"Marvel Unlimited" General Talkback (Spoilers)

Shawn Hopkins

TZ Member of the Year 2013
Glitches aside, I really love having this available on my iPad. It's like being let loose in a comic book library. I read comics until I actually got tired of it last night.

wonderfly

Brand New Day on Toonzone
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Glitches aside, I really love having this available on my iPad. It's like being let loose in a comic book library. I read comics until I actually got tired of it last night.

And it gives me motivation to finally break down and buy a tablet...

Chaos Yoshi Mage, not sure why it isn't working on a Kindle Fire, is that a Android tablet? It's supposed to work now on Ipad, Iphone, and Android tablets...

One glitch that I see too much: When I'm in "smart panel" mode, it's running the panels out of order...to compensate, I'm just going to "Full screen" mode and viewing single pages...it works. Hopefully these glitches can be fixed soon.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I got an email from Marvel with a press release - looks like "Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited" is dropping the annoying "D.C." from it's name, and is now called "Marvel Unlimited".

Press release says:

"We're thrilled to present your all-new Marvel Unlimited experience.

This evolution from Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited to the Marvel Unlimited program is so much more than just a name change - and we're excited to show you all the new features and benefits you will receive as a member, with even more on the way!

You've asked for it and now you've got it! With the free Marvel Unlimited App you can browse and read comics right now on your Iphone and Ipad. The Marvel Unlimited Android App is coming soon! Add issues to "My Library" (previously "Must-Reads") to keep track across the web and all your compatible devices!

*access your subscription anytime, anywhere
*Save up to 6 comics at any given time to your mobile device to read even when you're offline."

Sounds pretty sweet (I only wish it was fully Android capable by now...)

Shawn Hopkins

The new app is basically the revamped website, but it seems more stable. Unfortunately you can't completely fullscreen the comics but maybe that'll be added later. One big surprise is that the app actually lets you download up to six comics for offline reading, which is a huge boost to the portability of the service.

Chaos Yoshi Mage

The Lonely Raven
I hope they release a Kindle Fire version of the app before May (When I have to renew). Probably just wishful thinking on my part...

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
For the last 3 or 4 days, I've been having problems being able to read comics in the Marvel Unlimited website. Usually when I open up a comic, it takes up the full screen, but now, it instead opens up a sliver of a comic I can barely read on the left hand side of my desktop monitor. I tried spreading it to take up the full page and it won't let me. Here's a pic of what it looks like on my desktop:

MarvelUnlimitederror_zpsfe4e3294.jpg

Anyone else having this problem? I'm trying to figure out if Marvel's experiencing an error, or if it's something specific to my computer? Can someone else here test a comic on Marvel's website and see if it's doing this to them?

JCK

I've been having the same exact problem as the person above and I am also looking for answers. Anyone?

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
I went and tested the Marvel Unlimited website on a friend's computer, and it was doing the same thing there. So this appears to be some sort of malfunction on Marvel's part. I sent an email to Marvel's "technical support" department (but surely they would know their website is messed up...)

Captain Highwind

I've been having the same problem with them for the past week too. I finally received a default 'we're fixing it' message from them at the beginning of the week.

In the meantime, if you have a big monitor, just switch to beta mode. It will give you the full screen option to where you can at least see the print and page layout.

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Anyone else still having problems with this? I went to my in-laws' house on Saturday night, and they've got a new computer, and the Marvel Unlimited comics seemed to work on there just fine (they only have internet explorer on their computer). So I went back home the next day and tried the website again on Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox, and it doesn't work on any of those. Why would it work on a new computer (a Lenovo, for the record) but not on all of ours? Was Saturday night a fluke (did Marvel get it working temporarily)?

I tried the Beta version, and yes, it lets you enlarge the comic, but Beta version doesn't work quite as well on desktop computers (or so I've found)...it's still very buggy...

Captain Highwind

Nope, they still haven't done a thing about it. They did in the meantime send me a flyer for a Marvel Premium service, so I'm beginning to feel like we're being pushed into something. ^ ^;

I'll finish this year off, but I probably won't be back and will just go back to buying my books digitally.

Shawn Hopkins

I saw the thing about Plus. That is very much not for me. A toy. A bad comic book. Some perks at some conventions I'll never go to. None of these are much of an incentive for the extra $30. The 15 percent off in the Marvel Digital store would be pretty cool if I bought more Marvel Digital comics, but I've, um, got Unlimited and I just wait for them in that.

That said, the Unlimited reader for iOS just got an update, and it's awesome. This is really the service pretty close to how it should be, the clunkiness of the Beta has mostly been eliminated.

Anyone else still having problems with this? I went to my in-laws' house on Saturday night, and they've got a new computer, and the Marvel Unlimited comics seemed to work on there just fine (they only have internet explorer on their computer). So I went back home the next day and tried the website again on Internet Explorer, Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox, and it doesn't work on any of those. Why would it work on a new computer (a Lenovo, for the record) but not on all of ours? Was Saturday night a fluke (did Marvel get it working temporarily)?

I tried the Beta version, and yes, it lets you enlarge the comic, but Beta version doesn't work quite as well on desktop computers (or so I've found)...it's still very buggy...

Upgrade you Flash plugin, see if that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Shawn Hopkins said:
Upgrade you Flash plugin, see if that helps.

I tried that but it didn't work. Got to doing some more investigating (because surely there are other forums with people encountering this problem), and came across this thread on Marvel's forums. Everybody is pretty confident it's Marvel performing some sort of updates, but there was some people that figured out how to get around it:

Instead of doing like you would regularly and just left-clicking on the "Read now" button, you should right-click on the "Read Now" button and select "Open in new tab" or "Open in new window". From there it works fine. :)

Dreyfus

Sorry for posting to an older thread, but just wanted to say that I signed up for an annual subscription of this recently and it's pretty much the best thing ever. Website is a little buggy, not too bad, but if you have a tablet of any kind the iPad and Android apps are really good. It's a great way to get into Marvel comics cheaply. They're doing a sale now on the website too if anyone's interested.
http://marvel.com/comics/unlimited

wonderfly

Staff member
Administrator
Reporter

"Marvel Unlimited" (the "Netflix Library" app of back issue Marvel comics), got a significant redesign to the app today. One of the new upgrades is that you can download an unlimited amount of comics to your phone (previously, you could only download up to 12).

However, there's still a 3 month delay for "new print published comics" to come to the app, but Marvel's gone a different route to provide new material: They've come out with "Infinity Comics" - new stories from comic book creators that are specifically designed to be read on a cell phone or tablet.

MU_DEVICE_GIF_02.gif

Marvel somewhat tried this years ago on the "Unlimited" app, having "lesser" stories premiere on the app (though they would eventually get print version). My hope is these new stories are not "afterthoughts" (and considering it features writers like Jonathan Hickman, I would say they look better than the "new" stories we were getting a decade ago).

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts