"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Parker

From what I have heard, it's how KombatMaster described it, it's kind of like, Spectacular Spider-Man's feel but with Avengers EMH writing.

Frontier

Staff member
I don't know if we can really judge the writing quality yet when there's only been a brief snippet of the show released to con-goers.

Hoping the quality is on par with EMH or Spectacular seems like just wishful thinking. Wishful thinking I hope turns out to be true, but wishful thinking nonetheless :sweat:.

Checkerboard

THE HOME OF THE TOP TOON STARS
I feel like this show has the potential to be popular, last long and be smart... if done right. My main issue with Ultimate was the 4th wall and amount of characters, especially in later episodes, which was just off putting. It got annoying pretty fast and some jokes or puns came off as a bit lame. With these issues hopefully out of the way, despite not entirely liking the reset approach, I think we can look forward to a good show. The only problem I can think of right now is the show relying too much on the live film and the overall writing. I hope it won't be just a basic retelling of the same old and it will manage to surprise us with something original and new every now and then. And of course my secret wish is that Venom won't suck.

On a side note, you think we'll ever see again something as unique as Unlimited? Either in terms of visuals, I wouldn't mind a rough comic look, or a different story and setting?

Frontier

Staff member
5813578-5396771751-15404.jpg

I guess all of Wacker's Anya teasing is finally coming together...

And this is potentially showcasing the villains and their designs:

5813593-6718589659-15403.jpg

Greg91

Reporter
Interesting stuff. I thought Anya would appear here based on Wacker's Tumblr answers. I'm not sure how I feel about more Spider heroes in a 'back-to-basics' Spider-Man show. I guess it depends on how they're used and how frequent they appear. Are they main characters or just make guest appearances?

As for the villains, they definitely look like the classic counterparts (save for the movie looking Vulture). In fact, all of these villains have been used in the Spider-Man movies. Hopefully we see some fresh faces as well (i.e. villains who barely or didn't appear in USM like Chameleon and Mysterio, or villains who aren't as well-known like Crime Master and Overdrive).

It's nice to know the promotional art is by Patrick Brown. I haven't heard of him, but his work here looks very nice.

Dustellar

My only complaint about the villains, I would have preferred Sandman and Kraven over Venom and Green Goblin, in case they are The Sinister Six... and I hope Vulture isn't related to Stark :p

TheLemsterPju

As detailed in that ComicVine thread and a little bit here, I really really really wish people would stop holding Spectacular Spider-Man in such a high regard that it's at the expense of different interpretations. Yes, SSM was more accurate to the comics, but I don't expect or want future Spider-Man cartoons to imitate it.

I just want people to look back on this show and Ultimate with infinitely less "I miss Spectacular" bias in the future.

Frontier

Staff member
I'm starting to wonder if Marvel really understands what "back-to-basics" for Spider-Man actually means :sweat:.

I mean, it's cool to see Anya there, especially since Wacker has been teasing her for a while, and it means the genders will be balanced among the Spiders, but I can't help but think three other Spiders is pushing it in what's supposed to be a "year one" Peter Parker cartoon, particularly given the other Spiders are traditionally much younger then Peter is by the time they meet him o_O.

So I wonder how this is not another "team" show or Web Warriors. Are Miles, Gwen, and Anya not permanent sidekicks for Peter? Do they go off and do their own thing so Peter can be more of a solo hero? If there was only one or two other Spiders I could see that, but three :ack:?

It's also interesting that their take on Anya's Spider-Girl costume has Silk's color scheme. I wonder if she'll go by Spider-Girl or Arana in this :)?

And it's kind of weird that we have Gwen and Anya confirmed for this show but not MJ or any of Peter's other civilian supporting cast :sad:.

The villain art has all the "usual suspects" as far as Spidey Rogues go, though I'm surprised Shocker isn't in there, and I guess this confirms we'll be getting Goblin, Ock, and Venom (the holy trifecta of Spider-Man villains) all in the first season :evil:.

Ordinarily I would say that image of Spidey facing down all those villains is pretty epic..but then I realize he probably has a bunch of other Spiders right behind him, so it's a little less epic :p

Overall I like all the villain designs quite a bit. Very stylized, but still "classic" and with enough unique touches to help them standout ;).

Vulture's design is obviously very movie-inspired, though with the wings detached from the arms unlike the MCU suit and classic Vulture. He actually looks a lot like his upgraded design in season 4 of USM :cool:.

I like the art style and designs as depicted in this promo art, but I think we should expect by now that how things are depicted in the promo art is not necessarily an indicator of what the show will actually look like in animation :rolleyes2:...

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
As detailed in that ComicVine thread and a little bit here, I really really really wish people would stop holding Spectacular Spider-Man in such a high regard that it's at the expense of different interpretations. Yes, SSM was more accurate to the comics, but I don't expect or want future Spider-Man cartoons to imitate it.

I just want people to look back on this show and Ultimate with infinitely less "I miss Spectacular" bias in the future.
Honestly I didnt really care how accurate Spec spiderman was to the comic the reason why I hold it to such high regard because it had great writing and fantastic fight scenes

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
Honestly I didnt really care how accurate Spec spiderman was to the comic the reason why I hold it to such high regard because it had great writing and fantastic fight scenes

And showed you can have both while still being true to the comics ;).

Frontier

Staff member
To be fair they did took a fair liberties

True, but the vast majority of it was pretty much straight-out-of-the comics, and they did consolidate some concepts/characters together to make things feel more cohesive, which I think is fine :).

TheLemsterPju

"True to the comics" is a fairly subjective term when you take into account the many different interpretations there have been of Spider-Man through out the years, including within Earth-616. I know people love to throw the "4th Wall" thing Ultimate did as the "breaking point" for "accuracy", but then again, who cares? You can't hold that as an "objective" fault against the USM version of the character, especially when also comparing it to Spectacular's interpretation, without sounding biased. Spidey didn't have organic web-shooters until the Sam Raimi films, nor did he ever depend on Tony Stark making him a refined suit until the MCU version. The same way the Ninja Turtles have vastly different incarnations over time, the same can be said for Spider-Man.

Frontier

Staff member
"True to the comics" is a fairly subjective term when you take into account the many different interpretations there have been of Spider-Man through out the years, including within Earth-616. I know people love to throw the "4th Wall" thing Ultimate did as the "breaking point" for "accuracy", but then again, who cares? You can't hold that as an "objective" fault against the USM version of the character, especially when also comparing it to Spectacular's interpretation, without sounding biased. Spidey didn't have organic web-shooters until the Sam Raimi films, nor did he ever depend on Tony Stark making him a refined suit until the MCU version. The same way the Ninja Turtles have vastly different incarnations over time, the same can be said for Spider-Man.
I never complained about the 4th wall breaking because it wasn't "accurate" to the comics, I complained about it because it really didn't add much of value to the show and just didn't feel like Spider-Man.

Now, I admit when it comes to adaptions I tend to be a bit of a purist and want things to be as close to the source material as possible, but failing that I just hope that whatever changes or additions they make stay true to the character and work in a way that's still true to the comics more or less.

Stuff like the organic web-shooters and the Starksuit, for instance, while sensible for the universes they inhabit, also kind of devalue Peter since it takes away from his accomplishments (making his own web-shooters and being a self-sufficient Superhero). So those are changes I'm not crazy about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts