"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 4 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spideyfan123

I wish they would get Victor cook to write the second season

Who is writing the second season by the way

Mod Note: Double Post merged.

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperFan2024

Shoo fly.
Eh, i've stopped watching the series a while ago. When we first got the announcement of the series, I was thrilled, but then we got our first clip of Spidey fighting the Scorpion (remember that?) and then my hopes got a little muffled. When we got those "origin" shorts I got a little bit more happy as Origin 6 was just awesome, but the series so far has been disappointing me. The Black Suit (Symbiote) episodes were alright but there are still numerous reasons as to why this show just isn't my cup of tea.

Also, has a second season been announced yet?

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Who is writing the second season by the way
I presume the main writing staff hasn't changed between seasons. There might be some more guest writers for a couple of episodes. I recall Jennifer Muro mentioned in an interview she wrote for the show, but I don't think I saw her name on any of the Season One episodes.

Also, has a second season been announced yet?
Yes, it was officially announced on January 24th, but it was hinted in an earlier interview from last year they were working on the next Season before the show even premiered.

Frontier

Staff member
I wonder how long we'll have to wait until we get some season 2 news.

I imagine, as far as production goes, Guardians season 3 is probably the first new show we'll get once Avengers: Secret Wars is finished, though I would think Disney/Marvel would try and get out Avengers: Panther's Quest not long after to tie-in to the movie hype.

We might have to wait until a Marvel Animation panel at Comic-Con (if there is one) for any major news.

Matt Parker

Allright. I finally finished the last 7 episodes (College is very, very busy). Overall, I think Season One ended on a strong yet imperfect note.

The Spider-Island storyline was pretty good. I didn't love the first episode, but it picked up from there. Lots of really cool action beats and some fun guest appearances by villains before we hit the main Jackal conflict. Making Norman the Spider King was a bizarre choice, but whatever. I'd say I liked it about as much as the comic book storyline they based it on.

The Hobgoblin story arc was a bit better and was overall a good season finale. I liked seeing Peter take on the Sinister Five in all their glory, and I really enjoyed that Harry finally forgave Peter and they ended the season just as good of friends as they started it. Plus, Peter saving the bus at the end was a really great moment, and an excellent callback to the similar scene in ASM 33 and Homecoming. However, Norman's super villain debut felt underwhelming. He didn't have any interesting lines and the acton scenes didn't blow me away. Hopefully he returns next year as a more proper Green Goblin, because I have mostly liked how the character has been portrayed this season.

Overall, this was a very enjoyable season for me. I'll make a post later breaking down exactly what I felt did and didn't work, but on the whole I'm definitely glad to have a really fun Spider-Man show on the air again, and Season Two could definitely be really cool. Cheers!

Frontier

Staff member
The Hobgoblin story arc was a bit better and was overall a good season finale. I liked seeing Peter take on the Sinister Five in all their glory,
Well, to be fair, he mostly just fought them one on one, though thankfully he was able to beat three of them without needing any help for once :p.
He didn't have any interesting lines and the acton scenes didn't blow me away. Hopefully he returns next year as a more proper Green Goblin, because I have mostly liked how the character has been portrayed this season.
Yeah, I was kind of bummed that they didn't really do much with Norman as a full-on Goblin villain, or that we didn't get to see Josh Keaton do a proper Goblin voice or play a Norman gone nuts :(.

Hopefully that's rectified next season ;).

Matt Parker

Hopefully that's rectified next season ;).
I agree. It's really weird that the Season Two synopsis makes it sound like Doc Ock is the main villain, since that's the opposite of what I would have thought based on the way this season ended (with Osborn potentially on the loose and Ock soundly beaten and in jail).

Frontier

Staff member
http://fanbasepress.com/index.php/p...tt-on-stretch-armstrong-and-the-flex-fighters

Kevin Burke and Chris Doc Wyatt took part in an interview. While it's mainly about Stretch Armstrong, it mentions a few things about this series.
They were supervising producers for season 1, right? Though it sounds like they're taking over a lot of Kevin Shinick's responsibilities for season 2 o_O.

I'm guessing the "classic Spidey elements" that we haven't seen a while will be Peter at the Daily Bugle :D.

Probably too much to hope for them bringing back Spidey's love life :rolleyes2:.

SweetShop209

They were supervising producers for season 1, right? Though it sounds like they're taking over a lot of Kevin Shinick's responsibilities for season 2 o_O.

I'm guessing the "classic Spidey elements" that we haven't seen a while will be Peter at the Daily Bugle :D.
It does seem like it given that Kevin & Chris took over as showrunners in season 4 of UltimateSpiderMan, which is the best received season of the show. Plus, it's not impossible to juggle two shows at once. For example, we have Craig Gerber juggling both Sofia The First and Elena Of Avalor, helped by how they're both on the same network. For shows on different networks, there's Nicole Dubuc having worked on Miles From Tomorrowland season 1 while Transformers Rescue Bots was still running, and how she has both Lego Elves and My Little Pony as her current shows.

Frontier

Staff member
It does seem like it given that Kevin & Chris took over as showrunners in season 4 of UltimateSpiderMan, which is the best received season of the show. Plus, it's not impossible to juggle two shows at once. For example, we have Craig Gerber juggling both Sofia The First and Elena Of Avalor, helped by how they're both on the same network. For shows on different networks, there's Nicole Dubuc having worked on Miles From Tomorrowland season 1 while Transformers Rescue Bots was still running, and how she has both Lego Elves and My Little Pony as her current shows.
I'm not surprised to see them taking over as showrunners, since they seemed to juggle USM and their season of Avengers Assemble just fine, but I just found it odd that they seemed to have replaced Shinick in terms of running the show o_O.

Last edited:

SweetShop209

I'm not surprised to see them taking over as showrunners, since they seemed to juggle USM and their season of Avengers Assemble just fine, but I just found it odd that they seemed to have replaced Shinick in terms of running the show o_O.
Maybe there was some behind the scenes drama. I mean, we heard about the Marvel Animation layoffs, which could've started much earlier last year, and was held off from being released until recently. Maybe Kevin Shinick's role was reduced because of this, and Kevin & Chris were brought due to how, of all the show's writers/producers, they have the most experience with Marvel Animation, with their experience dating back to Iron Man: Armored Adventures.

Frontier

Staff member
Images from Toy Fair with possibly our first look at the Green Goblin:
Hasbro01.jpg

Roxas_Sora

He loois lone a mixture between hobgoblin and classic green goblin

Well, duh!! In the last episode, Norman was wearing the HobGoblin's armor when suddenly, there's an explosion with a green liquid. If this figure is good, we can assume the green liquid must be the Jackal's serum. And just like in the 90's series, the green gas mutated Norman into a REAL Goblin and tinted his armor with green and purple; creating the Green Goblin with the HobGoblin's material.

brodie999

Well, duh!! In the last episode, Norman was wearing the HobGoblin's armor when suddenly, there's an explosion with a green liquid. If this figure is good, we can assume the green liquid must be the Jackal's serum. And just like in the 90's series, the green gas mutated Norman into a REAL Goblin and tinted his armor with green and purple; creating the Green Goblin with the HobGoblin's material.
Yeah, but it also made him develop schizophrenia which made him think that the Goblin and Norman Osborn are seperate people and he wanted to kill everyone who hurt him throughout his life. He even goaded Harry into becoming the second Goblin by offering his son to rescue him from Limbo if he destroyed Spider-Man.

Matt Parker

Ok. After thinking about my thoughts, I've decided to breakdown 9 things I think really worked in Season One and 3 that didn't. Here we go
What worked:

1) The voice cast was excellent. Robbie Daymond is, for my money, one of the best Peter Parker's ever. He joins the ranks of Josh Keaton, Christopher Daniel Barnes, and Neal Patrick Harris for me. I think pretty much every character was well cast and all the actors did a phenomenal job, especially Max Mittleman as Harry, Scott Menville as Doc Ock, John DiMaggio as the Jackal, and Josh Keaton as Norman Osborn.

2) The animation. I know the show has been criticized by many, but I liked the animation a lot. The character designs were detailed enough to look very cool, but simple enough for the motion to be fluid and exciting. There were several excellent sequences of Spider-Man swinging through the city and almost every episode had at least one cinematic action moment.

3) I liked that the show focused more on the Spider-Man rogues gallery. We actually got a lot of classic villains this season, like Vulture, Kraven, Rhino, the Spider-Slayers, Scorpion, Black Cat, and more. These characters were all utilized pretty damn well and it was nice to see the classic villains after Ultimate focused more on Spider-Man in the Marvel universe. That being said...

4) We still got to see Spider-Man finding himself within a larger universe. We saw him make a name for himself in a world that already has many of the major Marvel heroes, and seeing him impress the likes of Black Widow, Iron Man, and the Hulk was really fun. Plus, we got to see Spidey take on marvel villains that he usually doesn't run into very much, like Absorbing Man, Blizzard, and the Crimson Dynamo. The integration of the larger Marvel universe felt much more organic than it did in Ultimate (I hate to keep raging on that show, but it wasn't my thing).

5) The origin shorts started with a pre-spider bite Peter, and we got to see his journey from a dorky kid on a field trip to a reasonably established hero with a sidekick (forced as the latter inclusion was; more on that later...) over the course of a season. I really dug how bumbling Spidey was in the first episode. He was still wearing a crappy homemade costume and everything. Plus, the flashbacks to Uncle Ben were handled wonderfully.

6)How serialized the season was. While mostly standalone episodes weren't completely uncommon (Spider-Man on Ice, Screwball Live, and Halloween Moon probably being the closest to that we got) most of the episodes built on each other. From the Jackal's schemes to Peter's friendship with Harry to Norman Osborn's schemes to the Venom suit, the show gave its storylines plenty of time to breathe. I really appreciated that, and it made the show feel even more like the Spider-Man comics.

7) Jackal and Doc Ock. I'm roping these two together for the sake of brevity, but I was thrilled at how the show used both of these villains. The Jackal is a very prominent comic book villain (heck, there's probably an argument to be made that he is the fourth major arch enemy after the "big three") and yet he is never included in adaptations. Seeing him as arguably the main villain of the season (or at least co-main villain) was really cool and made the show feel fresh. John DiMaggio did great work with the character and I hope this opens the door to seeing Jackal get used more in adaptations. Doc Ock, on the other hand, was reinvented slightly to feel fresh while still sticking close to the original concept of the character. Making him Peter's age and teasing the possibility of him joining Peter as a sidekick was such a cool idea and it made his turn to villainy feel punchier. While I'm slightly skeptical about his being the main villain next year, I really dug this version of the character.

8) Subverting expectations. The series was able to follow the comics closely enough to feel like a Spider-Man show, but changed just enough to make things feel fresh (important for a franchise this massive). Norman being the Hobgoblin, Octavius being Peter's age, and Horizon High made the show feel fresh.

9) Peter and Harry. I know some people were;t thrilled by how Harry was written, but I thought he ended up in a great place (even if there were some bumps along the way). The best thing about Harry was that he didn't go where you thought he would by the end. He never succumbed to the revenge driven insanity that most versions fall into, and the fact that he ended the series as Peter's friend was a great twist in and of itself.

Now for 3 things I think the show could improve on in the future.

1) Miles. Miles never really felt necessary, and his early origin as the second Spider-Man (Kid Arachnid?) never really worked. It felt like he was shoehorned in to capitalize on the character's current popularity more than because the story needed him. He came and went at bizarre times and just felt like extra baggage. Plus, his inclusion makes Harry feel less special as Peter's best friend, and I think the Doc Ock arc would have worked more if Otto had been the first "sidekick" Peter had ever had.

2) While the show did a good job early on of focusing on Peter balancing his civilian and superhero lives, this balance was lost in the last third of the season. I want to see more of Peter at school or even more Aunt May, who appeared way less than I would have expected. Luckily, with Season Two introducing the Bugle, it looks like this problem might be remedied.

3) Norman Osborn'a arc had a lackluster ending. I liked Norman a lot in his early appearances, but by the end of the season it felt like the writers were becoming confused as to where they wanted to take him. His turn as the Hobgoblin was underwhelming, and his role as the Spider-King was downright baffling. Norman needs to return as a proper Green Goblin next year.

Overall, I like the season a lot. This is definitely a show I want to buy on DVD and add to my Spidey collection when it hits (and that's almost the best compliment I can give something Spider-Man related!).

Last edited:

Troy Troodon

Nothing episode related, just thought I'd try drawing Sandgirl, Shocker and Clash for fun. Still needs work.

Attachments

• keemia and boys.png
    keemia and boys.png
    624.2 KB · Views: 223
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts