"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 4 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
While watching Phineas And Ferb, there was a commercial for "Spider Island", and it showed a brief glimpse of Spider Gwen. I also saw Anya, and I remember she wore a different outfit. This will definitely be something to look forward to.

Frontier

Staff member
While watching Phineas And Ferb, there was a commercial for "Spider Island", and it showed a brief glimpse of Spider Gwen. I also saw Anya, and I remember she wore a different outfit. This will definitely be something to look forward to.
Anya looks like she's joining up with Harry and riding Goblin Gliders :eek:.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Cool teaser :cool:.

Although the description kind of just reminds me that giving everyone Spider-Powers just seems to make Peter feel less unique as Spider-Man, though hopefully this arc clearly illustrates what makes Peter special in that role as well :).

Joe Wagner

The one, true Scarlet Spider!
The Spider-Island episodes look like they could be fun. Really starting to come around on this series, but still disappointed by not getting an Ultimate Spidey Season 5 with more Scarlet Spider. Given the current clone storyline though, I can't imagine Ben Reilly and Kaine are far behind.

Frontier

Staff member
The Spider-Island episodes look like they could be fun. Really starting to come around on this series, but still disappointed by not getting an Ultimate Spidey Season 5 with more Scarlet Spider. Given the current clone storyline though, I can't imagine Ben Reilly and Kaine are far behind.
I'm curious if we'll see The Jackal obtain Spider-Man's blood at some point during Spider-Island :ack:.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Here's a new clip from the "Spider-Island" story-arc:

Marvel's Spider-Man - "Spider-Island Part One" & "Spider-Island Part Two"
As everyone in Manhattan is manifesting spider powers, SPIDER-MAN and SPIDER-GWEN must help BLACK WIDOW track down CROSSBONES before he delivers stolen vibranium to ARNIM ZOLA and HYDRA.
Sunday, February 4th on Disney XD (8:00 – 9:00 A.M. ET/PT)

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I'm pretty sure that Laura Bailey is playing Black Widow again.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
- Black Widow's new look might be an attempt to make this more in-line with the designs for the next Season of Avengers Assemble, where she's supposed to look like this. The design will take a while to get used to.

- It's funny how Crossbones was turned into Lizard back on Ultimate Spider-Man, and here he gets spider-powers.

- Minor complaint, but it would have been nice if each of the 5 parts from this story-arc had a different sub-title (like Part 1 is apparently called "The Invisible Threat"), similar to how Avengers Assemble had their "Civil War" arc last season, or Hulk & the Agents of SMASH has the "Days of Future SMASH" arc.

Frontier

Staff member
Here's a new clip from the "Spider-Island" story-arc:

Oh hey, Crossbones and Hydra. This is giving me some USM flashbacks :p.

Also nice to see Black Widow here, given she was one of the Avengers who never got to really get a solo team-up with Spidey in USM :).

Gwen obviously has her spider-powers and costume now, though no mask. Why would she got to the trouble of making a skintight costume on-par with Spider-Man if she's not even going to wear a mask o_O?

I know she mentioned before that she didn't think you needed a secret identity like Spider-Man had, but it still seems weird. Are we in for another thing like Miles where she ends up realizing the need for her to have a secret identity and start wearing her mask from the comics?

And what point does the hood serve? Is she Oliver Queen now :rolleyes2:?

She does seem to make a pretty good team with Peter though :cool:.
I'm pretty sure that Laura Bailey is playing Black Widow again.
Well, given she's in the main cast, it would've been weirder if she didn't reprise Widow ;).
Not a fan of Black Widow’s hair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does this show have a thing for girls with short hair? They gave Black Cat a bob, Gwen always wears her hair up, and now Black Widow is wearing some kind of weird buzzcut :sweat:.

I guess Anya has long hair but she hardly ever appears anymore :shrug:.

Capt.Traphouse

Sexiest Thing Since Sex
I actually love Black Widow's new hair, if anything I hate seeing Crossbones who has to be the least interesting character that Marvel keeps pushing for some reason. Dude looks like a rejected GI Joe, people who like Crossbones drive to middle school.

Oh hey, Crossbones and Hydra. This is giving me some USM flashbacks :p.

Also nice to see Black Widow here, given she was one of the Avengers who never got to really get a solo team-up with Spidey in USM :).

Gwen obviously has her spider-powers and costume now, though no mask. Why would she got to the trouble of making a skintight costume on-par with Spider-Man if she's not even going to wear a mask o_O?

I know she mentioned before that she didn't think you needed a secret identity like Spider-Man had, but it still seems weird. Are we in for another thing like Miles where she ends up realizing the need for her to have a secret identity and start wearing her mask from the comics?

And what point does the hood serve? Is she Oliver Queen now :rolleyes2:?

She does seem to make a pretty good team with Peter though :cool:.

Well, given she's in the main cast, it would've been weirder if she didn't reprise Widow ;).

Does this show have a thing for girls with short hair? They gave Black Cat a bob, Gwen always wears her hair up, and now Black Widow is wearing some kind of weird buzzcut :sweat:.

I guess Anya has long hair but she hardly ever appears anymore :shrug:.

The arc looks interesting and the action on this show has become much more dynamic, looking forward to it. I do hope we return to Peter's social life, we haven't seen Aunt May in a while.

Frontier

Staff member
I actually love Black Widow's new hair, if anything I hate seeing Crossbones who has to be the least interesting character that Marvel keeps pushing for some reason. Dude looks like a rejected GI Joe, people who like Crossbones drive to middle school.
I think Crossbones work as a Hydra thug, even if I think you're missing something when you leave out just how vicious and sadistic he can be :ack:.

Otherwise he can feel a little one-note...
The arc looks interesting and the action on this show has become much more dynamic, looking forward to it. I do hope we return to Peter's social life, we haven't seen Aunt May in a while.
I don't think we've gotten any action sequences on par with Spectacular yet, but so far I'd say the action on the show has gotten pretty solid (although I think the animation undercuts it sometimes) :).

I honestly don't think we've seen Aunt May since, like, episode 5 or 6. I think she was used more in the first season of Ultimate Spider-Man by comparison :sweat:.
I like Black Widow with Spider-Powers, now she honors her name. She should keep them at the end of the arc.
Well, we've made enough jokes about all the times Black Widow has seemingly super-strength for no reason. At least this would explain it :p.

Capt.Traphouse

Sexiest Thing Since Sex
My only hope is that they took their time with this, this show is great when it goes slow, it is not when it moves fast and then references undeveloped plot points (Harry's beef with Spiderman, Miles introduction, the Symbiote).

I think Crossbones work as a Hydra thug, even if I think you're missing something when you leave out just how vicious and sadistic he can be :ack:.

Otherwise he can feel a little one-note...

I don't think we've gotten any action sequences on par with Spectacular yet, but so far I'd say the action on the show has gotten pretty solid (although I think the animation undercuts it sometimes) :).

I honestly don't think we've seen Aunt May since, like, episode 5 or 6. I think she was used more in the first season of Ultimate Spider-Man by comparison :sweat:.

Well, we've made enough jokes about all the times Black Widow has seemingly super-strength for no reason. At least this would explain it :p.

Frontier, I cannot see it and I'm a Captain America stan. We both squeed over Baron Zemo in AA, but I just cannot learn to love the Crossbones.

Agreed on the SS action scenes, we're not there yet but this show has the potential.

I didn't even blink when Black Widow knocked out Crossbones in one kick lol. The Marvel propaganda is working.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Black Widow's hair reminds me of her 90s hair, just with shaved sides.

I like Crossbones as muscle, similar to how guys like Grim Reaper and Taskmaster can be used. I'm pretty glad at the moment that we aren't seeing that much Destroyer anymore, so I suppose I can empathize with getting fed up when certain antagonists are overused.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Joe Wagner

The one, true Scarlet Spider!
That Black Widow hair cut is just awful, I think she should target whoever gave her that cut instead of worrying about Crossbones.

I'm curious if we'll see The Jackal obtain Spider-Man's blood at some point during Spider-Island :ack:.

I would think that we would see something along that lines before the first season ends, especially given the role the Jackal has played so far. It does seem a little odd to revisit cloning so early in this series though, considering how USM ended with a slew of Spider-clones and spider-powered characters running around.

Frontier

Staff member
My only hope is that they took their time with this, this show is great when it goes slow, it is not when it moves fast and then references undeveloped plot points (Harry's beef with Spiderman, Miles introduction, the Symbiote).
(Cough)Otto becoming Doc Ock(Cough) :rolleyes2:.

I like Crossbones as muscle, similar to how guys like Grim Reaper and Taskmaster can be used. I'm pretty glad at the moment that we aren't seeing that much Destroyer anymore, so I suppose I can empathize with getting fed up when certain antagonists are overused.
Don't jinx us Rick, you never know what they might bring in for a Thor team-up :p.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I think I remember reading something about the 2003 Spidey cartoon that the girls had short hair because it was easier to animate. But I don't know if that applies here as well, it might have been something to do with the style of that show.

I've seen it suggested somewhere else Maximus the Mad might be responsible for Widow's bad hair-do, similar to what he did to Medusa on the live-action Inhumans show. :p

Using Crossbones is fine with me, though I do find it odd he's mostly fighting other heroes instead of Cap these days.

If Jackal does manage to clone Spidey next season, he probably won't clone Mary-Jane as well like he did on the 90s cartoon. It would be kind of funny if the first time we see MJ here she explodes because she was an unstable clone.

Frontier

Staff member
I think I remember reading something about the 2003 Spidey cartoon that the girls had short hair because it was easier to animate. But I don't know if that applies here as well, it might have been something to do with the style of that show.
I remember Mary Jane had more of a bob cut in that cartoon instead of her usual long hair. I guess that explains that...
Using Crossbones is fine with me, though I do find it odd he's mostly fighting other heroes instead of Cap these days.
I just find it odd that they keep pitting Spider-Man against Hydra, Crossbones, and Arnim Zola :sweat:.
If Jackal does manage to clone Spidey next season, he probably won't clone Mary-Jane as well like he did on the 90s cartoon. It would be kind of funny if the first time we see MJ here she explodes because she was an unstable clone.
Now I'm just thinking they're so averse to showing Mary Jane on this show that they'd use a clone instead of the genuine article :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

WBD announces a Meerkat Manor animated film. In other news, the world suddenly remembers Meerkat Manor exists.
Today marks the 5th Year Anniversary of when the HD Double Pack of Final Fantasy X & X-2 was released on the Nintendo Switch in North America. It was nice to be able to play my favorite Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo system.
Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)

Featured Posts