"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 5 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Welcome to the fifth installment of the Marvel's Spider-Man News and Discussion Thread, here on the Marvel Animation Forum! Keep up to date with any news about Marvel's newest animated series, and use this thread to discuss them in a civilized manner!

Yqj5AHH.jpg

MARVEL'S SPIDER-MAN
Mondays on Disney XD

Marvel's Spider-Man series description:
In the new series, “Marvel’s Spider-Man,” we will see a fresh take on Spider-Man, as Peter Parker is learning the responsibility that comes along with being a new, super-powered hero in New York City, just as he’s being accepted into Horizon High, a high school for brilliant young scientific minds. He struggles with the duality of his social life at school and hiding his secret identity from everyone including his best friend Harry Osborn, who attends the competing Osborn Academy for geniuses. As Peter embraces his alter-ego and takes on super villains such as Vulture, Lizard, Doctor Octopus and Sandman, he watches his hero lifestyle come between his personal relationships and struggles to keep Harry from landing on the wrong side of the law.
The second season finds Peter Parker in his sophomore year, as he’s no longer an inexperienced new super hero, nor a brand new student at the intimidating Horizon High. However, his foes are also no longer inexperienced and his ever-growing rogue’s gallery is focused on taking Spider-Man down. Picking up where Season 1 left off, the stakes are much higher in Peter’s personal life and Spider-Man’s super hero life. He also must learn how to balance working at the Daily Bugle to afford tuition at the prestigious Horizon High while surviving Doc Ock’s series of obstacles in an attempt to get rid of Spider-Man once and for all.
Marvel's Spider-Man cast and crew details:
"Marvel’s Spider-Man” voice cast includes Robbie Daymond (“Bread Winners,” “Get Blake”) as Spider-Man, Scott Menville (“Teen Titans,” “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles”) as Doctor Octopus, Nadji Jeter (“Jessie,” “Kirby Buckets”) as Miles Morales, Melanie Minichino (“Blaze and the Monster Machine,” “Mr. Peabody and Sherman”) as Anya Corazon, Laura Bailey (“DragonBall Z,” “Marvel’s Avengers Assemble”) as Gwen Stacy, Max Mittleman (“One-Punch Man,” “Transformers: Robots in Disguise”) as Harry Osborn, Fred Tatasciore (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble,” “Marvel’s Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.”) as Max Modell, Nancy Linari (“The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest,” “The Addams Family”) as Aunt May, Patton Oswalt (“Ratatouille,” “Pickle and Peanut”) as Uncle Ben, Alastair Duncan (“The Batman,” “Final Fantasy XIV”) as Vulture and Bob Joles (“SpongeBob SquarePants,” “Puss in Boots”) as the short-tempered boss of The Daily Bugle, J. Jonah Jameson.
The creative team includes executive producers Alan Fine (“Marvel’s The Avengers”), Joe Quesada (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble”), Dan Buckley (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble”), Cort Lane (“Marvel’s Ultimate Spider-Man”) and Eric Radomski (“Spawn,” “Marvel’s Avengers Assemble”); co-executive producers Stan Lee (“Spider-Man”) and Marsha Griffin (“Transformers Prime”); supervising producers Kari Rosenberg (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble”) and Kevin Burke & Chris “Doc” Wyatt (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble,” “Marvel’s Ultimate Spider-Man”); consulting producer Dan Slott (“Spider-Man: Big Time,” “The Superior Spider-Man”); and supervising directors Philip Pignotti (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble”) and Dan Duncan (Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy).

Stay tuned for further developments!
Comments?

Previous Discussion Threads:
"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)
"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)
"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 3 (Spoilers)
"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 4 (Spoilers)

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Continuing from the previous thread, here are the episodes scheduled to premiere in August 2018 on Disney XD. Note that not all of the episodes currently have a synopsis.
AIR DATE: 08/06/2018
“Bring On the Bad Guys - Part Three”
(6:30 - 7:00 P.M. EST)
Spider-Man faces off against his most bizarre bad guy yet, Jack O' Lantern. Then he turns Prowler, a reluctant villain, to the side of heroes when he helps him save his brother.
*Nathaniel Potvin and Booboo Stewart guest star.
AIR DATE: 08/06/2018
“Bring On the Bad Guys - Part Four”
(7:00 - 7:30 P.M. EST)
Spidey tracks the identity of the mysterious boss that put a price on his head and who has been sending villains after him.
*Nathaniel Potvin and Booboo Stewart guest star.
AIR DATE: 08/13/2018
"Brain Drain"
(6:30 - 7:00 P.M. EST)
AIR DATE: 08/13/2018
"The Living Brain"
(7:00 - 7:30 P.M. EST)

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I'm willing to bet that the two brain episodes airing on August 13 will be the kickstarter to the Superior Spider arc. I've heard the comic is rather controversial.

Frontier

Staff member
I feel as if Spec Spiderman is the only animated incarnation where he is a force to be reckoned with, and he should be the dude is probably the mot dangerous street level hero. He can lift 10 tons, dodge bullets at point blank range, can run over 40 mph and is a intellectual prodigy.
I think it helped that Spec had very fluid animation to lend to the action sequences and wasn't as reliant on team-ups or needing to promote other heroes, so it could just purely emphasize Spidey.

Not to mention the supporting cast was utilized and relevant in a way where they didn't need to constantly get involved in Peter's Spider-Man life.
I'm willing to bet that the two brain episodes airing on August 13 will be the kickstarter to the Superior Spider arc. I've heard the comic is rather controversial.
Even the show-runners have referred to it is a controversial story.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Yeah, it will probably be the start of the "Superior" story-line, which makes it kind of weird they'll probably take a break after these episodes. Then again, Guardians kind of did the same thing.

I doubt it is the case, but I saw someone mention "Brain Drain" might refer to the actual character named Brain Drain (apparently he's appeared in the Marvel Rising tie-in comics).

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
What is the comic about and why is it controversial?
To paraphrase TV Tropes: "Peter Parker and Dr. Octopus have switched bodies and Peter dies in the body of Dr Otto Octavius, but not before forcing him to relive Peter's life and force a Heel–Face Turn. Now there is a new Spider-Man in town—smarter, stronger, and SUPERIOR. The comic ran from January 2013 to April 2014."

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ComicBook/SuperiorSpiderMan

I doubt they'd adapt the more gruesome elements due to the show's tone, but I think the bulk of the story will still be adapted.

It's extremely obvious that Ock placed the bounty on Spider-Man's head (in an attempt to wear him down), but I'm fine with that because we are FINALLY getting Superior Spider-Man. They have been talking about adapting this storyline since before Season 1 was even released. Spider-Island is well and good, but Superior Spider-Man is the event I've really been waiting for. As a huge Doc Ock fan, I can't wait to see Otto hijack the show for a while. I've particularly grown very fond of this version of Otto. I recently re-watched Season 1 and I really love how they handled the build-up and development for the character. Capturing Otto's ego, arrogance, insecurities and his heart (which grew darker after the constant betrayals he feels he has endured) and Scott Menville plays a big part in it. He is FANTASTIC as a younger version of Otto and it's clear he's having fun with the performance.

I hope this Superior Spider-Man adaptation really gets us into Otto's head. Shows us flashbacks from his childhood. This mind-swapping storyline really works best with Doc Ock out of ALL of Spider-Man's villains because of the parallels Peter and Otto have. Dan Slott really showed us that in the comic storyline but it was apparent in the comics way before that. I hope the series really shows us those moments. It could be something pretty special if done right.

Lastly, it's a smart move to have Otto swap Peter's mind with his comatose body instead of his dying one (like in the comics). It will probably be a (little) less traumatizing to the younger viewers.

Last edited:

WebMasterSage

Obey the Pecking Order.
Hope this means Donald Glover is reprising Aaron Davis from Homecoming. I wanna see how he'd handle the Prowler identity.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I imagine they would have mentioned if they got someone like Donald Glover for a voice role. The guest-stars for the episode featuring Prowler was announced (Nathaniel Potvin and Booboo Stewart), though I am not sure which one of them is voicing the character.

Roxas_Sora

Guys, shouldn't the synopsis of the next two episodes come out already? I'm very worried about "Brain Drain" and "Living Brain".

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I kind of doubt we'll find out the log-lines for the last two episodes airing this month before next Wednesday (August 8th).

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Another preview clip
SNEAK PEEK at Marvel's Spider-Man - "Bring on the Bad Guys" Parts Three & Four
“Bring on the Bad Guys Part Three”
Inching further through a gauntlet of mysterious new villains determined to bring him down, Spider-Man faces off against his most bizarre bad guy yet, Jack O’Lantern.
“Bring on the Bad Guys Part Four”
While racing to get his science project to Horizon's open house on time, Spider-Man is attacked by another new b-level villain named Electro.
Monday, August 6th on Disney XD (Part Three: 6:30 – 7:00PM ET/PT | Part Four: 7:00 – 7:30PM ET/PT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts