Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "The Immortal Weapon" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this "Avengers: Secret Wars" episode!

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Tune in for a new episode of Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars, today at 9:00AM ET on Disney XD!

lVaQ7SR.png
Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "The Immortal Weapon"
Episode Debut - January 14th, 2018
Directed by - Tim Eldred
Written by - Trevor Devall

While trying to retrieve Heimdall’s sword, Black Panther and Falcon team up with Iron Fist to overcome symbiote-powered Dracula and his vampires.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Easily the weakest episode because of forced drama and bad dialogue.

OK, so Iron Fist can't say Dracula's name...can he write his name on a piece of paper? And even if he can't, there were so many ways he could have re-phrased it ("I have a vampire/evil villain/great menace trapped"). Coming off super aggressive like that was dumb.

And Black Panther's big plan was...to escape to where it was sunny? I thought they were already doing that?

On the bright side, this is the first episode that addresses Falcon's new age, and I like the idea of him not wanting to be treated the same way as he used to be when he was still a novice.

TheLemsterPju

Did Danny imply that all the other fighters of K'un L'un were killed?

At least he finally returned to it like he said he would all the way back in "Journey of the Iron Fist". I wonder where the SHIELD Academy graduates are, especially Iron Fist's original team...

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
This episode featured a Symbiote-possessed Dracula battling a flying dragon. All your complaints are irrelevant.
^^This. Positive grade from me, despite how dumb things were.

Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "The Immortal Weapon"

Good for the show for giving a plausible reason for the "pointless hero fight": Iron Fist was cursed from speaking Dracula's name. Still, he probably could have done a better job than THAT explaining the danger without the name.

Venom Dracula is a scary idea, and he has a creepy laugh. But I thought Venom was now "Agent Venom" and with Flash Thompson and now a good guy. Another thing to show these shows have VERY loose continuity with each other.

I liked it. ***1/2.

Frontier

Staff member
Was that dragon supposed to be Shou-Lao :confused:?

We get it Sam, you're not a kid anymore. I appreciate the show dealing with Sam's age-up/reboot, even if it doesn't really work with T'Challa since he barely even interacted with Sam before this episode, but I can't wait until we can just forget about the days when Sam was a teenager :rolleyes:.

I'm kind of surprised they brought back Greg Cipes as Iron Fist given USM is over, but I guess they wanted viewers to feel some connection to this version of Iron Fist :).

While it was nice seeing him again, with the design changes I was just kind of confused to whether this version of Danny was supposed to be older or just grew his hair out o_O.

I'm glad we got to see Iron Fist beat Black Panther in their fight. I know T'Challa is often treated as uber-competent on this show, so it was nice to see him lose in a straight-up fight against a master fighter like Iron Fist ;).

Well, at least the writers tried to justify why Danny couldn't just explain what was going on to Sam and T'Challa, though it was still a pretty contrived situation altogether :shrug:.

Of course an episode featuring Iron Fist and K'un-Lun would feature so much action and weapon-wielding :D.

It was cool to see Dracula again, and having him fused with the Venom Symbiote was a neat and monstrous twist :evil:.

Though somehow I don't think they're going to be able to keep the Symbiote continuity consistent among all the shows (like, what was it doing on a random satellite?) :ack:.

Poor Heimdall. Not only did he lose his sword, but now it's just getting passed around from Avenger to Avenger :sweat:.

That being said, T'Challa with that big sword actually was pretty cool :cool:.

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I was wondering if anyone will acknowledge Falcon's new age. His team-up with Black Panther was pretty good though most of their arguments did get kind of annoying.

Falcon, with his new look, fighting vampires using a sword reminded me of Blade.

Pretty nice seeing Iron Fist again. He's pretty much the same as he was on Ultimate Spider-Man, as opposed to the re-imagined Sam Alexander Nova on Guardians. I didn't really mind though. His fight scene with T'Challa was pretty awesome.

I would be cool if a future episode of Marvel's Spider-Man explains how the symbiote ended up on a satellite. I doubt it will happen, though.

Frontier

Staff member
I would be cool if a future episode of Marvel's Spider-Man explains how the symbiote ended up on a satellite. I doubt it will happen, though.
I guess this could've been before the Symbiote originally came to Earth for study, which would make all this a prequel to Marvel's Spider-Man, even though Greg Cipes' Iron Fist implies Ultimate Spider-Man is still in continuity and....now my brain hurts :confused:.

ChessKing

I know Iron Fist and Falcon met in the Ultimate Spider-Man season 3: Web Warriors two-parter titled Avenging Spider-Man.
But where did Iron Fist meet Black Panther he acted like they met before but in what episode did they meet??

I guess this could've been before the Symbiote originally came to Earth for study, which would make all this a prequel to Marvel's Spider-Man, even though Greg Cipes' Iron Fist implies Ultimate Spider-Man is still in continuity and....now my brain hurts :confused:.

Maybe this is a prequel to Marvel's Spider-Man and something happens when they return the pieces of Battleworld back to normal just like the comics with Miles Morales and how he was brought to the main (616) universe.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Two things got on my nerves; Black Panther constantly getting on Sam about being reckless (has Sam been reckless in this series?) and Iron Fist bring automatically out for blood (it felt very un-Danny). Other than that, the episode was okay with me, though I wish they had done something other than using Dracula again instead of another threat.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
Two things got on my nerves; Black Panther constantly getting on Sam about being reckless (has Sam been reckless in this series?) and Iron Fist bring automatically out for blood (it felt very un-Danny). Other than that, the episode was okay with me, though I wish they had done something other than using Dracula again instead of another threat.

I think they were trying to spin that as part of how "different" Sam is now, even if he was originally portrayed as being more focused and strict then he was even before they synergized him with the movies :confused:.

I feel like they used Dracula, along with the some of their other character choices in these episodes, because they wanted to go with recognizable villains that we've already seen this season for the Battleworld arc.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I don't think T'Challa even spent that much time on the team with Sam - at least from what was shown - for him to form an accurate opinion about how reckless he can be.

Danny's actions in the first part were weird but I did like the fight scenes. Him knowing T'Challa wasn't all that strange, considering other more bizarre inconsistencies in these shows.

Also, they could use the Beyonder's vaguely described powers to explain the USM Iron Fist and the apparent connection to Marvel's Spider-Man, since he was able to get Tony from another dimension he might be able to take people and objects from different universes and timelines.

Frontier

Staff member
I don't think T'Challa even spent that much time on the team with Sam - at least from what was shown - for him to form an accurate opinion about how reckless he can be.
Yeah, I think if you were going to have anyone for Sam to bounce off of that would make him re-emphasize how "he's not a kid anymore," then it would have to be someone who knew him well before his Kang adventures.

I think it's still a little weird that we haven't really seen any of the original team, especially Cap, have any kind of acknowledgement as to what happened to Sam o_O.
Also, they could use the Beyonder's vaguely described powers to explain the USM Iron Fist and the apparent connection to Marvel's Spider-Man, since he was able to get Tony from another dimension he might be able to take people and objects from different universes and timelines.
I'm going to laugh if, when The Avengers finally restore the world, they arrive back in New York and then Robbie Daymond's Spider-Man swings by :p.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I'm going to laugh if, when The Avengers finally restore the world, they arrive back in New York and then Robbie Daymond's Spider-Man swings by :p.

That would have been a good way to segue into the Panther's Quest designs.
Has Spidey been on the show since the time the team split?

Frontier

Staff member
That would have been a good way to segue into the Panther's Quest designs.
Has Spidey been on the show since the time the team split?

I think the last time he showed up was when the Squadron took over the Earth late season 2, and he was shown fighting against their drones.

Roxas_Sora

I finally was able to see the other 2 episodes of last Sunday. Let's start with this one:

+ "NYC Underworld": Not very original as a name, honestly. First time I heard it, I thought it would be like Monster Metropolis, under New York.

+ The Kun-Lun that appeared in this episode was quite different from the one from "Ultimate Spider-Man". Basically, there was no sign of the Humalaya's weather in the whole city. I know Battleworld is like a patchworld Frankenstein, but still, it was very weird. In USM, we didn't even see any citizen besides the monks and the warriors.

+ I'm very glad to see Iron Fist again, and in hopes this means "Ultimate Spider-Man" is still bonded to this "reality". Although to be honest, I would have liked to see Danny using his last suit from USM, the one he received after being purified from Dormmamu thanks to Dagger's light.

+ How is it even possible that the symbiote that bonded with Dracula was Venom? If USM is still cannon, it should have stay bonded with Flash Thompson. And how it ended in that satellite in the first place? Only option I see, it may be one of the surviving remains after Loki and Octopus' attack in Season 3's first episodes. Honestly, I believe one of Hydra's samples of Carnage would have been more fitting, considering Carnage seems made of blood. (Quite appropited for a vampire, huh?).

+ Dracula's form bonded with the symbiote made me remember Mac Gargan's (Scorpion's) version of Venom. And I have to say, even although the symbiote protected Dracula from the sun, I doubt that made him unbeatable. I mean, isn't the symbiote still vulnerable to sound and fire?

+ Contrarily to what someones said, the dragon who appearred here was not Shou-Lao. Compared to its design in comics and the two versions we saw in USM, this dragon was too tiny for it.

Well, opinions?

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Glad to see Greg Cipes back as Iron Fist. This version of K'un L'un looked more like a Mayan or Incan temple than what I would expect K'un L'un to look like though. And Iron Fist had a more substantial role than Moon Knight did.

Frontier

Staff member
Glad to see Greg Cipes back as Iron Fist. This version of K'un L'un looked more like a Mayan or Incan temple than what I would expect K'un L'un to look like though. And Iron Fist had a more substantial role than Moon Knight did.
I would chalk that up to the patchwork nature of Battleworld.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts