"Marvel Rising" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spyke

Still not very clear, since Secret Warriors doesn't have an "iconic" line up.

And Kamala isn't on too many teams, she's only in two(Champions and Secret Warriors). Two isn't too many to count.

Also, "iconic" and "classic" are two different things. In any case, it has more ties to the Secret Warriors than just Quake, Kamala's and Dante's inclusion does count.

SECRET WARRIORS itself, isn't even iconic or popular. The book (both the original series and the current series) never sold well and the current series is being cancelled.

RoryWilliams

Much like the Young Justice TV show, this seems more like the case of the studio having an idea for a team of teenage superheroes and just using a random name they happened to have a trademark on. The Secret Warriors were never particularly successful in any incarnation, unfortunately (which is a shame since the most recent series was rather fun).

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
I wouldn't say Young Justice because they're basically using characters for the sake of using characters and not in the name of copying great storylines from the comics. This feels more like a cash in on DC Superhero Girls.

Frontier

Staff member
I just wonder what's so "Secret" about them.

A few of them have secret identities but otherwise this doesn't seem like a very covert team.

RoryWilliams

I wouldn't say Young Justice because they're basically using characters for the sake of using characters and not in the name of copying great storylines from the comics.

Young Justice was never about copying great storylines from the comics, so I don't know why you'd even say that. By Greg Weisman's own account, they never intended for it to be an adaptation of the comic by that name. They liked the name and thought it fit with what they were doing, the company already owned the trademark on it, so it's what they used.

Marvel/DCfan

Will the animation be similar to spider-man: into the spider verse or will it be like a regular cartoon animation?

KombatMaster94

I doubt this is going to look like Into the Spider-Verse but I also doubt this is going to look much like the current Marvel cartoons.

I'm just hoping for good, mature writing and a presentable art style with shading and good animation. At the least it should look like DC Superhero Girls, and if Jeph Loeb's not involved (I didn't see his name in the credits) it should work out. Loeb wasn't involved in the Rocket and Groot and Ant-Man shorts and those turned out great.

spyke

Will the animation be similar to spider-man: into the spider verse or will it be like a regular cartoon animation?

My guess is that this will most likely be regular cell animation with the usual CGI for vehicles and machines thrown in. This movie will also most likely be a straight to DVD release.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Cort Lane talked about the project in this interview on Marvel.com
https://news.marvel.com/tv/83354/ma...marvel-rising-and-guardians-mission-breakout/
Marvel.com: You mentioned “Marvel Rising,” so let’s wrap up discussing that. What can you say about the characters you’re including in that project and the relationships?
Cort Lane: I have some favorites in the cast, so it’s hard…
Marvel.com: Well, you’re wearing one of them on your shirt!
Cort Lane: Oh my god, yes! This is one of my three favorites. They’re all great characters… actually I have four favorites. But that’s pretty much half the cast! But for those reading this, I am wearing a Ghost-Spider shirt, which is the official super hero name for Spider-Gwen, because she can’t go around telling people she’s Spider-Gwen. That’s not a good secret identity! [Laughs] What’s really wonderful is that even though there’s great action stories and big Earth-saving plots, the stories are really about the relationships of these characters. They are teenagers. They’re just figuring out their place in the world. They want to be big time super heroes and they don’t know how to get there. Now they can help each other, and with a little help from mentors, they can learn even more. But most of all, by being friends and good teammates, they grow a lot. The kids who are going to watch this, they define themselves to a large extent based on their relationships in their social circle. They’re making friends and they’re dealing with the ups and downs of friendships and bullies and people who are difficult and how you negotiate that at school and outside of the home. These characters have to deal with that in a much more dramatic way.
The most grounded relationship is between Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel. They’re best friends – best super hero friends. And they don’t always get along and they don’t always agree. Because, frankly, Squirrel Girl is very goofy and Ms. Marvel has a lot of anxiety about a lot of things and expectations of herself that are too high. So as they come together as part of this team, and as they work through these adventures, they come in conflict but they make up as friends. It’s very relatable. Also, Gwen’s story is super compelling in the shorts. She’s on the run from her father, the police captain who she adores as Gwen, and all the while he doesn’t know that his daughter is actually this super-powered character. Her personal story is very sweet.
Marvel.com: Through the years, you’ve seen a lot of actors getting to voice these iconic Marvel characters. Is it safe to say that the cast of “Marvel Rising” is very excited to be a part of this and to be playing these roles?
Cort Lane: Frankly, the whole cast were so excited about something like this – teenagers making their own way in the world, but with such an inclusive cast of characters and predominantly female. Six female characters and only two male characters. When we showed the initiative to boys, they were just like, as long as there is great action and great powers, we’re fine. But for girls it was really meaningful. For the female cast members, they feel this sense of importance and significance. This is a really dramatic, exciting, relatable super hero story about characters that are just like you, but they just happen to be females for the most part and they come from different backgrounds like everybody does. So it really reflects the world that we live in.

Frontier

Staff member
Cort Lane talked about the project in this interview on Marvel.com
https://news.marvel.com/tv/83354/ma...marvel-rising-and-guardians-mission-breakout/
It sounds like we'll be seeing a lot of the character's personal lives and development in this project, which sounds good :).

So is there some reason Gwen can't go by Spider-Woman in this? Y'know, her official codename in the comics? They're acting like she needs another codename so doesn't have to go by "Spider-Gwen" even though she has one :confused:.

Never really thought of Ms. Marvel and Squirrel Girl as best friends, but hopefully they have a good dynamic here ;).

It's nice to see Marvel learn that boys don't mind cartoons with a lot of girls in it so long as the action and powers are cool :cool:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.

Featured Posts