s.
Ordinary supporting cast is just as important as the heroes cause it gives us that relatability factor to the heroes which is why Spider-Man is so beloved and very popular.
After this season I am done with the lack of ordinary supporting characters, I am sure the only reason why them Miles and Gwen were there was to promote and sell Toys 100%.
We obviously don’t need damsel in distress, she can be brave or tough who can pull her own weight and she doesn’t need Spider powers for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Starting next month, I will be going back to using Magical Doremi profile pics for a while, because I want to honor the first magical girl series I ever watched.
Streaker Prower wrote on Vuxovich's profile.
What would happen if FUNimation did continue to use Ocean Media for Dragon Ball Z And Probably the Original Dragon Ball, GT, Kai, Super and the Video Games

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.

Featured Posts