"Marvel's Avengers Assemble" News & Discussion Thread, Part 9 (Spoilers)

Latest News

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,414 46
Sherman Oaks CA
The character designs for next season featured the Avengers Trinity plus Black Widow, so I imagine they might probably be the main Avengers presence alongside Black Panther.

It doesn't seem like many of the New Avengers will be showing up outside T'Challa and Ms. Marvel.

But I think it's probably a safe bet that Hawkeye will be in it, since Geoffrey Thorne is a big fan of the character ;).

Capt.Traphouse

Sexiest Thing Since Sex
May 26, 2015
Ratings
846 2
NY
Anyone else underwhelmed by that seasons' ending? It wasn't fun or interesting. Season 2 had cool battles with Squadron Supreme, Ultron and Thanos and his Black Order. Season 3 had a really cool Zemo, Ultron and a noticeable animation bump.

The Beyonder's team was ineffective and the stakes just weren't there. Captain America beat them himself. The Beyonder was so try hard techy that he didn't feel cosmic or that powerful. Loki's subplot was fun but his turning on the Avengers could have been so much more.

The team's personalities took a dive too. Hulk and Banner became jerks, Captain Marvel became more unlikeable and no one seems to care that Tony is back.

Oh well.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,414 46
Sherman Oaks CA
I thought Secret Wars was fun but I definitely had my issues with it and, looking back, I'm not sure if it was as strong as Ultron Revolution.

I mean, one thing I feel was a problem was how so much felt underdeveloped.

Like, they made it a big deal that we were getting a new team of Avengers but we only really had that team for like 6 episodes before the plot shifted to bringing back the original Avengers even though it felt like up until that point none of the New Avengers really cared about the old Avengers being gone past the premiere (kinda like how they treated Tony until he came back).

It never felt like the new team had much time to actually really develop into a team, especially when most episodes were spent focusing less on them growing as a team and more on team-ups between two members at a time. This was a similar issue when the two teams combined and we had way too many Avengers to adequately focus on as a group.

It almost seems like the show developed from a team show into a Justice Leageu Action-esque show where we get random Avenger team-ups in crazy situations. Which is fine for what it is, but not really what I come for when I watch this show.

Say what you will about the original Avengers team, but at least we had 3 seasons to watch that team develop (relatively speaking) and form a real team dynamic. I don't think we ever really got that with the New Avengers.

I also just wish we could've gotten more actual character development or insight into the New Avengers as a whole. I still feel like I don't have an exact grasp of Wasp's character on this show beyond "movie Wasp" and I can't say I quite know what's driving most of the team when it comes to being heroes. I know this show doesn't care about the team's personal lives or life outside being Superheroes, but it would've been nice to see more of who these people are beyond their costumes.

I also think there was a lot of points that the show could've spent more time on, like the original Avengers learning to gel with the new team, the original Avengers reaction to what happened to Falcon, or Iron Man acclimating back onto the team. I'm not asking that the show become constant drama but I feel like this is the kind of stuff that should be addressed.

Another thing that felt underdeveloped was Jane Foster. Obviously she was brought in with the intention of making her into Thor like she is in the comics, but she faded in and out of the plot so consistently that it was hard to really get invested in her character. On-top of that it didn't feel like they had much of an idea for who their "Jane" is, since at times she felt more like Sharon Carter using Jane Foster's name then she did Jane Foster. And then when she finally becomes Thor they don't even capture that very well.

I also feel like it was kind of silly that an Avengers series called Avengers: Secret Wars only got to the actual Secret Wars storyline 3/4 into its run. We never really got to see as much of Battleworld and how the Avengers adapt to it as much as I feel we could have. And Beyonder ultimately felt more like a souped-up Iron Man villain then the cosmic god he is in the comics.

I do like that we got a nice variety and mix of villains this season, from season 1 and 2 villains applied in new ways, to newer villains gaining a little more prominence. I also like that we got a lot more female villains this season, especially compared to usual on a Marvel cartoon, even if it was surprising that we never got an appearance from Hela around Ragnarok. Although maybe I should just appreciate that Marvel didn't try to force any synergy on that front...

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
7,918 6
A Valid Location
Just a couple of random comments...

- I agree "Secret Wars" wasn't as entertaining as "Ultron Revolution" or the latter episodes of Season 2.

- It felt kind of a missed opportunity they had both Hayley Atwell and Wynn Everett reprise their roles as Agent Carter and Madame Masque, respectively, and never featured them both in the same episode.

- Likewise, it would be a shame if they went through all that trouble to introduce Jane Foster and turn her into Thunderstrike if she won't appear again in the next season (which makes me believe the Avengers will still be around, like I mentioned before).

- Loki as the final villain of the season would have worked better if he wasn't already revealed to be the mastermind behind the Cabal a few episodes earlier.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,414 46
Sherman Oaks CA
- It felt kind of a missed opportunity they had both Hayley Atwell and Wynn Everett reprise their roles as Agent Carter and Madame Masque, respectively, and never featured them both in the same episode.
I thought it was a missed opportunity that they got Wynn Everett back and she still didn't get the chance to play the comic version of Madame Masque :sweat:.
- Likewise, it would be a shame if they went through all that trouble to introduce Jane Foster and turn her into Thunderstrike if she won't appear again in the next season (which makes me believe the Avengers will still be around, like I mentioned before).
I'll actually be kind of surprised if Jane as Thunderstrike turns up this season.
- Loki as the final villain of the season would have worked better if he wasn't already revealed to be the mastermind behind the Cabal a few episodes earlier.
I actually think the Loki reveal might have worked better if they'd saved the reveal of him being behind the Cabal for his turn in the final episode, so it really would've felt like Loki had been running a long con on The Avengers the entire time :evil:.

SweetShop209

Jan 5, 2014
Ratings
2,496 8
I'm a bit curious as to why (except for the occasional Sunday morning encores) that both this show and Guardians Of The Galaxy are currently not rerunning in regular rotation. Marvel's Spiderman has weekday reruns despite having been around for only 7 months. Heck, Ultimate SpiderMan currently has encores despite that showing ending on January 7, 2017 and the current cartoon taking its place. So why not AA and GOTG since they have more episodes?

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,414 46
Sherman Oaks CA
I'm a bit curious as to why (except for the occasional Sunday morning encores) that both this show and Guardians Of The Galaxy are currently not rerunning in regular rotation. Marvel's Spiderman has weekday reruns despite having been around for only 7 months. Heck, Ultimate SpiderMan currently has encores despite that showing ending on January 7, 2017 and the current cartoon taking its place. So why not AA and GOTG since they have more episodes?
I wonder why they don't run the Marvel cartoons concurrently anymore.

I remember back in the early days of USM/Assemble/SMASH where we'd have 2-3 Marvel cartoons running together but now they all seem to alternate as the one Marvel cartoon Disney XD airs.

Barbossa

Nov 8, 2009
Ratings
London
What exactly is the point of Jane Foster Thor again?. The normal Jane Foster seems a lot more useful. Its just Marvel patting themselves on the back and still trying to make She-Thor happen.

To say the character is incredibly forced is a huge understatement.

Barbossa

Nov 8, 2009
Ratings
London
Lol yup. I will take Mary Sue Jane over pointless and forced Thunderstrike. Odin just happen to have different Hammers at the ready for random worthy applicants.

Also is it just me or is the new Iron man VA kinda bad?

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,414 46
Sherman Oaks CA
What exactly is the point of Jane Foster Thor again?. The normal Jane Foster seems a lot more useful. Its just Marvel patting themselves on the back and still trying to make She-Thor happen.

Well, they acknowledged that Jane still had her science know-how in her Thor form, if only for a brief moment, so there's that, even if having a universe of two Thors feels kind of redundant (especially if we never see Jane again).

But I'm not surprised Assemble would basically do away with the closest thing it had a to a civilian character :sweat:.
Also is it just me or is the new Iron man VA kinda bad?
I definitely don't love Mick Wingert as Iron Man, and feel like he's kind of a step-down from Pasdar.

It feels less like he's playing Iron Man and more like he's doing a bad RDJ impersonation.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
Ratings
2,376 4
177A Bleecker Street
It sucked how much Loomis' performance got trashed as a RDJ imitation online back when that show was still on.

I think Wingert works better sometimes than others but he never really distracts me or anything.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Jan 19, 2004
Ratings
2,626 7
Framingham, MA
Pasdar grew on me over time, although maybe my issues with Wingert just give me a bit more appreciation for his tenure as Tony (that and his Iron Man performance was more then just an RDJ impression :sweat:).
The writing was probably the biggest reason Pasdar sucked. It's not like he was given anything but tired cliches, but a better actor would have found a way to make them work. The cheesy dialogue sounded cheesier than it should have because of that specific voice.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
7,918 6
A Valid Location
Disney XD channels in the UK and Ireland will turn into The Marvel Avengers Channel for a month, starting April 1st.
The campaign will feature exclusive Marvel Studios Avengers: Infinity War content as well as four new Marvel Funko animated shorts, premieres of Marvel Video Comic shorts, and Marvel Super Hero Adventures shorts. Fans will be able to find all episodes from Marvel's animated Avengers Assemble during the month as well.
I remember they had a similar promotion for Spider-Man last year.

spyke

Feb 11, 2002
Ratings
425 1 1
Visit site

Not to mention that the character is redundant (she's like the 7th Thor character) and makes Thor less unique in the MU and the animated series. They should have just had her become the new Valkyrie.

Most likely because the ratings of both AA and GOTG are low.

Mod Note: Double Post merged.

Last edited by a moderator: