"Marvel's Avengers Assemble" News & Discussion Thread, Part 9 (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,808 47
Sherman Oaks CA
Marvel uploaded an interview with Cort Lane and James Mathis III from Comic-Con. They start talking about Black Panther's Quest around the 4:30 minutes mark. Looks like the second half of the Season will feature T'Challa traveling through time and meeting other past Black Panthers. Also, Lane mentions Shuri will be appearing in another show they recorded recently.
We haven't had so much time travel since that four-parter in Hulk and the Agents of SMASH :p.

The only other show I could think of Shuri popping up in where they might still be recording for would be Marvel's Spider-Man (although I guess she could make an appearance in one of the Marvel Rising specials), especially since Daisy Lightfoot was already part of the show as Electro :).

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
8,285 6
A Valid Location
From Syfy Wire's coverage of the Marvel Animation Presents panel at NYCC:
A preview clip of an upcoming episode of the current Avengers Assemble season, Black Panther's Quest, featured a Hydra force invading Wakanda and facing off with T'Challa and Dora Milaje warriors. Down the line, "in Episode 13 the show takes a shocking turn," teased Marvel senior vice president of animation Cort Lane. "It will send him on a quest and he will meet some Black Panthers from other time periods." Guest stars for that arc will include Mark Hamill and Stan Lee.
James Mathis III, who voices the lead character, added that T'Challa "is searching for the king within and to do that he is conjuring up his ancestors. We dive into the family tree and we learn a lot about what makes him the man and the king that he is."

spyke

Feb 11, 2002
Ratings
422 1 1
Visit site
When did T'Challa defeat the Hulk? The only time I remember them being closely together was last season when they went up against the Executioner, but I don't remember them fighting in that episode :confused:.
According to Redjack, this season of AA (like the previous AA seasons) will be ignoring and retconning a lot of the continuity from the previous seasons. In a nutshell, this show is it's own thing in it's pwn continuity.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,808 47
Sherman Oaks CA
According to Redjack, this season of AA (like the previous AA seasons) will be ignoring and retconning a lot of the continuity from the previous seasons. In a nutshell, this show is it's own thing in it's pwn continuity.
I guess it woudn't be Avengers Assemble without loose continuity ;).
HYDRA Force means Zemo? Though Zemo rarely works with HYDRA in this show.
There have been so many different Hydra leaders on this show that it could virtually be anyone :p.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
8,285 6
A Valid Location
No surprise Mark Hamill would reprise his role as Arnim Zola. I think it was kind of hinted in the interview I posted on the last page Stan Lee would voice a General or something like that.

I do find it kind of funny how they're teasing the next batch of episodes when we're only 4-5 episodes into the Season, and it will probably be like another year or so before we get to see this time-travel arc.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,808 47
Sherman Oaks CA
No surprise Mark Hamill would reprise his role as Arnim Zola. I think it was kind of hinted in the interview I posted on the last page Stan Lee would voice a General or something like that.

I do find it kind of funny how they're teasing the next batch of episodes when we're only 4-5 episodes into the Season, and it will probably be like another year or so before we get to see this time-travel arc.
Kind of like how they keep teasing the Black Vortex arc for Guardians: Mission Breakout, but that's still a ways off :p.

Roxas_Sora

Apr 5, 2007
Ratings
321 1
South of Europe
Remake of "Days of Future SMASH". Well, I can't think of many popular "Black Panthers" from the past for T'Challa to meet. Let's see, some candidates could be:
- The original Black Panther (from 1,000,000 BC): It would be interesting for T'Challa to meet the origin of the legacy he carries.
- Bashenga: Another ancient Black Panther, although I don't know from which era. Maybe the ancient Egypt, and since we have time travel, Black Panther could face Kang the Conqueror.
- Azzuri: He was T'Challa's grampa in comics, but here he could be great-great-grandfather of something. I can't think into an appropiate era.
- T'Chaka: T'Challa's dad would be a great candidate. It would be suitable if the era was WWII and T'Challa meets the young Captain America.
- Azari?: It would be funny if T'Challa goes to the future and meets his "potential future son". Even more funny it would be if there's a sign that her mom could be Storm from the X-Men.

Well, it's obvious Spider-Man and Black Panther will face each other at some point. Mainly because African's culture could be used to make references to Anansi, the Spider-God thatis probably connected with Spider-Man somehow.

spyke

Feb 11, 2002
Ratings
422 1 1
Visit site
We haven't had so much time travel since that four-parter in Hulk and the Agents of SMASH :p.

The only other show I could think of Shuri popping up in where they might still be recording for would be Marvel's Spider-Man (although I guess she could make an appearance in one of the Marvel Rising specials), especially since Daisy Lightfoot was already part of the show as Electro :).
We also had a time travel stories in previous seasons of AA.

As for the other show (or should I say animated movie) that Shuri might be appearing in, my guess is MARVEL RISING.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
8,285 6
A Valid Location
Remake of "Days of Future SMASH". Well, I can't think of many popular "Black Panthers" from the past for T'Challa to meet. Let's see, some candidates could be:
I wouldn't really call this an actual remake of "Days of Future SMASH" since this seems more like T'Challa meeting his ancestors rather than Hulk chasing down a villain attempting to alter history. I'm not all that familiar with past Black Panthers but I imagine there are a lot they could use on the show, no matter how popular or obscure they are. Or they could always come up with some new characters just for the show.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's playing the same general as his cameo in Captain America: The First Avenger ;).
Yeah, I think that makes sense. Remember that line about "Agent Carter" from that video that announced Stan would have a guest role here.

We also had a time travel stories in previous seasons of AA.
Yeah, but the previous time travel stories weren't as long of an arc as this seems to be. It looks like this might take up the second half of the Season. I guess the closest thing they had before on the show was finding the Avengers before that "Secret Wars" part, but that was more like alternate dimensions than actual time periods.

EDIT:
Here are some more comments from Comic-Con, as reported by Comics Beat.
Mathis was asked about what it’s like to playing T’Challa and how he views the character to which Mathis replied, “T’Challa is the King of Kings. I appreciate his commitment to his family. He’s a very well-rounded man. He’s very sharp intellectually.” He also said that the character is important because he stands for so many ideals that are important for children to see such as honor and nobility.
They also noted that the series has many plans for the characters of Shuri, even beyond Black Panther’s Quest. Lane said he couldn’t give all the details of these plans but that fans could expect to see more of Shuri in the future.
The audience was then shown a clip from an upcoming episode of the show which featured Hydra and Crossbones trying to attack Wakanda and being met by the Dora Milaje.
They also revealed more about the upcoming season of the show noting that T’Challa will be going on a quest where he interacts with past Black Panther’s from other eras.
Mathis said that “he is searching for the king within and to do that he is conjuring up his ancestors.”
Next came the Q & A session. A couple of kids asked some great questions including if they were planning to make a Captain America cartoon. Lane said they had no plans for that but that Captain America would feature heavily in the Black Panther’s Quest story.
Lane said that, “Captain America is a pivotal character in terms of T’Challa’s destiny. After Shuri he’s really emotionally a character that you care so much about in Black Panther’s Quest and changes the narrative for T’Challa.”

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
Ratings
2,516 4
177A Bleecker Street
I do have an affinity for those Cap segments of the Marvel Super Heroes show. Other than that, Cap had a PSA from the 80s and the little test animation by Saban, and that was about it. Anyways, he always gets to shine in Avengers projects, and he's always managed to be used throughout the decades, so I guess it's not all that bad.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,808 47
Sherman Oaks CA
I wouldn't really call this an actual remake of "Days of Future SMASH" since this seems more like T'Challa meeting his ancestors rather than Hulk chasing down a villain attempting to alter history. I'm not all that familiar with past Black Panthers but I imagine there are a lot they could use on the show, no matter how popular or obscure they are. Or they could always come up with some new characters just for the show.
Off the top of my head there's T'Chaka (of course), T'Challa's grandfather Asuri, and Bashenga who I think was the first female Black Panther :cool:.

There was also a B.C.-era Black Panther recently introduced in the comics :).

I also wonder if that comment about Shuri going beyond Panther's Quest means she'll be popping up more in other cartoons...
Why has Marvel never been able to pull the trigger on a solo Cap animated project?
I wonder if we'll ever see another Avenger get the solo cartoon treatment to be honest.

I mean, T'Challa's kind of taken over Assemble to get his own show, but Marvel has recently had a very liberal view of what constitutes a solo cartoon :p.

But I guess prominence in the movies count. Captain Marvel and Dr. Strange might have better chances for shows then Iron Man, Cap, and Thor do after their trilogies have concluded.
Anyway, I hope he really does get to be featured as a strong character in Panther's Quest.
I'm actually kind of worried Cap having such a pivotal role might mean he's the Avenger death that was teased :ack:.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
Ratings
8,285 6
A Valid Location
For what it's worth, I always tend to like how Cap is handled in these ensemble shows. I think I mentioned this before, but some of my favorite episodes from Avengers Assemble usually are the ones that focus on him ("Saving Captain Rogers" is the first one to come to my mind, but I think there should be more examples). Even on Avengers: EMH with stuff like "Prisoner of War" and a few others. It's funny how I'm not even a huge fan of Cap but his episodes just seem more entertaining than the others.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Ratings
11,808 47
Sherman Oaks CA
For what it's worth, I always tend to like how Cap is handled in these ensemble shows. I think I mentioned this before, but some of my favorite episodes from Avengers Assemble usually are the ones that focus on him ("Saving Captain Rogers" is the first one to come to my mind, but I think there should be more examples). Even on Avengers: EMH with stuff like "Prisoner of War" and a few others. It's funny how I'm not even a huge fan of Cap but his episodes just seem more entertaining than the others.
That fight between Cap and SkrullCap in EMH is one of my favorite Cap moments of all time :).