"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 5 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frontier

Staff member
Ultimate Spider-Man had an actual finale and some closure in its final episode. Sure there were some plot-lines that could have continued if the show ever gets revived in some form or another, but it didn't end on a cliff-hanger like Spider-Man Unlimited.

I don't know if Marvel's Spider-Man will get an actual finale but I imagine it won't end on a cliff-hanger either. The seasons for the last few Marvel toons have been pretty much self-contained and the season finales ended on a pretty good note.
Yeah, considering the show was greenlighted for a season 2 pretty early and they've probably stopped production at this point, I assume that the finale for season 2 will serve as a nice culmination for the series and its storylines :).

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Still no official return date yet, only confirmation the show will resume later this year, but Newsarama has a small update about the next episodes.
"We’ve split these seasons up into multiple sections," Marvel's Senior VP of Animation & Family Entertainment Cort Lane told Newsarama. "The second part of the second season of Spider-Man is coming later this year – and it will be no surprise to fans of the show that the big storyline will be Superior Spider-Man. And just as [Peter is] trying to pick up the pieces, a Goblin War begins. I can’t reveal much about the twists and turns but there’s a full-on Goblin Army."

Frontier

Staff member
Still no official return date yet, only confirmation the show will resume later this year, but Newsarama has a small update about the next episodes.
So like I figured the first half of the rest of the season is the Superior adaption while the second half after Peter gets his body back is Goblin Nation with the likely debut of the Green Goblin :cool:.

Roxas_Sora

CURSES!!! They better don't dare to finish this series after Season 2! I won't accept they introduce us the Jackal for the very first time in animation (puting aside his Miles Warren's persona) and they don't give us a proper Clone Saga. Not to mention that Spider-Man 2099 (Miguel O'Hara) was supposed to debut in this series at some point.

Frontier

Staff member
I'm curious if they'll fit in any of the Goblin lieutenants they had during that storyline (Goblin Knight, Goblin Queen, and a I think a new menace?).

Although that would require introducing even more new characters :p.

Frontier

Staff member
More in-depth discussion with Cort Lane on what's coming up.
Nrama: What can you tell us about the upcoming new seasons of your ongoing shows, Marvel’s Spider-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy?

Lane: We’ve split these seasons up into multiple sections. The second part of the second season of Spider-Man is coming later this year – and it will be no surprise to fans of the show that the big storyline will be Superior Spider-Man.

We get to see the implications of that for the second half of the season. It’s a really emotional and interesting story. As in comics, Doctor Octopus is changed by being in Peter’s body, and by having access to certain memories like Uncle Ben’s death.

Of course Peter will get his body back – it’s a Spider-Man show – but as in publishing, Superior Spider-Man may be a jerk but he’s very effective. So Spider-Man will come back into his body feeling a little less-than, a little discouraged, having lost his friends, his place at Horizon – having lost so much.

And just as he’s trying to pick up the pieces, a Goblin War begins. I can’t reveal much about the twists and turns but there’s a full-on Goblin Army.

Then on the other side, there’s Doc Ock’s story. He’s fundamentally changed. He has to decide who he wants to be. Is he going to be a hero now? He enjoyed being a hero, he felt fulfilled by it, so what does he do now?

It’s really interesting how these characters who were at each others’ throats for a season and a half find themselves friends. It’s a story about redemption and unlikely friendships, and being the best version of yourself. And it’s also jam-packed with action.

Nrama: In comic books, Superior Spider-Man goes to some dark places for both Peter Parker and Doctor Octopus. How do you toe the line between not going too far for an all-ages animated series while still exploring those core themes of the story?

Lane: It’s all about character beats that kids can connect with and feel emotional about in Peter’s challenges. And this one’s even bigger because not only is it a scary situation, he’s going through it without the help of Horizon and his friends. Of course, he finds the most unlikely new best friend in Otto Octavius.

So we’re avoiding some of the super dark stuff, and instead focusing on the emotional core of the story which is how these two characters are changed, and how the way they’re changed brings them together in a way they never expected.

It has a very emotional ending – one of the characters involved makes a huge sacrifice. I rewatched it just before this and I’m not ashamed to admit I cried. It’s a very satisfying ending to the two seasons. I’m very pleased with the writing in particular, led by Kevin Burke and Doc Wyatt. It’s very full circle – we didn’t have to go to super dark places to connect with the same character depth. Watching Spider-Gwen evolve into Ghost-Spider and how that affects her in this part of the season is very rewarding.

Frontier

Staff member
My main takeways:

- Peter gets ostracized from his friends and kicked out of Horizon because of Otto. Does this mean he goes back to Midtown? Is that how they finally introduce Mary Jane :)?

- I'm betting Doc Ock is the one who makes the "huge sacrifice" to capitalize on his character development :ack:.

- "He’s going through it without the help of Horizon and his friends.' So does that mean Spider-Man will be able to win more fights without help :p?

- Spider-Gwen will go by Ghost Spider, meaning Gwen will get powers again and, I assume, realize she needs to have a secret identity/mask :cool:.

Roxas_Sora

By all the demons of Hell!!! They are removing "Marvel's Spider-Man" from Disney XD for the whole summer? That means we can't see the remaining episodes during summer?!! If this is a joke, I don't find the stinking funny!! I think we already have a year after they stopped in the middle of Season 2. And I still didn't see the two last episodes aired because I didn't want to become insane by the despicable cliffhanger ending leading to "Superior Spider-Junk".

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
It could just be part of the summer. Schedule changes happen rather rapidly . Plus, there's still that Lego Spiderman special, so the rest of season 2 could coincide with that.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Yeah, I think it's too early to say the entire, definitive summer schedule has been revealed yet. On the other hand, it's also possible - going by the schedule for Guardians, anyway - the show might return up to like 53 weeks after the last episode aired, meaning late August in this case.

Frontier

Staff member
Yeah, I think it's too early to say the entire, definitive summer schedule has been revealed yet. On the other hand, it's also possible - going by the schedule for Guardians, anyway - the show might return up to like 53 weeks after the last episode aired, meaning late August in this case.
Disney sure knows how to draw out the end of these Marvel cartoons :p.

(At least when CN cancels you they release every episode on their website...)

lowell

Are they trying to air the remaining episodes and the Lego special around the time Far From Home is coming to theaters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

WBD announces a Meerkat Manor animated film. In other news, the world suddenly remembers Meerkat Manor exists.
Today marks the 5th Year Anniversary of when the HD Double Pack of Final Fantasy X & X-2 was released on the Nintendo Switch in North America. It was nice to be able to play my favorite Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo system.
Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)

Featured Posts