Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "Weirdworld" Talkback (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Rate & Discuss this "Avengers: Secret Wars" episode!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

• ***1/2

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • **1/2

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
8,269 6
A Valid Location
Tune in for Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars! Disney XD will premiere two new episodes, back-to-back, today starting at 8:00AM ET!

Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "Weirdworld"
Episode Debut - March 4th, 2018
Directed by - Tim Eldred
Written by - Danielle Wolff

Black Widow and Captain Marvel must stop the now-separated Bruce Banner and Hulk from hurting each other, while fighting the evil Morgan Le Fay.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

TheLemsterPju

Jan 17, 2015
Ratings
1,548 10
I'm sorry, but this episode was very poorly written.

At first they want to leave the Hulk behind but then act shocked when Bruce says he's going to kill the Hulk; which (a.) he mentioned earlier in the episode and they didn't react to that at all and (b.) wouldn't amount to much since they wanted to leave the Hulk behind anyway.

As a minor nitpick, the animation took another dip. It was very distracting in some places.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,873 12
Framingham, MA
At first they want to leave the Hulk behind but then act shocked when Bruce says he's going to kill the Hulk; which (a.) he mentioned earlier in the episode and they didn't react to that at all and (b.) wouldn't amount to much since they wanted to leave the Hulk behind anyway.
It was Carol and Bruce who wanted to leave the Hulk behind. Natasha was never going to. And I love that aspect of the episode. Natasha is the only person who understands what is going to happen, and is merely going along with Bruce's crazy plan because she knows it will never work, and wants to be there to pick up the pieces. You can say Carol is dumb and inconsistent for being shocked Bruce planned to kill the Hulk. But Black Widow knew more about Bruce's actual mindset and situation than Bruce himself did. That totally fits and plays.

Marvel’s Avengers: Secret Wars “Weirdworld”

Wow, that was quite an episode. An amazing episode to be sure, but I don’t exactly like what I learned.

Bruce Banner is detestable. And I didn’t know that until this week. But it seems kind of obvious. Honestly, Carol was right about something. Natasha doesn’t talk enough. And it is very clear that Natasha instantly grokked that there wasn’t actually a problem with the Hulk. There was a problem with Banner. And if she could have articulated that to Carol immediately, I’m not saying things would have gone down easier for Carol, but they certainly would have been less confusing.

Carol seems to be under the impression that they are going to go back with Banner and leave the Hulk behind. But Natasha is the only person there who knows that is not what is going to happen. Every surprise twist about Banner’s irrational behavior doesn’t surprise her at all. She sees what is happening coming a mile away. She could have shared and not only saved Carol some grief, but perhaps Bruce too.

And Bruce sucks. I am SO annoyed at him taking credit for the positive and heroic aspects of the Hulk. Because there was only one person fighting for the kill in that tussle. And it wasn’t the Hulk. The Hulk actually tried to calm him down and said the unthinkable: That they are the same person. And they’ve never been treated as such in most projects, and I like that by the end of the episode they sort of shook things up to the point where both Hulk and Bruce were willing to acknowledge that fact.

But seriously, Bruce is dumb for thinking he controlled the Hulk’s heroic aspects. Because his entire mantra is that the Hulk can’t be controlled. And then he qualifies, “Well, only by me.” But I think he was right the first time. And all throughout the episode while he was trying to kill the Hulk, and the Hulk was defensively fighting with the explicit intent never to hurt Bruce, tells me that not only is Hulk a better person than Bruce, he’s actually a smarter one too. So, yeah, Bruce gets no credit for Hulk’s virtue. If he was truly controlling things, Hulk would be a bad guy.

Can I just point out the specific reason Bruce sucks so much? He was acting so deranged during the episode, that I was sure Morgaine Le Fey put a mind control spell on him. But it turns out that was all him? He totally sucks.

I love the designs on the Birdsqautch and The Very Bad Horsemen.

As I said, that was quite an episode. But I’m about as ticked off by what I just saw as I was amazed. I’m going to grade it as amazing, but I usually don’t simultaneously hate things I grade this highly. ****1/2.

TheLemsterPju

Jan 17, 2015
Ratings
1,548 10
It was Carol and Bruce who wanted to leave the Hulk behind. Natasha was never going to. And I love that aspect of the episode. Natasha is the only person who understands what is going to happen, and is merely going along with Bruce's crazy plan because she knows it will never work, and wants to be there to pick up the pieces. You can say Carol is dumb and inconsistent for being shocked Bruce planned to kill the Hulk. But Black Widow knew more about Bruce's actual mindset and situation than Bruce himself did. That totally fits and plays.

Marvel’s Avengers: Secret Wars “Weirdworld”

Wow, that was quite an episode. An amazing episode to be sure, but I don’t exactly like what I learned.

Bruce Banner is detestable. And I didn’t know that until this week. But it seems kind of obvious. Honestly, Carol was right about something. Natasha doesn’t talk enough. And it is very clear that Natasha instantly grokked that there wasn’t actually a problem with the Hulk. There was a problem with Banner. And if she could have articulated that to Carol immediately, I’m not saying things would have gone down easier for Carol, but they certainly would have been less confusing.

Carol seems to be under the impression that they are going to go back with Banner and leave the Hulk behind. But Natasha is the only person there who knows that is not what is going to happen. Every surprise twist about Banner’s irrational behavior doesn’t surprise her at all. She sees what is happening coming a mile away. She could have shared and not only saved Carol some grief, but perhaps Bruce too.

And Bruce sucks. I am SO annoyed at him taking credit for the positive and heroic aspects of the Hulk. Because there was only one person fighting for the kill in that tussle. And it wasn’t the Hulk. The Hulk actually tried to calm him down and said the unthinkable: That they are the same person. And they’ve never been treated as such in most projects, and I like that by the end of the episode they sort of shook things up to the point where both Hulk and Bruce were willing to acknowledge that fact.

But seriously, Bruce is dumb for thinking he controlled the Hulk’s heroic aspects. Because his entire mantra is that the Hulk can’t be controlled. And then he qualifies, “Well, only by me.” But I think he was right the first time. And all throughout the episode while he was trying to kill the Hulk, and the Hulk was defensively fighting with the explicit intent never to hurt Bruce, tells me that not only is Hulk a better person than Bruce, he’s actually a smarter one too. So, yeah, Bruce gets no credit for Hulk’s virtue. If he was truly controlling things, Hulk would be a bad guy.

Can I just point out the specific reason Bruce sucks so much? He was acting so deranged during the episode, that I was sure Morgaine Le Fey put a mind control spell on him. But it turns out that was all him? He totally sucks.

I love the designs on the Birdsqautch and The Very Bad Horsemen.

As I said, that was quite an episode. But I’m about as ticked off by what I just saw as I was amazed. I’m going to grade it as amazing, but I usually don’t simultaneously hate things I grade this highly. ****1/2.
Why is your post labeled as funny? There wasn't a joke in there...

Roxas_Sora

Apr 5, 2007
Ratings
321 1
South of Europe
I couldn't find time to see the last two episodes until now, so lets see:

+ Definitely, "Weirdworld" won its name.

+ I thought Black Widow and Captain Marvel would make a good team, considering they are the strongest female members of the Avengers and some other details; but I wasn't too right about it. Truth be told, Captain Marvel was right when she said to Natasha she should talk more and share information. But I guess that's asking too much to a master spy.

+ Is it just me or the "Bannerless" Hulk acted in a very "ape-ish" way, almost like a gorilla? I have seen Hulk angry many times, but never acting like this.

+ It bugged me very much when Captain Marvel said they should leave the Hulk behind.

+ Banner really acted like a real jerk in this episode. But to be honest, I think that could be an effect of being splitted into two. I mean, any Jekyll would like to get rid of his Hyde; like Dr Connors getting rid of the Lizard, for example. But when Banner and Hulk were fighting, and Hulk said "I am you", I couldn't avoid to think "Who's the real monster here?".

+ Black Widow made a very good point marking that Banner has his own anger issues without the Hulk. Well, duh!! Hulk's rage had to come from somewhere in the first place!!

+ Morgan Le Fay's design was an interesting surprise. From her debut back in "Ultimate Spider-Man", to the same look she used in comics as queen of Weirdworld. However, even Spidey was able to recognize the name from the Arthurian legend, so how is it possible neither of the three Avengers recognized her? By the way, she hating "people who talks too much" could have something about her encounter with Spider-Man? Personally, I bet on it.

+ Morgan wanted to absorb "Hulk's magical essence"? And since when is Hulk magical? Besides, wouldn't that turn Morgan into a kind of She-Hulk?

Well, opinions?

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,792 47
Sherman Oaks CA
Well, I guess we got an episode with the two main black members of the old and new Avengers, why not an episode showcasing the two main women (sorry Wasp and Kamala) ;)?

Weirdworld was definitely suitably weird, even if there was only so much the show could go into in one episode or capture in it's normal animation style :ack:.

Once again an episode of Avengers Assemble does a better job of capturing the Hulk/Banner dynamic and the complex relationship between the two then Where Monsters Dwell did, despite the fact that that movie was supposed to really go in-depth with it. I mean, you had Banner at his most deranged and going on a one-man hunt to kill The Hulk. Pretty far cry from your usual Avengers Assemble fare or Hulk's portrayal in most cartoons :eek:.

I was glad to see the show dive into how frustrated and hateful Banner can be of being stuck with The Hulk, and how that reflects on the feelings and anger that created The Hulk in the first place, though I feel like it would've worked better had the show ever showed or gone more into what Bruce has had to sacrifice or deal with because of his being stuck with The Hulk (the military hounding him, Betty, etc.) :shrug:.

I love how Widow just ignored Carol's attempt at banter and complained about how much Carol talks. It was almost as amusing as Carol trying to portray her constant boasting of past exploits as a sound mission strategy :p.

Morgan Le Fay was an interesting antagonist for this episode, and fit the Weirdworld setting, but admittedly in a season where we've already had the Enchantress as a fairly prominent evil sorceress in a green outfit, she did feel a little "been there, done that" :sweat:.

"The smart Hulk is back!" Well, for a given definition of "smart." I mean, we've all seen what kind of antics Hulk gets up too :rolleyes2:.

I loved how Hulk noticed he apparently wasn't important enough to warrant sending more Avengers after him. I mean, ultimately Natasha and Carol didn't even do that much aside from maybe nudge Bruce into accepting the Hulk again.