Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "Beyond" Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this "Avengers: Secret Wars" episode!

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Tune in for Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars! Disney XD will premiere four new episodes, back-to-back, today starting at 8:00AM ET!

lVaQ7SR.png
Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "Beyond"
Episode Debut - January 14th, 2018
Directed by - Tim Eldred
Written by - Geoffrey Thorne

After the Avengers are transported to a strange new world, Captain America and Black Widow find Iron Man and battle the mysterious Moon Knight.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Side-Note: If possible, please try and discuss the events of each new episode airing today in its respective talkback thread.

Related Discussion:
Spider-Man: TAS "Secret Wars, Parts 1 - 3" Talkback (Spoilers)

Ultra8

Now all I/You can do
For once I'm actually impressed with how they started this one. There's an air of mystery, the Avengers are way outside their league, the Beyonder is both amusing and threatening, Moon Knight is riding a freaking Sphinx and most importantly... Marsha.

Oh yeah and Tony's there.

The fight choreography could have been a lot better but doesn't take away from the episode. I'm actually looking forward to seeing the rest of the episodes in this story arc but I'm also little disappointed knowing they probably rushed things to make it all fit in 4 episodes.

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
OK episode.

One of the things that stood out is that they seem to have nerfed the Beyonder; nothing wrong with that in itself, since making him as powerful as in the comics might be a bit much, but it seems he uses technology now? So does he still have powers of his own? They were pretty vague about that.

I am glad that Iron Man is back, though.

Dudley

Staff member
So that’s how they reunite with Tony. Figures it would be now since they talked about how much they missed him.
Did Beyonder always look like a hipster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Marvel's Avengers: Secret Wars "Beyond"

I love Cap being outraged at Tony's recklessness and Widow realizing they all had been missing this.

And Marsha is a transforming robot truck. Because of course she is.

Was I the only way delighted with the way Hulk's face lit up at the end and he excitedly said "Tony!"? There is a reason Hulk is my favorite character.

Good first part. ****.

Ultra8

Now all I/You can do
image.jpeg image.jpeg
So that’s how they reunite with Tony. Figures it would be now since they talked about how much they missed him.
Did Beyonder always look like a hipster?

He's usually depicted as either David Hasselhof lookalike or 80's hair band member.

Frontier

Staff member
Can I just point out that we're 3/4 into this season and it's only now that we're actually getting into the actual Secret Wars/Battleworld storyline that this season is named after? Talk about keeping your fans waiting :rolleyes2:.

It's kind of amusing watching how the show copes with having so many heroes in one show. I mean, you see it in stuff like Justice League Unlimited and Justice League Action with it's large ensembles, but ti's still kind of funny watching the show cope with the fact that they have too many heroes to afford all their VA's so we have quite a few heroes who just stand around and make facial expressions :p.

I do wonder if we'll ever get an episode where all Avengers have dialogue...

So far this looks like it's going to be a pretty accurate adaption of both major Secret Wars storylines, with the Beyonder conducting an experiment with heroes and villains from across the Marvel Universe using a patchwork planet made up of different areas and dimensions. Though I'm curious to see how much detail they'll go into with the exact goals of the Beyonder's experiment :ack:.

The show seems to be going with the Beyonder as a petulant but eccentric cosmic god, which isn't far off from the comics, though I'm not quite sold on Steven Webber's performance yet. Obviously he's no Tony Jay, but the modulation in his voice is also kind of distracting o_O.

Maybe it's my nostalgia talking, but it's kind of weird watching a Secret Wars storyline without Spider-Man or any of the X-Men/FF :(...

It was actually kind of nice to see Avengers Tower again, especially since it means we're leaving Avengers Compound behind (again) :proud:.

I love how the Avengers only start to show signs of missing Tony in the same episode he comes back, when nobody even mentioned him once the main team got brought back only a few episodes ago. The Avengers never even made any real effort to rescue him again, they just lucked out that The Beyonder grabbed his pocket dimension when he was creating Battleworld :sweat:.

While we've seen Iron Man again in the one-off holiday episodes this season, it was nice to see Tony truly back-in-the-flesh and reunited with the team. I loved how Cap gave him a big bear hug :anime:.

I also loved how they acknowledged Tony's appeal in his crazy schemes and blowing off his team when he feels he needs too, and seeing Cap call him out on it. Classic Tony ;).

This was also probably one of Iron Man's better showings in action in a while, with him blasting mummies to pieces and even punching out a sphinx :D.

It was pretty cool to see Moon Knight again, even if he didn't get any lines until the very end of the episode, though he did get a pretty great showing against both Cap and Widow and was portrayed as a pretty dangerous fighter in his own right :cool:.

I guess it was nice to see Cap getting a new suit that's not as busy as his MCU costume, though it's a little too bulky for my tastes :shrug:.

Of course Tony would take a normal truck and turn it into a Transforming Mecha suit :D.

I was happy to see them give an accurate depiction of Egyptia with the mind-controlled subjects and the zombies :evil:.

I hope we get to see Moon Knight again at some point, especially since I like what I hear from Gideon Emery's performance so far and he was pretty awesome here :).

Last edited:

Roxas_Sora

I haven't see all the episodes yet, but I want to share some important points from the parts I saw.

1º) Guys, last time I checked, Ultron was stored in Iron Man's arc reactor; so to stop him, they had to leave Iron Man in a anot tech realm. But now, his arc reactor is back, so where the shell is Ultron? Shouldn't he be taking over Iron Man's body? Or maybe the Beyonder ripped him out of Iron Man? Any explanation, please?

2º) Funny thing with Marsha. You know?, it reminds me the flying-car-armour that Stark created right after the Secret War was over. Of course, less techie.

3º) I wonder what the webs was the Blue Scarab on Moon Knight that was controlling him.

4º) Loki joining the Avengers, why am I not surprised? Considering all the strange things we have seen, this not so weird.

5º) This Beyonder is a real jerk, very different to the one that Spider-Man met back in the 90s. He has unnnerved, but at least he was doing something by a good cause. This one?, he's just an imbecile like the Grandmaster in "Ultimate Spider-Man".

6º) The part that interests me the most is Battleworld's map. I only wish this arc was at the beginning of the season; that way, all territories could be explored. For now we have Egyptia, K'un-Lun and No Tech Land. However, there are a few clues in the map that could reveal the nature of those territories:
+ The East zone seems to have big siniter bug eyes; so I'm going to say that's a reference to Venom, and that zone must be dominated by symbiotes. (Maybe it's like "Carnage Island" from the last season of "Ultimate Spider-Man").
+ There's a water zone with a group of islands forming what appears to be a Skull; so I'm going to say THIS is the zone of the Pirate Red Skull.
+ Next to that Red Skull's sea, there's a peninsula that appears to be a tentacle. So I'm going to bet that zone has something to do with Hydra.

7º) I want to be very alert about the rest of the territories of BattleWorld. In a previous Comic Con, there was revealed a list of places that turned really interedted:
+ Kun-Lun (Confirmed).
+ Weirdworld.
+ Wastelands.
+ Modokopolis.
+ Egyptia (Confirmed).
+ Vibranium Coast (Confirmed).
+ Camelot.
+ Vampire Federation. (I guess we will see it).
+ Hydra Empire. (Cap's worst nightmare, maybe a Secret Empire's reference).
+ Inhuman Nation.
+ Ruins of Olympus. (Ares was confirmed to return, so I guess we will explore it).
+ The United States of Crime.
+ Noir Land. (I want to see this one, especially if it really gives Spider-Man Noir).
+ New Quack City. (We could see Howard the Duck and Spider-Ham?).
+ Spider-Island 2099 (I really want an episode with this one, especially if we can see the Web Warriors again!!!!).
+ Lost to the Symbiotes (This must be the are with giant Venom's eyes).
+ There Be Frost Giants Here.

Well, any opinions?

Dudley

Staff member
Huh, I was always wondering what Secret Wars was referring to.

Ya know...I just realized the Beyonder would be a great villain for the MCU. Him and Kang the Conquerer.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
It's nice to see Tony again on the show (well, not counting those two random out of continuity episodes :p). The explanation for his return was decent enough. I kind of had a feeling the Avengers wouldn't be able to bring him back themselves.

I liked this take Moon Knight. It was more serious than the one from Ultimate Spider-Man (which I also liked). But this seemed to fit in better with the atmosphere of the episode. I suspect we haven't seen the last of him.

The action scenes were pretty great - those mummies were neat antagonists but Moon Knight was a lot more impressive. And I also liked seeing Marsha in action.

All in all, a pretty good start to the Secret Wars arc. The Beyonder is fine though I am hoping they'll explain more about him in the next episodes.

General Mike

6º) The part that interests me the most is Battleworld's map. I only wish this arc was at the beginning of the season; that way, all territories could be explored. For now we have Egyptia, K'un-Lun and No Tech Land. However, there are a few clues in the map that could reveal the nature of those territories:
+ The East zone seems to have big siniter bug eyes; so I'm going to say that's a reference to Venom, and that zone must be dominated by symbiotes. (Maybe it's like "Carnage Island" from the last season of "Ultimate Spider-Man").
+ There's a water zone with a group of islands forming what appears to be a Skull; so I'm going to say THIS is the zone of the Pirate Red Skull.
+ Next to that Red Skull's sea, there's a peninsula that appears to be a tentacle. So I'm going to bet that zone has something to do with Hydra.

7º) I want to be very alert about the rest of the territories of BattleWorld. In a previous Comic Con, there was revealed a list of places that turned really interedted:
+ Kun-Lun (Confirmed).
+ Weirdworld.
+ Wastelands.
+ Modokopolis.
+ Egyptia (Confirmed).
+ Vibranium Coast (Confirmed).
+ Camelot.
+ Vampire Federation. (I guess we will see it).
+ Hydra Empire. (Cap's worst nightmare, maybe a Secret Empire's reference).
+ Inhuman Nation.
+ Ruins of Olympus. (Ares was confirmed to return, so I guess we will explore it).
+ The United States of Crime.
+ Noir Land. (I want to see this one, especially if it really gives Spider-Man Noir).
+ New Quack City. (We could see Howard the Duck and Spider-Ham?).
+ Spider-Island 2099 (I really want an episode with this one, especially if we can see the Web Warriors again!!!!).
+ Lost to the Symbiotes (This must be the are with giant Venom's eyes).
+ There Be Frost Giants Here.

Well, any opinions?

sounds a lot like the Kang storyline that they did in the new Lego Marvel video game. I think it had 13 worlds, a lot which matchup to the worlds you've listed
Manhattan
Manhattan Noir
Nueva York (2099)
Hydra Empire
Old West
Medieval England
Wakanda
Attilan
Sakaar
Hala
Xandar
Lemuria
Ancient Egypt
Knowhere

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
Kind of an underwhelming appearance for one of my favorite characters in Moon Knight, and he only had a handful of lines. At least in Ultimate Spider-Man he was more involved in the episode's story.

All you people crazy about animation errors, in the final scene, one frame we see Thor looking at Loki coming in without his helmet. And then in the very last shot, helmet is suddenly back on.

Frontier

Staff member
Kind of an underwhelming appearance for one of my favorite characters in Moon Knight, and he only had a handful of lines. At least in Ultimate Spider-Man he was more involved in the episode's story.
I think he had more of a character in his Ultimate Spider-Man appearance, if only a bit of a one-note one, though I think he did get a better showing in action this episode then he did in his appearance in USM.

Hopefully Moon Knight will make a return and get to do more later in the story ;).
All you people crazy about animation errors, in the final scene, one frame we see Thor looking at Loki coming in without his helmet. And then in the very last shot, helmet is suddenly back on.
So I wasn't the only one who noticed that :p.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts