Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "The Eye of Agamotto, Parts 1-2" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this "Avengers: Secret Wars" story-arc!

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***1/2

Votes: 1 25.0%

• **1/2

Votes: 2 50.0%

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Tune in for a new Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars two-part episode! Both parts will premiere today on Disney XD, starting at 8:00AM ET!

lVaQ7SR.png
Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "The Eye of Agamotto, Parts 1-2"
Episode Debut - January 7th, 2018

The vengeful Agamotto attacks the Avengers and attempts to take back the Eye of Agamotto!

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
The first episode was fun, but the ending got a bit cheesy with the whole hacking into magic bit. I did like Shuri, though.

The second episode was an improvement. Agamotto made for a powerful enemy, and I liked the portrayal of the magical battles between him and Strange. Also, the use of Magic Hulk was actually an interesting idea, especially the part about how he could strengthen his magic using his anger, like Agamotto was doing,

TheLemsterPju

I feel like Agamotto wasn't as powerful as he should have been. In the comics, his magical abilities are about as powerful as Klarion's in Young Justice (just to give you an idea). His display of powers here seem...slow, limited and weaksauce. :(

Last edited:

Roxas_Sora

I managed to see the episodes.

Something curious. Don't you think Agamotto's shadow clones looked like the Doppelgangers created by Magus in the comics during Infinity War? ("Infinity War", how ironic). At least Captain America's shadow. Black Panther's shadow, however, reminded me a little of his Venomized self from "Venomverse".

Frontier

Staff member
That's a nice ringtone you've got there Panther :rolleyes2:.

I know Tony's coming back for the Secret Wars storyline and it's not like we haven't seen Iron Man in the holiday one-off episodes, but it still feels strange to me that there is seemingly no concern or focus on getting Iron Man back now that all the other Avengers are back and working as a single unit o_O.

Heck, T'Challa has pretty much effortlessly replaced Tony in all the stuff he used to do for the team and no one seems to be batting an eye :ack:.

(Sigh) I already miss Avengers Mansion. Avengers Compound just doesn't do it for me :sad:.

Black Panther being torn between being an Avenger and being King is the classic struggle for him in the comics, so it was nice to see that addressed here and to see him also team-up with Cap ;).

Honestly, I just find it kind of hilarious to see they rebooted Baron Mordo to where he's almost the exact same character, he just looks a little more like Chiwetel Ejiofor :p.

Although it was still nice to see the cartoons use another Dr. Strange villain that isn't Dormammu, despite the fact that Mordo in this was voiced by Dormammu's VA. I'm only a tad disappointed we didn't get to see Strange and Mordo square off in this two-parter :sad:.

Of course Black Panther never mentioned having a sister Cap, no one on these shows ever talks about their family or private lives (unless it's Falcon's mom or one Hank Pym reference) :rolleyes2:.

It was pretty cool to see Shuri get to make her proper animated debut here, and set her up for a more major role next season, and I thought the show did a good job of capturing her as T'Challa's bratty, intelligent, and capable little sister :D.

Is every member of the Wakandan Royal Family an overachiever? Shuri could probably give everyone on Marvel's Spider-Man a run for their money :cool:.

Kimberly Brooks was basically doing the same posh, British, accent she uses for Allura on Voltron: Legendary Defender, but shouldn't Shuri have the same vaguely African accent that T'Challa has? I know she mentioned she was getting out of Oxford, which is in England, but was she not raised in Wakanda :confused:?

I know Marvel is big on this whole "magic is just science we don't understand yet" deal, but Shuri being able to hack an ancient magic artifact in a few minutes just felt a bit too much :rolleyes:.

I'm kind of surprised nobody tried to save Mordo before he got dragged through that portal...

Knowing Baron Mordo and magic was involved, why didn't the heroes think to bring Dr. Strange into this before some random guy in a cloak asked them to help find him? And then they drag said random cloaked guy all the way back to Avengers Compound :quinn:?

So...The Avengers have to do their own finances? See, this is what happens when you don't have any civilian or supporting characters to do the menial stuff in your life :harley:.

I forget, was Dr. Strange's spells always tetragram-shaped like that? Because it felt like a nod to the movies, even though Strange's spell-casting in this was much closer to the comics compared to the MCU, especially with his lyrical spells.

Agamotto was kind of a "generic powerful magic villain," though one elevated by Corey Burton's performance (but I prefer his Dracula). It was kind of cool to see him and Dr. Strange fighting against each other with their spells and sorcery :anime:.

The Shadow Avengers also actually looked pretty cool :evil:.

It was nice to see not only Dr. Strange in such a leading role in the second part, but Bruce Banner as well. I thought the Banner/Strange team was surprisingly fun to watch, and seeing them paired together reminded me of "Where Monsters Dwell" :).

"Hulk Magic Smash!" I never thought a magic-powered Hulk beating on a bad guy could be so fun :proud:.

So tired of these shows spamming Mindless Ones
At least we managed to avoid throwing in Dormammu for the umpteenth time (especially since Phil LaMarr was playing Mordo).

Dudley

Staff member
So I see the MCU influenced Mordo’s design.
Man, magic is such a load of BS in this. All you say is a bunch of words and things happen, or just do a bunch of random spells. If you don’t set ground rules of Magic’s capabilities, it just comes off as OP, but I digress...

Episodes were for the most part kind of meh, because Agamotto as powerful as he was, it makes me miss EMH, when overpowered characters really left an impact. Everything felt a little dull here.
Ah well, it’s always nice to see them use Banner more. Shuri was kind of a Mary Sue. I mean, hack magic? Give me a break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
So I see the MCU influenced Mordo’s design.
Man, magic is such a load of BS in this. All you say is a bunch of words and things happen, or just do a bunch of random spells. If you don’t set ground rules of Magic’s capabilities, it just comes off as OP, but I digress...
There actually are ground rules for magic in the Marvel Universe, even if the writers in the comics have constantly ignored it themselves, but I'm not surprised the cartoon writers forego it for just simple magic and spells in what's basically a guest-spot for Dr. Straneg and company.
Shuri was kind of a Mary Sue. I mean, hack magic? Give me a break.
Seriously, if she can hack magic does that mean she could actually hack Dr. Strange's gloves, the eye of Agamotto, the Cloak of Levitation, or Thor's hammer :p?

SweetShop209

I did not expect Michael Vogel to write part 1. Then again, considering he worked at Sony on Spectacular SpiderMan (though not writing any episodes), and Kevin Burke & Chris Doc Wyatt (Marvel mainstays) worked with him on My Little Pony, I'm not too surprised. That probably helps explain the higher quality I see here.

TheLemsterPju

I'm kind of surprised nobody tried to save Mordo before he got dragged through that portal...

Why would they save a potential mass murderer? I guess the Avengers here follow the same rule of Christopher Nolan's Batman:

Plus, Mordo is capable of finding his way out of another dimension somehow.

Frontier

Staff member
Why would they save a potential mass murderer? I guess the Avengers here follow the same rule of Christopher Nolan's Batman:

Plus, Mordo is capable of finding his way out of another dimension somehow.
I dunno, it just felt out-of-character for The Avengers, especially Cap.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
As if Mordo's actually dead.

Avengers: Secret Wars "The Eye Of Agamotto: Part One"

Black Panther breaking Mordo's staff was so dumb. What if it hadn't fixed Cap's weakened state? Cap might have been stuck that way forever. I really hate the "break the magical object so things go back to normal" trope so much because nobody who does it can possibly know it will work. **.

Avengers: Secret Wars "The Eye Of Agamotto: Part Two"

God, I've missed Hulk. I love that he's gained enough control and stability to turn back into Banner whenever it suits him. That is so cool and was probably the smartest thing anyone did in the episode. Loved him teaching Doctor Strange to smash at the end too.

The animation was unusually good this episode too. I'm not a huge action scene fan, but even I could tell the animation was smoother than it used to be.

The second part was really good. ****1/2. Two-Part Average: ***1/2.

TheLemsterPju

But is Agamotto dead? Strange said something about trapping him, yet it showed Agamotto dissipating into nothing when he went through. Totally unlike how Mordo went through the portal he was sent into.

Frontier

Staff member
But is Agamotto dead? Strange said something about trapping him, yet it showed Agamotto dissipating into nothing when he went through. Totally unlike how Mordo went through the portal he was sent into.
I'm not sure if it's really possible to kill a godlike being like Agamotto.

That dissipating might have just been his corporeal form, which he doesn't need, fading.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts