"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 4 (Spoilers)

Latest News

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
7,942 6
A Valid Location
Welcome to the fourth installment of the Marvel's Spider-Man News and Discussion Thread, here on the Marvel Animation Forum! Keep up to date with any news about Marvel's newest animated series, and use this thread to discuss them in a civilized manner!

MARVEL'S SPIDER-MAN
Sundays on Disney XD

Marvel's Spider-Man series description:
In the new series, “Marvel’s Spider-Man,” we will see a fresh take on Spider-Man, as Peter Parker is learning the responsibility that comes along with being a new, super-powered hero in New York City, just as he’s being accepted into Horizon High, a high school for brilliant young scientific minds. He struggles with the duality of his social life at school and hiding his secret identity from everyone including his best friend Harry Osborn, who attends the competing Osborn Academy for geniuses. As Peter embraces his alter-ego and takes on super villains such as Vulture, Lizard, Doctor Octopus and Sandman, he watches his hero lifestyle come between his personal relationships and struggles to keep Harry from landing on the wrong side of the law.
Marvel's Spider-Man cast and crew details:
The “Marvel’s Spider-Man” voice cast includes: Robbie Daymond (“Bread Winners,” “Get Blake”) as Spider-Man, Max Mittleman as Harry Osborn (“One-Punch Man,” “Transformers: Robots in Disguise”), Nadji Jeter as Miles Morales (“Jessie,” “Kirby Buckets”), Melanie Minichino (“Blaze and the Monster Machine,” “Mr. Peabody and Sherman”) as Anya Corazon, Fred Tatasciore (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble,” “Marvel’s Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.”) as Max Modell, Laura Bailey (“DragonBall Z,” “Marvel’s Avengers Assemble”) as Gwen Stacy, Nancy Linari (“The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest,” “The Addams Family”) as Aunt May, Patton Oswalt (“Ratatouille,” “Pickle and Peanut”) as Uncle Ben, Scott Menville (“Teen Titans,” “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles”) as Doc Ock, John DiMaggio (“Clarence,” “Samurai Jack”) as The Jackal, Alastair Duncan (“The Batman,” “Final Fantasy XIV”) as Vulture, and Marvel’s very own Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada, who is also executive producing the series, as the coffee shop owner Joe.
The creative team includes executive producers Alan Fine (“Marvel’s The Avengers”), Dan Buckley (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble”), Joe Quesada (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble”), Jeph Loeb (“Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.”), Cort Lane (“Marvel’s Ultimate Spider-Man”), and Eric Radomski (“Spawn,” “Marvel’s Avengers Assemble”); co-executive producers Stan Lee (“Spider-Man”) and Stephen Wacker (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble”); supervising producers Kevin Shinick (“Robot Chicken,” “Mad”) and Marsha Griffin (“Transformers Prime”); consulting producers Dan Slott (“Spider-Man: Big Time,” “The Superior Spider-Man”), Kevin Burke and Chris “Doc” Wyatt (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble,” “Marvel’s Ultimate Spider-Man”); and supervising director Philip Pignotti (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble”).

Stay tuned for further developments!
Comments?

Previous Discussion Threads:

"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)
"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)
"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 3 (Spoilers)

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Continuing from the previous thread, here are the episodes scheduled to premiere in January 2018 on Disney XD:
AIR DATE: 01/21/2018
“THE RISE OF DOC OCK, PART ONE”
When Otto Octavius is caught in an explosion that fuses his robot arms to his body, Spider-Man sees the opportunity to recruit “The Octopus” into becoming a hero.
AIR DATE: 01/21/2018
“THE RISE OF DOC OCK, PART TWO”
Spidey invites The Octopus to patrol the streets alongside Miles and himself until it becomes clear that Otto isn’t exactly a team player.
AIR DATE: 01/28/2018
“THE RISE OF DOC OCK, PART THREE”
Peter spends a day at Oz Academy in the hopes of finding a clue that will convince Harry that his Dad is out to destroy Spider-Man.
AIR DATE: 01/28/2018
“THE RISE OF DOC OCK, PART FOUR”
Spider-Man must team up with Gwen Stacy and a reluctant Harry Osborn to investigate the truth behind the missing Raymond Warren aka the Jackal.

ChessKing

Jun 8, 2014
Ratings
United Kingdom
Do you think Gwen and Anya will get there powers in the Spider-Island arc and do you think there powers will be permanent or do you think they will be cured by the end of it??

Just saw some leaked clips on youtube for Spider-Island arc Gwen gets her powers in part 1 and helps Spidey take down an evil spider she calls Stealth-Spider, She wears her costume with the hood but no mask in part 2 and her identity is known to the public as the Police who have Spider-Powers themselves call her Spider-Gwen, Hydra and Black Widow appear in the Spider-Island arc, Black Widow has acquired Spider-Powers due to the storyline and she also has a new look as she is not sporting long hair but has it cut short same voice actress from Avengers: Secret Wars.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,438 46
Sherman Oaks CA
Do you think Gwen and Anya will get there powers in the Spider-Island arc and do you think there powers will be permanent or do you think they will be cured by the end of it??

Just saw some leaked clips on youtube for Spider-Island arc Gwen gets her powers in part 1 and helps Spidey take down an evil spider she calls Stealth-Spider, She wears her costume with the hood but no mask in part 2 and her identity is known to the public as the Police who have Spider-Powers themselves call her Spider-Gwen, Hydra and Black Widow appear in the Spider-Island arc, Black Widow has acquired Spider-Powers due to the storyline and she also has a new look as she is not sporting long hair but has it cut short same voice actress from Avengers: Secret Wars.
I know Gwen pointed out that Spider-Man having a secret identity might not have been the right idea, but it still seems kind of dumb for her to be running around fighting crime in a costume but without a mask on o_O.

So she's actually called "Spider-Gwen?" I was expecting them to try and work in "Ghost Spider" :sweat:.

I'm guessing Widow's short hair is like her "Black Panther's Quest" design?

ChessKing

Jun 8, 2014
Ratings
United Kingdom
I know Gwen pointed out that Spider-Man having a secret identity might not have been the right idea, but it still seems kind of dumb for her to be running around fighting crime in a costume but without a mask on o_O.

So she's actually called "Spider-Gwen?" I was expecting them to try and work in "Ghost Spider" :sweat:.

I'm guessing Widow's short hair is like her "Black Panther's Quest" design?
12ef95aa019fbab4bb6ba6c77d727ebb.jpg
Black Widow's design in the Spider-Island arc is nothing like her Black Panther's Quest design, Her hair is a lot shorter then that, It reminds me of her hair style in the video game: Spider-Man: Web of Shadows

Aug 14, 2017
Ratings
So, I re watched several episodes recently, and, this may be fightin' words for some people, but I think I slightly prefer this series to the 90s show. They are really close in quality, but the action scenes and pacing are much better here. I'm pretty excited for the rest of Season 1.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,438 46
Sherman Oaks CA
So, I re watched several episodes recently, and, this may be fightin' words for some people, but I think I slightly prefer this series to the 90s show. They are really close in quality, but the action scenes and pacing are much better here. I'm pretty excited for the rest of Season 1.
I would say the action is probably an improvement because this show doesn't have the restrictions that the 90's show had that prevented Spidey from even throwing a punch at someone.

And while the animation on this show won't be winning any awards, it certainly doesn't re-use animation as much as the 90's show did.

Pacing-wise, I think the main difference is Spider-Man: The Animated Series had 13-14 episode arcs, while the current show has been one, semi-serialized, 26-episode story so far.

Aug 14, 2017
Ratings
To clarify the comment about pacing, I always feel like, whenever I watch an episode of the 90s show, they crammed at least 2-3 episodes worth of plot points into 20 minutes. It moves at a breakneck pace and that hurts the rewatchability of the series for me.

Roxas_Sora

Apr 5, 2007
Ratings
315 1
South of Europe
Black Widow's design in the Spider-Island arc is nothing like her Black Panther's Quest design, Her hair is a lot shorter then that, It reminds me of her hair style in the video game: Spider-Man: Web of Shadows
ChessKing, if you have managed to see the remaining episodes of Season 1, can you please send information about them? Personally, I want to know as much as possible, but I'm very interested in the Spider-Island's episodes. I have several big suspictions about the events for next seasons and I want to find any detail that could confirm it.

*Sorry for the Double Post*

I have my reasons to believe a few things about Season after reading the limited details I found about the next episodes. Check:

+ As always, like in all Spider-Man's series, Season 2 will introduce more classic enemies of Spider-Man. And very probably, they will be associated with Norman Osborn. We can get clues from previous series to guess which villainswill debut next: Electro (an easy choice), Beetle (possibly the Ultimate version, as a "Spider-Slayer"), Carnage (although it will need restrictions), Chameleon (good choice), Mysterio (good potential), the Tinkerer (because of the movie), Michael Morbius (very likely) and maybe Hydro-Man.

+ In Season 2, Norman Osborn will appear as the Green Goblin. In "HobGoblin - Part 2", Norman Osborn uses the HobGoblin's gear to try to kill Spider-Man; however, Harry finally discovers the truth of his father and turns against him. (Well, thank Godness). There's a explosion in a lab for the final battle and Norman disappears. (Don't bet of his demise). Right before the explosion, there's a mysterious and inflamable GREEN liquid on the floor. (I'm not sure, but I believe it's the serum that transformed Miles Warren into the Jackal).

+ It seems that everyone on New York was cured from the Spider-Virus (including Anya and Gwen); however, maybe the cure didn't work good for all the people in New York. Remember, in the comics, Anya Corazon was infected by the Spider-Virus; and although they injected her the cure, she kept her new Spider-Powers. If that the case, there's a high chance that the cure didn't remove the Spider-Powers of ALL New Yorkers, just kept them "dormant".

+ The candidates to keep the Spider-Powers are the ones we already guessed by promos. Gwen and Anya are the first ones. There's a high chance that Black Widow will keep them too. (She would really be the "Black Widow" if she keep the Spider-Powers). Flash Thompson is another huge candidate. Mary Jane Watson, although she still has to make her official debut, if they respect the story from the comics, she could keep stable powers too. (I want to see her as "Spinneret"). Cindy Moon is another candidate, but this one has doubts (Anya's costume in the promo art shares traces from her Spider-Girl's costume and Silk's third costume). I'm not very convinced but, how about Black Cat (Felicia Hardy)? I'm pretty sure it would be interesting. Liz Allan could return to her identity of Screwball, now with Spider-Powers. (In the comics, the real Screwball disguised herself as Spidey once). Finally, Randy Robertson, who also gained powers in the comics' Spider-Island, so maybe he can give us something interesting.

+ The Spider-Island could have another effects in some New Yorkers. I believe some Spider-Characters, less related with Peter Parker could also debut in the future of the serie. The first one would be Ezekiel Sims, who could act as an "Anti-Uncle Ben" for Peter. That would introduce the Spider Society and some of its history. The original Madame Web (Cassandra Web) could debut here, potentially as the wife of Ezekiel Sims. We could also see familiar names like Jessica Drew and Julia Carpenter.

+ If my theory of the Spider Society is right, then we could see and interesting twist of another famous character. I know in comics, Horizon was involved in time travel's experiments, one of them involved Spider-Man 2099. And we know Spider 2099 could have an importan role in the future. But, how about if, instead of that, this Spider 2099 is actually a combination between Miguel O'Hara (the Spider-Man 2099) and Miguel Legar (from the Spider Society). I think this could leave any plan for the Spider-Verse for Season 3.

+ The Slingers are other potential characters for Season 2, resulting from other New Yorkers who kept the Spider-Powers. They were originally alternative identities for Spidey while he tried to clean his name from a crime he didn't commit; so the fact of being used by individuals with Spider-Powers sounds fitting. They would be Hornet (Eddie McDonough), Ricochet (Johnny Gallo), Dusk (Cassie St Commons) and Prodigy (Richie Gilmore).

+ Flash Thompson is an interesting key for the future. I believe he could have gained and kept Spider-Powers during Spider-Island, but I believe something else could have happened to him. I like his Agent Venom's persona, but after recent events in the comics, I believe Flash could actually turn into Anti-Venom in the future. How? Well, considering any traces of the Venom's symbiote inside Flash, combined with the cure for Spider-Island, that could give us Anti-Venom. And he would look like Spider-Man in his Future Foundation's costume. (But I still like his Agent Venom's self, with Venom's black colour).

+ Of course, it's impossible that only good guys could keep powers from Spider-Island. So, I have in mind several bad guys who could debut in future seasons and keeping Spider-Island's powers. One of them is Black Tarantula, which would be very suitable. (But even being a villain, he has a code of honour that could make him have a "complicated" relationship with Spider-Man).

Well, what do you think? You wanna bet some of this will actually happen?

Last edited by a moderator:

ChessKing

Jun 8, 2014
Ratings
United Kingdom
That seems to be the way things worked out production-wise.

It makes sense since the Origin shorts started off with Peter in his traditional costume, which he only got in episode 2.
The third episode of the season are those six Origin shorts edited together as one episode as it will be airing in UK (Where I live) on 12th January 2018.

Capt.Traphouse

Sexiest Thing Since Sex
May 26, 2015
Ratings
846 2
NY
One thing I loved about the 90s show was the use of The Kingpin. He's so cool, favorite Spiderman villain with Norman Osborn and Black Cat. I don't know why Marvel doesn't want to touch him in any of the cartoons.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,438 46
Sherman Oaks CA
One thing I loved about the 90s show was the use of The Kingpin. I don't know why Marvel doesn't want to touch him in any of the cartoons.
Kingpin is too street-level for Avengers Assemble and outside Luke and Danny on USM there doesn't seem to be much of a push for the Netflix characters in the cartoons :ack:.

Roxas_Sora

Apr 5, 2007
Ratings
315 1
South of Europe
Kingpin is too street-level for Avengers Assemble and outside Luke and Danny on USM there doesn't seem to be much of a push for the Netflix characters in the cartoons :ack:.
True. Besides, after some years, I believe now Kingpin is more officially Daredevil's enemy (or nemesis) than Spider-Man's enemy. Kingpin mostly works for street-level's stuff, but Spidey's main thing uses to be "mad-scientist-mutation" stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.