"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 4 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frontier

Staff member
I'm picturing MJ's face being obscured every time she shows up.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
Well, that would have some basis in the comics :p.
maryjane.jpg

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
They could always keep MJ in that mascot suit from "Venom". Then after the show ends the crew would joke they were about to show her face if the show had another season. :p

Peter Parker

If it's true, think I know why they're ending their run of shows. I'm betting that this series isn't one that will be cancelled, but rather the other ones will be, so they could make a new "Marvel Animation Universe"/MAU. They've already established The Avengers as being a part of this world, and since Marvel now has Fantastic 4, and X-Men, they could possibly include those guys for marketing purposes. Heck, if anything this could mean a much larger MAU. Seeing as how they have no problem telling solo-based stories, seeing another Hulk solo series with occasional team-ups like on here would be nice

Frontier

Staff member
If it's true, think I know why they're ending their run of shows. I'm betting that this series isn't one that will be cancelled, but rather the other ones will be, so they could make a new "Marvel Animation Universe"/MAU. They've already established The Avengers as being a part of this world, and since Marvel now has Fantastic 4, and X-Men, they could possibly include those guys for marketing purposes. Heck, if anything this could mean a much larger MAU. Seeing as how they have no problem telling solo-based stories, seeing another Hulk solo series with occasional team-ups like on here would be nice
Given how much Marvel Animation has struggled to keep a consistent or meaningful continuity even with their old shows, I'm not sure how I would feel about them rebooting and trying again with the FF and X-Men in tow :ack:.
With Joe Quesada involved, I doubt Mary will show up anytime soon.
With Dan Slott as a story consultant, I wouldn't expect Mary Jane to have a major role even if she did appear :shrug:.

Troy Troodon

Given how much Marvel Animation has struggled to keep a consistent or meaningful continuity even with their old shows, I'm not sure how I would feel about them rebooting and trying again with the FF and X-Men in tow :ack:.

With Dan Slott as a story consultant, I wouldn't expect Mary Jane to have a major role even if she did appear :shrug:.

Man is it me, or does Marvel really just dislike Mary Jane Watson?!

SweetShop209

Man is it me, or does Marvel really just dislike Mary Jane Watson?!
I don't think Marvel dislikes Mary Jane. They just want to push Gwen more, much like Peter Parker always stays a teenager/young adult in live action and animation since that's the iMage they want to push.

Frontier

Staff member
I don't think Marvel dislikes Mary Jane. They just want to push Gwen more, much like Peter Parker always stays a teenager/young adult in live action and animation since that's the iMage they want to push.
I think the reason Gwen is so prominent here is more because of her Superhero identity and less because of her traditional relationship to Peter.

I mean, that's the main reason Miles and Anya are on this show.

Frontier

Staff member
So Gwen dying is most likely not going to be a thing ever again.
When they can market her as a Superhero? Probably not.

I think the only chance there was to see Gwen's death in animation was in Spectacular, and only for the college era direct-to-DVD movies Weisman was planning to do.

Joe Wagner

The one, true Scarlet Spider!

Marvel has continued to push Renew Your Vows and the daily strip still features MJ. Considering this is Disney, I could see a show featuring a married Peter and MJ raising a young Annie. Get someone like Weisman or Craig Kyle involved, and you could have a solid series on your hands. Unfortunately, Disney is tied to re-presenting the origins of Spidey over and over again.

When they can market her as a Superhero? Probably not.

I think the only chance there was to see Gwen's death in animation was in Spectacular, and only for the college era direct-to-DVD movies Weisman was planning to do.

I loved Spectacular and would have really liked to see how the series would have played out over 4-5 years, complete with all the DTV releases.

Roxas_Sora

I have something to share. This is not official information, but I have some suspictions about future events in Season 2 of "Marvel's Spider-Man", involving most of the Spider-Characters. Let's see:

1º) A new version of the Web Warriors will appear in this series, with the main members being Spider-Man (Peter Parker), Miles Morales, Gwen Stacy and Anya. Gwen and Anya will regain their powers somehow, just like Anya in the comics, somehow retained her Spider-Powers even after injecting her the cure. Some of the criminals Gwen captured unmasked will go after her, making her realize a secret identity is needed in this job. So, Gwen will start to use a mask, and to make everyone believe she's not the new Spider-Gwen, Anya will surely help her posing as "Spider-Gwen" in front of everyone or something.

2º) "Ultimate Spider-Man" trick of "combining Spiders" will be reused in Season (like mixing Kaine's Scarlet Spider with Ben Reilly's name). The first obvious example will be Anya wearing s suit that comibines her Spider-Girl's costume with the last one used by Silk (Cindy Moon). I suspect there will be more, but I will talk about them later.

3º) As much as I hate to say it, it seems "Superior Spider-Man" will be used here. (Which it doesn't have sense, as Octopus doesn't have need to do it; his body is healthy). But luckily, this won't take more than 4 or 5 episodes. The "Superior Spider-Man" will surely put all the other spiders to work and save Peter.

4º) Miguel O'Hara could actually appear with his suit from ANAD here. He could appear in a similar way to the comics during "Superior Spider-Man", although it surprises me that Horizon High will do something as big as make "time experiments". His role could include changes in the future, as we could see Oscorp becoming Alchemax; as it is said that Oscorp Tower will be destroyed at the end of Spider-Island.

5º) There will be a crossover with the Guardians of the Galaxy, that will involve Spider-Man, Flash Thompson AND Venom. In the end, we could see Flash becoming Agent Venom, but with a look that will actually be a mix between Agent Venom's look with the Guardians and Black Suit Spider-Man. (His soldier look wouldn't have much sense, unless Flash takes tech from some other place, just like in USM he took pieces from the Beetle's armor). In the end, Flash will also join the Web Warriors as another spider.

6º) Ollie Osnick could also join the Web Warriors, only his look as "Steel Spider" (as he will become that in HobGoblin) will be "upgraded" into "Iron Spider".

7º) Anti-Venom will appear in Season 2. How?, I don't know, but if the rumors about Mr Negative are true, he will likely have a role in it.

8º) We will have a Mini-Clone Saga with the Jackal and Spider-Man's DNA. By the look of it, I have the theory of just 2 Clones, mixing traits of several spiders:
+ A male one, based on Kaine as the Scarlet Spider, but with Ben Reilly's name and using Anti-Venom as a suit (so the healing powers of Anti-Venom keep the clone stable).
+ A female one, based on Ultimate Jessica Drew, using her original suit as Spider-Woman, with personality's traits of the original Ben Reilly and the name of "Scarlet Spider".

9º) Mary Jane Watson could appear in Season 2, and time later, we would discover she also has Spider-Powers from Spider-Island. I don't have a clear idea about her codename, but I have some suspictions:
+ Using Iron-Spider's armor, like in the comics, although if Ollie Osnick get it, it would be unlikely.
+ She could also get a piece of Venom (Mania) and become Spinneret in black suit, just like in "Renew Your Vows".
+ She could get some traces from Silk, like the part of Peter and Silk feeling attracted to each other. (I never liked this part of Silk, but it would had more sense to have it with Mary Jane).

Well, what do you think of my ideas?

Dragnatek

While it would mean changing her costume Gwen can claim she lost her powers after the whole spider Island thing and then use the Spider Woman name. Using her costume as Spider Gwen is a problem but the Spider Virus is a good cover.

Frontier

Staff member
While it would mean changing her costume Gwen can claim she lost her powers after the whole spider Island thing and then use the Spider Woman name. Using her costume as Spider Gwen is a problem but the Spider Virus is a good cover.
Given Marvel seems to be pushing "Ghost Spider" for Gwen's Superhero codename I wouldn't be surprised if they work that in here.

I'm not sure how Gwen could maintain a secret identity when she's currently turned herself into a celebrity Superhero. Even if she starts wearing her comic mask people will still automatically associate that costume with Gwen Stacy unless she just publicly claims she's still de-powered and someone stole her costume :sweat:.

Heck, it doesn't seem like she really minds having a public identity so she'd probably need a reason to have to keep her identity a secret, which so far the show has given no inclination of giving her o_O.

Frontier

Staff member
I read on tv tropes that, even if the show wasn't cancelled, he apparently had no plans to kill her off.
I don't think he planned to kill her off in the actual TV show, but from interviews it seemed like the plan was to save that for the college-era direct-to-DVD movies where they would've been able to get away with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts