"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 5 (Spoilers)

• Enter to win two tickets to Whisper of the Heart. Details here.

Latest News & Videos

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
So I'm guessing season 2 will close out 2019 and season 3 will come in 2020, although I guess it's possible they might "bomb" through the rest of the series, but I kind of doubt it.

If so it would mean that the current "canon," more or less, of the Marvel cartoons will continue into 2020 at the latest. Which was kind of when I was expecting there to be a wholesale reboot to be honest.

So Marvel's Spider-Man is still the last one out of the current Marvel shows on Disney XD, but will it be alone in 2020?
I don't know if I'll catch up with the series. It was pretty okay from what I can recall, but it didn't grab my attention either. I might give it another shot after I finish the last Avengers Assemble season. I kind of wish that they more of a selection of their Marvel animated series on their On Demand section, but I guess there would be less incentive for them to do that with Disney+ on the way.
Granted, it doesn't seem like their putting up much of their cartoons on Disney+, although the DisneyNOW app does have them...

lowell

Aug 11, 2018
San Francisco
I haven't watched this series since early season one and even I'm surprised that it got a third season. Given the long hiatus and how seemingly all of the other Marvel series either already wrapped up or are on their last season, I was expecting this series to end with season two.

I don't know if I'll catch up with the series. It was pretty okay from what I can recall, but it didn't grab my attention either. I might give it another shot after I finish the last Avengers Assemble season. I kind of wish that they more of a selection of their Marvel animated series on their On Demand section, but I guess there would be less incentive for them to do that with Disney+ on the way.
Honestly, it feels like this third season might have been produced in advanced already based on the rumors saying Marvel Animation was wrapping up production of the three shows and Disney XD's just spacing out the airings between months. Also, we never got any recent news regarding development of the Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur show co-produced by Marvel Animation with Laurence Fishburne's production company for Disney Channel, or did we?

Reactions: Frontier

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
Considering they were already working on season 2 before the show even premiered, I imagine season 3 has been in production for a while now. They just didn't announce it officially until now.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
177A Bleecker Street
Also, we never got any recent news regarding development of the Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur show co-produced by Marvel Animation with Laurence Fishburne's production company for Disney Channel, or did we?
There has been no news in over a year. I do wonder if there is any other new programming at all coming to Disney XD besides any of the anime acquisitions. It feels a bit weird that they would keep the new episodes off the air for that much longer.

I wonder how accepted a long hiatus like this would be by the intended audience. Would a lot of kids who might have been into the previous 38, 39 episodes still be around to watch the show? Does Disney care about holding on to those original viewers, or do they just expect new viewers to gain interest in the show? If I wasn't an immense Spider-Man fan already, I have no idea if I'd be around for the new episodes back when I was the right age. It's not even as though this is the Saturday morning period, when a show would have infinite reruns until new episodes slipped in the rotation, especially since it doesn't seem as though the show is in that much.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
Considering they were already working on season 2 before the show even premiered, I imagine season 3 has been in production for a while now. They just didn't announce it officially until now.
I guess it would fit a little with the more "recent" shows getting three seasons (with this and Guardians), while Assemble and USM got quite a few as the older shows (although I think the need for something for Black Panther kept Assemble around).
There has been no news in over a year. I do wonder if there is any other new programming at all coming to Disney XD besides any of the anime acquisitions. It feels a bit weird that they would keep the new episodes off the air for that much longer.

I wonder how accepted a long hiatus like this would be by the intended audience. Would a lot of kids who might have been into the previous 38, 39 episodes still be around to watch the show? Does Disney care about holding on to those original viewers, or do they just expect new viewers to gain interest in the show? If I wasn't an immense Spider-Man fan already, I have no idea if I'd be around for the new episodes back when I was the right age. It's not even as though this is the Saturday morning period, when a show would have infinite reruns until new episodes slipped in the rotation, especially since it doesn't seem as though the show is in that much.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Especially since it seems like the long hiatus bascially killed Guardians' already low ratings :ack:.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
May 25, 2010
Cartoon Headquarters
Sorry for my initial reaction being so short, but damn I'm happy. I've longed for a Venom animated series so much and now it's basically happening. This is as close as we'll ever get to it and I'm glad that despite the critical backlash the live film did well enough at least vocally, if not financially as well, to warrant this. Marvel fully embracing Venom feels great after so many years. Not just in this form, but across all media platforms. The mere notion of this Venom-centric saga brings back vibes of the Alien Costume arch from the legendary '90s series depiction. The potential. We'll see. Plus, I honestly thought this show was done. So getting another season AND more symbiotes is... pure carnage.

Reactions: RoyalRubble

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
I just thought to myself that the last story arc of Dan Slott's Spider-Man run, which this show has been fairly prominently influenced by, involved Norman Osborn putting on the Carnage Symbiote and becoming the Red Goblin, and Venom helped Spider-Man fend him off by giving him back the Black Suit.

I wonder if they might do something like that this season.

Reactions: RoyalRubble

Roxas_Sora

Apr 5, 2007
South of Europe
I just thought to myself that the last story arc of Dan Slott's Spider-Man run, which this show has been fairly prominently influenced by, involved Norman Osborn putting on the Carnage Symbiote and becoming the Red Goblin, and Venom helped Spider-Man fend him off by giving him back the Black Suit.

I wonder if they might do something like that this season.
Funny. I was thinking exactly the same thing. First season ended up with the first battle against Norman Osborn, and possibly his transformation into the Green Goblin. Second season will surely end up with the first battle against the Green Goblin, and the third could surely end with another match Spider vs Goblin, but with symbiotes added.

Anyway, I'm glad to know there's on emore season after this. I mean, for this series to be the very first time ever that the Jackal appears in animated form (not counting his human identity as Miles Warren, this series couldn't end without giving us an animated adaptation of the Clone Saga. So, let's see how I think this could ends:

1º) Season 2's remains:
- 5 episodes for "Superior Spider-Junk", which is enough.
- Either 2 or 5 more episodes for the Green Goblin's debut and the "Goblin Nation".
- The potential debut of Miguel O'Hara, Spider-Man 2099, who was in promo art for the series. Also, he was involved with the whole "Superior Spider-Junk" stuff.
- I wish for Mary Jane Watson to appear before the season ends. (And who knows?, maybe the revelation that, like in the comics, she was one of the last infected ones during Spider-Island and she kept stable powers).
- I don't know fo the rest of the episodes.

2º) Season 3:
- "Maximum Venom", more like "Maximum Carnage". Venom will start as a villain, but it's obvious he will switch sides at some point.
- Carnage will definitely debut, not counting the events with the crossover with the Guardians of the Galaxy.
- Other symbiotes will clearly debut. I'll go for the Life Foundation (Scream, Lasher, Phage, Agony and Riot), Toxin, Anti-Venom, Hybrid, Scorn and maybe Mania.
- The Clone Saga HAS to happen. Anti-Venom's healing abilities could be used to stabilize Jackal's clones. We could expect the debut of Kaine, Ben Reilly and possibly, an animated version of Ultimate Jessica Drew, Peter's female clone.
- With clones, we could also have the return of "Superior Spider-Junk", this time, without involving Spider-Man losing his body. Otto would use a modified clone of Peter.
- I expect the debut of more Spider-Heroes. Flash becoming something like Agent Venom would be perfect; maybe he could become "Agent Toxin", as Venom is already taken.
- Like I said, I would like to see Mary Jane Watson appearing and becoming a spider too, like in Ultimate Spider-Man. Although this time, not bonding with Carnage. Either a stable infection of Spider-Island (as in the comics, like I said), or maybe another symbiote (like in Renew Your Vows). Mania could be a candidate.
- And like I said, rematch Spider-Man vs Green Goblin with symbiotes. That would mean Black Spider-Man vs Red Goblin.

What do you think?

Roxas_Sora

Apr 5, 2007
South of Europe
Will Maximum Venom tie in somehow with the live film sequel? Given the timing would make sense. Somewhat.
Don't bet on it, pal. The timing is perfect, but it's only to exploit SPider-Man's popularity the most. They did the same in the other animated series, coincidentally airing an episode about a character whose movie was going to appear in the cinema. For example, "Panther's Rage" from "Avengers: Age of Ultron" was aired the same week his movie was launched, I think.

Besides, there's too many differences between the animated series and the movie. For example:
- Movie's Peter hasn't still met many of the villains that Animated Peter already fought, like Doctor Octopus, Venom or even Oscorp.
- Movie's Peter has a "MJ", but she's not Mary Jane Watson at all.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
I doubt the next season will have much if anything in common with the live-action movies other than featuring the same characters, and maybe some of the symbiote stuff (but elements from the comics, so it won't necessarily be a tie-in or something). I guess there might be a chance they're going to focus on Venom because of his movie, same goes for the new LEGO special this summer, but that's about it.

Kind of reminds me how USM received a "Sinister Six" season when a movie with those characters was rumored, but pretty much scrapped by the time the cartoon premiered.

TheLemsterPju

Jan 17, 2015
I'm 90% sure we'll get Carnage at some point, but whether they actually use Kasady is another story.
If Marvel Rising can portray murderer villains in a kid's program (i.e. the female Nuhuman that killed Kevin), then I think they can bring in Kasady somehow. Just extremely toned down. Which is kinda what the 90s show did IIRC.

I'd like Scream to show up if only to make up for how little she did in Ultimate Spider-Man :sweat:.
You're thinking of Shriek, not Scream. :p

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
I also wonder if they might bring back Scorpion next season, and have him possessed by a symbiote too. Another thing USM barely touched on, though it was kind of a completely different Scorpion there to begin with.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Carlos Gutierrez wrote on PinkiePie97's profile.
I really do need to see Unikitty, Puppycorn, Dr. Fox, Hawkodile, and Richard come back for more new adventures this summer!
Happy Father's Day to all dads out there (including my own)!
Homestar Runner was trending yesterday and I didn't notice. Is the series all up ons again?
Amphibia looks pretty deece so far. The premise is like the isekai anime genre, except the main protagonist isn't stuck in a typical fantasy RPG world that most isekai anime take place in.