"Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy (Animated)" News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyke

Personally I think Guardians is a pretty well-written show. And while there is some synergy with the live-action movie, the show has touched on some stuff that hasn't happened in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (and in some cases, might never happen). We had J'Son back in the 1st Season in what was probably the show's best arc, we had Thor as a guest-star alongside Angela, and now we're getting Mantis as a villainess and Adam Warlock.

I think that's doing the show a disservice.

I mean, obviously the show has taken a lot of visual and characterization cues from the movies, but I think to it's credit it's also brought in plenty from the comics that were not in the movies and been able to establish itself as it's own entity separate from the films. We're certainly not going to get something like the Adam Warlock scene in today's episode in the movies anytime soon.

Yes, they've taken a number of things from the comics. However, the things that they've taken from the comics have been changed and altered to fit into the GOTG MCU continuity (like the High Evolutionary being an alien). A lot of the stories are written with future movies in mind (like Mantis being a bad guy). That to me, hampers the creativity of the show. And we all know that they will either ignore or change the shows past continuity and stories in order to make the show more similar to the movie continuity. Heck, I'm calling it right now, either this season or the 3rd season (if this show is lucky enough to get a 3rd season) they will do a story where it is revealed that J'son Quill is actually the humanoid construct form of Ego the Living Planet. This type of restricted synergy is one of the reasons why the current Marvel shows are so creatively bankrupt and lackluster in regards to the writing (with the exception of several episodes). The writers of these shows have their hands tied by synergy.

Greg91

Reporter
Yes, they've taken a number of things from the comics. However, the things that they've taken from the comics have been changed and altered to fit into the GOTG MCU continuity (like the High Evolutionary being an alien). A lot of the stories are written with future movies in mind (like Mantis being a bad guy). That to me, hampers the creativity of the show. And we all know that they will either ignore or change the shows past continuity and stories in order to make the show more similar to the movie continuity. Heck, I'm calling it right now, either this season or the 3rd season (if this show is lucky enough to get a 3rd season) they will do a story where it is revealed that J'son Quill is actually the humanoid construct form of Ego the Living Planet. This type of restricted synergy is one of the reasons why the current Marvel shows are so creatively bankrupt and lackluster in regards to the writing (with the exception of several episodes). The writers of these shows have their hands tied by synergy.
At the end of the day, it's your choice whether you watch it or not if you have so many problems with it. I understand you want Marvel's animated shows to improve and we have Marvel's Spider-Man to watch and see if any changes, small or big, have been made. On top of that, we even have Big Hero 6: The Series coming up, which is based on a Marvel comic series, even if it's created by Disney Animation instead of Marvel Animation.

It's easy to find the faults in something. Recognizing the good in a flawed product is a much more appealing character trait in my eyes.

Marvel/DCfan

Since we saw a glimpse of Magus I hope we get a Magus saga this season. Being that Magus is tougher than Thanos, The guardians will definitely need help from Nova, Quasar, The Asgardians and hopefully The Avengers return since Captain Marvel is also a cosmic character.

Last edited:

spyke

It's easy to find the faults in something. Recognizing the good in a flawed product is a much more appealing character trait in my eyes.

I have acknowledged the good stuff in GOTG and all of the other recent Marvel animated series. Unfortunately the bad stuff outweighs the good stuff.

Frontier

Staff member
Since we saw a glimpse of Magus I hope we get a Magus saga this season. If so The guardians will definitely need help from Nova, Quasar, The Asgardians and hopefully The Avengers return since Captain Marvel is also a cosmic character.
I imagine, with Adam and the Universal Believers (representing the Church of Universal Truth) being major parts of this season, we're definitely going to get the Magus Saga adapted in some form ;).

Frontier

Staff member
Eric Bauza spoke about a certain character from "Rock Your Baby" on Twitter (no spoilers from those who haven't seen it) and how he had a personal relation to it.
Firstly, congratulations to Mr. Bauza and his wife :anime:!

Second, that's a cool group shot of the entire voice cast. I remember when we had one with the cast of Assemble for the season 2 finale, which was also cool :cool:.

Thirdly, I had no idea he was the voice of Woodie the Woodpecker now :sweat:.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Since we saw a glimpse of Magus I hope we get a Magus saga this season. Being that Magus is tougher than Thanos, The guardians will definitely need help from Nova, Quasar, The Asgardians and hopefully The Avengers return since Captain Marvel is also a cosmic character.

I would love it if we saw Quasar. But aren't the Quantum Bands destroyed?

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Log-lines for the "Symbiote War" arc, from Zap2It. All 3 parts will premiere on May 6th, starting at 11:00AM ET.

S02, E11
Symbiote War Part One - Wild World
Symbiotes overrun Groot's homeworld, Planet X, in an attempt to get Groot's restarted World Pod for themselves and conquer the galaxy.

S02, E12
Symbiote War Part Two - I Will Survive
As a comet covered in Symbiotes hurls toward Spartax, the Guardians must team up with Quill's sister to save the planet.

S02, E13
Symbiote War Part Three - Thunder Road
When the Symbiotes escape to Asgard and venomize Thor, Odin and the other Asgardians, it is up to the Guardians to save them, the World Tree and all of existence.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Log-lines for the "Symbiote War" arc, from Zap2It. All 3 parts will premiere on May 6th, starting at 11:00AM ET.

S02, E11

S02, E12

S02, E13
So we're going from the Guardians vs. Symbiotes for the fate of Groot's homeworld, the Guardians teaming-up with Victoria to protect Spartax from the Symbiotes, and the Guardians having to contend with Symbiote-infected Asgardians :eek:.

Sounds like a very eventful three-parter :D.

It'll be nice to see Victoria and Thor again, and now we'll get to see Odin in action here which should be cool. Hoping they can get Frank Welker back as the All-Father :cool:.

spyke

S02, E11

S02, E12

S02, E13

Rinse, repeat, it's the Loeb/Quesada/Wacker run Marvel Animation way of coming up with stories. It's official, Marvel Animation is the modern day Filmation, except minus the charm and cool theme songs and musical scores.

Capt.Traphouse

Sexiest Thing Since Sex
Rinse, repeat, it's the Loeb/Quesada/Wacker run Marvel Animation way of coming up with stories. It's official, Marvel Animation is the modern day Filmation, except minus the charm and cool theme songs and musical scores.
I wouldn't go that far. Marvel Animation doesn't have everyone who ever worked there saying that it was a fate worse than death like Filmation lol.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
What exactly is this rinse and repeating? The Symbiote Saga from USM? While on a surface-level I can see similarities, I expect it's going to be completely different in handling (and obviously in the characters focused on) o_O.

Heck, probably one of the bigger differences is we're likely not going to see any named Symbiotes turn up in this :sweat:.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I honestly don't think this will turn out too much like USM's Symbiote saga. And I don't mean to start an argument but I don't think one can fairly judge these episodes for having a rehashed plot before even seeing them. But to each their own.

spyke

What exactly is this rinse and repeating? The Symbiote Saga from USM? While on a surface-level I can see similarities, I expect it's going to be completely different in handling (and obviously in the characters focused on) o_O.

Heck, probably one of the bigger differences is we're likely not going to see any named Symbiotes turn up in this :sweat:.

The "rinse and repeat" that I'm talking about is another story where a symbiote (or in this case, symbiotes) possess someone. They also did a symbiote story in HULK AND THE AGENTS OF SMASH, except this symbiote grew larger when he absorbed the Agents of SMASH.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
But I think that's what a symbiote usually does, possess someone. If they changed that, some might complain the show isn't like the comics. Using them like this apparently has other complaining the show is reusing some old plots. And I imagine if they didn't use them at all, others would complain they're limiting themselves to only characters from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I guess this all is a case of "you can't please all of the people all of the time".

As for me, I don't really mind. The symbiote story from last season was pretty good from what I remember and I liked they didn't really try to establish a connection between these symbiotes and the ones from USM.

One more thought - the descriptions for "Can't Fight This Seedling" and "Hitchin' A Ride" (the symbiote episode from last season) sounded very similar, yet the episodes played out pretty differently by the end.

spyke

But I think that's what a symbiote usually does, possess someone. If they changed that, some might complain the show isn't like the comics. Using them like this apparently has other complaining the show is reusing some old plots. And I imagine if they didn't use them at all, others would complain they're limiting themselves to only characters from the Marvel Cinematic Universe. I guess this all is a case of "you can't please all of the people all of the time".

My problem is not with the symbiotes possessing someone. My problem is with the recycling of SOME of the same villains and rehashing plot lines among all of the current Marvel shows.

Frontier

Staff member
My problem is not with the symbiotes possessing someone. My problem is with the recycling of SOME of the same villains and rehashing plot lines among all of the current Marvel shows.
I think that's been an issue in the past, but I don't think the Symbiotes popping up here for an arc is anywhere near as egregious as Dormammu showing up in practically every Dr. Strange episode.

I mean, they only had one appearance in season 1 and they aren't really that prevalent in other cartoons outside USM, so I just don't think it's that much of a rehash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts