Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy "Knowhere to Run" Series Premiere Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this Guardians of the Galaxy episode!

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Check out the second part of the premiere episode of Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy tonight at 10:00PM (ET) on Disney XD!

talkback.jpg

Guardians of the Galaxy "Knowhere to Run"
Episode Debut - September 26th, 2015
Story by: Henry Gilroy & Marty Isenberg
Directed by: Leo Riley
Written by: Marty Isenberg

The Guardians struggle to subdue the suddenly-sprung-to-life Celestial head that is the Knowhere space colony, as well as storm Korath's ship to rescue Quill, Gamora, and the mysterious CryptoCube that holds the Cosmic Seed.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Last edited:

StorytellerMJ5

It was solid. It kind of lost me a little in the middle, but I liked the ending. Drax may get on my nerves very quickly. I'm already tired of him shouting about revenge. I'm hoping things get interesting and there are some good character episodes with nice quiet moments. I don't want this show to be all action all the time.

I really, really want to love this show.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
The backgrounds look great(sort of reminds me of Motorcity) and the chemistry between the group is pretty good. All in all this does have potential.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Good episode. The story played out pretty well, even if there were some pacing issues. There was plenty of action, just like in the previous part, but I didn't think they dedicated enough time to explain some of the stuff going on. Still, this was entertaining enough for me. The action scenes were for the most part impressive, and some of the character interactions worked great. I even liked some of the humor, which is something I haven't really praised in the most recent Marvel cartoons. Peter's lack of guilt, Drax's desire to meet a kangaroo, and to a lesser extent Cosmo's retriever gag were pretty great moments.

Thanos was a pretty decent villain. We haven't really seen enough of him for me to really form an opinion, but I'm hoping he'll be even more impressive as the show progresses. Since he's supposed to be the main bad-guy here there should be plenty of opportunities to develop him some more. Korath was good, I liked his interrogation scene and his brief fight with Gamora. As a side note, that cerebral parasite reminded me of Starro the Conqueror, from DC Comics.

The story is pretty interesting and I appreciate that it seems to be a little more serialized than in the other current shows. The quest for the Cosmic Seed should be fun. I'm looking forward to the next episodes which will hopefully continue to improve and live up to its full potential.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
*I saw both parts today, so I'll review part one here too.

Anyway, I can say I enjoyed this show's opening two-parter more than Assemble's or Agents of SMASH, but some factors keep it from being great in my eyes.

Pros:

Star-Lord is still really fun and likable, and Friedle makes so many of his lines chuckle-worthy. Gamora and Rocket are also likable, and Groot is just as adorable as ever. Cosmo was an interesting guest star.

The animation (so far) seems a step above Assemble and SMASH, but not quite as good as Ultimate Spider-Man at its best. The space setting makes for unique backdrops and aliens, though.

The music is always a nice touch.

Cons:

The humor is already hit or mis. Literally the first joke is an odor joke, of course, and the fart joke was also very unnecesary.

Drax is already getting on my nerves with his talk of killing Thanos (but it did lead to a nice moment of everyone giving him a "dude, really?" look).

This continues to prove that no one can write Thanos well except Jim Starlin (and maybe Hickman). He comes across really generic here, and not very threatening. I also wish he had defeated Drax in a fist fight, but ah well.

And while the episode was very exciting and fast-paced, I forgot the underlying reason it was all happening more than once. The seed plot just isn't very interesting yet.

But overall, a very solid episode that could easily lead to better things as long as the writers don't fall prey to past mistakes.

JoeMabbon

Dreadful Child
The humor here is much better than the other Marvel shows. Most of the jokes actually land.

I hope we lay off Thanos a bit. I think he's already being overused in Avengers Assemble and there's not much to recommend here either.

I liked Cosmo, he'd be great as a recurring guest.

Dsneybuf

I don't have anything seriously bad to say about part two, so I'll say that the pilot as a whole proved pretty promising.

Frontier

Staff member
Taking the entire two-part premier into account, I have to say this is a good and solid start for the Guardians of the Galaxy cartoon and one of the best premiers to come out of the MAU (which isn't that hard all things considered, but still). And considering all the expectations attached to it, I think it did admirably and got me excited for the future of the show, even if it wasn't perfect ;).

The Continuum Cortex! That was an awesome surprise. Honestly, I think the part about the two-parter I liked the most was that it actually lifted more elements from the DnA Guardians run then the movie did. It made the show feel more like a proper blending of the comic and the movie so that it's not just solely based around what was in the movie. It made me feel disappointed to see the Guardians leaving Knowhere to go on their quest for the Cosmic Seed, because I was hoping they'd stay around and use it as a home base. But at least they're always welcome to come back, per Cosmo, and I can't wait until they do :D.

Mega-evolved Groot was cool for the minute of screentime he held :cool:.

Wonder how long until Yondu comes back into the fray after Korath knocked him out and he was denied his money o_O?

Drax definitely runs the risk of being annoyingly one-note, especially when pretty much the entirety of his dialogue consists of him either swearing vengeance or talking about exacting vengeance on Thanos or mentioning his family. Not that I don't get why that's important to him, and his hatred for Thanos and the importance of his family has always been big elements of Drax's character, but I think it hurts his character to not have it be balanced out with other traits. Particularly when it results in him putting his allies at risk. I can't believe I'm saying this, but maybe they should play up his inability to understand metaphors :p?

Figures that Peter wouldn't have any genuine regrets (aside from maybe his mom), in contrast to Gamora or Korath. Though you have to hand it to him that, when the chips were down, he came through as a hero. Sure his team doesn't seem to give him a lot of respect as a leader, though his attitude and "leadership style" certainly doesn't help in that regard, though that's part for the course for team leaders in the MAU. At least Gamora cares enough about him to want to save him :).

Speaking of Gamora, I was kind of taken aback by the flashback of her apparently leading a slaughter of a village (with women and children!) She definitely has a lot to regret :eek:.

I have to give Thanos credit here, actually. When his lackey's fail and he's challenged to come out of hiding, he actually comes out and gets down to business fairly successfully. It's especially surprising since I expected Thanos to be very hands-off in this cartoon (and like in the movies) :cool:.

And then he, unsurprisingly, puts Drax in his place and almost destroyed Knowhere if not for some quick thinking on the Guardians' part. Definitely not someone you want to mess with, and now it seems he's building up a grudge against both Peter and Drax. The rod weapon was an interesting addition, if odd considering Thanos tends to not use weaponry that much, and I almost thought it was the Cosmic Control Rod for a second. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if the latter is off-limits because of its ties to the FF :rolleyes:.

Always loved "Drift Away" as a song :D.

FTPC

I like Star lord's taste in music
and I like Groot says I am Groot , To Rocket
Rocket says " What do you mean, you don't trust him, what did a dog ever do to a tree
I was laughing as well

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts