Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "The Vibranium Coast" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this "Avengers: Secret Wars" episode!

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Tune in for a new episode of Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars, today at 9:30AM ET on Disney XD!

lVaQ7SR.png
Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "The Vibranium Coast"
Episode Debut - January 14th, 2018
Directed by - Micah Gunnell
Written by - Zach Craley

Ant-Man and Ms. Marvel must team up with the pirate Typhoid Mary to battle Red Skull and Crossbones.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Typhoid Mary really toes the line between being funny and annoying, but Tara Strong sure seemed to have a blast voicing her, and I smiled quite a bit, so that's good. Red (I mean Dread) Skull was underwhelming, though.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "The Vibranium Coast"

I was getting serious Harley Quinn vibes from Typhoid Mary. I like that she has a whole bunch of weird facial ticks and mock talks with her hands when Crossbones is droning on. I also like that her monkey picks fleas out of her hair. I also thought it was cool she saved Ant-Man's life from the security trap.

Red Skull looks ridiculous in pirate get-up. Totally dumb.

Jilted monkey lover revenge. I love that idea and laughed at the gorilla biting the head off the Skullbot.

I also laughed when Ms. Marvel groused that Mary got a chair and she and Ant-Man didn't. Really, a chair is not to much to ask. Great observational humor there.

Funny episode although Dread Skull is usually dumb, even for this show. ****.

Frontier

Staff member
Y'know, Disney XD bingeing these episodes together makes them having virtually the same intro explaining the plot and situation very noticeable and jarring o_O.

Wouldn't it make more sense to send Black Panther after Vibranium then Ms. Marvel and Ant-Man? Heck, if you wanted to use your former thief, it's not like T'Challa hasn't already teamed-up with Scott before :shrug:.

Typhoid Mary is so random and crazy and Tara Strong and the writers just seem to be enjoying the heck out of it, especially with the addition of a pirate theme and monkeys. I have to say I enjoyed it quite a bit too, particularly with our heroes as her straight-men :D.

I love how Red Skull went all-in on the Pirate theme. I mean, I'm not sure if it actually makes sense for his character and he looked pretty goofy in that pirate getup, but it was just kind of hilarious watching him like that and to see him get so into character :p.

It was also nice to see Crossbones working under Skull, like in the comics ;).

With all those monkey's and that big ape at the end, I was starting to think we were getting into Gorilla City on a DC show :confused:.

I know Ms. Marvel was just quipping, but I don't think I could ever see Kamala's parents actually allowing her to take fencing. Still, it was pretty cool to see her dual-wielding :cool:.

Mary's monkey marrying that ape is still more romance then we generally get in most Marvel cartoons :sweat:.

Well, at least Cap got to cameo in an episode featuring the Red Skull, though I wonder if they were saving up that "Aye Captain" joke all episode :rolleyes2:?

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Typhoid Mary was kind of annoying, but there were some amusing scenes as well. The pirate theme seemed pretty random, but it was harmless enough. I wasn't expecting Red Skull to be the villain.

Ant-Man and Ms. Marvel were a pretty fun team. I liked their reactions to just about everything Mary did or was happening to them in this story.

The monkey love story was surprisingly sweet. :p

I don't really have much to say about this episode. It was kind of enjoyable but probably the weakest from the four that premiered together.

Frontier

Staff member
Y'know, it's more noticeable with all the random team-up or pairings we get with the Avengers now, but I just realized that Ant-Man and Wasp have barely been shown together or have hardly ever interacted this season.

Anyone else find that a little odd o_O?

Last edited:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Y'know, Disney XD bingeing these episodes together makes them having virtually the same intro explaining the plot and situation very noticeable and jarring o_O.

Typhoid Mary is so random and crazy and Tara Strong and the writers just seem to be enjoying the heck out of it, especially with the addition of a pirate theme and monkeys. I have to say I enjoyed it quite a bit too, particularly with our heroes as her straight-men :D.

I love how Red Skull went all-in on the Pirate theme. I mean, I'm not sure if it actually makes sense for his character and he looked pretty goofy in that pirate getup, but it was just kind of hilarious watching him like that and to see him get so into character :p.

That reminds me of how I'd get upset by Spidey reintroducing and explaining things on USM. It's like they think they make these for goldfish sometimes.

Anyways, Typhoid Mary was fun and I always love Kamala's enthusiasm for cool superhero stuff. I wonder if her parents give her a curfew or anything. She always seems to be able to go away and do Avengers stuff.

I still wish Scott behaved a little more like he used to before Josh got the role.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
The Beyonder intro is kind of lame when you're binge-watching these episodes, but I didn't find it as redundant as some of the scenes on USM. (We didn't get Kamala explaining to the audience who Typhoid Mary is, or Ant-Man doing the same for Red Skull). This intro will most likely be used for the next episodes, as well. Speaking of which, I presume the Secret Wars arc will take up the last few episodes of the season (I doubt there will be another smaller arc towards the end).

Roxas_Sora

OK, let's wrap this up with the last episode of this Sunday.

+ It seems each episode until the end is going to start almost exactly like Episode 19, only explaining the episode's mission for each individual.

+ We have located in the map the areas of "The Red Skull Sea" and "The Vibranium Coast". I truly hope most of the planet will be explored and located in the map.

+ Ms Marvel mentioned Atlantis and Monster Island. I wouldn't be surprised if they are actually part of this area too. It would be too fitting!

+ OK, I'll say it. Even although I'm not too familiar with the character Typhoid Mary in the comics or other series, this woman must be Marvel's equivalent to DC's Harley Quinn. She's completely "nutsy-cuckoo"!!

+ There's a mention of "Port Hydra". I wouldn't be surprised if it's based on "Port Royal", from "Pirates of the Caribbean". In fact, all the episode made me think about "Pirates of the Caribbean", with Typhoid Mary being possibly a twisted reflection of Jack Sparrow. (They said it's dangerous to have a woman on board of the ship; well, I bet Sparrow would agree that THIS woman is even too dangerous even not on board).

+ Speaking of "Port Hydra", I bet it's located on the peninsula of the Red Skull Sea that looks like... A tentacle, like the ones from Hydra! I wouldn't be surprised either if this Port Hydra is located in the potential area of Battleworld known as "Hydra Empire".

+ I really liked the whole pirate gang of Red Skull and Crossbones, and the Red Skull's robots as crew would have been even better; the remembered me the skelleton pirates from the first movie of "Pirates of the Caribbean". You know?, Taskmaster could have fit here perfectly with his "skull mask". Grim Reaper would have been another good "Hydra Pirate"; and maybe even Baron Zemo with his swords. We only need Red Skull to say "Unleash the Krakken!", especially if we consider there's a Hydra member known as "Krakken". (Maybe the Giant Monster Doc Ock from the last episode of "Ultimate Spider-Man"?).

+ Very nice tricks coming from Ant-Man's powers in this episode. First, he turns a cannon's ball into a GIANT cannon's ball. Then, they make a ship in the bottle grow to get a way to escape. (Although, I'm not sure if this ship would be useful, considering its helm can't work like that and its cannon are not real weapons). I don't know if I saw similar tricks in the One Piece's manga.

+ Finally, the whole thing with the primates made me think about the Super-Apes (Red Ghost's pets), as the gorilla brought me to mind Mikloh the gorilla. I'm not sure if one of the monkeys was also Igor the baboon.

Well, opinions?

TheLemsterPju

I don't think she was this exaggerated in the comics. I almost feel like the writers were trying to make Typhoid Mary a copycat of Deadpool since they know they can't use him.

But not like how Typhoid Mary used him...

Roxas_Sora

I don't think she was this exaggerated in the comics. I almost feel like the writers were trying to make Typhoid Mary a copycat of Deadpool since they know they can't use him.

Well, technically, now they can use Deadpool; the problem is Deadpool is too much, even if we put Disney away.

Frontier

Staff member

I dunno, she's definitely different from the comics where she's got much more of an edge but I didn't get the sense that she was anything like Deadpool in this episode.

She honestly felt even more wacky and crazy then he does :sweat:.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I think I mentioned this in the talkback for Typhoid's Mary's first appearance on the show, but she kind of reminded me more of Mad Harriet, than Harley Quinn. Granted, Harley is much more popular and I do see some similarities. I imagine they knew what they were doing when they cast Tara Strong to voice her.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Does this count as the first ever animated appearance for Typhoid Mary? A bit of a random villain to use, but still sort of neat. And Tara Strong was basically playing her a lot like Harley Quinn, but it was fine for a one-off appearance. It didn't really seem to get across her super-powers at all other than that she was crazy. Isn't she supposed to have psionic powers. The only sign of that I guess was when she set her map on fire.

Frontier

Staff member
Does this count as the first ever animated appearance for Typhoid Mary? A bit of a random villain to use, but still sort of neat. And Tara Strong was basically playing her a lot like Harley Quinn, but it was fine for a one-off appearance. It didn't really seem to get across her super-powers at all other than that she was crazy. Isn't she supposed to have psionic powers. The only sign of that I guess was when she set her map on fire.
She appeared earlier in the season in the "Prison Break" episode.

She got to do a lot more with her powers.

McMax

+ Finally, the whole thing with the primates made me think about the Super-Apes (Red Ghost's pets), as the gorilla brought me to mind Mikloh the gorilla. I'm not sure if one of the monkeys was also Igor the baboon.
Well, opinions?

I was disappointed that the Super Apes weren't in this. And why did both Ant-Man and Ms Marvel used their powers so sparingly? Also what's the deal with Typhoid Mary? I've been out of comics for years and in Daredevil she was a nasty piece of work.

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
I was disappointed that the Super Apes weren't in this. And why did both Ant-Man and Ms Marvel used their powers so sparingly? Also what's the deal with Typhoid Mary? I've been out of comics for years and in Daredevil she was a nasty piece of work.

She's a schizophrenic mutant villain with psionic powers, hence her depiction as a wacky crazy person. I think part of the reason they didn't use their powers much is there were no ants for Ant-Man to use and he was constantly losing his helmet. Also, it looks like the manacles the bad guys used negated their powers as well when they were tied up.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

WBD announces a Meerkat Manor animated film. In other news, the world suddenly remembers Meerkat Manor exists.
Today marks the 5th Year Anniversary of when the HD Double Pack of Final Fantasy X & X-2 was released on the Nintendo Switch in North America. It was nice to be able to play my favorite Final Fantasy game on a Nintendo system.
Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)

Featured Posts