"Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." Season Six Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate this season

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Please note, this thread may contain spoilers and references to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

"Missing Pieces" - Season Premiere
Friday, May 10, 2019 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on ABC
Scattered across the galaxy, the team works to find their footing in the wake of losing Coulson.

News & Discussion thread Part 3
Season Three talkback
Season Four talkback
Season Five talkback

'Like' Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. on Facebook
'Follow' Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. on Twitter
ABC.com - Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Last edited:

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Pretty solid premiere. The only slight problem is that since the trailers all featured Coulson's return, you spend the whole episode waiting for that - only to realize that it'll be the cliffhanger. :p

Looks like Piper and what's-his-name may get a bigger role this season. Man, the space graphics are getting better and better.

I think Mack is doing a fine job leading SHIELD so far. I'm just concerned that his sub-plot with Yo-Yo will become annoying again. Hopefully, she moves on with Keller, and that'll be it for that.

When that one dude got stuck inside the wall, it reminded me of how I used to assume it would look if Nightcrawler teleported inside something. :p

Not-Coulson had a pretty cool entrance. I know this is probably just another dimension-Coulson, but going by the dialogue he had in the next episode preview, I'm starting to wonder...

I can't even guess what Fitz is up to right now.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Dig Quake's new look and that move she did with quaking the guns apart was pretty dope then she does the 'Widow leg throw' on that D'Rillian. :D

Very cool reveal that Mack and May want to rebuild the S.H.I.E.L.D. Academy, name it after Coulson, then their choice, Dr. Benson is connected to Andrew Garner and Culver University.

Overall, I enjoyed the new blood at S.H.I.E.L.D. and liked that small moment of Mack deliberating with everyone about the anomaly/warp weirdness.

Pachakutiq. What Tinker uttered when the team analyzed him. In Quechu, it means "he who overturns space and time" or "earth shaker" -- so make of that what you will. Time travelers or dimension jumpers who go around destorying things.

As a mythology nut, I always enjoy a plot that involves the Ley Lines, heh.

Glad to see the Confederacy hasn't gone away and can hold a grudge.

And neat Zephyr is using that Confederacy teleporter to do jumps.

Interestingly enough, with captions on, when Sarge shoots Fox it says the weapon is an ICER.

Looks like Piper and what's-his-name may get a bigger role this season.
Davis. Yup, I recall they bumped those two up to regulars.

I'm just concerned that his sub-plot with Yo-Yo will become annoying again.
Yep. Agreed. I eye rolled when it became clear Mack and Yo-Yo broke up or whatever you want to call it. But I'm also concerned with the return of reckless Simmons, too. I get why but still.

I can't even guess what Fitz is up to right now.
lol. Probably shenanigans. Logically, they would have tried to make contact with Chronicoms but one year later Fitz is working for a deep cut Marvel Comics villain? Injecting himself. Green eyes. Definitely worthy of a teaser. Another thing to consider is this Fitz still thinks the rest of the team is stuck in the future.

Last edited:

reflection01

I’m trying to remember last season’s time travel rules to see how they mesh with other part of the Marvel Universe.

Disappointed that they took so much time off and don’t seem to be accounting for other events.

I do like that they’re rebuilding SHIELD.

Any ideas who Coulson’s crew is? Reavers come to mind but that would have been a rights issue until a few months ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I’m trying to remember last season’s time travel rules to see how they mesh with other part of the Marvel Universe.
Well, for a time, there were 2 Fitzs in the present like there are/were 2 Caps.

Any ideas who Coulson’s crew is? Reavers come to mind but that would have been a rights issue until a few months ago.
In the news thread, I theorized they're a take on the Time Variance Authority/Time Keepers going around destroying time aberrations across the multiverse, namely Deke and Earth I think are the targets. Deke, of course, is from the future. And Earth was supposed to be taken out by the Destroyer of Worlds. So I take it they aim to vaporize the planet then move onto the next mission.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
So it's pretty clear now that Marvel TV is fanfiction it's going to do it's own thing and is better off being considered its own universe now if they're not going to reference Infinity War.

reflection01

So it's pretty clear now that Marvel TV is fanfiction it's going to do it's own thing and is better off being considered its own universe now if they're not going to reference Infinity War.

They did reference it last season. The article said Season 7 may take up Endgame.

I would like to see a TV show, miniseries, or movie tackle after the dusting and eventually incorporate the Endgame aftermath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Batboy84

Man. It was kinda hard watching this episode and not thinking how they messed up connecting it to the MCU. We just needed one line of dialogue. ONE. Instead we get this nonsense from producers that this is before the snap. Yeesh. So are we just gonna treat this as non-canon to the MCU now?

Anyway, on with the episode itself. I thought it was good overall, though it wasn't quite good enough to be worth waiting just shy of a year for, but that's not their fault.

I have to call Daisy's strategy into question. Her plan was to constantly show how strong she was in order to keep hostiles from attacking them? In the words of Tony Stark, "Not a great plan." Displaying strength in that manner invites challenge. Just watch. There'll be at least one instance where Daisy has to fight someone because they want to prove how strong they are.

And then there's the Mack/Elena drama. Given the reason they offered for the split so far being Mack being so involved with the job, it just screams soap opera to me.

As for Simmons recklessly disregarding everyone's wishes and going after Fitz, I mean I get why she did it, but I hope they don't just gloss over it next week but to be honest I doubt they would.

I like that they're constantly bringing new people in to try and rebuild S.H.I.E.L.D. Here's hoping this time it will actually stick.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of them bringing back Clark Gregg to be an antagonist. It feels like a way to have them mourn Coulson all over again, and a cheap way of doing it at that. Hopefully they can have this character be able to give off an impression that isn't "Whoa he looks just like Coulson! How will they deal with this?"

As for the villains themselves, I'm not sure about them as a whole yet, whether they make a good threat, if they're compelling and all that. All I know is that the girl has a strange thing about death.
They did reference it last season. The article said Season 7 may take up Endgame.
He's referring to the snap. The final episodes of Season 5 took place at the same time as Infinity War. At best, the season ended hours before the snap. At worst, seconds. Even if Season 7 were to address Endgame, it would already be too late.

Fone Bone

Hindsight 2020!
Spoilers for Endgame in this review.

Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Missing Pieces"
I'm going to take a wait and see approach before offering a critical judgment about that, but Avengers Endgame was on my mind the entire time and it doesn't fit at all. The Snap cannot be a thing because there are more people at SHIELD than ever before, and nobody has mentioned it at all.

Does it need to fit though? They seem to be embracing the idea of a Multiverse with this Evil Coulson, maybe this season onward takes place in a Universe where the Snap was prevented. Honestly, that's probably the best they can do. Dr. Strange dire odds-making is the thing that I don't like about that idea, but maybe the odds are different in the different multiverses created when the Avengers went back in time to collect the stones. It's as good an explanation as any. Other than the show being able to factor the Snap into the plotline, which is clearly was unable to.

Good to see Lucas Bryant getting work. Nathan wasn't my favorite character on Haven, but the actor always cracks me up anyways.

Provisional three stars. Which I reserve the right to add to or take away depending on how the rest of the season shakes out. ***.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Man. It was kinda hard watching this episode and not thinking how they messed up connecting it to the MCU. We just needed one line of dialogue. ONE. Instead we get this nonsense from producers that this is before the snap. Yeesh. So are we just gonna treat this as non-canon to the MCU now?
The Dr. Benson intro scene was a missed opportunity. All they had to do was have him mention his husband turning to dust.

For now, I'm ignoring what the producers said and it's one year into the Snap. Enoch's line indicates it was 104 days after Fitz was frozen in late November 2017 so March 2018. Then the one year later timestamp, so season six is March 2019 in-universe. If the original Avengers were spared from the Snap, so could members of SHIELD. Though if want to poke more holes in the producers' dumbass statement, they didn't say which snap. :p

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
Watched the first episode of this season last night (on Hulu).

There's "altering the timeline" and then there's doing things just because the writers want to make plot twists.

Remember, the only difference starting out was Quake injected herself with the Kree "rage" serum, giving her the power to kill Talbot. In the original timeline, Coulson got the serum, and Talbot blew up the Earth.

So how does that lead to Enoch's spaceship getting attacked? Didn't Enoch or someone say a line about them losing their cloaking ability for some reason? The ship should've been safely hidden until SHIELD arrived to unfreeze Fitz.

And how is Quake known throughout the galaxy again? This isn't the future where she's known as the person who destroyed Earth.

"The Confederacy" is bugging me. They're not based off of anything from the comics, near as I can tell, and it doesn't fit with the state of the universe as shown in "Guardians of the Galaxy".

I still suspect that they'll address the Thanos snap at some point...but probably not till mid season or the end of this season. Maybe this "multi-dimensions" plot will tie in with Spider-Man: Far From Home, but it'd be strange to tie in with that...and to never even address the snap?

....Maybe they are relegating "Agents of SHIELD" to a "branch" timeline, where the Thanos snap never occurred? But where did it branch off, if that's the case?

Batboy84

Watched the first episode of this season last night (on Hulu).

There's "altering the timeline" and then there's doing things just because the writers want to make plot twists.

Remember, the only difference starting out was Quake injected herself with the Kree "rage" serum, giving her the power to kill Talbot. In the original timeline, Coulson got the serum, and Talbot blew up the Earth.

So how does that lead to Enoch's spaceship getting attacked? Didn't Enoch or someone say a line about them losing their cloaking ability for some reason? The ship should've been safely hidden until SHIELD arrived to unfreeze Fitz.

And how is Quake known throughout the galaxy again? This isn't the future where she's known as the person who destroyed Earth.
For the Quake being known thing, there was a line where Simmons criticized Daisy for basically being aggressive and attacking everyone at the planets they visited looking for Fitz, which Daisy defended as a defense tactic to intimidate everyone into not attacking them.

Honestly, the time loop thing has bugged me for a year now. From what I can tell, there was no real discernable difference, and by the time Robin knew something was different, she was already on her way out with her mother, who in the time loop would have already died by that point, so it's just a confusing mess to me. Also, that surveillance camera had Daisy yelling at the Quinjet the same way both before and after the time loop is broken, so Coulson never took the serum to my knowledge.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It wasn't the Kree serum, it was a modified Centipede serum that originated from AOS season 1.

We'll see. The main difference is now the Confederacy seems to be on the hunt throughout the Milky Way.

"The Confederacy" is bugging me. They're not based off of anything from the comics, near as I can tell, and it doesn't fit with the state of the universe as shown in "Guardians of the Galaxy".
How so? It's not like they've gone into heavy detail about the state of things in the MCU.

....Maybe they are relegating "Agents of SHIELD" to a "branch" timeline, where the Thanos snap never occurred? But where did it branch off, if that's the case?
I think it's too early to relegate AOS to a branch timeline. I'm a little aghast people are jumping to that conclusion after just 1 episode.

wonderfly

Is this the future?!?
Staff member
Administrator
It wasn't the Kree serum, it was a modified Centipede serum that originated from AOS season 1.

Ah yes, thank you.

How so? It's not like they've gone into heavy detail about the state of things in the MCU.

Well...it's more that there's no "Confederacy" in the movies (or the comics). But I guess they have the "Kree" in their group, and the Kree are in the comics/movies.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
Well...it's more that there's no "Confederacy" in the movies (or the comics). But I guess they have the "Kree" in their group, and the Kree are in the comics/movies.
But the races of the members we saw in season 5 are largely from the comics.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member

"Window of Opportunity"
Friday, May 17, 2017 @ 8 p.m. ET/7 CT on ABC
While Fitz and Enoch struggle in space, Sarge and his team move forward with their mysterious mission on Earth.

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Hindsight 2020!
Marvel's Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D. "Window Of Opportunity"

The idea of an invisible truck is so stupid. It's an accident waiting to happen. How exactly are other cars supposed to avoid it if they can't see it? Making an electric car noiseless causes enough accidents. Making one invisible is insane.

Nice to see Fitz without a beard. Iain De Caestecker looks better clean-shaven.

I like the idea that "sugar-water" is one of Earth's selling points. I totally agree. As does Roland of Gilead from The Dark Tower.

It's interesting that "Coulson" rings a bell for Sarge.

May did great in that last fight. She was a real hellcat. Kicked everyone's butts.

I love that Fitz has not gone soft. It's simply he made sure it was the bad people who died. I love that.

I'm glad the diamond shop woman survived.

Interesting that May does the "We'll return in a moment" announcements before the tag now.

I love Simmons and Daisy showing up at the end too. Next week is gonna be great.

I'm enjoying this season so far. ****.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
100% DNA match... I'm sticking with my TVA/Time Keepers theory and this Coulson is from a now defunct timeline. But since "Coulson" rang a bell, some kind of amnesia/memory manipulation is at play, imo.

It is intriguing Sarge implied he recruits from the worlds they destroy.

I enjoyed watching May almost taking out Sarge's team. It's been too long since we've seen May at 100%. Great action piece.

Dug the visual with the portal tech they used. The bits with blocking/unblocking the portal felt like it was straight out a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

The Xandarian snails was an amusing callback but the Controller was a letdown - nothing like the comic book character and offed in 1 episode. Still, I was also relieved it was Fitz and not 'dark' Fitz - he and Enoch saved the Sivian engineers and was even thinking of how to get them out of being arrested. It was great having Enoch back on the show, he's been a great add, imo.

I'm enjoying Dr. Benson and Keller so far. It was a great idea to have Benson go through SHIELD's history to try and figure out who Sarge and his team were. GH.325, Inhuman, LMD.

Spotlight

Sponsored Ads

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

So this is interesting.
Hi everyone! I just joined, i've been reading these forums since I was 13. So happy to finally have an account!
I wish I knew how old Niki Lytton is so I can wish her a proper happy birthday today. She's the script coordinator for Legend Of The Three Caballeros, Muppet Babies season 1, and (since mid-season 1) TOTS. Given how she's mainly a script coordinator, I assume she's somewhere in her late 20s (given how script coordinators are generally young writers).
The old ratings are back!
I just wanna ask you all. Do you like a new redesigh? For me,it looks nice!