"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 6 (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
Feb 22, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I think the majority of folks out there were disappointed from the getgo the show never looked like the actual promo art for the show. Promo art for a cartoon should be representative of what the show actually looks like. The promo art by Patrick Brown for the whole series was so colorful and energetic, and none of the characters actually looked like that. All the villain designs especially, most of them skewing towards more classic designs... which why market more traditional versions on products if that's not what they look like in the show? I mean for Ultimate Spider-Man a lot of the promo art matched the designs in the show. Can't remember any other Spidey cartoon examples where that happened. Just never understood it and did lead to some disappointment when I first saw how flat and decidedly not as colorful the actual show was going to look.

Pattern_Maker

Nov 6, 2019
U.S.
Actually Spider-Man (minus the blue web-shooters and soles), Miles, Gwen (minus her pink eye lens), and Spider-Girl (minus the inverted outfit) have the same character designs on promotional artwork as seen in the show. Same head shapes and body proportions. Patrick Brown even drew Peter unmasked on one of the calendar books.

I would love to have seen shading on show and more dynamic fight scenes, but I do like how the non-shading makes the series feel different past Spider-Man shows and give it it's own identity. It wouldn't surprise me if years later that this series becomes The Batman of Spider-Man cartoons due to the villains having drastic design changes.

Reactions: Frontier

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
Actually Spider-Man (minus the blue web-shooters and soles), Miles, Gwen (minus her pink eye lens), and Spider-Girl (minus the inverted outfit) have the same character designs on promotional artwork as seen in the show. Same head shapes and body proportions. Patrick Brown even drew Peter unmasked on one of the calendar books.

I would love to have seen shading on show and more dynamic fight scenes, but I do like how the non-shading makes the series feel different past Spider-Man shows and give it it's own identity. It wouldn't surprise me if years later that this series becomes The Batman of Spider-Man cartoons due to the villains having drastic design changes.
I think it does help the show stand out, but not necesarilly in a positive manner...I mean, I've liked some of the designs and the animation is fine for the most part, but visually I think this show has been the weakest of all the "modern" Spider-Man cartoons.

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com

Season 3 premieres Sunday April 19. Felicia Day is Mary Jane Watson. Funny enough, she voiced Erika on Stretch Armstrong And The Flex Fighters, who has visual similarities to her. Also, Sofia Wylie is Ironheart. There are also the symbiote sisters Scream, Scorn and Mania (played by Meg Donnelly, Kylee Russell and Carla Jeffery).

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
Airing on Sunday night at 9 PM. Kind of expected as much, really. Though I wonder how often the show will air - given there are only 6 episodes they might not premiere on a weekly basis. Also, a screening of the premiere at WonderCon a week before the TV debut seems more likely now.

Anyway - pretty awesome to hear Mary Jane will appear. Hopefully, she won't still be wearing that mascot costume, and only have speaking roles now. I also like the stunt-casting (for lack of a better word) that someone named Felicia is playing MJ (would have been funnier if they had someone named Gwen, but whatever :p)

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
177A Bleecker Street
It would be funny if it was a Mr. Wilson from "Home Imprivement"-situation where Mary Jane appears, but something always prevents us from actually seeing her.

There is some precedent for this already.

It is kind of hilarious that they cast a redhead for the role though. I wonder if that went into the decision.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
Yeah, I presume having worked with the show-runners before was the main reason for this casting - but it is kind of fun noticing all the coincidences and stuff that resulted from this.

EDIT-
The article on Marvel.com mentions another new addition to the cast. Yvette Nicole Brown as "Head Administrator". They also list Scott Menville as Grady Scraps, so I presume he'll have a larger role in the upcoming episodes.

Last edited:

Pattern_Maker

Nov 6, 2019
U.S.
Well, it looks like the last season of Spider-Man will be going out with a bang. A symbiote invasion, a team-up between the Web-Warriors, Avengers, and Guardians, the animated debut of other symbiotes, and the return of many minor characters.

I think it's obvious that Mania won't be Andi Benton, but the symbiote itself going by the voice actress. And with Doc Connors coming back I wonder if he helps with the creation of the new anti-venom looking symbiote suit for Spider-Man.

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
Feb 22, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Gotta say, all this news is making my excitement levels go up. Definitely seems like they're giving this season an extra push, especially with the reported makeover.

Excited Mary Jane finally will be showing up proper, really excited to see Scream making her animated debut. Wait, that's not entirely true... she did appear in the animated video-cast that plays in the Universal Islands of Adventure ride, The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man. That ride is such a treat, one of the best Spidey experiences you can have, the queue cartoon if you haven't seen it before is also pretty fun.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California

Season 3 premieres Sunday April 19. Felicia Day is Mary Jane Watson. Funny enough, she voiced Erika on Stretch Armstrong And The Flex Fighters, who has visual similarities to her. Also, Sofia Wylie is Ironheart. There are also the symbiote sisters Scream, Scorn and Mania (played by Meg Donnelly, Kylee Russell and Carla Jeffery).

Yes! Finally! We can stop asking when Mary Jane is going to show up :D.

Felicia Day is a pretty surprising pick, but I can see her working well in the role (it helps that she's also a cool, attractive, redhead in real life). I am kind of curious what kind of take they'll go with here, but at least she's finally appearing and getting to meet Peter. Here's hoping she gets to say "Face It Tiger..." :cool:.

Sofia Wylie reprising Ironheart, even if this isn't in-continuity with Marvel Rising. Given she's listed with the main cast, I wonder if she's going to be introduced as attending Horizon :)?

"Ben Pronsky as Venom" does that mean Eddie Brock or as the Symbiote? Because there's actually a distinction on this show o_O.

Nice to have confirmation that we'll be seeing more Symbiote villains, and they're all female to boot :evil:.
It also looks as though the voice director just got through watching ZOMBIES
It wouldn't be Marvel's Spider-Man without some Disney stunt-casting :p.
EDIT-
The article on Marvel.com mentions another new addition to the cast. Yvette Nicole Brown as "Head Administrator". They also list Scott Menville as Grady Scraps, so I presume he'll have a larger role in the upcoming episodes.
Yvette Nicole Brown possibly working for a school full of Superheroes again? That's kind of funny. Although when I expected her to pop up in a Marvel cartoon, I was expecting it would be to reprise Okoye ;).

"Head Administrator." Is this a school position? Or maybe she's working for the Life Foundation :confused:?

I guess Grady is there to keep Scott Menville around with Doc Ock gone. Hopefully he's not working for the bad guys again :sweat:.
They also mentioned Yuri Lowenthal as Dr. Curt Conners. He only showed up in a single episode way back in season one when Norman forced him to become the Lizard.
I was pretty disappointed that they treated Conners as such a bit character in that episode when he's usually a much more major character in the mythos, so I'm happy he's back. And I love Yuri Lowenthal :anime:.

Roxas_Sora

Apr 5, 2007
South of Europe
I keep thinking Scream popped up on Ultimate Spider-Man, but that was just Shriek possessed by a symbiote. Granted my confusion is mainly because of their names since the characters are different enough, design-wise.
Yeah, I expected that, with one more season, Shriek could have "evolved" into Scream.

Anyway, all things considered, I have a few things to comment.

+ Happy to know Mary Jane is going to officially appear in this season. And yeah, I found funny the fact that someone called "Felicia" is who is going to dub Mary Jane Watson. However, it calls my attention Mary Jane is going to appear during a season with Symbiotes. I have suspictions.

+ Grady Scraps could be the key to bring us something we expected from the promo material. Considering his inventions in the comics, he could bring us Miguel O'Hara, Spider-Man 2099. Even more, with symbiotes being the main focus, I bet we could have Venom 2099.

+ I don't know who is "Head Administartor", but I have my suspictions.

+ Scream, Scorn and Mania are going to appear? I didn't see this coming. However, it calls my interest to know who will be their hosts. I have some suspictions that go to the unexpected twists from the comics and series. Let's see:
- Mania is a "clone" of Venom, so I have two main candidates: Black Cat or Mary Jane Watson. Black Cat has been venomized before, and MJ could look like when she was possessed by Venom in "Renew Your Vows". It could merge with Flash to become "Agent Venom", but I have other ideas, honestly.
- Scorn is a quite peculiar symbiote, as it's half machine. This would be interesting to see. I have a crazy idea: Scorn combines with the Iron Spider's armor (if it appears) and then it bonds with Mary Jane Watson.
- I have nothing for Scream.

+ I don't count with these female symbiotes being the only ones to appear. I have others candidates to appear that I already mentioned previously.
- Carnage will definitely have to appear, and all things considered, I believe it host will be... Norman Osborn! If it then "evolves" into the Red Goblin, I would love to see Spidey bonding with Venom again to fight him.
- Anti-Venom will have to appear. And considering several things, I believe Harry Osborn could bond with it. (Extended from "Ultimate Spider-Man").
- Toxin is another interesting choice, and the perfect candidate would be Flash Thompson to become "Agent Toxin". When Eddie Brock used this symbiote in the comics, he temporally had a look similar to Flash as "Agent Venom". "Agent Anti-Venom" looked really good for Flash, but white is not an appropiated color for a soldier, honestly.

+ Mary Jane Watson becoming a Spider is something I really want to see again, only I hope it won't be through Carnage's symbiote again. We naver saw her during the Spider-Island's arc, so maybe she could have kept Spider-Powers and bending with a symbiote made her stronger.

Pattern_Maker

Nov 6, 2019
U.S.
+ Mary Jane Watson becoming a Spider is something I really want to see again, only I hope it won't be through Carnage's symbiote again. We never saw her during the Spider-Island's arc, so maybe she could have kept Spider-Powers and bending with a symbiote made her stronger.
Something similar actually happened to Peter and Mary Jane's son Benjy in the Spider-Girl comics featuring Mayday Parker. Benjy was bonded to the Carnage symbiote, and at the end of the original run, he developed spider-powers, including organic web-shooters. It was speculated that bonding to Carnage sped up the development of the spider-DNA from Peter since Benjy is just a baby.

I'm wondering if the Venomized heroes will somewhat maintain control of themselves. Peter, Miles, and Groot have part of their faces showing more than the other heroes. Especially Groot to the point you can see him smiling.