"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Welcome to the second installment of the Marvel's Spider-Man News and Discussion Thread, here on the Marvel Animation Forum! Keep up to date with any news about Marvel's newest animated series, and use this thread to discuss them in a civilized manner!

Yqj5AHH.jpg

Image Credit: Marvel
Marvel's Spider-Man
Coming to Disney XD in Summer 2017

Marvel's Spider-Man will premiere this summer on Disney XD, bringing fans back to his early days of being both a teenager and a superhero. The series promises a fresh take on a beloved classic that will engage both new and existing Spidey fans with its compelling drama, exciting action and the signature sense of comedy.

The new series will focus on Peter Parker learning how to come into his own superpowers while facing the pressures of being a normal teen. Headed up by Kevin Shinick and supervising director Philip Pignotti, Marvel's Spider-Man will have a back to basics approach.

- Currently known crew members:

Executive Producers:
Alan Fine (“Marvel’s The Avengers,” “Iron Man,” “Thor”)
Dan Buckley (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble,” “Marvel’s Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.”)
Joe Quesada (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble”)
Jeph Loeb (“Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.”)

Co-Executive Producers:
Stan Lee (“Spider-Man”)
Eric Radomski (“Spawn,” “Marvel’s Avengers Assemble”)
Cort Lane (“Marvel’s Ultimate Spider-Man”)
Stephen Wacker (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble”)

Supervising Producers:
Kevin Shinick (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble,” “Robot Chicken”)
Marsha Griffin (“Transformers Prime,” “The Life and Times of Juniper Lee”)

Consulting Producers:
Dan Slott (“Spider-Man: Big Time,” “The Superior Spider-Man”)
Kevin Burke and Chris “Doc” Wyatt (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble,” “Marvel’s Ultimate Spider-Man”)

Supervising Director
Philip Pignotti (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble,” “Marvel’s Ultimate Spider-Man”)

Stay tuned for further developments!
Comments?

Previous Discussion Thread:

"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Mod Note: Discussion continued from the previous thread.

- Description of the clip shown at Wonder Con, from Comic Book Revolution:
The panel then begins with a quick clip of the new Spider-Man cartoon. We see Peter in his hoodie makeshift Spider-Man costume seen briefly in Captain America: Civil War and in the Spider-Man: Homecoming trailer. The clip is quickly stopped by Stephen Wacker quickly cut the clip but they tease audience with possibly showing full clip later.
Clip continues with Spider-Man in his hoodie costume and having his moment ruined by a pigeon. He ends up falling and old lady yells at her for landing near his pigeon coop. His web shooters fail. Spider-Man sees a crime scene and flashes back to what Uncle Ben would tell him to do. Uncle Ben gives young Peter advice and Peter then helps Uncle Ben fix his cuckoo clock. Great Power comes great responsibility is spoken in the form of an “equation” by Uncle Ben.
Spider-Man fixes his web shooters and chases the car chase and his web shooters work but web breaks. He lands on the car and sees that the car will hit some people. Peter thinks quick and drives the van into a skate park where he catches it in time for people to catch it. Peter’s Spider-sense goes off. Vulture attacks him with a sonic scream to end the clip and panel.

- Impressions from those who saw the footage:
I've seen the clip, and the animation seems more fluid than the current shows. The art style kind of looks like Voltron: Legendary Defender without character shading; the characters have anime eyes, but the backgrounds have a bit more shading than I've seen in Guardians season 2.
As for the writing, it's actually good writing with legitimate emotion and characterization. Peter has a pep talk with Uncle Ben, and while I don't remember it completely it's something I could compare to Avengers: EMH in this regard.
Art is more stylized. If I were to describe designs they were somewhere inbetween the more blocky and weird shapes of Spectacular Spider-Man and Ultimate Spider-Man. Animation was decent.

- Unanswered questions asked in the last thread before it was locked:
I guess the only thing I'm curious about is who's voicing Peter.
Question those it look like a big budget?
Question for those in attendence. How does the vulture costume look? Is it similar to the movie or the comics? If it is the latter what version of the costume does he have?
Thanks

Peter Parker

This is a list of things said
Feel/Style/Stuff:
Great action
Compelling drama
Lots of heart
Spidey's signature sense of humor
Characterization
Emotional depth

Characters:
Peter Parker
Harry Osbourne
Vulture
Max Modell
Ben Parker
Gwen Stacey
Miles Morales
Venom

Characters That MAY Appear:
Doc Ock
Jackal
Liz Allen
J Jonah Jameson
Spider-Queen
MJ
Moon Girl

Locations:
NYC
Horizon High
Daily Bugle

Storylines:
Homecoming
Spider-Island
Superior Spider-Man
(insert Venom story title)

Considered Storylines:
Omega Effect

Side Notes:
Vulture is one of the first villains
The show will follow Spider-Man from the very beginning
The Symbiote will start with a minor role but with room, the role will grow
Friendship is a heavy focus especially with Peter and Harry
Most of the stories will be from Dan Slott's run
Peter willl go to Horizon High and will be mentored by Max Modell
The animation is very fluid
The art style is like a mix of Spectacular Spider-Man, Ultimate Spider-Man, Anime and Voltron-Legendary Defender, the characters are unshaded but the backgrounds are.
Spider-Man will start in a homemade suit
Characters, old and new will appear but some will have spins

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Yeah, I also brought up the possibility of this show and Big Hero 6 possibly crossing over at some point down the line. Something about the few character designs we have seen so far just makes it seem feasible. We'll see if it actually happens, but it's a pretty nice thought. But I won't be disappointed if it doesn't play out like this, either.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
It's nothing too important but here are a couple of new replies from Wacker's Tumblr:

Question
Question can you please tell us the colourist of the new Spider-Man show? Can you also tell me the writing staff involved?
Answer
Nope.
Question
Super Anon: I think the Spec Spider-Man is overrated (at least in the case that the hardcore SSM is making it that way indirectly or otherwise) and Ultimate Spider-Man wasn't really as terrible as certain Spider-Man fans made it out to be. And it's looks like, ONCE AGAIN, that Marvel's Spider-Man will receive some more un-reasonable, whiny critics than it already had.
Answer
We’re used to it.
Our plan is to keep our heads down and make the best show we can. It’s the only sure fire solution.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
They can start by giving Spiderman a break so they can stop reusing the same storylines over and over.

TheLemsterPju

Come to think of it, it would be kind of cool to have a second (or third if you count most of the 90s shows) animated universe. It's not like the current one has to go away or anything.

How cool would it be if the Avengers appeared or are referenced in the Big Hero 6 show? :)

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
They can start by giving Spiderman a break so they can stop reusing the same storylines over and over.

If you give Spider-Man a break, then he wouldn't be Spider-Man.

Frontier, the fan making that comment wasn't necessarily referring to you. Now some people may not remember what was happening five years ago, but bloggers were even reporting fake news about Ultimate Spider-Man and outright making up news about that show and Hulk and the Agents of SMASH and spreading misinformation.

Frontier

Staff member
I'm curious to see who they get to cast/voice direct for this series. Colette Sunderman handled USM and is the casting and voice director for Assemble, but they also have Lisa Schaffer for Guardians of the Galaxy :).

Both would be solid choices who've delivered some strong work and casting on multiple productions, but I hope whoever they pick brings their A-game as far as casting and voice direction for this cartoon, and gives us a memorable and iconic cast of characters and talent on par with The Spectacular Spider-Man :cool:.

ShockDingo

Freelance voice actor & fulltime symbiote geek.
I'm really eager to see the clip, but also would love to know the voice cast.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I wouldn't be surprised if Jaime Simone was the voice director for this series. He's to Marvel Animation like what Collette Sunderman and Andrea Romano are to Warner Brothers. Plus, he did voice direct Spider Man Unlimited in the late 1990s, and voice directed every Marvel animated movie.

Back to the topic at hand, given that Spidey shows usually cast someone in their 20s- early 30s to play him, I could see someone like Sean Marquette or Max Mittleman playing him. If not, then maybe someone like Eric Bauza or Yuri Lowenthal.

Frontier

Staff member
I wouldn't be surprised if Jaime Simone was the voice director for this series. He's to Marvel Animation like what Collette Sunderman and Andrea Romano are to Warner Brothers. Plus, he did voice direct Spider Man Unlimited in the late 1990s, and voice directed every Marvel animated movie.

Back to the topic at hand, given that Spidey shows usually cast someone in their 20s- early 30s to play him, I could see someone like Sean Marquette or Max Mittleman playing him. If not, then maybe someone like Eric Bauza or Yuri Lowenthal.
I'd love for Jaime Simone to be the voice director for this show! He's delivered some of the strongest casting in a Marvel cartoon :D.

Last edited:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Jaime Simone was pretty great. It was funny to me, back when I started paying attention to the names behind certain jobs, and I'd confuse Simone with Thomason, who was working on Spectacular Spider-Man. Didn't Jaime Simone work on the Marvel Anime series? I feel as though that was the last thing I remembered him working on, probably because Marvel started doing the stunt castings as well which sometimes took a little getting used to.

It looks as though he's still been in the mix. I see him credited for Frost Fight, Where Monsters Dwell, Lego Marvel, Avengers Confidential and Agents of SMASH, so he still does some good work for Marvel.

Sent from my AT7-B using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.
It seems evidently that, despite being completed, ''Walpurgisnacht Rising'' hasn't been released yet. What do you think?

Featured Posts