"Marvel Rising: Initiation" Animated Shorts Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss these "Marvel Rising" Animated Shorts!

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 1 25.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Stand Out. Rise Together. The next generation of Marvel heroes debut in Marvel Rising: Initiation, tonight at 7:30PM ET on Disney XD!

Marvel Rising: Initiation
Debut - August 13th, 2018
Written by - Mairghread Scott
Directed by - Alfred Gimeno

As we approach the premiere of the new animated movie Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors, Disney XD will premiere a series of six animated shorts featuring these new and diverse characters. All of the shorts premiere tonight on Disney XD, but they are also scheduled to be released on the Marvel HQ YouTube channel as well later on. Also, keep in mind the animated movie will premiere sometime this Fall.

Synopsis: Gwen Stacy AKA Ghost-Spider, wrongly accused of a crime she didn’t commit, seeks justice and to clear her name. Unfortunately, her dad is not only Captain of the NYPD, but spearheading the manhunt!

To make matters worse, other young heroes - Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, Quake and Patriot are after Ghost Spider as well. But, as the chase to uncover the truth winds down— a darker threat looms along the horizon, and very soon, these heroes will need to put aside their differences and work together as a team.

Cast -
Dove Cameron -- Gwen Stacy/Ghost-Spider
Kathleen Khavari – Kamala Khan/Ms. Marvel
Kamil McFadden – Rayshaun Lucas/Patriot
Chloe Bennet – Daisy Johnson/Quake
Milana Vayntrub – Doreen Green/Squirrel Girl

Marvel Rising: Initiation and Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors are executive produced by Joe Quesada, Dan Buckley, Cort Lane, and Eric Radomski; co-executive produced by Stan Lee, Sana Amanat, and Marsha Griffin.

Episode titles -
Mission: Ghost Hunter
While pursuing the criminal responsible for her best friend's death, Ghost-Spider is mistakenly accused of the crime by both SHIELD and the NYPD.

Floor Toms Spider Webs
As Ghost-Spider deals with the loss of her friend, she continues hunting for the culprit while also trying to keep up appearances with her friends and bandmates.

BFHF
Best friends, Ms. Marvel and Squirrel Girl, join forces to apprehend an alleged super-hero-turned-vigilante: Ghost-Spider.

Two on One
Finally confronting Ghost-Spider, Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel discover that there's more to this villain than meets the eye.

The Stories They Tell
Ghost-Spider finally gets the chance to tell her side of the story when she's captured by Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel.

The Secrets We Keep
Ghost-Spider's run from the law finally ends when she's caught by SHIELD agents Patriot and Quake, but everything changes when her true identity is revealed.

Use this thread to discuss these Marvel Rising animated shorts!

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Other relevant links:
"Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors" Animated Feature Pre-Release News & Discussion (Spoilers)

The Marvel HQ YouTube Channel

Last edited:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I enjoyed these shorts. I'm an easy sell but I liked the writing and the action setups, etc. I just wish that there was background art that matched the animation a bit more and that there were a couple of shorts more to probably provide a full half hour. I look forward to seeing what they do with the movie.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Marvel Rising: Initiation

The animation here is a step up from other Marvel projects, but frankly, the same thing was true for the shorts and first episode of Marvel's Spider-Man before the quality greatly dipped. We'll see if this can be sustained.

The writing is not that great. But it's better than DC Super Hero Girls, and not actually painful to listen to (for the most part). I think unlike Superhero Girls, this has a shot of getting a few boy fans. It's a lot more gender neutral in that regard.

My favorite character so far is Quake although I like Ms. Marvel, Squirrel Girl, and Ghost Spider too. Still not sold on Patriot or Gloria yet. And Captain Stacy seems like a jerk.

I look forward to see where they go with this in the movie and then possibly a series. ***1/2.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
And Captain Stacy seems like a jerk.
He thinks a reckless vigilante murdered a good, innocent kid that he knew and watched grow up due to the boy being incredibly close to his own daughter. I think it's pretty understandable that this situation would make his blood boil.

Last edited:

SweetShop209

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
He thinks a reckless vigilante murdered a good, innocent kid that he knew and watched grow up due to the boy being incredibly close to his own daughter. I think it's pretty understandable that this situation would make his blood boil.

Stewing on that a bit. That sounds right. And yet, I can't help but think that if he WASN'T a jerk, he'd be less sure it was Ghost Spider. The only evidence they have against her is that she was there. She has no motive, and has claimed innocence, and protected the public before this. It sounds like Stacy just wants to railroad her to close the case, rather than catch the actual guilty culprit.

Troy Troodon

Boy, wouldn't it be a real twist if it turns out the knife woman was also set up and she's trying to avoid getting caught?!

Frontier

Staff member
I thought this was a pretty fun series of shorts. This is definitely one of the better looking Marvel Animated production in a while, setting aside the French produced short series, with very fluid animation and bright colors, although still lacking that refinement and production values of other major Superhero cartoons. Still, I enjoyed watching it and look forward to more from the Marvel Rising project :).

Can we just go ahead and all agree this is a completely new, standalone, animated universe with no bearing or connection to the other Marvel cartoons beyond Ms. Marvel having the same VA? I'd rather save us all the trouble of racking our heads on how any of this would fit into the current show continuity (such as it is) :eek:.

Considering Spider-Man is Marvel's flagship character, I thought it was fitting that our initial introduction into this animated universe would be through a Spider-Hero. I also appreciated getting an adaption of Gwen Stacy as a Spider-Woman that actually gets her personality and status quo from the comics right ;).

So how they heck did Gwen end up getting called Ghost Spider? Is it because the white in her costume makes her look "Ghoully?" Did she get mistaken for a ghost by the general public? Because othersiwe I really don't know why anyone would call her that :confused:.

I don't know whether it's funny or ridiculous that we have Mary Jane Watson, Glory Grant, and Captain Stacy all popping up in this when none of them have even really appeared in the actual current Spider-Man cartoon (Mary Jane was stuck in a costume and George has only been mentioned). I guess Betty's been in both, even if she didn't really look at all like Betty Brant here, but she still didn't get any lines :(.

Steven Weber is once again hunting a Spider-Person, only this time it's on the right side of the law. Honestly, compared to his Osborn and Beyonder, I think I like Weber's Captain Stacy the most out of his Marvel roles, if only because it felt like a more natural and nuanced performance compared to when he voiced those other two characters :cool:.

Max Mittelman voicing Kevin was kind of amusing, given he went from voicing Harry Osborn to voicing a Peter Parker stand-in with Iceman's powers. I guess they didn't actually use Peter here because they didn't want to saddle Gwen with the death of a major character like Peter Parker, and for all we know Spider-Man might actually exist in this universe :ack:.

Patriot reminded me of the old cartoon version of Falcon, with this teenage wiz kid trained by Captain America, although that's truer to the comics then it was in the case of Falcon :sweat:.

Having this all come back to the Inhumans makes this feel like it was produced 2-3 years ago, back when all the cartoons had to tie-in to the Inhumans because they were supposedly going to have a movie. Which seems kind of silly in hindsight :p.

Squirrel Girl and Ms. Marvel's team-up against Ghost Spider was pretty fun. This version of Squirrel Girl's enthusiam and geekiness was really entertaining, and it was nice to see a more in-character version of Kamala after her Marvel's Spider-Man appearance. Although I'm kind of surprised they didn't make fun of how impractical calling out your attacks would be in a real life situation (and I say that as a huge anime fan) :rolleyes2:.

Y'know, considering how effective Tippy Toe was against Gwen here, I'm kind of surprised the girls didn't start out with the giant squirrel army :anime:.

I was hoping that "Watch Me Rise" song would end up being the theme song for Marvel Rising and we'd get to have an actual opening theme for a Marvel cartoon again, although I'm not surprised to see it relegated to the ending credits :sad:.

Considering the movie is supposed to be centered around Hala as a villain, I'm kind of wondering if we're going to see any kind of follow-up to this Ghost Spider plot, although I guess if it's connected to the Inhumans....
Was the music Dynamic Music Partners? It reminds me a bit of the Spectacular Spider-Man score.
The action music, especially when Ghost Spider fought Patriot, sounded a heck of a lot like a remix of some of Spectacular's themes :D.

Last edited:

SweetShop209

All the shorts were uploaded into one video. They include an end credits scene which reveals that the voice director is Kristi Reed (Clarence, OK KO, Vampirina)

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
In opposition to Gwen, Doreen and Kamala got to be two offbeat goofballs that work together effectively and take Gwen down. I hope that we get some more character depth than that when they headline Secret Warriors. I don't expect them to be any less goofy but I hope we're able to at least see what makes them tick.

I was hoping that "Watch Me Rise" song would end up being the theme song for Marvel Rising and we'd get to have an actual opening theme for a Marvel cartoon again, although I'm not surprised to see it relegated to the ending credits :sad:.

I'm not too mad that the shorts didn't have a full theme. The little intro and outro were already breaking the flow as I watched them go from one short to the other. It would be disappointing if the movie didn't have an opening though. Every Marvel animated movie up to Avengers Confidential had one but they stayed with the lackluster 10 second title flip for both Frost Fight and Where Monsters Dwell. I really hope that they came up with a memorable intro for Secret Warriors.

SweetShop209

I'm sure they'll have a longer intro for the actual movie. I mean, it stars Dove Cameron, and has a character voiced by Skai Jackson. Having at least two Disney Channel stars in it should be enough incentive to have a longer intro.

Mr.O

I felt this was quite a step up from Marvel' other animated fair, but I thought the same about the current Spider-Man initially, and that turned out ... not quite as good, so I'll be cautiously optimistic here. I'll admit going in expecting this to be just like Marvel's TV animations caused me to be a bit surprised by some of the darker moments (the liberal use of the word "death," Kevin's dead body, Kevin's funeral). I mean, they weren't that dark, but they wouldn't really fly on the TV shows, I guess.

Gwen was probably the highlight for me, but that's kind of a given since she was the main focus. It's always hard to touch, let alone capture a spider-person, and Gwen wasn't an exception. I do wonder if Peter still exists in this universe, and what his role in it may be. Gwen, MJ, Capt. Stacy are here. It would be odd if Peter didn't exist, and interesting at the same time.

I really liked this take on Kamala and Squirrel girl. I'm glad to see that they both get to retain their fangirly-ness despite them being constantly juxtaposed. They could've simply made Kamala the no nonsense foil to Doreen, since she was recently portayed in that light on Spider-Man. I wonder if they'll try to make a little distinction between the two characters by bringing them closer to the comics, (Kamala being more of a pop culture fanatic, while Doreen is more of a superhero nut) .

Not much to say about Quake and Patriot. But I did like how perceptive and savvy Daisy was here. Anyone familiar with heroics (which a SHIELD agent should be) could tell that all the flags were here for a misunderstanding between the authorities and Ghost-Spider.

George Stacy seemed like a mix of his Earth 65/Spider-Gwen comic's counterpart and James Jonah Jameson. He's a respected NYC citizen with great authority, loudly championing the view that Ghost-Spider is a menace, but at the same time, it's obviously very personal to him due to how close he was to Peter Kevin.

As a side, does anyone know if the actual culprit in Kevin's murder an existing character? Her power seems to sort of be a mix of Cloak and Dagger's?

Stewing on that a bit. That sounds right. And yet, I can't help but think that if he WASN'T a jerk, he'd be less sure it was Ghost Spider. The only evidence they have against her is that she was there. She has no motive, and has claimed innocence, and protected the public before this. It sounds like Stacy just wants to railroad her to close the case, rather than catch the actual guilty culprit.
I guess it depends on whether or not he was a jerk before Kevin's death. To me, it just seems like personal grief getting in the way of possible facts.

TheLemsterPju

As a side, does anyone know if the actual culprit in Kevin's murder an existing character? Her power seems to sort of be a mix of Cloak and Dagger's?

It's Sheath; a member of Lash's Tribe.
latest?cb=20140806220734.png

spyke

This was surprisingly really good. The story,the art,the animation,and the use of shading/shadows was good (not great). This was definitely a step up/improvement on Marvel Animation's current in house animated projects. The people behind this micro series/upcoming movie,the current SPIDER-MAN cartoon,and the upcoming season of AVENGERS ASSEMBLE PANTHER'S QUEST should have been the people put in charge of Marvel Animation when Marvel decided to bring their animation production in house.

The only strike this show has against it is some of the stupid comedic scenes (like Tippey Toe being able to keep up with Ghost-Spider and is able to chew through her webs) and this story tying into Marvel's (now outdated and obsolete) effort to push he Inhumans as a replacement for mutants.

Last edited:

Mr.O

This was surprisingly really good. The story,the art,the animation,and the use of shading/shadows was good (not great). This was definitely a step up/improvement on Marvel Animation's current in house animated projects. The people behind this micro series/upcoming movie,the current SPIDER-MAN cartoon,and the upcoming season of AVENGERS ASSEMBLE PANTHER'S QUEST should have been the people put in charge of Marvel Animation when Marvel decided to bring their animation production in house.

The only strike this show has against it is some of the stupid comedic scenes (like Tippey Toe being able to keep up with Ghost-Spider and is able to chew through her webs) and this story tying into Marvel's (now outdated and obsolete) effort to push he Inhumans as a replacement for mutants.
Lol, those Inhuman references almost felt as if they were referencing a 2 year old meme. Which is odd since the Inhumans were always a part of Marvel lore.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts