"Marvel Rising" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyke

I don't know why it's so hard for Marvel cartoons to have brighter coloring and more prominent shading in their shows.

Is it a budget thing that everything has to feel so de-saturated?

It's partly because of budget and partly because they have people in high positions of power (Quesada and Loeb) who don't understand and/or don't care how animation works and what makes a great looking cartoon.

Marvel/DCfan

Personally, Spider-Man is the show that these designs look closest to. Captain Marvel definitely looks the same as she did in her Marvel Super Hero Adventures short. I was thinking the art Kidscreen used might be closest to final product but that was pretty different, too.

View attachment 125332 View attachment 125342

Has there been a consistent look for Squirrel Girl yet?

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
I wouldn’t be surprised if she had that same look in Panthers Quest also

Takao

Fight the darkness all around
I'm not sure why you guys are surprised by the inevitable lowend nature of this production. Marvel's famous characters have poorly made animated TV shows, the ones made to appeal to the Tumblr demo aren't going to get better.

... What kind of an ad is that for a Father's Day promotion? Wouldn't they want to you know, maybe highlight actual fathers in the Marvel universe?

Barbossa

Marvel wants their super hero girls type franchise lol...do they think this cheap looking abomination would do the trick? Even very young kids will be put off by it...

TheLemsterPju

Sometimes the amount of negativity in this forum can be very overwhelming. It seems like certain folks come out of the woodwork after a long absence just when a discussion gets more like this.

I'm going in with a open mind. I don't like everything Marvel does, but I feel like open-mindedness is sorely lacking in this community.

Last edited:

Capt.Traphouse

Sexiest Thing Since Sex
I'm not sure why you guys are surprised by the inevitable lowend nature of this production. Marvel's famous characters have poorly made animated TV shows, the ones made to appeal to the Tumblr demo aren't going to get better.

... What kind of an ad is that for a Father's Day promotion? Wouldn't they want to you know, maybe highlight actual fathers in the Marvel universe?
Probably because they're mostly crap.

J'Son, Thanos, Norman, Magneto and Zemo aren't the best daddies. I mean even Odin, Wolverine and T'Chanka have a lot of faults.

PapaGreg

Open bar knock yourself out
Well I like Squirrel Girl's design but other than that I feel as if the designs lack any kind of personality. While I wasn't too crazy with Rise of the Turtles at least that had some sort of style and carem this meanwhile looks bland.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Probably because they're mostly crap.

J'Son, Thanos, Norman, Magneto and Zemo aren't the best daddies. I mean even Odin, Wolverine and T'Chanka have a lot of faults.
He's not biological but Uncle Ben was a great father figure. Reed is when he's not wrapped up in his work. Tony was pretty great in Next Avengers. T'Chaka was good to his kids. Anya's dad was good. MC2 Peter was good. He didn't always make the best choices but Battlin Jack loved Matt. lol Most of these weren't in animation but there are some good Marvel dads if you dig a bit.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
March 25th:
More comments, from Comic Book Revolution's coverage of the WonderCon panel:
They then talk about Marvel Rising that will start with six animated shorts that leads into the animated movie. Chloe Bennet returning to voice Quake was announced along with the rest of the cast. Marvel Rising will target kids and introduce them to fan favorite characters that aren’t known to the mainstream audience. Eric Radomski talks about how Marvel Rising will have anime influence with Marvel working along with a Japanese animation studio for the shorts and movie.
Mairghread Scott talks about how Ghost-Spider (Spider-Gwen) is the main character of the shorts. Squirrel Girl will be a comedic center of the show. Her friendship with Kamala Khan’s will be a core piece of the story as well. Exile and Hala character designs are also show during the panel. Footage of Marvel Rising is not shown but Cori Lane mentions that they will show more in the summer.

April 3rd:
The audio isn't that great, but here's a recording of the Marvel Rising portion from the Marvel Animation panel:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I had been wondering the whole time if Gwen would really be in the movie. Having her as the main protagonist of the shorts is a cool way to have her lead in what is essentially a short feature, sort of like what they did with Wolverine ages ago. It would still be awesome if she appeared in the movie somewhere though.

Having Kamala and Squirrel Girl as the leads of the movie doesn't feel too surprising since they're the focus of the one-shot comic, too. They should make for one peppy lead duo.

With them working with a Japanese studio on this, I really hope that will bring some smoother, better looking animation. I do wonder what studio though. My first thought would have been Madhouse, due to the continuous relationship, but that doesn't have to necessarily be the case.

spyke

March 25th:
More comments, from Comic Book Revolution's coverage of the WonderCon panel:

April 3rd:
The audio isn't that great, but here's a recording of the Marvel Rising portion from the Marvel Animation panel:

I'm glad that they are going with a Japanese animation studio and are going for an anime look and feel for the shorts and film. So if nothing else, at least this project might look nice and have decent animation.

Roxas_Sora

I would have liked to see these teen heroes in "Ultimate Spider-Man". We could have seen the origin of at least three members of the Champions (Miles Morales, Kamala and Sam Alexander). We also have Amadeus, but he's covering the role of Iron Spider instead of the Totally Awesome Hulk.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Tyler Posey talked a little about this project.

"It's really female-oriented. It's really cool. It's been really fun. My character is super angsty and edgy, which I don't really get to play too often. But it shows females being the hero, and kind of being the leaders of the group, and that's what we need right now. I'm super impressed with how it's turning out, because it's not forced. You know? It's perfectly natural and organic."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts