"Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (Animated)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 3 (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Does anyone know what the last episode is?
The last episode - both in terms of story-line and production order - was "Behind Gold Eyes".

It looks like those 5 digital shorts released before the season premiered were the 3rd episode split into 5 separate mini-episodes. I kind of doubt at this point there's one more episode left they're withholding.

TheLemsterPju

I guess they were toying around with a red color scheme :cool:.

Y'know, I actually kind of miss Ronan...

I think he gave up and rejoined the Kree. He still needs to torment the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. at some point after these events.

Frontier

Staff member
I'd have been interested if it had actual production notes or creator insight in there, although I imagine for the most part it would've just been traditional character bios or episode summaries summing up storylines from the shows and trying to make it feel like they're all in one cohesive continuity.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Cort Lane talked about the next season in this interview on Marvel.com
https://news.marvel.com/tv/83354/ma...marvel-rising-and-guardians-mission-breakout/
Marvel.com: Then there’s the third season of “Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy,” which is called “Mission: Breakout.” I am a huge Disney Parks fan, so I’m very excited about that. Was it cool to get to include that influence here?
Cort Lane: Yes. First of all, I’m a Disney Parks fan too. And I got to work on the ride, just as a creative consultant, but I actually helped name it as well, and was involved in the development of the story, as was Joe Quesada and so many other people on the Imagineering side. It was really exciting. In fact, I got to go on the ride when it was first ready and go on all six versions, right after the other. And about version five, I got pretty sick. But me and one other Marvel representative made it all the way to the sixth one. Everyone else scattered by three or four.
Marvel.com: [Laughs] At the press event when it opened, I was one of a small group of people that made it through the four versions they let us ride.
Cort Lane: Oh, wow! I love the ride, love the story of the ride, and since we knew and were involved in the development to some extent, we could incorporate Tivan’s collection and the Guardians’ escape. But the Collector wants revenge and they pay a price, and particularly mid-season, they’re up against the wall. But before that happens, a lot of fun and interesting things occur for the Guardians. They get rich and famous and how they individually deal with that reveals a lot about each character and is pretty funny in some cases. But the team needs to come back together midseason, with the Collector after them. That brings us into a storyline that we’ve talked about at cons, called “Black Vortex,” where the Guardians go into different dimensions, which are animated in different styles. I can’t talk about those individual stories, but there’s a story for each of the Guardians and that’s a really exciting creative leap for us and that leads us through the second part of the season.
Marvel.com: Anything you can say about guest stars here?
Cort Lane: There are a lot of big guest stars in the season and there are some huge Marvel characters, including probably the most exciting character to have team up with the Guardians, who appears in episode one.
Marvel.com: I am both intrigued and frightened by the idea of Rocket getting rich and famous – and curious about all the characters making that transition.
Cort Lane: Well, being together as a team and as a family, brings out the best versions of themselves. Separately, not so much… Which is why they were outlaws before. I will say that Gamora uses her money wisely, to redeem herself. The others, a little less wisely.

Frontier

Staff member
Cort Lane talked about the next season in this interview on Marvel.com
https://news.marvel.com/tv/83354/ma...marvel-rising-and-guardians-mission-breakout/
I still find it strange to base a season around a theme park ride, but I guess it's nice to know Lane had some personal investment in it :sweat:.

"There are a lot of big guest stars in the season and there are some huge Marvel characters, including probably the most exciting character to have team up with the Guardians, who appears in episode one." I'm guessing that's Spider-Man ;)?

I can pretty much figure out how Peter and Rocket will spend their money, but I am curious to see what Gamora, Drax, and Groot use theirs for :).

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
I love the Mission Breakout ride, but it seems like the actual breakout won't be more than a couple episodes. It seems more like the season will be built around the Guardians as fugitives and being framed for a crime they didn't commit. I think that works for the Guardians, but will see how much steam they can actually get out of that premise for an entire season of animation.

Frontier

Staff member
I love the Mission Breakout ride, but it seems like the actual breakout won't be more than a couple episodes. It seems more like the season will be built around the Guardians as fugitives and being framed for a crime they didn't commit. I think that works for the Guardians, but will see how much steam they can actually get out of that premise for an entire season of animation.
That sounds about right for a sub-title in a Marvel cartoon :p.

Well, they've got Black Vortex and a variant on Secret Invasion coming up, so that'll probably keep things dynamic ;).

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
There will probably be three big arcs next season, each one running for about 8 episodes, but there might be some filler in there, plus an episode they'll split into shorts.

The Guardians being framed and becoming fugitives kind of reminds be of Hulk & the Agents of SMASH, though I think it should work better here.

Toons Fan

The Disney XD press calendar shows that the season 3 premiere of Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Break Out premieres on Sunday, March 18th at 8:00 and 8:30AM:

b54e0952cc3a69e81941a01979310d38.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
The Disney XD press calendar shows that the season 3 premiere of Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Break Out premieres on Sunday, March 18th at 8:00 and 8:30AM:

b54e0952cc3a69e81941a01979310d38.jpg

Looks like the plan is to finish Avengers: Secret Wars in March and then premiere Guardians season 3 afterwards.

I'm guessing "Back in the New York Groove" is the Spider-Man episode.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
The new Season is premiering sooner than I expected, but come to think of it it is similar to when Season 2 premiered last year (March 11th, but then it was a longer break since Avengers ended it's Season in January).

We should also get another batch of animated shorts before the show comes back (even if they're probably an episode split into smaller segments again).

Toons Fan

New Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Break Out episode titled "Drive My Carnage" airing on Sunday, March 25th at 8:00AM.

bef9350d66d1057d83e0acf0ba80da4b.jpg

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I find it weird all these episodes are added to the Calendar, yet the show wasn't mentioned at all in the March Highlights press release.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts