"Marvel Super Hero Adventures: Frost Fight!" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Discuss this Marvel Holiday Special!

• Total voters

Frontier

Staff member
Santa Claus

- Steven Blum

Mrs. Claus

- Jane Singer

Called it :D.

That's weird about Mercer being Cap instead of Roger Craig Smith. I wonder why they couldn't get him? Then again, they didn't get back Adrian Pasdar for Iron Man, so I guess the recording for this special was just at an inconvenient time for both? I doubt they're recasting Cap at any rate o_O.

Hope Grey Griffin as Captain Marvel ends up holding true for Ultron Revolution though :).

And Trevor Devall as Jarvis? I have to hear this :p.

Marvel/DCfan

I loved Grey Griffin voicing Captain Marvel. She sounded good and Captain Marvel was cool, can't wait to see her in a more serious setting in Avengers Ultron Revolution

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
Personally I'd still like to see her voice Spiderwoman some day.

Troy Troodon

[Mod Note: Clear reference to illegal viewing removed. Next time gets an automatic warning.]

Admittedly, this is... better than most episode of AA or SMASH, in some spots the animation is not as stiff but it does make it more inconsistent, as was some of the audio sync.

Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) was a nice addition, and unlike AA's Black Widow or SMASH's She-Hulk, she has a lot more personality as a female character. She's kind, she's sincere, and she has this uplifting nature and even her own sense of humor when she's interacting with the other heroes. I miss Jennifer Hale, but Grey Griffin did a fine voice as Carol, as was Matthew Mercer, he sounds like a decent stand in for Rodger Craig Smith, though he may have sounded a bit too young sometimes, but he still did a good job portraying the character. Then there's Mick Wingert as Iron Man, very reminiscent to Eric Loomez with his Robert Downy Jr. impression, which I liked since it reminded me of the former's performance back in EMH. Anthony Del Rio, back as Reptil since his role during the SuperHero Squad, never thought I'd hear back from him again, and I didn't think he'd still sound so young. This dude's got range.^^

Steve Blum as Santa... I admit was actually rather good. Didn't think he'd steer away from his usual Steve Blum palate, he was a pretty good Santa Claus. Although, I kind'a wish they got someone other than Fred Tatasciore to play Blizzard King, sounds too remnant to The Hulk, perhaps someone like Neil Kaplan or John Dimaggio for a change, but as usual he's still fine with what he's got.

While I usually do not like the typical AA style banter, Both Captain Marvel and Captain America expressed some pretty solid character personality, especially regarding their childhood history with Santa.

The music for the most part was also very mellow, and there were some bits here that I did find kind'a funny. Mind you I wasn't roaring with laughter, but the few good jokes or lines of dialogue they had, did get a smile out of me.

So, with the positives out of the way, it's time for met to point out the negatives.

While there are some decent bits of animation, most of it is still stilted (Especially with the camera movement.) and again it feels inconsistent when those different animated sequences clash.

Hulk and Thor were being bothersome as usual and I think they may have caused some collateral damage (Hopefully not killing anyone in the process!) and really I felt that bit and the scenes with Rocket Raccoon were just padding.

And again some visuals and audio bits seemed rather out of place in some spots, like with Rocket after the sleigh ride with Mrs. Claus for example.

Tony I'm... kind'a mixed on. There were some bits were he did play it smart with Reptil, and he even had a couple funny lines, but again I just can't steam the AA style of banter he has with the other characters. And Oi I cannot stand the nonsense puns they keep pulling out of their christmas puns. *Rimshot Drum Beat*

And then there's that forced moral about belief (Which I critically destain against) like with this one moment in the film where Reptil outright says "You don't need proof to believe!"

Uh, yeah dude, you do need proof! You need solid evidence to prove something...Also, Believe?! I'm sorry, but when it comes to proving something true, it's about, Knowing! Not "Believing!"

And btw, let's get something stupid out of the way! The bit where we see Reptil shivering, and Captain Marvel flat out says it's because he's, cold-blooded... Yeah pop cultural consciousness is not kind to zoology, especially when it comes to prehistoric animals like dinosaurs. Look I don't expect everyone to know by now that dinosaurs and most other Mesozoic reptiles were warm-blooded, but anyway here's the real problem I have with that quirk-- Reptil is HUMAN! He's still a human being, which is an ape, which is a primate, which is a mammal; and we all know mammals are Warm-Blooded! So even putting aside the debate as to whether dinosaurs were warm or cold-blooded, Reptil, as a human being is warm-blooded never the less! And even if he was "cold-blooded" then he wouldn't just be shivering, he'd probably be in a state of suspended animation, or at worst the cold might possibly even kill him! Don't you think Reptil, may have been shivering... simply because he's just really cold?!

Ugh, anyway there's also this bit where the Elves apparently listen to Reptil more than the other Avengers because he's younger, and according to them "Youth speaks Truth?" I can't decide if that's either pretentious or just lazy.

Ah well. Anyway, as is, Frost Fight is mediocre at best. Which is not surprise, but at the same time I really wanted to like this special, not only for the new character but because it had some other context which I did find pleasing.

But as is, over all I give it 5/10 starts. Still not a big step up for Marvel Animation, although I will admit I am eager to see the creators tackle something Halloween related.

Did anyone think, She-Hulk looked more like her comic book counter part here than in SMASH?!

Last edited by a moderator:

Marvel/DCfan

[Mod Note: Clear reference to illegal viewing removed. Next time gets an automatic warning.]

Admittedly, this is... better than most episode of AA or SMASH, in some spots the animation is not as stiff but it does make it more inconsistent, as was some of the audio sync.

Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers) was a nice addition, and unlike AA's Black Widow or SMASH's She-Hulk, she has a lot more personality as a female character. She's kind, she's sincere, and she has this uplifting nature and even her own sense of humor when she's interacting with the other heroes. I miss Jennifer Hale, but Grey Griffin did a fine voice as Carol, as was Matthew Mercer, he sounds like a decent stand in for Rodger Craig Smith, though he may have sounded a bit too young sometimes, but he still did a good job portraying the character. Then there's Mick Wingert as Iron Man, very reminiscent to Eric Loomez with his Robert Downy Jr. impression, which I liked since it reminded me of the former's performance back in EMH. Anthony Del Rio, back as Reptil since his role during the SuperHero Squad, never thought I'd hear back from him again, and I didn't think he'd still sound so young. This dude's got range.^^

Steve Blum as Santa... I admit was actually rather good. Didn't think he'd steer away from his usual Steve Blum palate, he was a pretty good Santa Claus. Although, I kind'a wish they got someone other than Fred Tatasciore to play Blizzard King, sounds too remnant to The Hulk, perhaps someone like Neil Kaplan or John Dimaggio for a change, but as usual he's still fine with what he's got.

While I usually do not like the typical AA style banter, Both Captain Marvel and Captain America expressed some pretty solid character personality, especially regarding their childhood history with Santa.

The music for the most part was also very mellow, and there were some bits here that I did find kind'a funny. Mind you I wasn't roaring with laughter, but the few good jokes or lines of dialogue they had, did get a smile out of me.

So, with the positives out of the way, it's time for met to point out the negatives.

While there are some decent bits of animation, most of it is still stilted (Especially with the camera movement.) and again it feels inconsistent when those different animated sequences clash.

Hulk and Thor were being bothersome as usual and I think they may have caused some collateral damage (Hopefully not killing anyone in the process!) and really I felt that bit and the scenes with Rocket Raccoon were just padding.

And again some visuals and audio bits seemed rather out of place in some spots, like with Rocket after the sleigh ride with Mrs. Claus for example.

Tony I'm... kind'a mixed on. There were some bits were he did play it smart with Reptil, and he even had a couple funny lines, but again I just can't steam the AA style of banter he has with the other characters. And Oi I cannot stand the nonsense puns they keep pulling out of their christmas puns. *Rimshot Drum Beat*

And then there's that forced moral about belief (Which I critically destain against) like with this one moment in the film where Reptil outright says "You don't need proof to believe!"

Uh, yeah dude, you do need proof! You need solid evidence to prove something...Also, Believe?! I'm sorry, but when it comes to proving something true, it's about, Knowing! Not "Believing!"

And btw, let's get something stupid out of the way! The bit where we see Reptil shivering, and Captain Marvel flat out says it's because he's, cold-blooded... Yeah pop cultural consciousness is not kind to zoology, especially when it comes to prehistoric animals like dinosaurs. Look I don't expect everyone to know by now that dinosaurs and most other Mesozoic reptiles were warm-blooded, but anyway here's the real problem I have with that quirk-- Reptil is HUMAN! He's still a human being, which is an ape, which is a primate, which is a mammal; and we all know mammals are Warm-Blooded! So even putting aside the debate as to whether dinosaurs were warm or cold-blooded, Reptil, as a human being is warm-blooded never the less! And even if he was "cold-blooded" then he wouldn't just be shivering, he'd probably be in a state of suspended animation, or at worst the cold might possibly even kill him! Don't you think Reptil, may have been shivering... simply because he's just really cold?!

Ugh, anyway there's also this bit where the Elves apparently listen to Reptil more than the other Avengers because he's younger, and according to them "Youth speaks Truth?" I can't decide if that's either pretentious or just lazy.

Ah well. Anyway, as is, Frost Fight is mediocre at best. Which is not surprise, but at the same time I really wanted to like this special, not only for the new character but because it had some other context which I did find pleasing.

But as is, over all I give it 5/10 starts. Still not a big step up for Marvel Animation, although I will admit I am eager to see the creators tackle something Halloween related.

Did anyone think, She-Hulk looked more like her comic book counter part here than in SMASH?!

I think she hulk actually looked better in this film than smash

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
It was funny seeing JLA Adventures: Trapped in Time listed as a similar movie on iTunes because this reminded me a lot of that while watching it. It's definitely aimed at young kids though it doesn't feel much different in tone from the current tv output. I liked it. It dragged at times and probably could have survived being a little shorter instead of almost feature length but I thought it worked better than either of the Heroes United movies. A nice holiday moment to follow up last year's USM Nightmare On Christmas episode, which I liked a lot.

It was cool to see Captain Marvel and Reptil though it really does bring to mind that this might have been reworked from something planned during the Superhero Squad days. I didn't find myself missing Hawkeye, Falcon or Black Widow here while watching these two filling the roles they might have had.

There's something a little hilarious about Wingert who played Po on Legends of Awesomeness play Iron Man after seeing criticism saying Eric Loomis sounded like Jack Black back when he played Iron Man. Anyways, I have no complaints about the voice cast and it was especially neat to see Grey and Antony reprise their SHS roles.

As always when I see something I think is headed in a positive direction from Marvel Animation, I'll just cross my fingers, hope they build on it and eventually get to the point where they're doing something innovative.

spyke

I saw this a couple of days ago, and I agree with most of your review. This was an inconsistent movie that had an equal share of both good and bad points.

TheLemsterPju

What that GIF from?

My first post? Cop Out. By Kevin Smith.

After rewatching the special, I'm going to have to rate this 3 stars. There is nothing wrong with it, actually. It's just....more of the usual. I guess I was expecting too much. :sweat:

Also, I doubt anyone in all honesty would have seen this movie the hour the thread was posted to rate it half-a-star. Just sayin', I noticed that on the 11th.

*sigh* I hope folks eventually realize that we aren't in some "dark age" of Marvel Animation. Marvel has been putting out, possibly, the only action cartoons for all-ages on US network TV in the past couple years. I can at least appreciate that.

Greg91

Reporter
After rewatching the special, I'm going to have to rate this 3 stars. There is nothing wrong with it, actually. It's just....more of the usual. I guess I was expecting too much. :sweat:

*sigh* I hope folks eventually realize that we aren't in some "dark age" of Marvel Animation. Marvel has been putting out, possibly, the only action cartoons for all-ages on US network TV in the past couple years. I can at least appreciate that.

I agree that we aren't in the dark ages. That was probably 2004-2007 when almost nothing was happening. 2008-2011 was amazing with all the great movies and shows we were getting (ex. Spectacular Spider-Man, Wolverine/X-Men, Hulk Vs.). In comparison, 2012-present has been pretty underwhelming (ex. Avengers Assemble, Hulk/S.M.A.S.H., Heroes United).

That being said, Marvel Animation's unofficial 'Phase 2' looks exciting thanks to Guardians of the Galaxy. I want to see the improvements USM and Avengers Assemble make. At the same time, Frost Fight seems to be a mediocre affair. I miss 2008-2011 when there was variety. Kids had Super Hero Squad, Thor: Tales of Asgard, adults had Hulk Vs., Planet Hulk, and everyone had Spec Spidey, Wolverine/X-Men, Avengers EMH, etc. I really hope Marvel Animation starts adding variety to their offerings. Not just animation for kids.

At this point in time, I make sure not to expect too much.

Troy Troodon

Well, okay I wouldn't say this is "A Dark Age" more or less a step back for Marvel Animation.

Kids shows, particularly in the animation community, has come a long way from just using chess to piece storyboarding to promote toys or movies, to actually telling more productive and cohesive stories with more complex character development which the audience can relate to while still having fun with that.

I want to have fun with these new shows, but I want them to be smart to. I want the characters to be more likable and have some depth to them and not just stand out as promotional gimmicks. That's why I enjoyed Captain America here, as well as Captain Marvel, because they have more depth as characters and not just strawmen like Hawkeye or Black Widow, or just portraying She-Hulk as an action star, instead of making her a lawyer. (Yeah, I don't like how they portray the female heroes in particular.)

But that's just me. Hopefully later on they'll build up on that.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
I agree that we aren't in the dark ages. That was probably 2004-2007 when almost nothing was happening. 2008-2011 was amazing with all the great movies and shows we were getting (ex. Spectacular Spider-Man, Wolverine/X-Men, Hulk Vs.). In comparison, 2012-present has been pretty underwhelming (ex. Avengers Assemble, Hulk/S.M.A.S.H., Heroes United).

That being said, Marvel Animation's unofficial 'Phase 2' looks exciting thanks to Guardians of the Galaxy. I want to see the improvements USM and Avengers Assemble make. At the same time, Frost Fight seems to be a mediocre affair. I miss 2008-2011 when there was variety. Kids had Super Hero Squad, Thor: Tales of Asgard, adults had Hulk Vs., Planet Hulk, and everyone had Spec Spidey, Wolverine/X-Men, Avengers EMH, etc. I really hope Marvel Animation starts adding variety to their offerings. Not just animation for kids.

At this point in time, I make sure not to expect too much.
I think the thing with Marvel is that they do have variety and age distinctions with their products...it's not necessarily present in their animation :sweat:.

The cartoons are mainly aimed at kids, which they've been upfront about and have even used it as a defense at times, the Netflix shows are aimed at adults, and the MCU movies are their primary "all-ages" material.

The ABC shows can also fit under that "all-ages" umbrella as well, but I also think they're generally aimed at MCU fans who know the characters from the movies and want to see more of them ;).

So in that regard, Marvel might not feel the need to make animated works targeted at different audiences because they have other, live-action, products that can be used to that effect while the cartoons are explicitly meant for the kids. In contrast to DC, who's animation skew to many different audiences depending on the product (I'm not trying to bash Marvel when I say this, just pointing it out).

Though I think, if Guardians is any indication, that the cartoons are moving towards a more "all-ages" feel and talking-down to their young audience less, which would be great. Hopefully that holds true for the rest of Phase 3 of Marvel Animation, which is what I regard it as, with USM season 4 and Ultron Revolution :).

Greg91

Reporter
Marvel has been putting out, possibly, the only action cartoons for all-ages on US network TV in the past couple years. I can at least appreciate that.

You're missing a few shows there such as Transformers: Robots in Disguise (Cartoon Network), Lego Ninjago (Cartoon Network), and Star Wars Rebels (Disney XD).

Cartoon Network and Steven Universe? ;)

Steven Universe is an action show? I haven't seen it so I wouldn't know.

The cartoons are mainly aimed at kids, which they've been upfront about and have even used it as a defense at times, the Netflix shows are aimed at adults, and the MCU movies are their primary "all-ages" material.

Though I think, if Guardians is any indication, that the cartoons are moving towards a more "all-ages" feel and talking-down to their young audience less, which would be great. Hopefully that holds true for the rest of Phase 3 of Marvel Animation, which is what I regard it as, with USM season 4 and Ultron Revolution :).

Exactly, I wish Marvel Animation would recognize we don't want to be restricted to the movies or Netflix shows. Most of us want to enjoy everything Marvel has to offer and that includes animation.

I personally agree with Wacker's statement of Phase 2 starting with Guardians. There's nothing that indicates to me that the other shows were part of two separate phases unless you count Ultimate Spider-Man season one as Phase 1.

Anyways, since this thread is about Frost Fight, can anyone say it was pretty good and worth watching? (This coming from someone who liked JLA: Trapped in Time and didn't care for the Batman Unlimited movies.)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Getting back to actually discussing the movie would be ideal.

I'd say Frost Fight is worth checking out. It's a decent movie, nothing spectacular or ground-breaking but overall I liked it. The story is pretty underwhelming and it does have some parts where it drags a bit too much, but there's some good stuff in it too. The newly introduced characters are fun and developed nicely while the older characters are pretty much consistent with their portrayals on Avengers Assemble, for better or for worse. It's a mix of both good and bad ideas, but I think in the end it's pretty entertaining. I can't really think of another movie to compare it to, since this seems like it is in a league of its own.

I'll try to finish and post my full review next week.

Roxas_Sora

You know?, I just thought about something. After seeing this year's movie "Krampus", I think that's a leyend they could have used in this special too.

Jolnir (Santa Claus) is half Frost Giant and half Ligth Elf, which is very good thinking, by the way. So, Krampus could be his evil half-brother, half Frost Giant and half Dark Elf. Interesting idea, don't you think?

TheVileOne

Peace Loving Shinobi
Reporter
As a light Christmas special, I thought it was fine. Iron Man being a Scrooge type was amusing. I also like his new VA, at least as someone mimicking the Robert Downey Jr. style.

Getting new animated introductions of Reptil and Captain Marvel was cool. Plus we got some of Reptil's backstory. I thought the flashbacks of all the characters reminiscing on their Christmas memories was nice.

Is it jut me, or did the ship Rocket and Groot had look like a re-skinned Millennium Falcon?

McMax

I would've like something a little more hard core for the introduction of Captain Marvel (and the A:EMH costume) and the Avengers save Santa story line was a bit dubious, but I have to say that like it more than I thought I would. The action was OK and who doesn't love seeing Loki get the tinsel beat out of him! Santa being half giant and half elf was clever and the Avengers' stories of past Christmases was a nice touch and even the humor wasn't too heavy handed. On the whole not bad.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I would've like something a little more hard core for the introduction of Captain Marvel (and the A:EMH costume)

She did show up in Avengers Confidential, if you're counting that. The version of the original Ms Marvel costume used in AEMH was my favorite look for her and I wish it was the default instead of this current one. I think it work with colored leggings if they thought it had too much exposed leg or whatever. This reminds me that I liked what was done with the character designs here. It was like a cross between the movie realistic style they push for in the series and a cartoonier style and I thought it worked well here.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

CNC
am I the only one who thinks Berdly reminds me of Mordecai?
The Count: That's seven, seven shows rejected by Nickelodeon. Ah ah ah!

Apparently, Cassandra Peterson has been in a relationship with a woman for 19 years.

Is there a name for the art style Google and other companies use in their advertising? It has to have an official name if so many groups are using it.

Featured Posts