"Marvel's Spider-Man" (Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Announced today October 8th 2016, at the New York Comic Con.

Yqj5AHH.jpg

Image Credit: Marvel
Marvel's Spider-Man
Coming to Disney XD in 2017​

Marvel's Spider-Man will premiere next year on Disney XD, bringing fans back to his early days of being both a teenager and a superhero.

Marc Buhaj, senior vice president of programming and general manager for Disney XD announced today:

"Spider-Man is the biggest action hero in the world. He is an iconic character whose duality makes him both relatable and aspirational for the Disney XD audience. He promises "a fresh take on a beloved classic that will engage both new and existing Spidey fans with its compelling drama, exciting action and the signature sense of comedy."

The new series will focus on Peter Parker learning how to come into his own superpowers while facing the pressures of being a normal teen. Headed up by Kevin Shinick (Robot Chicken) and supervising director Philip Pignotti (Marvel's Avengers Assemble), Marvel's Spider-Man will have a back to basics approach.

Cort Lane, senior vice president of Marvel Animation and Family Entertainment added, "The simple title reflects a back-to-basics approach, it's just filled with heart and humor."

2017 is going to be a big year for the young Peter Parker with the upcoming movie Spider-Man: Homecoming starring Tom Holland and now the new animated series Marvel's Spider-Man.
Source: ComicBook.com article.

Other news from the NYCC Panel
- Dan Slott will be working on the new Spider-Man show as well, he'll be a consultant for the show because it will be pulling from Dan Slott's stories.
- Spider-Man is in the absolute earliest version of his costume including web shooters that are not working quite right.
- The Vulture will appear in the new cartoon. As well as Max Modell.

- Kevin Burke and Chris "Doc" Wyatt will also work as Consulting Producers/Writers.
Source: Kevin Burke Tweet.

- More crew news. Source: SpoilerTV.com article

Executive Producers:
Alan Fine (“Marvel’s The Avengers,” “Iron Man,” “Thor”)
Dan Buckley (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble,” “Marvel’s Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.”)
Joe Quesada (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble”)
Jeph Loeb (“Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.”)

Co-Executive Producers:
Stan Lee (“Spider-Man”)
Eric Radomski (“Spawn,” “Marvel’s Avengers Assemble”)
Cort Lane (“Marvel’s Ultimate Spider-Man”)
Stephen Wacker (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble”)

Supervising Producers:
Kevin Shinick (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble,” “Robot Chicken”)
Marsha Griffin (“Transformers Prime,” “The Life and Times of Juniper Lee”)

Consulting Producers:
Dan Slott (“Spider-Man: Big Time,” “The Superior Spider-Man”)
Kevin Burke and Chris “Doc” Wyatt (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble,” “Marvel’s Ultimate Spider-Man”)

Supervising Director
Philip Pignotti (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble,” “Marvel’s Ultimate Spider-Man”)

Stay tuned for further developments!
Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Greg91

Reporter
Wow! So the new show Marvel Animation was working on is indeed Spider-Man! Like most people have guessed, it is similar to Spider-Man Homecoming with a younger Peter Parker starting out as Spider-Man. The movie is even mentioned with the reveal information and Vulture is confirmed to appear. I'm excited to see a fresh take on the character. Ultimate Spider-Man had a great run with over 100 episodes, a milestone for a Marvel animated show. I really liked USM and I will miss it but I'm ready for something new. Hopefully people who didn't like USM will like this show.

I wonder if we'll get more of a focus on Peter's life and his supporting cast like MJ, Harry, and Aunt May. A show focused on Peter's life as well as his heroics is something I've been waiting for. I hope we see some lesser known and popular Spider-Man characters/villains and strong storylines.

I have to admit, I'm not sure about the show's continuity. Is it set before Ultimate Spider-Man or does it take place in a new universe? Either way, I'm excited for the ninth Spider-Man animated series! This could really be a fun new series either way from what the logo shows and the crew behind the series.

spidey2.jpg

ToonJay723

Staff member
I haven't seen anything beyond season 1 of Ultimate Spider-Man, but I've heard it gotten better later on, so I'm hoping that continues on with this show.

Frontier

Staff member
On the one hand, I'd been expecting a relaunched Spider-Man cartoon around the time of Homecoming for a while now, so I'm certainly not shocked to see it announced. And that it's going to be a back-to-basics approach to the character that seems to be going back to a more classic feel and take on Spider-Man makes me really happy :D.

I mean, after USM, it would be nice to have a Spider-Man cartoon that feels like a real Spider-Man cartoon, with focus on Peter's dual-identity, dealing with normal problems alongside his Superhero responsibilities, teen drama, and Spidey's traditional supporting cast :).

But...having Dan Slott as a consultant, and getting him back together with Steve Wacker, makes me really uneasy about this show. It almost feels counterproductive to trying to do a more classic, back-to-basics, Spider-Man cartoon given what they've done with the character in the comics.It's not something I really want to see reflected in a Spider-Man cartoon, particularly after USM :eek:.

That they have Peter attending a "Horizon High School" run by Max Modell makes me worried we won't see the classic supporting cast in favor of just all the character Dan Slott and Wacker created during their tenure on Spider-Man. And even if the classic supporting cast is in there, they may not be portrayed or used very well :ack:.

I'm also really going to be anxious about how they characterize Peter in this cartoon, and how much of a role The Avengers will play in the show :eek:.

No surprise that Vulture will be playing an immediate role, though it's interesting that he apparently has a sonic attack like USM Vulture o_O.

All in all, I hope Dan Slott's consultant role and the influences taken from his stories are minimal, and that the writing and animation for the show end up being the top-notch quality that Spidey deserves ;).
I'd like if they did something with Silk. I was surprised they never got to her in USM.
And there were also apparently plans for Anya Corazon as well, so I guess they probably pertain to this show rather then USM....

Given we've got Dan Slott and Steve Wacker together for this, we should probably expect spinoff characters aplenty even if they make less sense in a year one Spider-Man cartoon compared to the Team Spider-Man show that was USM :sweat:.

brodie999

On the one hand, I'd been expecting a relaunched Spider-Man cartoon around the time of Homecoming for a while now, so I'm certainly not shocked to see it announced. And that it's going to be a back-to-basics approach to the character that seems to be going back to a more classic feel and take on Spider-Man makes me really happy :D.

I mean, after USM, it would be nice to have a Spider-Man cartoon that feels like a real Spider-Man cartoon, with focus on Peter's dual-identity, dealing with normal problems alongside his Superhero responsibilities, teen drama, and Spidey's traditional supporting cast :).

But...having Dan Slott as a consultant, and getting him back together with Steve Wacker, makes me really uneasy about this show. It almost feels counterproductive to trying to do a more classic, back-to-basics, Spider-Man cartoon given what they've done with the character in the comics.It's not something I really want to see reflected in a Spider-Man cartoon, particularly after USM :eek:.

That they have Peter attending a "Horizon High School" run by Max Modell makes me worried we won't see the classic supporting cast in favor of just all the character Dan Slott and Wacker created during their tenure on Spider-Man. And even if the classic supporting cast is in there, they may not be portrayed or used very well :ack:.

I'm also really going to be anxious about how they characterize Peter in this cartoon, and how much of a role The Avengers will play in the show :eek:.

No surprise that Vulture will be playing an immediate role, though it's interesting that he apparently has a sonic attack like USM Vulture o_O.

All in all, I hope Dan Slott's consultant role and the influences taken from his stories are minimal, and that the writing and animation for the show end up being the top-notch quality that Spidey deserves ;).

And there were also apparently plans for Anya Corazon as well, so I guess they probably pertain to this show rather then USM....

Given we've got Dan Slott and Steve Wacker together for this, we should probably expect spinoff characters aplenty even if they make less sense in a year one Spider-Man cartoon compared to the Team Spider-Man show that was USM :sweat:.
Wow.... I wonder if they're planning to soft reboot him to match his MCU's counterpart's costume, Personality and history.

Greg91

Reporter

Aww... I'm sad that you're so worried about this show because of Dan Slott. I'm sure it will be fine. I'm excited to see Horizon Labs in the series, even if it's a high school.

I do have to admit, I'm not really interested in seeing someone like Carlie Cooper unless she's just a side character. I'd prefer to see the classic characters. For example, I want to see the Daily Bugle again with Jameson, Betty and Robbie. But a few new comic elements might not be so bad. Mary Jane Watson here, Max Modell there; just a nice mix of classic and modern. If we could get the Big Time suit in this show like the Iron Spider suit appeared in Ultimate Spider-Man, I'd be very happy. It glows in the dark and can turn invisible!

Plus like you said, a focus on Peter's normal problems, romance & drama, and the trials of being a hero. Something like the current Spidey comic series would be ideal honestly.

Last edited:

WebMasterSage

Obey the Pecking Order.
Wow.... I wonder if they're planning to soft reboot him to match his MCU's counterpart's costume, Personality and history.
Nope. It's gonna stick to the Comics. That Being Said.

All the Slammin Shorties in the House says Yes.

Frontier

Staff member
Aww... I'm sad that you're so worried about this show because of Dan Slott. I'm sure it will be fine. I'm excited to see Horizon Labs in the series, even if it's a high school.

I do have to admit, I'm not really interested in seeing someone like Carlie Cooper unless she's just a side character. I'd prefer to see the classic characters. For example, I want to see the Daily Bugle again with Jameson, Betty and Robbie. But a few new comic elements might not be so bad. Mary Jane Watson here, Max Modell there; just a nice mix of classic and modern.

Plus like you said, a focus on Peter's normal problems, romance & drama, and the trials of being a hero. Something like the current Spidey comic series would be ideal honestly.
I know, I know...I want to be optimistic about this show, but having Dan Slott attached to it just makes me very nervous :ack:.

I'd be down for a mix of classic and modern in terms of the supporting cast, while leaning a little more classic, though I am worried that they might emphasize more the characters Slott and Wacker created over the classic Spidey cast. I'm also worried about how they might use MJ :(.

I know a lot of this is unfounded fears when we haven't seen or learned that much concrete in regards to the show, but I'm just so excited for a new Spider-Man cartoon that's apparently going back to the stuff that makes Spidey great that I want it to be the best it can be :).

I think Spidey is kind of the right template, just with maybe a little more in the way of an actual supporting cast and serialized storytelling, and not as many team-ups :p.

Dustellar

I hope the synergy didn't damages the show... you know, with a character appearing with certain design and personality but that is changed when he/she appears in a movie, I don't want inconsistencies for now :p

Frontier

Staff member
I hope the synergy didn't damages the show... you know, with a character appearing with certain design and personality but that is changed when he/she appears in a movie, I don't want inconsistencies for now :p
Well, there's probably already going to be inconsistencies now that they're starting him from square one again :sweat:.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
It's interesting, though not very surprising they're going back to Spidey's early days of crime-fighting for this new show. I am looking forward to it - hopefully we'll see more of the Spidey/Peter dynamic that was missing from the majority of USM episodes, and some of his supporting cast members (the ones without super-powers) getting some decent portrayals. The same goes for some of his classic rogues.

I'm guessing this will be pretty much separate from the other Marvel animated shows airing, in terms of a shared universe. It would be cool if some of the elements that came out of USM would find their way into the show but it looks kind of unlikely if this is supposed to focus more on Spidey's beginnings.

The title is as simple as possible but I kind of like it. There weren't really that many other titles available, though I always liked the sound of "Web of Spider-Man" (actually I think I liked the title more than the actual comic series). Then they could have went with "The Spider-Man", which would have been kind of funny. But simply "Spider-Man" is fine with me (not that it matters that much)

I don't really have an opinion on the crew announced to work on the show so far. I admit Dan Slott wouldn't be the first person I'd like to see as a story consultant but to be fair I have enjoyed some of his work. We'll see how it all plays out - I'm sure plenty more details will be revealed in due time. I can't think of much to say at the moment but I'm sure I will as more news come out and I actually get to see some footage.

All in all, I'm looking forward to this. I liked some of the stuff USM came up with throughout its run (the longest run for a Marvel cartoon, I might add), but as a whole there were only a few episodes I really enjoyed - at least from the ones that have aired so far. Here's hoping Spider-Man will be a good, fun adventure show keeping true to Spidey's comic book self. One thing's for sure: unless something awful happens, I will watch it. :)

Troy Troodon

I'm a tad worried this show might actually be worse than USM, but if it's closer to the comics and not just jumping on the MCU band wagon I'd be okay with. Plus they seem to be harkening back to a more simplistic, Spectacular Spider-Man looking design, which could mean a better and more fluent animation quality.

Will it be good?! Only time will tell.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
SpoilerTV.com has more crew details:

Produced by Marvel Animation, the series’ award-winning creative team includes executive producers Alan Fine (“Marvel’s The Avengers,” “Iron Man,” “Thor”), Dan Buckley (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble,” “Marvel’s Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H.”), Joe Quesada (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble”) and Jeph Loeb (“Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.”); co-executive producers Stan Lee (“Spider-Man”), Eric Radomski (“Spawn,” “Marvel’s Avengers Assemble”), Cort Lane (“Marvel’s Ultimate Spider-Man”) and Stephen Wacker (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble”); supervising producers Kevin Shinick (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble,” “Robot Chicken”) and Marsha Griffin (“Transformers Prime,” “The Life and Times of Juniper Lee”); consulting producers Dan Slott (“Spider-Man: Big Time,” “The Superior Spider-Man”), Kevin Burke and Chris “Doc” Wyatt (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble,” “Marvel’s Ultimate Spider-Man”); and supervising director Philip Pignotti (“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble,” “Marvel’s Ultimate Spider-Man”).

Frontier

Staff member
I'm a tad worried this show might actually be worse than USM, but if it's closer to the comics and not just jumping on the MCU band wagon I'd be okay with. Plus they seem to be harkening back to a more simplistic, Spectacular Spider-Man looking design, which could mean a better and more fluent animation quality.

Will it be good?! Only time will tell.
It will be interesting to see how the animation for this show looks compared to USM and the other cartoons, particularly with Film Roman gone and that they're apparently going with a more cartoony and stylized design compared to the other Marvel cartoons :).
I guess it's nice to have some overlap in staff, even if this show won't have much in common with USM :sweat:.

Personally I would've loved to see the crew of Guardians on this show since I still think Guardians had some of the strongest and most consistent writing quality among all the Marvel cartoons, and they did a good job with taking some influences from the movies without being beholden to them while also telling a fairly strong, serialized, story. Would be cool to see them bring that to Spidey :cool:.
Neat! Outside Shnick, Griffin, and Slott, I don't see that much of a change in crew, from USM.

I see they're not advertising Slott's third and fourth ASM volumes :p.

Frontier

Staff member
I'm kind of curious to see how much of Iron Man we might get in this series, given the setup in the MCU between Peter and Tony.

The robbers in the footage shown at the panel were also supposedly stealing Vibranium, so it seems like right from the beginning they're going to be to some degree emphasizing the wider Marvel Universe in relation to Spider-Man for this cartoon.

Spideyzilla

Staff member
I just realized that we've never really had a Spider-Man show start at square one, meaning the spider bite comes in the first episode and we go from there. The others start with an established Spidey and tell his origin in flashback. That could be interesting if they're doing that, and the character growth that would ensure could be cool. Though since they're going for a back to basics high school approach, the diehard TSSM fan in me is a bit bitter, though that ship has sailed. I'm curious about this, no doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts