"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 5 (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
Pretty great news. I'm not that excited about the focus on Venom, but it's cool the show won't end with only 2 seasons. It's also cool to have a time-frame for the show's return, September, so over a year after the last episode aired. Nice to know there won't be such a long hiatus between seasons, too.

Honestly, I'm not too surprised about a 3rd season. Considering the reports of voice recording sessions and new writers for a few episodes that were posted here in the last few months, I kind of figured they had to be for something post season 2. I'm also not that surprised the show is getting a sub-title for the 3rd season, continuing the tradition for every recent Marvel animated series since USM.

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
www.deviantart.com
I assume the rest of season 2 (and all of season 3) will take the route that Avengers Assemble season 5 and part 2 of Guardians Of The Galaxy season 3 did, and have new episodes on Sunday nights in the 9pm hour.

Reactions: Frontier

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
The show got renewed for a Season 3!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wow, what a surprise this is :D!

I admit I was pretty certain this season was the end for the show, even though I feel like the show had more potential for stories and would've ended too soon at season 2, so this is great news :anime:.

Maybe Mary Jane can finally show up this time ;)?
Color me very surprised. I hope that they boost the animation budget.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I hope so too, but that doesn't seem likely when it comes to Marvel cartoons. I think Assemble honestly got worse visually between Secret Wars and Panther's Quest :ack:.
Disney Channel PR has a look at the updated logo for the series, posted up on Twitter:

Venom stole Carnage's logo :p.

I'm not surprised the new season will be very Venom-centric. I always had a feeling that, if the series got another season, it would focus more on Venom and the Symbiotes after the Venom movie and with how popular Venom is now :evil:.

Although I hope this isn't like with other Marvel cartoons where the subtitles generally don't feel accurate to the actual season and Venom's only in it for, like, 8 episodes :sweat:.

Although speaking of Carnage I would be shocked if we don't see more Symbiotes pop up this season. Maybe as a contrast with all the Spider-Heroes :eek:.

Speaking of which...I wonder if they'll introduce any new Spider-Heroes alongside the four this season? Silk? Scarlet Spider? Maybe Agent Venom to go along with the theme? Adapt Flash as Agent Anti-Venom, maybe ;)?

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
Feb 22, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Donny Cates confirmed he's consulting on the third season, which means we might get Knull and other concepts from his current Venom run. Cool by me!

If it's gonna be symbiote focused I hope we get more symbiotes like Scream, since all of them are coming back in the comics as well. I also hope we get Eddie going from bad to more heroic somehow. I like how this show made him pretty outright evil so far.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
I wonder if this season was produced far enough that the Fox embargoes were lifted...maybe we could finally get an FF and Wolverine team-up ;)?
Donny Cates confirmed he's consulting on the third season, which means we might get Knull and other concepts from his current Venom run. Cool by me!
We're going to get Cates' Venom stuff on this show? That should be a trip :p.
If it's gonna be symbiote focused I hope we get more symbiotes like Scream, since all of them are coming back in the comics as well. I also hope we get Eddie going from bad to more heroic somehow. I like how this show made him pretty outright evil so far.
I kind of don't see that happening if only because Venom is going to be primed as the main antagonist of this season, but considering they seem to be trying to redeem Doc Ock I guess it wouldn't be too surprising...

Although I also wouldn't be surprised if they introduce Carnage as a threat that requires Spider-Man and Venom to team-up to stop :ack:.

Reactions: RoyalRubble

Joe Wagner

The one, true Scarlet Spider!
Jan 18, 2002
Beacon of Freedom
www.toonzone.net
I'm honestly shocked by today's news, as I figured a new Spidey show would be in the offing with Disney+ on the horizon. Hate to see that the current season is being pushed out to September, but it is nice to see something being advertised at least.

As for the Venom-centric premise for Season 3, it initially reminds me of Spider-Man Unlimited, which was focused on Carnage and Venom. I'm down with more Venom and I wonder if part of this push is related to Sony's rumored desire to have Venom become part of the MCU. Seems like it would be a win/win for both Sony and Disney if Venom gets a bit of a push, especially with Cates involved (who has been killing it on the solo book).

Spider-Man

Jan 7, 2002
This is great news and surprising too! Given how quiet things have been I thought for sure the second season would be aired and then that would be it. I'm glad that this show is getting a third season because it deserves it. It's really grown into a great show and I hope we get a lot more of it. Marvel's Spider-Man is so much better than Ultimate Spider-Man (the less said about that trainwreck of a show the better) and I'm glad it's getting the attention it deserves. The third season sounds great and I can't wait for the "Superior Spider-Man" arc when new episodes come back.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
I'm honestly shocked by today's news, as I figured a new Spidey show would be in the offing with Disney+ on the horizon. Hate to see that the current season is being pushed out to September, but it is nice to see something being advertised at least.
12 months versus Guardians' 13 months. DisMarvel sure knows how to put a show on hiatus :sweat:.

Although the fact that they confirmed a new season for this show before it came back while they didn't do it for Avengers or Guardians is probably a good sign :).

Maybe they didn't want it to feel alone by being the only one of the current Marvel cartoons without a subtitle season :p?

Kind of surprised they're not premiering it closer to when Far From Home comes out. Guardians would be finished by then anyways :confused:.
As for the Venom-centric premise for Season 3, it initially reminds me of Spider-Man Unlimited, which was focused on Carnage and Venom. I'm down with more Venom and I wonder if part of this push is related to Sony's rumored desire to have Venom become part of the MCU. Seems like it would be a win/win for both Sony and Disney if Venom gets a bit of a push, especially with Cates involved (who has been killing it on the solo book).
I think the main reason the season is so Venom-centric is because the movie did well and Marvel is really promoting Venom lately in the comics.

Although I think this will be the first time Venom has ever been the overarching antagonist of a Spider-Man season.
For what it's worth, here's the confirmation Donny Cates is involved with the 3rd season.
I wonder if this means Dan Slott isn't a consultant anymore.

I also wonder if Kevin Burke and Doc Wyatt are still the showrunners/story editors? I only ask because of the changeover from Kevin Shinick in season 1 to them in season 2, but I think at least one of them mentioned one of the late ADR sessions that might have been for this new season.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
I also wonder if Kevin Burke and Doc Wyatt are still the showrunners/story editors? I only ask because of the changeover from Kevin Shinick in season 1 to them in season 2, but I think at least one of them mentioned one of the late ADR sessions that might have been for this new season.
I noticed Burke shared the news on Twitter, so I presume both him and Wyatt are still there.

lowell

Aug 11, 2018
San Francisco
12 months versus Guardians' 13 months. DisMarvel sure knows how to put a show on hiatus :sweat:.

Although the fact that they confirmed a new season for this show before it came back while they didn't do it for Avengers or Guardians is probably a good sign :).

Maybe they didn't want it to feel alone by being the only one of the current Marvel cartoons without a subtitle season :p?

Kind of surprised they're not premiering it closer to when Far From Home comes out. Guardians would be finished by then anyways :confused:.

I think the main reason the season is so Venom-centric is because the movie did well and Marvel is really promoting Venom lately in the comics.

Although I think this will be the first time Venom has ever been the overarching antagonist of a Spider-Man season.

I wonder if this means Dan Slott isn't a consultant anymore.

They've also been working on Star Wars Resistance.

Light Lucario

Staff member
May 11, 2007
In a Dream World
I haven't watched this series since early season one and even I'm surprised that it got a third season. Given the long hiatus and how seemingly all of the other Marvel series either already wrapped up or are on their last season, I was expecting this series to end with season two.

I don't know if I'll catch up with the series. It was pretty okay from what I can recall, but it didn't grab my attention either. I might give it another shot after I finish the last Avengers Assemble season. I kind of wish that they more of a selection of their Marvel animated series on their On Demand section, but I guess there would be less incentive for them to do that with Disney+ on the way.