"Marvel's Avengers Assemble" News & Discussion Thread, Part 10 (Spoilers)

TargetmasterJoe

So...think we’ll be hearing anything new for Marvel Animation at SDCC this year?

Anything new for this clump of mediocrity? I remember a YouTube video saying Marvel Animation was kind of in a dark place or something like that?

Frontier

Staff member
I’ve been thinking about the fourth season of Avengers Assemble, and maybe it would have been better if they saved rescuing Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Black Widow and Hawkeye for the end of the season. That way more development could be given to the new Avengers, an example of what I mean the episode where Hope teamed up with Carol, it felt like they were building some kind of dynamic (friendship maybe, also Vision never did get a chance to play ping pong, did he? ) between the two but then it was just dropped.

Jane Foster could have gotten her powers earlier too and joined the team or at least teamed up with them a couple of times. It just seemed that once the original Avengers were back it there were too many characters and the New Avengers kind of got shoved to the side a little.
I think my biggest issue with Secret Wars was how much felt underdeveloped, whether it was the New Avengers as a team, Jane Foster as Thor, or the actual Secret Wars storyline.

The original Avengers coming back just made it worse as there were obviously too many Avengers to adequately focus on for one show. Then it basically became a team-up cartoon.
So...think we’ll be hearing anything new for Marvel Animation at SDCC this year?
If not at SDCC, then D23 probably.

brodie999

I think my biggest issue with Secret Wars was how much felt underdeveloped, whether it was the New Avengers as a team, Jane Foster as Thor, or the actual Secret Wars storyline.

The original Avengers coming back just made it worse as there were obviously too many Avengers to adequately focus on for one show. Then it basically became a team-up cartoon.

If not at SDCC, then D23 probably.
I agree. Most of Ultron Revolution and Black Panther's Quest were pretty much undeveloped too.

Ultron Revolution should've had the new Avengers(Black Panther, Vision, Captain Marvel and Ant-Man) join the team in their respective episodes and had an episode with USM's Spider-Man or developed a bigger storyline with Ultron.
And BPQ would've had equal focus on the Avengers than just Black Panther himself and showed more of his life outside the Avengers and his sister Shuri. Not to mention, it shouldn't have been retconned to be in continuity with the new Spider-Man show. GOTG S3 was like that too. Both should've featured the Spider-Man from USM.

Roxas_Sora

Personally, I would have liked the Secret Wars' arc to last more episodes. After the info revealed in a SDCC 2017, I wanted the whole map of Battleworld explored. There was some places easy to identify, but I wanted to see all of them. Between them, we had these:

+ Spider-Island 2099: Potential crossover with Ultimate Spider-Man.
+ Lost to the Symbiotes.
+ Hydra Empire.
+ New Quack City.
+ Camelot.
+ Noir Land.
+ Inhuman Nation.

Frontier

Staff member
I definitely think they could have done more with the Secret Wars arc then they ended up doing (ironic when it's what the season was named after in the first place), especially when they set up those dimensions and the other heroes inhabiting them but then proceed to do nothing with them.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
It's kind of funny to think there might have been plans for more worlds to be visited in their "Secret Wars" arc, but they never produced more episodes. But it's only a theory, as I think an episode with Spidey would have been kind of a priority for them, if they wanted to have such an episode.

I think there something similar happened on the 90s Spidey cartoon, in their version of "Secret Wars". They apparently had plans for an X-Men episode, but was too expensive I believe to be produced. Instead they only used Storm in the arc.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
It's kind of funny to think there might have been plans for more worlds to be visited in their "Secret Wars" arc, but they never produced more episodes. But it's only a theory, as I think an episode with Spidey would have been kind of a priority for them, if they wanted to have such an episode.
It would've been interesting if Robbie Daymond's Spidey had first made his debut on Secret Wars since I always assumed that was the season where Marvel's Spider-Man was meant to be canon alongisde with (or as canon as the Marvel cartoons get).

I remember when there were theories they'd use the Secret Wars storyline to reboot the continuity to explain why Spider-Man is so different :p.

RoryWilliams

I think there something similar happened on the 90s Spidey cartoon, in their version of "Secret Wars". They apparently had plans for an X-Men episode, but was too expensive I believe to be produced. Instead they only used Storm in the arc.

Yeah. And that was apparently because Storm's actress actually lived in L.A., unlike the rest of the X-Men cast (including the replacement Storm), who were Canadians. It was apparently not cost effective to actually fly them over from Canada again, which makes me wonder why nobody thought about having them record remotely.

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
It's probably because, back then, it was more commonplace to have tv shows where all/most of the voice actors record together, unlike today, where its much less prominent. Most of the behind the scenes production for Avengers Assemble (whether in videos or tweets) shows all/most of the cast together, and the technology to record actors separately was probably not as common back then as it is today.

Frontier

Staff member
Yeah. And that was apparently because Storm's actress actually lived in L.A., unlike the rest of the X-Men cast (including the replacement Storm), who were Canadians. It was apparently not cost effective to actually fly them over from Canada again, which makes me wonder why nobody thought about having them record remotely.
I wonder if that wasn't as feasible back then as it is now :confused:.

brodie999

Yeah, but you ever wonder what would've happened if Fox Kids and Marvel actually paid the X-Men cast to record the Secret Wars episodes in Canada while the rest of the episodes recorded in America, thus allowing the rest of the X-Men to appear in the penultimate 3-part saga? They would've been useful in helping Spider-Man save the planet the Beyonder sent him to do.

Capt.Traphouse

Sexiest Thing Since Sex
Why were the Inhumans considered to be good when they had an entire slave class of people who were slaves from birth to death?

Frontier

Staff member
Why were the Inhumans considered to be good when they had an entire slave class of people who were slaves from birth to death?
In hindsight, the cartoons pushing the Inhumans so hard is pretty funny considering how much their media push petered out and the Inhumans movie never happened :p.

I'm kind of wondering if they'll do the same thing with the Eternals, in spite of there being hardly any cartoons to promote the Eternals with...

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
This is the precise reason I think the show was a failure. I couldn't root for slaveowners. It's a crappy concept, to be honest. I don't think any cartoon or TV show could make it good. That's probably why the MCU movies decided against it.

Frontier

Staff member
This is the precise reason I think the show was a failure. I couldn't root for slaveowners. It's a crappy concept, to be honest. I don't think any cartoon or TV show could make it good. That's probably why the MCU movies decided against it.
I think we were more supposed to root for the NuHumans who got stuck in the mess the Royal Family created. I mean, Black Bolt sold out his entire people to the American government...

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter

The show, more specifically season 5, got another nomination for the NAACP Image Awards in the children's category.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer

The show, more specifically season 5, got another nomination for the NAACP Image Awards in the children's category.
I think it is outrageous that there are so few black centered cartoons out there that one this appalling and crappy was nominated for an NAACP award. We need more diversity in animation. I refuse to believe this is the best we can do.

Frontier

Staff member
I think it is outrageous that there are so few black centered cartoons out there that one this appalling and crappy was nominated for an NAACP award. We need more diversity in animation. I refuse to believe this is the best we can do.
To be honest, I wish Black Panther's Quest could've been more black-centric, ditching The Avengers and focusing more on Wakanda like the movie did.

As is we only had, like, 3-5 named and relevant Wakandan's and one of them was white.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
To be honest, I wish Black Panther's Quest could've been more black-centric, ditching The Avengers and focusing more on Wakanda like the movie did.

As is we only had, like, 3-5 named and relevant Wakandan's and one of them was white.
The show had a LOT of problems.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
The Image Awards have generally always worked like. A lack of quality contenders can sometimes lead to some surprising or, arguably, undeserving nominees. They can also be the place to recognize work that might not be appreciated at some of the larger awards.

They tried to capitalize on the movie but failed to capture much of what made it the phenomenon that it was. Sadly, this was the common MO of Avengers Assemble.

That last season should have been either Avengers Assemble or a completely different show centered entirely around Black Panther and his world. I don't see why they couldn't have done two series; maybe a limited Black Panther series and a final season for Avengers Assemble that might satisfy viewers who actually stuck with the show through the previous four seasons. I'm not sure that it even makes sense, in canon, for Black Panther, a character who the show never solely centered around for more than one or two episodes, to now be the star that the show revolved around for the final season. That would be like the Question being the main character of the final season of Justice League Unlimited.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts