"Marvel Universe" Programming Block Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Comment - "Marvel Universe" Programming Block

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Tune in to Marvel Universe every Sunday at 11am (ET/PT) on Disney XD!

Marvel Universe
Sundays at 11:00am (ET/PT) on Disney XD. Encores Sundays at 8pm (ET/PT).

Description: The epic storytelling of Marvel -- full of action, adventure and humor, along with complex, courageous and aspirational characters – will be introduced to a new generation of kids and families through a dedicated programming block, Marvel Universe. The block features the new Ultimate Spider-Man, the second season of The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and new short-form series that take viewers behind the scenes to meet the creative teams and explore the many facets of the Marvel Universe. This all comes together to form a can't miss event in the Mighty Marvel Manner!

Discuss Week One of Marvel Universe! Comments?

Remember: Discuss 'Ultimate Spider-Man' and 'The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes' in their respective talkback threads!

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Chaos Yoshi Mage

The Lonely Raven
All of these segments run way too long. I like that put work into it, but man, these drag...

Knightmare

All of these segments run way too long. I like that put work into it, but man, these drag...

Agreed, also I don't like how it seems like they just have one person doing all the voices during those "Marvel Mash up" sequences, all those really made me do is wish that Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends was on DVD already.

jph139

Immortal
See, I liked the Hawkeye bio - a bit long, I'll admit, but it was nice to get an in-depth "review" of the A:EMH version of the character. "Tick tick boom." Still fresh. :D

I agree, though, they feel padded. DC Nation's are too brief, Marvel's are too long... neither have hit that sweet spot, but I'd prefer too much content than too little. The mash-ups were really pretty great, when they hit right, at least.

"Get your hand out of your eye soldier!"

"Angry? That's the one with the smiles and laughing, right?"

"You know I have a bad back! That's why I brought a doctor's note to our last battle!"

I laughed. :p

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
The What Would It Take ? slacklining segment was not the way to start the block off. It was a little irritating having to sit through it and wait a few minutes more to see the new show premiere. I liked the other segments but yeah, they definitely ran a little long. The block opening was pretty nice, and the subway station bumpers were a great idea. Overall, it was a very hyperactive hour and a half. I think I might actually be a little dizzy after that.

MarvelManiac

I thought it was pretty cool! The A:HMH Hawkeye bit was nice, as it let us know his back-story from his EMH version specifically. The Marvel Mash-Up was hilarious, especially the Hulk bit:

Hulk: "Let me check the engine."
Army guy: "No, no, no, you don't have to do that."
Hulk: "No, it's fine" Rips off the hood, rips out the engine. "Oh, that's the problem, your engine is leaking. Let me take care of that for you." Throws the engine into a satellite, destroying it. "You're probably going to have to replace that too." :D

I liked it more than DC Nation, but that's just my opinion. I'm looking forward to next weeks segment. :)

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
Loved the Marvel Mashups, those are a good idea done pretty well.

Karaoke with Doc Ock, and Peter trying to get a head start changing into his costume. :D

Lighthammer

Bringer of the Light
I'm certainly digging this more then DC Nation right now.

It has a nice intro for starters and the bumpers in between were neat.

I'll agree with others, the Hawkeye bio was a tad on the long side; one section of that could have been pulled out entirely.

I do very much like how the bumpers are supporting the things going on in the individual series instead of giving you something absolutely not relevant to the series you're watching.

Beyond that the block SCREAMS Marvel where the DC Block really --- doesn't.

The one BIG complaint I had about the block is DXD 'insisting' on screaming "Marvel Universe on DXD". Is that really necessary? I'd much rather see something more Marvelish in those bumper slots. Heck, to be honest, I really don't want to see anything about the DXD live action kiddie series during the block. That can just go away :-\.

Other then that, the promos they ran for the Avenger's Movie was awesome as was the promo for Tron.

I hate to say it, but overall, this block feels like it would be so much better on Saturday nights with Transformers Prime over on The Hub.

Sketch

not like those other old guys
As far as the block experience goes, it does much more than DC Nation and feels a bit more cohesive.

The segments felt sluggish or padded at times so they could do to trim some fat.

Seeing as I enjoy parodies Marvel Mash-Up should be right up my alley. At times it felt a bit like Sealab 2021 but very few moments were actually funny IMO. It was like a badly written internet parody.

And at the end of the day even if they feel too short the new DCN shorts are more worthwhile than such low budget remixes.

Marvel Universe feels more like a block but not the kind of block I'm excited to watch.

Dragnatek

The segments could be trimmed a little as the Hawk eye bio and the drawing Hulk segment seemed to drag. The Marvel mash ups were hit and miss but had some good jokes. I laughed at the changing contest with Spider-man complaining about how quickly Iceman and Firestorm get into uniform.

joltman

As someone that doesn't have Disney XD, can someone give me a whole breakdown of what was played when?

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
As someone that doesn't have Disney XD, can someone give me a whole breakdown of what was played when?
Well here's a table of contents:

1) Opening
2) What Would It Take? - Slacklining
3) Ultimate Spider-Man - Great Power
4) Fury Files - Hawkeye (starts during end credits of USM)
5) Ultimate Spider-Man - Great Responsibility)
6) Master Class - Hulk (runs at about the halfway point of USM)
7) Marvel Mash-Up - Incredible Hulk (starts during credits)
8) Avengers - Private War Of Doctor Doom
9) Marvel Mash-Up - Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends

joltman

Well here's a table of contents:

1) Opening
2) What Would It Take? - Slacklining
3) Ultimate Spider-Man - Great Power
4) Fury Files - Hawkeye (starts during end credits of USM)
5) Ultimate Spider-Man - Great Responsibility)
6) Master Class - Hulk (runs at about the halfway point of USM)
7) Marvel Mash-Up - Incredible Hulk (starts during credits)
8) Avengers - Private War Of Doctor Doom
9) Marvel Mash-Up - Spider-Man & His Amazing Friends

That's just what I was looking for, thanks!

Dsneybuf

I tried to watch the Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends Mash-Up on the DVR, but it cut off right after Doctor Doom said something like, "It's a triple rainbow! Do you know what this means, Spider-Man?" What happened next?

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Tune in to Marvel Universe every Sunday at 11am (ET/PT) on Disney XD!

Marvel Universe
Sundays at 11:00am (ET/PT) on Disney XD. Encores Sundays at 8pm (ET/PT).

Description: The epic storytelling of Marvel -- full of action, adventure and humor, along with complex, courageous and aspirational characters – will be introduced to a new generation of kids and families through a dedicated programming block, Marvel Universe. The block features the new Ultimate Spider-Man, the second season of The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, and new short-form series that take viewers behind the scenes to meet the creative teams and explore the many facets of the Marvel Universe. This all comes together to form a can't miss event in the Mighty Marvel Manner!

Discuss Week Two of Marvel Universe! Comments?

Remember: Discuss 'Ultimate Spider-Man' and 'The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes' in their respective talkback threads!

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts