"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 4 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I'm not sure what to think.

On the one hand, I guess it's possible they might be currently finishing work on the 3rd Season for the show. They were working on the 2nd Season last year in August (before the show even premiered), so there might be a chance they started work on another Season in advance. I also found some storyboards for the "Spider-Island" arc from one of the artists' involved with the show Tumblr page, and mentioned they were done in 2016 (but I can't find the link anymore), just as an example that stuff like this is done in advance.

On the other hand, if they are currently still only in the process of writing scripts, I think it would take at least another year until the episode is completed. (Anyone who is more knowledgeable about the production process, please feel free to correct me). So it might be another show altogether, which will be announced at a later time. Even more so if the reports of the current shows ending production are accurate.

Either way, we know they are currently working on an episodic Spider-Man project. I think at this point it's too early and vague to tell, so there's really no need for another thread speculating a new Spidey cartoon.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
I'm not sure what to think.

On the one hand, I guess it's possible they might be currently finishing work on the 3rd Season for the show. They were working on the 2nd Season last year in August (before the show even premiered), so there might be a chance they started work on another Season in advance. I also found some storyboards for the "Spider-Island" arc from one of the artists' involved with the show Tumblr page, and mentioned they were done in 2016 (but I can't find the link anymore), just as an example that stuff like this is done in advance.

On the other hand, if they are currently still only in the process of writing scripts, I think it would take at least another year until the episode is completed. (Anyone who is more knowledgeable about the production process, please feel free to correct me). So it might be another show altogether, which will be announced at a later time. Even more so if the reports of the current shows ending production are accurate.

Either way, we know they are currently working on an episodic Spider-Man project. I think at this point it's too early and vague to tell, so there's really no need for another thread speculating a new Spidey cartoon.
I'm curious if whatever this is, either a continuation or a new cartoon, is aimed at the Disney streaming service instead of Disney XD, since it seemed like that is what Disney was moving towards with Marvel Animation.

I'm also curious if Robbie Daymond will continue being Spider-Man.

WebMasterSage

Obey the Pecking Order.
You know in General, Marvel Animation Studios should've been absorbed into Disney Television Animation much like how Warner Bros Animation is doing for DC.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Just out of curiosity - does anyone else think that, if the show gets a 3rd Season, it would also get a new sub-title? (like all the other recent Marvel cartoons that went over 52 episodes received a new title for each new Season)

You know in General, Marvel Animation Studios should've been absorbed into Disney Television Animation much like how Warner Bros Animation is doing for DC.
There's a thread about that, in case you missed it.

Frontier

Staff member
Just out of curiosity - does anyone else think that, if the show gets a 3rd Season, it would also get a new sub-title? (like all the other recent Marvel cartoons that went over 52 episodes received a new title for each new Season)
If Guardians did by it's third season, I'd be surprised if it didn't, although they might also have a new title that differentiates it from the first two seasons of this show...

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Is j m demattis a good writef
Here's J.M. DeMatteis' IMDb page. You could check some of the other shows he's worked on and judge for yourself.

Opinions on his work might vary, but I for one consider him a good writer and have enjoyed pretty much all of his work on cartoons in the past, as well as some of his comic book work (only some because I haven't read that many of his comics).

Frontier

Staff member
DeMatteis is also responsible for some major Spider-Man stories in the comics, like Kraven's Last Hunt and Harry Osborn's death :cool:.

Two storylines I doubt we will be seeing on this show (although they referenced the latter) :sweat:.

SweetShop209

Then again, we didn't get any animated previews for the series until 2.5 months before it premiered. Besides, I assume the Marvel Animation layoffs make the higher ups more hesitant to announce the news.

Frontier

Staff member
When's D23 Expo this year? I'm almost tempted to think we'll get a splurge of information on season 2 there like we did for season 1.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I think D23 happens every two years, so there won't be one in 2018.

The San Diego Comic-Con (July 19th-22nd) seems to be the best place to promote the show this year.

Roxas_Sora

I wish for Mary Jane to officially debut in Season 2. And just like in the comics, I hope she got powers from Spider-Island. Reading the comics of "Renew Your Vows" truly makes me like the idea of Mary Jane with Spider-Powers.

SweetShop209

If Mary Jane does appear in season 2, I have a few ideas for potential candidates to voice her.

1. Cristina Pucelli- My reason for choosing her is due to her performance as Catwoman on DC Superhero Girls. While that version of Catwoman is still more morally ambiguous than MJ even with adaptational heroism, the times when she does good having her speaking in a softer register that I think is perfect for capturing MJ's niceness, as well as the sultriness that can translate well to her snarky side.

2. Lacey Chabert- Well, Kari Wahlgren has voiced both MJ and Gwen Stacy in some video games, so I figured having Lacey also take a crack at MJ would work too. Beyond that, my choice for her stems from her Young Justice performance as Zatanna, being able to capture what makes the character special even when aged down closer to Robin.

3. Ashlyn Selich- Yes, I chose the voice for the Lego DC Superhero Girls version of Batgirl to voice her. She has a fairly good range even when typecasted into plucky, young characters. Beyond Batgirl, she's also done Midge in some Barbie projects and Stella on Doc McStuffins. Take a look.

I feel these elements can help if she voices MJ.

4. Linda Cardellini- Yeah, I chose her mainly for her performance as Wendy form Gravity Falls, but she's able to capture many facets of Wendy's personality really well. Plus, they're both red headed in a sense, so it fits.

Frontier

Staff member
I wish for Mary Jane to officially debut in Season 2. And just like in the comics, I hope she got powers from Spider-Island. Reading the comics of "Renew Your Vows" truly makes me like the idea of Mary Jane with Spider-Powers.
I hope we do see Mary Jane finally properly appear and have a major role in season 2, but I think we already have enough prospective Spider-People that we don't need to give MJ powers, especially when they can barely manage with just Miles alongside Peter :sweat:.

Though I imagine she'll probably end up having to save Spidey at some point, powers or no powers :p.

I could see them giving Mary Jane her RYV bun hairstyle, if only because this show generally doesn't feature female characters with normal long hair (Anya being an exception) :rolleyes2:.

WebMasterSage

Obey the Pecking Order.
I have a few considerations on who should voice who in the next Season of the Show.

Stephanie Sheh as MJ (Sailor Moon wise you got Robbie Daymond as Spider-Man, so why Not Sheh as MJ)
Sean Schemmel as Eddie Brock/Venom (A larger role in Season 2, Nuff Said)
Donald Glover as Aaron Davis/Prowler (He was fantastic in Homecoming, would be great if he got to reprise)
J.B. Blanc as J. Jonah Jameson (Be honest, much like JK Simmons, JB Blanc as JJJ would be fitting when it comes to initials)
Crispin Freeman as Morbius (Hellsing Reference)
Charlie Adler as Carnage (That's all I'm saying)
Sam Riegel as Molten Man (To continue the trend of Former Spider-Man VAs in the Show)
John DiMaggio as Mysterio (If you wanna go Extremely Hammy & Over the top to fit this Fishbowl of a Wizard)

And I know the last one is shilling but it's too good to pass.
Jenny Slate as Firestar (Considering she's in the Venom movie, and as well she's Killing it at Disney when it comes to Zootopia & Star vs the Force of Evil)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
If they plan on having MJ with super-powers next Season (something I'm not completely on board with), I hope they at least don't show off her powers as soon as she's introduced. I wish there would be at least one episode with a more classic take on her (even if do they hint at her powers or something, just don't show her using them). Even USM for all its faults tried having a normal MJ at the start of the show. I kind of hope they try the same here.

Frontier

Staff member
Honestly, I think we're more likely to see them focus on Gwen and Anya getting their powers again and taking up costumed identities then give Mary Jane powers (assuming she even appears next season).

I do hope that, if Mary Jane does appear, we get a good "Face it Tiger..." moment :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts