Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "Dimension Z" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this "Avengers: Secret Wars" episode!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

• ***1/2

• **1/2

Votes: 1 50.0%

• *1/2

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Tune in for a new episode of Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars, today at 8:30AM ET on Disney XD!

lVaQ7SR.png
Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "Dimension Z"
Episode Debut - October 15th, 2017

Ant-Man travels to another dimension to rescue Black Widow, Captain America and Hawkeye from Arnim Zola.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

Frontier

Staff member
I know the cartoons don't use "Previously On..." anymore, but did they have to re-use the exact same scene of Jane Foster explaining everything from the last episode :shrug:?

I see they went with the Hydraworld version of Dimension Z rather then the version with Zola's mutants and Jet Black. I guess the former is a little more easier to adapt into one-episode storyline, though it reminded me a lot of that Hydra episode of the Agents of SMASH time travel storyline and Spider-Man Noir's world from Ultimate Spider-Man :).

Hawkeye and Black Widow using 30's lingo and accents was pretty funny, especially with Widow doing it :p.

It was cool seeing Cap use his old shield since his proper one is still resting in Avengers Mansion :cool:.

Black Widow actually looked pretty cute with her hair in a bun, though definitely not as nice as when she lets it flow free :anime:.

Zola taking over Cap's body and making him say "Hail Hydra" is probably the closest the cartoons will ever get to adapting Secret Empire (outside SkrullCap from Earth's Mightiest Heroes, which predated the storyline), which I am perfectly okay with ;).

"That was...pretty awful." Quite a few fans had the same reaction to the HydraCap storyline :rolleyes2:.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
I'm tired of Arnim Zola, but the fact that he got Captain America to say "Hail Hydra!" had me wondering when this episode was written. If it was before Secret Empire was written - could that have actually been an eerie coincidence?

Otherwise, OK episode. But it's becoming apparent that Assemble has the weakest writing from the three current Marvel cartoons.

Frontier

Staff member
I'm tired of Arnim Zola, but the fact that he got Captain America to say "Hail Hydra!" had me wondering when this episode was written. If it was before Secret Empire was written - could that have actually been an eerie coincidence
The big "Hail Hydra" HydraCap reveal happened in late 2016, so assuming this episode was written around the start of 2017 (since they probably finished up Ultron Revolution in 2016), I imagine they were likely nodding to that rather then Secret Empire as a whole.

Otherwise, OK episode. But it's becoming apparent that Assemble has the weakest writing from the three current Marvel cartoons.
I'd definitely say it feels like the least serialized of the three Marvel cartoons at the moment.

Dudley

Staff member
Ugh, the Disney XD app on my Android tablet keeps crashing. I wonder if Apple devices are the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I liked how Dimension Z looked, with that Noir-like style. I was a little surprised Ant-Man alone had to rescue three other Avengers (one of them being Captain America), but the story played out pretty well. Zola's ultimate plan for Cap was a nice nod to the comics, though it probably won't be as controversial here as in the comics. Besides, keeping in line with most of the other episodes on the show, it was completely undone by the end of the story. :p

Medinnus

Staff member
This episode was badly staged and badly written. We're just supposed to take at face value another dimension, where there are humans, and Arnim Zola rules? What, and just pops around to our dimension for tea and vacations because his 1930's era playground doesn't have Disneyland?

Oh wait - given Disney's relationship with Marvel, it probably has a Steampunk version of Disneyland.

Oh understand they stole - oh wait, "leveraged" as an "homage" - this from the CA comics bt Rick Remem...something, never could remember how his last name goes. Someone needs to teach them to steal good stuff from MU616, and not stuff like "Capwolf".

If I had a world to shape (no relation to a guest appearance by the Shaper of Worlds, they could have used to explain away a bunch of things), I'm not sure I'sd bother with the real world. How big is the world in Dimension Z?

I can go on for hours. This was badly done in the comics and done no better in the animated world. Shame.

Anyway, it wasn't all bad. There were some things I enjoyed:

* Hawkeye in love with the film noir setting.

Things I didn't like:
* The theft of the Kirk/Gorn makeshift gunpowder weapon - "Diamonds, for some reason..."
* Arnim Zola was better able to clone things; why use Rogers when you can clone and freeze the original?

Frontier

Staff member
Oh understand they stole - oh wait, "leveraged" as an "homage" - this from the CA comics bt Rick Remem...something, never could remember how his last name goes. Someone needs to teach them to steal good stuff from MU616, and not stuff like "Capwolf".
I believe you're looking for Rick Remender ;).

I'll be honest, when Zola started messing with Cap my first thought was he was going to turn him into Capwolf :p.

Medinnus

Staff member
I believe you're looking for Rick Remender ;).

Yes, that's the one. I can never spell his name (or even remember it), no disrespect intended. But he was the awful writer who finally broke the camel's back and ended my buying Captain America.

I'll be honest, when Zola started messing with Cap my first thought was he was going to turn him into Capwolf :p.

What an evil, horrible thought. Maybe they'll do it as a Halloween Special /cringe

Barbossa

Can't decide who I find the most annoying out of the new Avengers, Cap Marvel, Antman or Ms Marvel. Zola stepping on Antman felt good. Did not think I would find a character voiced by Josh Keaton annoying... ....Looking forward to them getting rid of the new Avengers, but Black Panther should stay, he is awesome.

Frontier

Staff member
Can't decide who I find the most annoying out of the new Avengers, Cap Marvel, Antman or Ms Marvel. Zola stepping on Antman felt good. Did not think I would find a character voiced by Josh Keaton annoying... ....Looking forward to them getting rid of the new Avengers, but Black Panther should stay, he is awesome.
Honestly, for what it's worth, I'd say Captain Marvel has been a lot less obnoxious this season then she was in Ultron Revolution.

Barbossa

Her whole tough girl thing is just so forced,its almost parody levels. It just feels like a place holder that could easily change depending on how Brie Larson portrays the character in her movie.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
A few more random thoughts:
- I wonder if Falcon's new look is permanent. The promotional art for the season still had the old design, and that should only appear in three episodes (the season premiere and the Halloween episode that who knows when it takes place). I don't mind if he has the new design but it feels like a random thing to change at this point. Hopefully the next few installments of the Marvel Cinematic Universe won't give him a new costume or something, just to make the show outdated again. :p

- A "Capwolf" story would have fit in nicely with the recent Spidey Halloween episode featuring Man-Wolf. It might be something for the crew to consider doing next season. It wasn't that great of a story in the comics, but I think it could work as a fun little stand-alone adventure.

- For Captain Marvel, I agree they could write her differently after the live-action movie comes out. In her case, it probably wouldn't feel like that big of a change like it was between teenage Falcon and the movie version. As for the most annoying New Avenger, at least they didn't get Red Hulk to join.

Frontier

Staff member
A few more random thoughts:
- I wonder if Falcon's new look is permanent. The promotional art for the season still had the old design, and that should only appear in three episodes (the season premiere and the Halloween episode that who knows when it takes place). I don't mind if he has the new design but it feels like a random thing to change at this point. Hopefully the next few installments of the Marvel Cinematic Universe won't give him a new costume or something, just to make the show outdated again. :p
I can't see why they'd go through so much hullaballo to give Falcon his movie design and talk about how "different" he was just to go back on all those changes, but then again I also can't see why it took this long for them to actually make him more like the movie version :sweat:.

- A "Capwolf" story would have fit in nicely with the recent Spidey Halloween episode featuring Man-Wolf. It might be something for the crew to consider doing next season. It wasn't that great of a story in the comics, but I think it could works as a fun little stand-alone adventure.
I would've liked to have seen Earth's Mightiest Heroes do Capwolf...

- For Captain Marvel, I agree they could write her differently after the live-action movie comes out. In her case, it probably wouldn't feel like that big of a change like it was between teenage Falcon and the movie version. As for the most annoying New Avenger, at least they didn't get Red Hulk to join.
Whatever the movies do, I don't think they'll need to reboot Carol to the same extent they did with Ant-Man or, as in this episode, Falcon :ack:.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "Dimension Z"

They made Cap a Nazi without actually making Cap a Nazi.

"No, WE did it!" Kill. Me. NOW.

Mark Hamill had some fun with Armin Zola's TV voices at the end.

So-so. **1/2.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts