"Marvel's Avengers Assemble" News & Discussion Thread, Part 9 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt.Traphouse

Sexiest Thing Since Sex
Seems Kraven spends his unemployment checks on fast food after his falling out with Norman.

All kidding aside, the animation looks great and I'm loving the villain variety already.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I really like this Black Panther redesign. I wish Kraven looked like more of a threat but I guess that doesn't matter since he really isn't much of a threat here. I look forward to seeing what they do with the rest of the world for this season.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

TheLemsterPju

It doesn't have to be the same universe/Earth/continuity as MSM. Marvel always has a character design consistency, and sometimes shared character traits, through out their media, even if they're not in the same continuity.

Am I the only individual not looking at the MAU's continuity at face value? I feel like I'm in the same boat as the first guy who had to get people to pay attention to Star Trek's continuity and find solutions after it became a huge franchise.

Part of the fun for me as a fan is finding those solutions.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
At this point, United They Stand had better continuity with all the other 90's Marvel cartoons then Assemble.

TheLemsterPju

United They Stand had 13 episodes with zero references to any other show.

Assemble will have 130 episodes by the end of this upcoming season and has made numerous connections to most of the other current cartoons.

Frontier

Staff member
It doesn't have to be the same universe/Earth/continuity as MSM. Marvel always has a character design consistency, and sometimes shared character traits, through their media, even if they're not in the same continuity.

Am I the only individual not looking at the MAU's continuity at face value? I feel like I'm in the same boat as the first guy who had to get people to pay attention to Star Trek's continuity after it became a huge franchise.
I agree about Marvel's character design/characteristic consistency. Whatever the "current" version of a character is, at least from their "home" show, they're usually reflected in the other cartoons.

WebMasterSage

Obey the Pecking Order.
The art style looks like it's in-between the old Avengers Assemble art style and Marvel's Spider-Man. I'm not sure how I feel about it other then that it looks at least...somewhat solid :confused:?

Oh hey, the Marvel's Spider-Man version of Kraven! Only he looks really out-of-shape :sweat:.

Y'know, the Marvel's Spider-Man version of Kraven was much more physically capable then this version seems to be. He certainly didn't rely so much on his drones o_O.

Black Panther continues to dominate :p.

And here's a promo image featuring who I assume are Killmonger and White Wolf:

MAA_S5_key-art_comp_r3-1-720x1049.jpg
Even for designs that supposed to tie in Marvel's Spider-Man, Captain American looks like he lost Muscle. Oh & See for yourself who's now voicing Shuri.

I feel the Panther's Quest season should've been its own show as a spin-off.

Frontier

Staff member
Even for designs that supposed to tie in Marvel's Spider-Man, Captain American looks like he lost Muscle. Oh & See for yourself who's now voicing Shuri.

Iron Man and Cap look out-of-place with all the Black Panther characters :p.

We've known Daisy Lightfoot was voicing Shuri since the last Comic-Con, I believe :).

Although speaking of VA's from the Lego special, I'm curious if Keston John will voice Killmonger in this...

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Yeah I think it's an exaggeration saying United They Stand was more in-line with the 90s shows than Assemble is with the other shows. The latter is just trying to match any new version of the characters showing up in the other cartoons (despite those being prequels, sequels, apparently completely separate continuities or whatever else). It's not always successful, but United They Stand never even tried this much.

And yes, Lightfoot voicing Shuri was announced at Comic-Con. I don't think there will be any re-casts other than her, but we should find out more this weekend.

Freddy

At this point, United They Stand had better continuity with all the other 90's Marvel cartoons then Assemble.

Eh, I would say that AA's continuity is pretty comparable to 90's shows continuity as a whole. I know that people love to remember those shows as a big happy shared universe, and there's nothing wrong with viewing them as such, but they really don't form a coherent continuity together and I doubt that they were intended to be in the same continuity by their respective creators. At best, Fantastic Four, Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk were definitely in the same continuity, since not only did Hulk make an appearence in the other two shows, but characters from those shows later appeared in Hulk's show and made direct references to their previous crossovers. I guess you could also consider Spider-Man TAS and X-Men TAS the same continuity, since the X-Men who appeared on Spider-Man were clearly meant to be the same versions of the characters from X-Men TAS, even if the crossover was never referenced on their own show.

Otherwise, even if there were some crossovers with actors reprising their roles, there were too many contradictions for any kind of shared universe make sense (for example, X-Men had a fictional president, while Fantastic Four and Iron Man had Bill Clinton).

It doesn't have to be the same universe/Earth/continuity as MSM. Marvel always has a character design consistency, and sometimes shared character traits, through out their media, even if they're not in the same continuity.

Am I the only individual not looking at the MAU's continuity at face value? I feel like I'm in the same boat as the first guy who had to get people to pay attention to Star Trek's continuity and find solutions after it became a huge franchise.

Part of the fun for me as a fan is finding those solutions.

I can admire a fan devoting their brainpower to sort out continuity flaws/plot holes in a fictional universe they enjoy and I have done my share of it with my favorite franchises, but MSM-Kraven appearing in Assemble is kinda a small offender at this point. Don't forget that Guardians of the Galaxy, which was definetly meant to be in the same continuity with AA/HAOS/USM and even had crossovers with all three shows, suddenly had a crossover with the new Spider-Man without even a hand-wave for how that's supposed to make sense.

To use your Star Trek - analogy, this is like if during season 2 the crew of Discovery time-travelled to the Eugenics Wars and met young Khan, who was played by a Ricardo Montalban look-a-like, but in later season he was suddenly played by a Benedict Cumberbatch look-a-like.

Making fan-theories is fun, but after a certain point when the people making the shows don't care, it can become more trouble than it is worth.

thisguyisnotcool

Yeah I'm not even sure what's the point of putting in Avengers and why this isn't just a BP show? Marvel really hates having one hero per show.

Frontier

Staff member
I can admire a fan devoting their brainpower to sort out continuity flaws/plot holes in a fictional universe they enjoy and I have done my share of it with my favorite franchises, but MSM-Kraven appearing in Assemble is kinda a small offender at this point. Don't forget that Guardians of the Galaxy, which was definetly meant to be in the same continuity with AA/HAOS/USM and even had crossovers with all three shows, suddenly had a crossover with the new Spider-Man without even a hand-wave for how that's supposed to make sense.
Although to be fair, the version of the Guardians from that show never actually met the USM version of Spider-Man...although there is still more continuity issues then you can shake a web at :p.
Yeah I'm not even sure what's the point of putting in Avengers and why this isn't just a BP show? Marvel really hates having one hero per show.
Not to mention I think anyone coming from the Black Panther movie to this cartoon is expecting more Black Panther characters and less Avengers :sweat:.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
The way I've worked out the continuity is that all of the shows are in their own continuity. They sometimes have guest appearances from characters from other shows, but the only continuity the appearance actually "counts" for is the show the crossover occurs during. And if you view it this way, it sort of works. I can't say if Max Modell or any other Spider-Man concepts unique to Marvel's Spider-Man with show up on Black Panther's Quest, but as long as they don't, it works because the Avengers cartoon is the only Marvel show still on the air that has crossed over with Ultimate Spider-Man. The Guardians have only had Marvel's Spider-Man on their show. And Marvel's Spider-Man has only crossed over with the Avengers on that show itself. I view it as everything and nothing being canon at once, and I have yet to see that idea contradicted.

Freddy

Although to be fair, the version of the Guardians from that show never actually met the USM version of Spider-Man...although there is still more continuity issues then you can shake a web at :p.

Well, to be more specific, they kinda did through some really complicated "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" - type of hoops.

- First, more comic-accurate Guardins have a team-up with Ultimate Spider-Man. These same Guardians go on later to have team-ups with Avengers Assemble and Agents of SMASH.

- Later, MCU-inspired Guardians, who would later star on their own show, make an appearence on AA. Despite their new character designs, voice actors and, in Star-Lords case, personalities, we are probably meant to take them as the same Guardians who we had before.

- Guardians later have numerous team-ups with AA's versions of Avengers on their own show.

Frontier

Staff member
Well, to be more specific, they kinda did through some really complicated "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon" - type of hoops.

- First, more comic-accurate Guardins have a team-up with Ultimate Spider-Man. These same Guardians go on later to have team-ups with Avengers Assemble and Agents of SMASH.

- Later, MCU-inspired Guardians, who would later star on their own show, make an appearence on AA. Despite their new character designs, voice actors and, in Star-Lords case, personalities, we are probably meant to take them as the same Guardians who we had before.

- Guardians later have numerous team-ups with AA's versions of Avengers on their own show.
See, it's that appearance by the Guardians in season 2 of AA that really messes things up because we then have the "first meeting" between the Guardians and the Avengers at a seemingly later point for the Avengers in season 2 of Guardians :sweat:.

ChessKing

Is that the white wolf in the poster??
If it is it looks like there going with the comic version because the movie White Wolf is actually Bucky.

Frontier

Staff member
Avengers: Black Panther's Quest will debut September 23rd on Disney XD.

Other news from the SDCC panel:

Lane opened the panel by thanking the people who made the presentation possible. He welcomed Radomski, Wilcox, James Mathis III (T’Challa) and Daisy Lightfoot (Shuri) onto the stage, then rolled a clip from the upcoming Marvel’s Avengers: Black Panther’s Quest.

The clip found T’Challa fighting Tiger Shark, who had come into possession of a magical conch shell — one that may look familiar to fans of the comics. He went toe-to-toe with Tiger Shark until the other Avengers, including Captain America and Black Widow, showed up to help.

Captain America, Black Widow, and Iron Man team up with Black Panther

Thor and Captain Marvel also makes an appearance where they are fighting outside

Ms. Marvel is there with her embiggened hands

Having Black Panther's sister helps flesh out the character

They have each other's backs

We will learn a lot about the history of Wakanda this season

The show has a James Bond feel - with lots of gadgets

“We saw T’Challa almost exclusively with the Avengers,” Mathis shared. He explained that the addition of Shuri will give T’Challa a new dynamic to play off of.

“He is extremely frustrating some times,” Lightfoot said. “He is the king, but she brings him down to size times… you see the value she has to him as a man and as a king.”

Another clip showed this dynamic in action, as Tiger Shark pursued Shuri. Though Shuri wanted to fight back, T’Challa told her to stand down and developed a plan with her. The two bantered together until they trapped Tiger Shark.

“This season, an old foe… returned and actually infiltrated Wakanda,” Wilcox explained. He added that Black Panther will have to take some actions that the Avengers may not necessarily agree with. “We’ll see a lot of what goes on inside Wakanda… in fact, we dedicate an entire episode of previous Black Panthers.”

The Shadow Council will appear in the series, which will feature villains Killmonger (Keston John), M’Baku, Klau (Trevor Paul), Zemo, Madame Mask (Wynn Everett) and Tiger Shark (Matt Mercer). Scott Porter will play White Wolf. Stan Lee and Mark Hamill will also lend their voices to the show, though their characters were not revealed.

An Avenger dies this season

Spider-Man will be appearing on Black Panther Quest this season

The Black Panther voice cast got the scripts before Black Panther the movie came out

Black Panther’s Quest will debut September 23rd on Disney XD.

Killmonger will be different from the movie in the cartoon. He's the ambassador of Atlantis.

Atlantis is the Soviet Union villains needed for this Black Panther type show.

The orchid is not used in the show, but there will be something similar to it's role.

Hawkeye will have a juicy story this season, a lot of emotional range

Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Some more comments from Comic-Con, via Newsarama and Comic Book Resources. Note some of the news might overlap; I just copied the comments from each site.

We are seeing an extended clip from Black Panther's cartoon
We are seeing a clip of the siblings
They are teaming up as they fight Tiger Shark
Shuri is in the battlefield while Black Panther is behind the computers
Vibranium was important in Spider-Man, Black Panther needs vibranium as a hint to their crossover
It's not difficult for Daisy to play Shuri, she's learns a lot from the character
“What I love about Ms. Marvel, what I love about Kamala Kahn, is that she’s shaping young minds that haven’t been affected by propoganda yet,” Khavari shared. “Kamala means the world to me because she’s helping shape the mind of those kids who have not yet been corrupted by hate yet and see a Muslim character and goes, ‘Oh cool!'”
Asked if M’Baku will appear in Black Panther’s Quest, Wilcox said, “Yes, he will be a villain — for this season.” He emphasized the last part, hinting that could change.
Another fan wanted to know if Black Panther could meet Storm. “Not yet!” Lane answered with a laugh.
Black Panther’s Quest will send Killmonger to Atlantis. According to Wilcox, the show will “craft our own version” of the Marvel setting.
Asked about Hawkeye’s involvement this season, he said, “Troy and Hawkeye have a huge, huge role to play this season.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts