Marvel's Avengers Ultron Revolution "Captain Marvel" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this Avengers Ultron Revolution episode!

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***1/2

Votes: 1 50.0%

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Tune in for a new episode of Marvel's Avengers Ultron Revolution, today at 8:30AM ET on Disney XD!

E3aZQQR.png
Marvel's Avengers Ultron Revolution "Captain Marvel"
Episode Debut - September 18th, 2016
Directed by: Tim Eldred
Written by: Rick Williams & Jenna McGrath

The Avengers join Captain Marvel in a fight to stop a powerful sentient spaceship from destroying Earth.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Last edited:

Capt.Traphouse

Sexiest Thing Since Sex
Fun throwaway episode with a throwaway villain.

I wanted to hear more about "wiped out my squad".

Space fight and drones were cool. I wish Kree Commander Shepard's squad spoke, I liked their character designs.

Love Captain Marvel, good to see another female character in a Marvel show whose personality isn't "constant seriousness and sarcasm" (Gamora, White Tiger, Black Widow, Princess Zarda somewhat). Same reason I like Squirrel Girl, Songbird and Ms.Marvel. She's cocky and powerful and she knows it.

The evolution of the Captain Marvel and Captain America "rivalry" felt a bit rushed but I liked it was there and at times it felt organic.

Missile scene at the end was a good ending. I wish we saw what happened to Kree Commander Shepard.

RoryWilliams

It was fun finally seeing Captain Marvel. They did sorta rehash the morale about the importance of teamwork from the Vision episode last week, but in a different way (Captain Marvel's arrogance vs. Vision's inability to connect with humans). I wonder if that's gonna be the running theme through this mini-arc.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I liked Capt. Marvel. Her cocky personality could sometimes edge on grating, but I also liked how confident she was. Some good banter with the others, too. The villains weren't too interesting, but I watched this one for the guest star.

JoeMabbon

Dreadful Child
Captain Marvel was cool. The villain was lame. Didn't help that I recently rewatched Young Justice's take on this same plot a couple of weeks ago and spent most of the episode comparing the two.

It felt weird cutting away from the ship before it landed at the end.

It was fun finally seeing Captain Marvel. They did sorta rehash the morale about the importance of teamwork from the Vision episode last week, but in a different way (Captain Marvel's arrogance vs. Vision's inability to connect with humans). I wonder if that's gonna be the running theme through this mini-arc.

I wouldn't be surprised.

Frontier

Staff member
Captain Marvel finally makes her TV debut, voiced once again by Grey Griffin (so something from Frost Fight finally carried over to the TV side), and I thought it was a decent introduction for the character, if not as strong as her handling in Earth's Mightiest Heroes as Ms. Marvel in my opinion :).

Why does Captain Marvel need to fly a modified old biplane to travel around when she can fly and is probably faster then her plane? Couldn't she have just come in and lifted the Avenjet out of there? I guess the simple answer is she does it "just cuz" and "Captain Marvel is awesome" but I can't help but wonder why :confused:.

I wasn't expecting her personality here to be this brash and cocky, almost to New 52 Hal Jordan levels, which kind of grated at certain points in the episode. I mean, it's not really out-of-character to present Carol Danvers in that way, but I think it's usually it's presented a little more reasonably or tempered by her military discipline like Cap. It's a fine line between being confident and being arrogant, let alone making a character likeable when they have those traits. She did have some nice banter with the team, and Ms. Griffin did a solid job with what she had to work with, so hopefully as we see her more down the line we'll be able to better explore and add depth to her character ;).

I also think they went a little overboard in trying to present her as this "awesome" hero who's had all these adventures with the team that we've never heard about where she also pulled their butts out of the and did awesome things, not to mention having all these enemies and bad guys she's beaten the tar out of while also being very knowledgeable about tech to be able to fix things in a second compared to our resident tech genius Falcon. I guess it was tempered by her massive overconfidence, zealous rushing into danger, and needing to learn to rely on others, though those seemed to be presented as being less points for her to grow and more positive attributes of her character :shrug:.

Design-wise, she has another overly-detailed costume that maybe doesn't look as good in animation as it could while still being a good attempt at adapting her costume from the comics. It also continues the trend of Carol Danvers having some weird and inconsistent hair as Captain Marvel :p.

I'm almost kind of shocked they bothered to address her origin at all, though it was nice to see it get mentioned. So, rather then get her powers from an accident, she was just another experiment by the Kree to create their own Super-Soldier. I'm also assuming the Kree gave her the codename Captain Marvel, for whatever reason, though I doubt Mar-Vell had anything to do with it. It also established that the Kree Empire has a very vested interest in her, so it'll be interesting to see if that's developed in the future, as well as their interest in using the Inhumans as weapons o_O.

Focusing on a rivalry with Cap made sense, given their shared military background and that Carol will probably be the "Cap" of her Avengers team next season. Though I don't think she came off as well being compared to the well-rounded, reasonable, and strategic Captain America, especially when she kept trying to make everything into a competition :sweat:.

The villains were nothing to write home about, especially compared to Ms. Marvel's debut episode in Earth's Mightiest Heroes where she got to take on Ronan the Accuser, but I guess it was fitting to see Captain Marvel go up against the Kree as villains and establish her relationship to them. It was also nice to see some Kree sentries :cool:.

So the National Security Council (MCU synergy for the win) is looking into the Nuhumans? Anyone want to bet that is going to play into the Civil War arc :ack:?

Calling him "adorable" is probably the nicest thing anyone has ever said about Assemble!Hawkeye, and Carol was probably just being sarcastic about it :p.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Can we please abandon this childish notion that Iron Man needs to be the leader of the Avengers? Because that's what it is childish. Iron Man was eight years ago. Captain America has his own billion dollar movie franchise now. I never understood why the Avengers were so desperate to have Iron Man on their leader and begging him to step up to be the leader they deserve. When you frequently have Captain America acting like the leader in every way but in name only.

It's like the brass is concerned that kids will be traumatized if they find out Iron Man isn't the leader, abandoning the fact that Captain America was essentially the leader in the Avengers films.

In 2010 it was fine. Iron Man was still the flagship MCU character. And he was the founder in the comics and the cartoon. And at least they turned it into a storyline and Iron Man realized they needed Captain America as their moral leader and strategist.

Captain America is the leader of the Avengers. Just say it already. Iron Man is not a good leader. He shouldn't be leading the team. He's never been a good leader.

Frontier

Staff member
Can we please abandon this childish notion that Iron Man needs to be the leader of the Avengers? Because that's what it is childish. Iron Man was eight years ago. Captain America has his own billion dollar movie franchise now. I never understood why the Avengers were so desperate to have Iron Man on their leader and begging him to step up to be the leader they deserve. When you frequently have Captain America acting like the leader in every way but in name only.

It's like the brass is concerned that kids will be traumatized if they find out Iron Man isn't the leader, abandoning the fact that Captain America was essentially the leader in the Avengers films.

In 2010 it was fine. Iron Man was still the flagship MCU character. And he was the founder in the comics and the cartoon. And at least they turned it into a storyline and Iron Man realized they needed Captain America as their moral leader and strategist.

Captain America is the leader of the Avengers. Just say it already. Iron Man is not a good leader. He shouldn't be leading the team. He's never been a good leader.
Well, it wouldn't be the first time the Avengers have had an "official leader" while Cap is the field leader for the team. He's served in that function on numerous occasions in the comics.

I mean, yeah, Tony has been a pretty terrible leader compared to Cap across Assemble, but they've also de-emphasized his status as leader over the course of the series and he's far less the focal point of the show that he was in seasons 1 and 2.

At this point, you could just come in and assume Steve and Tony are either co-leaders or Cap is just the main leader.

Dustellar

Tony/Iron Man is the "face" of the team... here, in Avengers: emh, in movies and in comics, that doesn't make him the leader... Cap is and will always be the field leader, this is like Professor X and Cyclops, Xavier is the leader of the X-Men, but we now the real leader, the field leader, is Cyclops.

Talking about leaders... I think the only founder that wasn't leader of the Avengers in comics is Hulk, all the other characters in this series are capable and worthy of being leaders, in fact all were leaders of an Avengers team in comics too :p poor Hulk.

Troy Troodon

As much as I love Carol, I felt she was a bit too cocky here and there. It's a nice break of character from Black Widow and Gamora, but still she shouldn't be that arrogant. As blasphemous as this may sound, I'm actually glad they got Grey Delisle instead of Jennifer Hale. Yes I prefer Hale more, but we've been hearing her voice A LOT recently so it's again, a nice break away from that.

Another criticism I have, is that typical childish banter between the heroes, banter in of itself is not a bad thing, but it can be rather repetitive and irritating, especially if the heroes are acting more like stubborn children and keep talking like that for every minute, every thirty seconds. Actually this brings up another criticism that I have with the episode and to some degree the overall show-- They Never Shut Up! There is not a moment of silence from the dialogue, sound effects, or even the musical score, no quiet moments give the audience a break from the dialogue or ambience, it's just consistent noise.

Anyway other than that, I also felt the morals they taught in this episode were preachy as the previous episodes, but they didn't bother me too much.

There was actually a good bit of character animation when Carol hijacked the space plane and flew it herself. It was smooth, fluent and vibrant as animation should be.

Overall, I had problems with this episode, but for Ms. Marvel, it was worth it. ^^

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Tony/Iron Man is the "face" of the team... here, in Avengers: emh, in movies and in comics, that doesn't make him the leader... Cap is and will always be the field leader, this is like Professor X and Cyclops, Xavier is the leader of the X-Men, but we now the real leader, the field leader, is Cyclops.

Talking about leaders... I think the only founder that wasn't leader of the Avengers in comics is Hulk, all the other characters in this series are capable and worthy of being leaders, in fact all were leaders of an Avengers team in comics too :p poor Hulk.

In the first season of Assemble, a lot of it was about him being the leader and needing to buck up and be the leader. He even turned over leadership to Captain America officially, and they were all like, "But *YOU* need to be leader."

Frontier

Staff member
In the first season of Assemble, a lot of it was about him being the leader and needing to buck up and be the leader. He even turned over leadership to Captain America officially, and they were all like, "But *YOU* need to be leader."
True, and I also complained about that at the time, but I do think the degree of focus and importance of Iron Man as the leader has been toned down a lot since season 1.

Almost to the point where it's ambiguous who the actual leader of the team is at this point :sweat:.

Northstar

I really enjoyed this episode; it’s my favorite episode so far. On a side note the I think the plane that Carol was flying kind of looked like a P-51 used by the Army Air Force in WWII (The Air Force didn’t become its own Branch until sometime after the second world war.) I might be wrong I’ll have watch the episode again to be sure.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
And yeah Captain Marvel was being an arrogant jerk after she first showed up. But she seemed to snap out of it by the end.

I was fine with that characterization since it did give her a bit of personality and interesting character flaw. A character that Captain America had trouble dealing with and reining in. I thought the Air Force/Army bits were amusing.

I also like that Captain Marvel had a retractable mask.

However, favorite Captain Marvel at the end of the day for me will always be Genus-Vell.

Dudley

Staff member
It's rare to see a personality trait like that for a female superhero, so Captain Marvel was a lot of fun for me. I look forward to seeing her again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I liked how they handled Captain Marvel. She was a fun character, and got plenty of chances to shine in this episode, whether it was during action scenes or just interacting with the others. Her rivalry with Captain America was a pretty unexpected twist but I thought it was kind of refreshing and didn't get annoying as it played out. Also kind of neat they addressed Carol's origin, even if it was glossed over and wasn't exactly accurate to the comics either. Still better than not mentioning anything at all, like they did with Vision last time.

The humor worked for the most part - mainly due to Carol's addition. Her playing off Cap, Falcon, Thor and Hawkeye lead to some pretty great stuff. It was fun seeing how Carol actually learned some kind of lesson by the end of the episode, even if it was once again the team-work moral the show has tried to deliver so many times before. The bit with Hulk biting the missile was kind of weird but other than that I don't really have any complaints.

The villains were pretty generic, though I liked that they added the Kree considering Captain Marvel's connection to them from the comics (which was changed in the show, but there's still a connection). It also looks like the new Inhumans plot might lead to some more interesting developments later on, so hopefully that won't disappoint. Looking forward to Black Panther's debut next week!

Actually, I'm curious as to who voiced the Shepard. I'm inclined to believe it's Keith Silverstein.

Michael-Leon Wooley. Here's the cast list for the episode. Sorry for the small size but it's not my fault Disney XD squeezes the credits so they can air more promos. :p

5WRNQ2D.png

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.
It seems evidently that, despite being completed, ''Walpurgisnacht Rising'' hasn't been released yet. What do you think?

Featured Posts