"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 4 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
While Anya might not have gotten that many focus episodes before Spider Island, I do think the show has shown enough of her in action that makes her pretty interesting.

Let's start with the two part pilot "Horizon High". When Peter manages to stop the fire at the cost of short circuiting her invention, she's rather furious at how her work was ruined. Later on, we see her show no hesitation in trying to help SpiderMan out.

In "Osborn Academy", she's one of the potential applicants in applying to the titular academy despite already being at Horizon. This helps reestablish that she may be brilliant academically, but when it comes to the morality aspect, she tends to be more on the skewed side in looking out for herself. The episode after this, "A Day In The Life", does show her as more reasonable as she's willing to let Peter leave when she answers some study questions. This also cropped up in the three episodes from September 16.

"Party Animals" shows her being a bit mad at Peter for supposedly coming up with the idea of a school dance, and it's also played for laughs. This helps establish that she's slightly socially awkward, and acts abrasive as a front. Why do you think she's not at the Halloween party in "Halloween Moon"? (Miles at least has the excuse of possibly wanting to train himself more.)

Speaking of Miles, let's cut to the episodes "Ultimate SpiderMan" and "Kraven's Amazing Hunt". In the former episode, when Miles talks about how he got powers, she's the most excited, and talks about how great they would be if they all had spider powers, almost like a geek. In the latter episode, when Max Modell almost hears them talk about Miles having spider powers and being on Kraven's show, she immediately covers for him, and says how it's his favorite show.

So, what have we learned about? She's an intelligent teenage girl who's a bit socially awkward, and acts skewed and slightly abrasive as a front. She's shown to be more confident when it comes to heroics. We see this more in "Spider Island".

In "Spider Island", Gwen is the first between the two of them to get spider powers. She maintains the more outwardly altruistic nature she's had before, but becomes cocky when she's praised for her heroics. Anya is more or less the opposite. She starts out much less confident in her powers, but grows stronger and more confident upon mastering them, and is much more altruistic and level headed throughout the five part story with her ego greatly downplayed. It's also here where she and Gwen find out that Peter is SpiderMan, due to how Peter just so conveniently disappeared as SpiderMan came in. Plus, Miles probably told them afterwards.

Part 2 of "The Hobgoblin" shows her lightly teasing Peter for missing the end of the year ceremony, but it's clear its all in fun as opposed to the September 16 episodes. When he gets trapped by Doc Ock and Norman's Hobgoblin identity, she and Gwen do not hesitate to help him.

Even if not in focus episodes, we do get a nice personality profile for Anya. She's smart and slightly socially awkward, and acts a bit abrasive and skewed to hide her insecurities. When it comes to heroics, she's much more level headed and kind.

Some might say I'm nitpicking, and I admit, I didn't pick up everything the first time either, but this method of picking up details (whether intentionally or not) has helped me out with other shows, like Sofia The First. The episode "The Big Sleepover" helps establish how Sofia and Amber's friends act. For the former, it's established that Jade is less emotionally mature than Ruby, as shown with how she's more hurt with confronting Sofia on how they're not perfect enough than Ruby is. Episodes like "The Little Witch", "In a Tizzy", and "Princess Jade" make more sense with this dynamic in mind. For the latter, it establishes that Hildegard has somewhat of a take charge attitude, especially towards Clio, yet also established that it's a front to maintain good social standing. Clio is likewise shown as more fun loving but purposefully restrains herself since Hildy and Amber are her main friends. Episodes like "The Princess Stays In The Picture" and "Sidekick Clio" make more sense with this in mind..

And those are my thoughts.

Mr.O

While Anya might not have gotten that many focus episodes before Spider Island, I do think the show has shown enough of her in action that makes her pretty interesting.

Let's start with the two part pilot "Horizon High". When Peter manages to stop the fire at the cost of short circuiting her invention, she's rather furious at how her work was ruined. Later on, we see her show no hesitation in trying to help SpiderMan out.

In "Osborn Academy", she's one of the potential applicants in applying to the titular academy despite already being at Horizon. This helps reestablish that she may be brilliant academically, but when it comes to the morality aspect, she tends to be more on the skewed side in looking out for herself. The episode after this, "A Day In The Life", does show her as more reasonable as she's willing to let Peter leave when she answers some study questions. This also cropped up in the three episodes from September 16.

"Party Animals" shows her being a bit mad at Peter for supposedly coming up with the idea of a school dance, and it's also played for laughs. This helps establish that she's slightly socially awkward, and acts abrasive as a front. Why do you think she's not at the Halloween party in "Halloween Moon"? (Miles at least has the excuse of possibly wanting to train himself more.)

Speaking of Miles, let's cut to the episodes "Ultimate SpiderMan" and "Kraven's Amazing Hunt". In the former episode, when Miles talks about how he got powers, she's the most excited, and talks about how great they would be if they all had spider powers, almost like a geek. In the latter episode, when Max Modell almost hears them talk about Miles having spider powers and being on Kraven's show, she immediately covers for him, and says how it's his favorite show.

So, what have we learned about? She's an intelligent teenage girl who's a bit socially awkward, and acts skewed and slightly abrasive as a front. She's shown to be more confident when it comes to heroics. We see this more in "Spider Island".

In "Spider Island", Gwen is the first between the two of them to get spider powers. She maintains the more outwardly altruistic nature she's had before, but becomes cocky when she's praised for her heroics. Anya is more or less the opposite. She starts out much less confident in her powers, but grows stronger and more confident upon mastering them, and is much more altruistic and level headed throughout the five part story with her ego greatly downplayed. It's also here where she and Gwen find out that Peter is SpiderMan, due to how Peter just so conveniently disappeared as SpiderMan came in. Plus, Miles probably told them afterwards.

Part 2 of "The Hobgoblin" shows her lightly teasing Peter for missing the end of the year ceremony, but it's clear its all in fun as opposed to the September 16 episodes. When he gets trapped by Doc Ock and Norman's Hobgoblin identity, she and Gwen do not hesitate to help him.

Even if not in focus episodes, we do get a nice personality profile for Anya. She's smart and slightly socially awkward, and acts a bit abrasive and skewed to hide her insecurities. When it comes to heroics, she's much more level headed and kind.

Some might say I'm nitpicking, and I admit, I didn't pick up everything the first time either, but this method of picking up details (whether intentionally or not) has helped me out with other shows, like Sofia The First. The episode "The Big Sleepover" helps establish how Sofia and Amber's friends act. For the former, it's established that Jade is less emotionally mature than Ruby, as shown with how she's more hurt with confronting Sofia on how they're not perfect enough than Ruby is. Episodes like "The Little Witch", "In a Tizzy", and "Princess Jade" make more sense with this dynamic in mind. For the latter, it establishes that Hildegard has somewhat of a take charge attitude, especially towards Clio, yet also established that it's a front to maintain good social standing. Clio is likewise shown as more fun loving but purposefully restrains herself since Hildy and Amber are her main friends. Episodes like "The Princess Stays In The Picture" and "Sidekick Clio" make more sense with this in mind..

And those are my thoughts.
I'd definitely say that you are reaching a bit. But, I know that sometimes you have to reach like this. Especially in fast paced shows where the writers don't have time to spell out every character's personality in bold letters. I just never taken the time to deeply analyze her character. What do you make of the other girls' personalities on this show? Who is your favorite?

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I'd definitely say that you are reaching a bit. But, I know that sometimes you have to reach like this. Especially in fast paced shows where the writers don't have time to spell out every character's personality in bold letters. I just never taken the time to deeply analyze her character. What do you make of the other girls' personalities on this show? Who is your favorite?
Well, I can analyze Gwen if you want to. In fact, let me do it now.

Let's start at "Osborn Academy". One of her first scenes is where she's rescued by SpiderMan from the Jackal, but she criticizes him since (in her eyes), he messes up quite a bit when trying to save her. Later on, when she meets up with Peter Parker, and knows of how he saved Horizon High from the fire, she's flattered to meet him, and doesn't chastise him when he fumbles. Later on, when SpiderMan uses a suggestion she thought of, she's a bit snotty, but does give genuine thanks to him. This also helps establish her relationship with her uncle Raymond Warren, mainly in how he saved her from falling while as the Jackal, and she is shown being courteous to him at the end of the episode.

"A Day In The Life" helps show more of their family dynamic. Even with his shady motives, you can't deny that Raymond is genuine when he talks about how smart she is.

"Party Animals" kicks things into high gear. She's obviously crushed when she finds out that her uncle is the Jackal, but we also see her gain more respect for both SpiderMan and Peter Parker. When she confronts her uncle, SpiderMan manages to swoop in and save her, and he offers his condolences. When Peter Parker comes in to console her, she reveals how her uncle inspired her to pursue science, and Peter relates by saying how his uncle helped him pursue science. She's genuinely touched and gives him a hug. This helps her establish how she's legitimately starting to respect SpiderMan while also sow the seeds on how her relationship with Peter is important.

A brief moment, but in "Sandman", while Anya and Miles try to get others to safety due to the destruction that Sandman inadvertently caused, she's the one to suggest using one of the water guns, and modify it to work here. Plus, she's slightly miffed at SpiderMan for taking her invention, but doesn't linger on it.

In "Ultimate SpiderMan" , when Miles comes in and tells them that he has spider powers, while the girls are excited, Gwen is a bit more reserved, and thinks that they should analyze the effects. While not completely on the same level (since Peter being skeptical is because he doesn't want Miles to think he can goof off as a hero since Peter isn't a slacker), it does help show they're both generally level headed.

"Halloween Moon" helps show how she's like a moral compass for others. She shows zero hesitation in wanting to keep the transformed kids safe, openly criticizes Hulk for the mindless destruction he does when trying to fight them off, and is very willing to work with SpiderMan. This altruism is further expanded in "Screwball Live", where she shows zero hesitation in helping Peter crack the code to Hammerhead's flash drive. Plus, when he remarks "I think what I was missing was you.", she flashes a small smile showing her appreciation for the sentiment. Also, they both dislike Screwball before her full heel face turn.

We see more of her dynamic with Peter in parts 1 and 4 of "Rise Of Doc Ock". In part 1, she's the most willing to put up with Otto and his ego, and is only slightly upset when Peter criticizes her before being nice to him when saying he should visit him in the hospital. Again, when you consider how "Halloween Moon" showed her as a moral compass, it works. In part 4, she's visibly crushed when she thinks SpiderMan destroyed her uncle, but quickly turns around when Peter tells her that the Jackal in prison was a fake. Plus, she's shown working effortlessly with both of them later on, or at least showing support.

This part well get a bit lengthy. The first two parts of "Spider Island" show quite a bit to her character. Because she was in the line of the explosion, she gains spider powers. While a bit shaky early on, she says: "My friend Peter Parker has a saying: 'With great power comes great responsibility.' ". If that doesn't spell out how important Peter is to her, I don't know what is. When she manages to stop the bomb and save the city, she lets her ego inflated with all the praise, and is rather condescending towards SpiderMan. In addition to being a great foil to Anya, who's nicer during heroic acts rather than real life, this also makes a great parallel to her uncle, and how they're different with powers than their normal selves. Raymond Warren presents himself as a genuinely good person, but his true colors are revealed as a vindictive monster in more ways than one. Gwen is still her altruistic self, and while she obviously has standards, is still emotionally vulnerable. Let's look back at "Party Animals" and the two Rise Of Doc Ock episodes she was in. She was crushed at how someone close to her was revealed to be a villain. Not only that, he caused mass amounts of destruction with destroying Midtown High. That would definitely traumatize a teenager. Those episodes show that, unless it's small scale or much more potentially fixable, she's traumatized by how bad things can get. Hence her cockiness makes sense since she just wants to feel better about herself due to being able to directly help more people. She's obviously softened up after the encounter with Black Widow. After being mutated and turned back to normal at the end of part 5, she's clearly a nicer person due to the support she's gotten, is not as determined to have spider powers even if she could help more .

A minor point, but she showed none of her sarcasm in part 2 of "The Hobgoblin", and was also willing to help SpiderMan and keep his secret.

So, what have we learned about Gwen here? She's a smart, altruistic girl who's emotionally vulnerable and is level headed. The trailer for the season 2 premiere also hints at her being able to help directly without powers. Though briefly, we see that she's in some kind of command center, hinting that she'll act like mission control for him.

As for your last two questions, Gwen and Anya are my favorite female characters, and the other female characters have plenty of potential to develop more.

And that's my analysis on Gwen's character. What do you think?

Last edited:

Mr.O

Well, I can analyze Gwen if you want to. In fact, let me do it now.

Let's start at "Osborn Academy". One of her first scenes is where she's rescued by SpiderMan from the Jackal, but she criticizes him since (in her eyes), he messes up quite a bit when trying to save her. Later on, when she meets up with Peter Parker, and knows of how he saved Horizon High from the fire, she's flattered to meet him, and doesn't chastise him when he fumbles. Later on, when SpiderMan uses a suggestion she thought of, she's a bit snotty, but does give genuine thanks to him. This also helps establish her relationship with her uncle Raymond Warren, mainly in how he saved her from falling while as the Jackal, and she is shown being courteous to him at the end of the episode.

"A Day In The Life" helps show more of their family dynamic. Even with his shady motives, you can't deny that Raymond is genuine when he talks about how smart she is.

"Party Animals" kicks things into high gear. She's obviously crushed when she finds out that her uncle is the Jackal, but we also see her gain more respect for both SpiderMan and Peter Parker. When she confronts her uncle, SpiderMan manages to swoop in and save her, and he offers his condolences. When Peter Parker comes in to console her, she reveals how her uncle inspired her to pursue science, and Peter relates by saying how his uncle helped him pursue science. She's genuinely touched and gives him a hug. This helps her establish how she's legitimately starting to respect SpiderMan while also sow the seeds on how her relationship with Peter is important.

A brief moment, but in "Sandman", while Anya and Miles try to get others to safety due to the destruction that Sandman inadvertently caused, she's the one to suggest using one of the water guns, and modify it to work here. Plus, she's slightly miffed at SpiderMan for taking her invention, but doesn't linger on it.

In "Ultimate SpiderMan" , when Miles comes in and tells them that he has spider powers, while the girls are excited, Gwen is a bit more reserved, and thinks that they should analyze the effects. While not completely on the same level (since Peter being skeptical is because he doesn't want Miles to think he can goof off as a hero since Peter isn't a slacker), it does help show they're both generally level headed.

"Halloween Moon" helps show she's like a moral compass for others. She shows zero hesitation in wanting to keep the transformed kids safe, openly criticizes Hulk for the mindless destruction he does when trying to fight them off, and is very willing to work with SpiderMan. This altruism is further expanded in "Screwball Live", where she shows zero hesitation in helping Peter crack the code to Hammerhead's flash drive. Plus, when he remarks "I think what I was missing was you.", she flashes a small smile showing her appreciation for the sentiment. Also, they both dislike Screwball before her full heel face turn.

We see more of her dynamic with Peter in parts 1 and 4 of "Rise Of Doc Ock". In part 1, she's the most willing to put up with Otto and his ego, and is only slightly upset when Peter criticizes her before being nice to him when saying he should visit him in the hospital. Again, when you consider how "Halloween Moon" showed her as a moral compass, it works. In part 4, she's visibly crushed when she thinks SpiderMan destroyed her uncle, but quickly turns around when Peter tells her that the Jackal in prison was a fake. Plus, she's shown working effortlessly with both of them later on, or at least showing support.

This part well get a bit lengthy. The first two parts of "Spider Island" show quite a bit to her character. Because she was in the line of the explosion, she gains spider powers. While a bit shaky early on, she says: "My friend Peter Parker has a saying: 'With great power comes great responsibility.' ". If that doesn't spell out how important Peter is to her, I don't know what is. When she manages to stop the bomb and save the city, she lets her ego inflated with all the praise, and is rather condescending towards SpiderMan. In addition to being a great foul to Anya, who's nicer during heroic acts rather than real life, this also makes a great parallel to her uncle, and how they're different with powers than their normal selves. Raymond Warren presents himself as a genuinely good person, but his true colors are revealed as a vindictive monster in more ways than one. Gwen is still her altruistic self, and while she obviously has standards, is still emotionally vulnerable. Let's look back at "Party Animals" and the two Spider Island episodes she was in. She was crushed at how someone close to her was revealed to be a villain. Not only that, he caused mass amounts of destruction with destroying Midtown High. That would definitely traumatize a teenager. Those episodes show that, unless it's small scale or much more potentially fixable, she's traumatized by how bad things can get. Hence her cockiness makes sense since she just wants to feel better about herself due to being able to directly help more people. She's obviously softened up after the encounter with Black Widow. After being mutated and turned back to normal at the end of part 5, she's clearly a nicer person due to the support she's gotten, is not as determined to have spider powers even if she could help more .

A minor point, but she showed none of her sarcasm in part 2 of "The Hobgoblin", and was also willing to help SpiderMan and keep his secret.

So, what have we learned about Gwen here? She's a smart, altruistic girl who's emotionally vulnerable and is level headed. The trailer for the season 2 premiere also hints at her being able to help directly without powers. Though briefly, we see that she's in some kind of command center, hinting that she'll act like mission control for him.

As for your last two questions, Gwen and Anya are my favorite female characters, and the other female characters have plenty of potential to develop more.

And that's my analysis on Gwen's character. What do you think?

I feel both of your character assessments were great. They really point out the little details of the characters and focus on them. This is why I enjoy reading and watching character dissections.

I really think you where spot on with Anya and Gwen during Spider Island. They really added some dimension to both girls during that even, although I almost missed Anya's before you pointed it out. It showed that Gwen wasn't really this perfect, every-girl, and that she was indeed prone to getting an inflated ego. It also showed that despite, Anya's abrasive exterior, she is a pretty humble person deep down. And both of them are willing to grow and learn from their mistakes. I only hope that season 2 gets the time to expand on their personalities even more, along with the other females. Or perhaps by some miracle, Disney wants a season 3. The potential is there.

Toons Fan

Zap2it lists new Marvel's Spider-Man episodes for July.

5bd638a99d131631220846d3d903765b.png

8ad75ef0c01b010deb59861843c19d41.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spideyfan123

I wonder what is happening on bring on the baddies part 1 and 2 it could possibly the set up of superior Spider-Man

Venom is probably Eddie Brock and the the symbiote. Maybe he will be developed in the seven episodes of that aaga

Frontier

Staff member
Zap2it lists new Marvel's Spider-Man episodes for July.

5bd638a99d131631220846d3d903765b.png

8ad75ef0c01b010deb59861843c19d41.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"Rise Above it All" - I wonder if it means "rise above it all" as in Spidey has to rise above a bad guy or a frame of mind, or in a more literal sense o_O?

"School of Hard Knocks" - Sounds like Spidey is going to be getting into some fights, with it maybe being a school-oriented episode :sweat:?

"Dead Man's Party" - Uh...Norman Osbron returns from the dead as the Green Goblin? Pirates? Zombies :confused:?

"Venom Returns" - Doesn't take too much guess work to figure out what this episode is about :evil:.
I wonder what is happening on bring on the baddies part 1 and 2 it could possibly the set up of superior Spider-Man
"Bring on the Bad Guys" sounds like it will have a lot of villains, so maybe the Sinister Six :evil:?

I also wouldn't be surprised if it leads to Superior since it's a two-parter :ack:.

Also reminds me that "bring on the bad guys" was a line Peter said in season 1 :p.

Venom is probably Eddie Brock and the the symbiote. Maybe he will be developed in the seven episodes of that aaga
I would hope that they would do a good build-up to Eddie becoming Venom ;).

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I like how not all the titles reveal exactly what the episodes will be about (as opposed to USM, which had some pretty obvious titles during its run). I find "Dead Man's Hand" the most intriguing one. And yeah, "Bring on the Bad Guys" sounds like a Sinister Six story to me.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
New preview clip.
“Marvel’s Spider-Man” Season 2 premieres this Monday, with a special hour-long return that includes two brand new episodes, beginning at 6:30pm ET/PT on Disney XD.
First, in “How I Thwipped My Summer Vacation,” in a series of shorts, we follow Peter Parker as he tries to have the best summer vacation ever, only to have his plans be consistently ruined by his responsibilities as Spider-Man.
Then, in “Take Two,” Spider-Man is excited to start his second year as a super hero (and his second year as a student at Horizon High) but discovers that Doc Ock also claims to want a second chance… Can Otto be trusted?
Also some new images on Marvel.com.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
A series of shorts? Makes me think they were going to use the shorts to get us ready for the season again then just decided to air it as an episode.

This may sound weird, but Aunt May looks really pretty in this show.

When I saw her in the baseball getup on the one ad they've been running, I honestly thought it was Anya. I must not have been watching close enough.

Did anyone else notice XD using a lot of promo spots for the show that featured action figures instead of animation?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

WBD announces a Meerkat Manor animated film. In other news, the world suddenly remembers Meerkat Manor exists.
Today marks the 5th Year Anniversary of when the HD Double Pack of Final Fantasy X & X-2 was released on the Nintendo Switch in North America. It was nice to be able to play my favorite Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo system.
Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)

Featured Posts