"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 6 (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Roxas_Sora

Apr 5, 2007
South of Europe
Not everyone has to have Spider powers, Mary Jane doesn’t need it, the same way Lois Lane doesn’t need to have superman’s.
Ordinary supporting cast is just as important as the heroes cause it gives us that relatability factor to the heroes which is why Spider-Man is so beloved and very popular.
After this season I am done with the lack of ordinary supporting characters, I am sure the only reason why them Miles and Gwen were there was to promote and sell Toys 100%.
We obviously don’t need damsel in distress, she can be brave or tough who can pull her own weight and she doesn’t need Spider powers for that.
Look, one of the main reasons I like the idea of Mary Jane with spider-powers so much is because it might be the closest we will ever be to have MC2's Spider-Girl (daughter of Spider-Man) in animation. Mayday Parker combines the best of her parents: Peter's powers and brain, along with Mary Jane's good looks and personality. I truly loved the stories of May "Mayday" Parker in comics, and a Mary Jane with spider-powers looks A LOT like her. In "Ultimate Spider-Man", Mary Jane's outfit as Spider-Woman was clearly based on the ones wore by her daughter.

bigdaddy313

Jul 23, 2012
Look, one of the main reasons I like the idea of Mary Jane with spider-powers so much is because it might be the closest we will ever be to have MC2's Spider-Girl (daughter of Spider-Man) in animation. Mayday Parker combines the best of her parents: Peter's powers and brain, along with Mary Jane's good looks and personality. I truly loved the stories of May "Mayday" Parker in comics, and a Mary Jane with spider-powers looks A LOT like her. In "Ultimate Spider-Man", Mary Jane's outfit as Spider-Woman was clearly based on the ones wore by her daughter.
They can do a story where Spider-Girl comes from another dimension if you want, Mary Jane doesn’t have to be affected.
The main attraction is Spider-Man and his normal supporting cast.

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
Feb 22, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
One of the appeals to Spider-Man for me was all the interesting characters in his life that didn't have powers. His background and the people he knows are what grounds him apart from most other superheroes whose lives are just super/extraordinary 100% of the time. Of course people will explore those ideas from time to time and there's definitely merit in them (Agent Venom was a great thing for Flash, he already had a lot of interesting struggles that adding a symbiote only multiplied, and Spider-Gwen was a lightning-in-a-bottle success, but I don't think other comics have really done her quite as well as the team that created her as she really was more like an original character than any version of Gwen Stacy), but I don't think that should be the norm. It's why big events where all the Spiders team up are just that, events.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
I also kind of doubt there will be much focus on any romance between Peter & MJ here, maybe more of the same thing that was breifly shown between Pete & Kamala. But we'll see.
I am also curious how they are going to handle Peter and MJ's relationship, but conisdering how they handled Anna Marria and Otto's relationship, I'm not expecting a serious romance.
It's why big events where all the Spiders team up are just that, events.
I think that's part of why the other Spiders felt like they made more sense during something like Goblin War then they did as supporting characters, given how often the writers ignore or forget about them otherwise.

bigdaddy313

Jul 23, 2012
I am also curious how they are going to handle Peter and MJ's relationship, but conisdering how they handled Anna Marria and Otto's relationship, I'm not expecting a serious romance.

I think that's part of why the other Spiders felt like they made more sense during something like Goblin War then they did as supporting characters, given how often the writers ignore or forget about them otherwise.
Even if they where supporting characters at let it last for 3 seasons and then they can be turned into Spider people

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
I didn't really think of Otto & Anna Maria's love story, but it was pretty entertaining and handled fine I guess. I wouldn't mind seeing something similar for Peter & MJ (minus the heroic sacrifice thing which I doubt they would try with Spidey anyway).

Waiting 3 seasons before upgrading supporting cast members with powers is kind of a risky move given these shows don't really last that long nowadays, but I think a decent enough compromise would be to leave them be at least a season, maybe only hint they'll develop super-powers or something, then turn them in super-heroes in the next season. And limit their number to 1-2 per season.

Reactions: Frontier

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
I didn't really think of Otto & Anna Maria's love story, but it was pretty entertaining and handled fine I guess. I wouldn't mind seeing something similar for Peter & MJ (minus the heroic sacrifice thing which I doubt they would try with Spidey anyway).
My problem with is that they were obviously building up to their being mutual feelings between the two, but there was utterly no payoff before Otto sacrificed himself. So what was the point :confused:?
Waiting 3 seasons before upgrading supporting cast members with powers is kind of a risky move given these shows don't really last that long nowadays, but I think a decent enough compromise would be to leave them be at least a season, maybe only hint they'll develop super-powers or something, then turn them in super-heroes in the next season. And limit their number to 1-2 per season.
I definitely think the show would have benefited from developing the Spiders as civilians more in season 1 instead of rushing to give them powers, especially Miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: RoyalRubble

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
Feb 22, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
That's one thing I think really worked about how it was handled in the Spider-Man PS4 game. Peter was an experienced solo hero for 8 years and then he starts mentoring Miles as Peter and as Spider-Man, so that when Miles does get powers you can believe why this is the guy to look up to and learn from.

I really was not a fan of how that was handled in this show. Peter gets his powers, doesn't get the costume til the 3rd episode officially becoming Spider-Man, Miles gets his powers in episode 9 (!!) and looks up to Peter as a great example when Peter has only been doing it for a few months at most and is almost just as inexperienced.

To me it's like wanting to get to the finish line without doing the hard work in between vs. seeing it done believably somewhere else around the same time.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
My problem with is that they were obviously building up to their being mutual feelings between the two, but there was utterly no payoff before Otto sacrificed himself. So what was the point :confused:?
Seriously? That's what makes the sacrifice tragic! It's a "will they or won't they" that's a "they won't" BECAUSE of the sacrifice. That's the ENTIRE point.

Edit:

One thing that infuriates me about shippers is the insistence that love stories have to be consummated to have value. As my user name attests I have always been a fan of unrequited love stories and actually think they are the best kind.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
That's one thing I think really worked about how it was handled in the Spider-Man PS4 game. Peter was an experienced solo hero for 8 years and then he starts mentoring Miles as Peter and as Spider-Man, so that when Miles does get powers you can believe why this is the guy to look up to and learn from.

I really was not a fan of how that was handled in this show. Peter gets his powers, doesn't get the costume til the 3rd episode officially becoming Spider-Man, Miles gets his powers in episode 9 (!!) and looks up to Peter as a great example when Peter has only been doing it for a few months at most and is almost just as inexperienced.

To me it's like wanting to get to the finish line without doing the hard work in between vs. seeing it done believably somewhere else around the same time.
Frankly, I don't think Miles should even be in a cartoon with Peter as the lead to begin with, but I guess they've got to have other heroes for merchandise...
Seriously? That's what makes the sacrifice tragic! It's a "will they or won't they" that's a "they won't" BECAUSE of the sacrifice. That's the ENTIRE point.
It was going to be tragic one way or another. I don't think they should've teased something if they weren't going to do anything concrete with it, especially when there's a lack of any substantial romance in the main Marvel cartoons to begin with.
One thing that infuriates me about shippers is the insistence that love stories have to be consummated to have value. As my user name attests I have always been a fan of unrequited love stories and actually think they are the best kind.
I have nothing against unrequited love if used well, but I don't think this was an instance of that.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
It was going to be tragic one way or another. I don't think they should've teased something if they weren't going to do anything concrete with it, especially when there's a lack of any substantial romance in the main Marvel cartoons to begin with.
If by concrete you mean make a huge federal case out of it, then yes, it was quite unusual by the standards of superhero shows. I actually like the understated way the show handled it. It's the melodrama of those moments that often makes me groan in other projects. I enjoyed the subtext without the tragedy of it being rammed down my throat. That way we were better able to focus on Peter's perspective of Otto's death, which is the correct move, since you know, it's Peter's freaking show. It's not actually about Anna Maria.
I have nothing against unrequited love if used well, but I don't think this was an instance of that.
I object to the notion that unrequited love has to be written or arced perfectly in advance in order to have value. Sometimes it is what is. And that's enough.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
If by concrete you mean make a huge federal case out of it, then yes, it was quite unusual by the standards of superhero shows. I actually like the understated way the show handled it. It's the melodrama of those moments that often makes me groan in other projects. I enjoyed the subtext without the tragedy of it being rammed down my throat. That way we were better able to focus on Peter's perspective of Otto's death, which is the correct move, since you know, it's Peter's freaking show. It's not actually about Anna Maria.
I think handling something like that in a more understated way would have been more forgiveable if it wasn't the closest the show has had to an actual romance arc, which has been lacking in pretty much all the Marvel cartoons save for Marvel Rising. Even a confirmation of Anna Maria's feelings after the fact would have been good in my opinion.
I object to the notion that unrequited love has to be written or arced perfectly in advance in order to have value. Sometimes it is what is. And that's enough.
I mean, if we're talking about it's handling in an actual series, I think the writing and handling of it is relevant.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
A brief log-line for the "Maximum Venom" premiere was included in the April 2020 Disney premieres press release. (You'd have to click on the press release to expand it, I can't seem to be able to link directly to it)

Sunday, April 19
Original Series – Season Three Premiere on Disney XD
Marvel’s Spider-Man: Maximum Venom “Web of Venom” (9:00-10:00 P.M. EDT)

When Spider-Man and Max Modell experiment on a sample of Venom symbiote, it escapes and unleashes a weapon of unknown purpose.

TV-Y7 FV

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
A brief log-line for the "Maximum Venom" premiere was included in the April 2020 Disney premieres press release. (You'd have to click on the press release to expand it, I can't seem to be able to link directly to it)

Sunday, April 19

When Spider-Man and Max Modell experiment on a sample of Venom symbiote, it escapes and unleashes a weapon of unknown purpose.

TV-Y7 FV
"When Spider-Man and Max Modell experiment on a sample of Venom symbiote," Did they honestly expect this to end well? I blame Modell :rolleyes:.

Pattern_Maker

Nov 6, 2019
U.S.
LOL. Why is it even still at the high school and not some SHIELD lab guarded by agents armed with Sonic blasters?
Iron Man did take the original symbiote back to Avengers Compound in Stark Expo, but the Road to Maximum Venom video states that Venom escaped from Iron Man's possession and bonded to Flash. That's not right since Peter looked over footage of the expo and saw pieces of the symbiote stick to Flash in the season one Venom episode.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
LOL. Why is it even still at the high school and not some SHIELD lab guarded by agents armed with Sonic blasters?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Has SHIELD been mentioned once on this show? I'm not sure :sweat:.

But yeah, it makes no sense to give the Symbiote back in the hands of Horizon after how dangerous it's proved to be. Part of why the Symbiote is even dangerous to begin with is because of them :(.

Roxas_Sora

Apr 5, 2007
South of Europe
They can do a story where Spider-Girl comes from another dimension if you want, Mary Jane doesn’t have to be affected.
The main attraction is Spider-Man and his normal supporting cast.
For some reason, they tend to avoid stories involving a Peter Parker turned old (not like in the movie) and has children.

And I get your point, but Spider-Man's cast has changed a lot in years and they can't repeat the same things over and over. For example, Betty Cooper appeared in the first animated series, and never again. And they never put Gwen Stacy in animation until the 90s, where she's from an alternative reality to avoid his death because of the Green Goblin. (Mary Jane had a reference to that part).

Sunday, April 19

TV-Y7 FV
How is it possible that the smartest characters are always the ones who made the biggests stupidities? Can't they learn from their mistakes?

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
And I get your point, but Spider-Man's cast has changed a lot in years and they can't repeat the same things over and over. For example, Betty Cooper appeared in the first animated series, and never again. And they never put Gwen Stacy in animation until the 90s, where she's from an alternative reality to avoid his death because of the Green Goblin. (Mary Jane had a reference to that part).
Are you talking about Betty Brant? She's been in most Spider-Man cartoons, although she just made a cameo in this one.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

*siiiiigh* welp another _____ disney remake that clueless millennials will go watch and make it gross a billion dollars worldwide.

too bad i can't put some vulgar word in the blank because this is a family friendly board. But that's how i think about these remakes. Use your imaginations
Why do I associate that TT GO! Robin "my booty" meme with Sandu Ciorba's Pe Cimpoi?

Millions of questions, zero answers.

Mark your calendars for August 7.
TBS has been airing a lot of "Close Enough" ads in anticipation for its HBO Max launch.