"Marvel Rising: Heart of Iron" Animated Special Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this new "Marvel Rising" Special!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Check out the newest entry in the Marvel Rising franchise! Marvel Rising: Heart of Iron, a brand-new animated Special, premieres today at 4pm PT/7pm ET on the Marvel HQ YouTube channel!

Marvel Rising: Heart of Iron
Debut - April 3rd, 2019
Written by - Margaret Dunlap
Directed by - Sol Choi
Supervising Director - Alfred Gimeno
Executive Producers - Joe Quesada, Dan Buckley, Cort Lane, Eric Radomski
Co-Executive Producers - Stan Lee, Sana Amanat, Marsha Griffin

Synopsis: Marvel Rising: Heart of Iron introduces Riri Williams a.k.a. Ironheart to the Marvel Rising universe, voiced by Sofia Wylie (Andi Mack). In this 44-minute special, we find Riri Williams adjusting to college life and feeling socially isolated because she is younger than the other students. After Hala the Accuser destroys the school’s engineering lab and kidnaps Riri’s best friend, Riri finds inspiration in her hero Iron Man and hatches a plan to defeat Hala and save the day.

Marvel Rising: Heart of Iron stars Sofia Wylie as Riri Williams a.k.a. Ironheart, and features Ming-Na Wen as Hala, Kim Raver as Captain Marvel, Dove Cameron as Ghost-Spider, Tyler Posey as Inferno, Chloe Bennet as Quake, Cierra Ramirez as America Chavez, Milana Vayntrub as Squirrel Girl, Kathreen Khavari as Ms. Marvel, Kamil McFadden as Patriot, Dee Bradley Baker as Lockjaw/Tippy-Toe, Mick Wingert as Iron Man, and Melanie Minichino as A.M.I.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Other relevant links:
"Marvel Rising" News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)
"Marvel Rising: Chasing Ghosts" Animated Special Talkback (Spoilers)
"Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
"Marvel Rising: Initiation" Animated Shorts Talkback (Spoilers)

The Marvel HQ YouTube channel

Dudley

Staff member
Saw it wished I hadn't it was boring, mediocre and predictable.

Yeah, it was a little lame. I thought we see Ironheart do more in her suit, but then again, she wasn’t that interesting. I feel like with all these characters, a lot of them don’t have enough time for their personality to shine. It also feels that Squirrel Girl hogs the spotlight a little more than the others.

bigdaddy313

Man the Background is very distracting, why does it have to have blinding light for the colourist to do their job properly with shading on the character.

This one was ok, it wasn't boring but it was close, which means I am only watching it once.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Man the Background is very distracting, why does it have to have blinding light for the colourist to do their job properly with shading on the character.

This one was ok, it wasn't boring but it was close, which means I am only watching it once.
Marvel Animation has had some bad backgrounds and coloring, etc since Avengers Assemble. It's a shame that Marvel Rising had to suffer from of that too.

I wish there was more of Riri in the Ironheart armor. I like the suit so it was a shame that it only debuted during the final scene. It's interesting that they only just started playing around with characters having real crushes and such. It does feel as though Squirrel Girl got more screen time than she probably should have in comparison to the rest of the team. I like how Riri's backstory was handled. It sucked that the AI was destroyed. Ghost Spider is my fave so she felt barely used.

I hope they move on from Hala as the villain after this. I'm ready to see some new ( to the team) antagonists.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Marvel Rising: Heart Of Iron

Not as great as Secret Warriors, but miles better than Chasing Ghosts.

I love the fact that Daisy is the one who is reamed for Doreen's mistakes. And interestingly, she doesn't later rant at the team, even though I personally think she should have. It was a very adult, mature moment to have the person in trouble for the fiasco be Daisy.

"That's a choice." Proving once and for all Tony Stark is the d-word of the year.

For some reason, the idea that Tippy can actually follow Quake's orders doesn't sit right with me.

I really enjoyed this special. I love this franchise. ****.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I don't think it's on any service beside YouTube at the moment. I think it will be on DisneyNow soon enough. I think DisneyNow and YouTube was the only way any of these have been made available so far.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
"Chasing Ghosts" was added to DisneyNow 2 weeks after being uploaded to YouTube. I imagine there might be a similar situation here, but nothing was announced yet (unless I missed it). I'm pretty sure it will be available on the app, eventually.

Frontier

Staff member
I thought this special did a good job of debuting Riri, at least as far as being true to the comics of her being an absurdly intelligent girl at a young age who makes being Iron Man look easy, but feels closed off from the losses in her life and needing to "rebuild" her heart into one made of iron (hence the codename). I thought the underscored symbolism of what the Iron Man armor means to Riri was pretty nice, and Sofia Wyle, while not fitting the voice I had for Riri in my head, did a solid job in the role here :cool:.

It's so weird to see a Marvel cartoon that plays around with characters having crushes or attractions to each other. I'm so used to constant platonic relationships or romance never even coming up that it's taking me a minute to get used to it again o_O.

I guess Iron Man was one of The Avengers who weren't all that enthused about the Secret Warriors program. Seriously though, Tony was a pretty big jerk here, especially compared to some of his other animated depictions. I thought it was weird that there was never any kind of direct encounter between Riri and Tony, but maybe it's for the best that she didn't meet him :eek:.

Did they really need to use the Marvel's Spider-Man animated design for the Iron Man suit? It's so busy :ack:.

I found it kind of amusing that Riri's old friend was voiced by Daisy Lightfoot, since she's also the cartoon voice of Shuri who is generally now depicted as pretty much the Wakandan equivalent of Riri :anime:.

It was cool to see the show showcasing more of Daisy's leadership skills, her conflict over it, and seeing her step up to the plate over her own insecurities. I wasn't so sure why she was appointed leader at first, but now I can totally buy her as the girl in charge of the Secret Warriors ;).

I totally think Carl is like Commissioner Gordon, where he probably knows exactly what the teen heroes are really doing but goes along with their act so they can keep face :elle:.

Hala didn't destroy the Earth, but she did basically get what she wanted, which was off Earth and back to the Kree. It'll be interesting to see if we see her again and if the Kree might become recurring antagonists. Kinda disappointed we didn't get to see the Supreme Intelligence :evil:.

I feel like Squirrel Girl has "Harley Quinn snydrome" where she's the member of the team with the most lively and outgoing personality so she tends to hog the limelight more then others. I think she's really fun, but she is a bit of scene stealer :sweat:.

So was that father rude to Kamala because he thought she was an Inhuman? Did he just not like Superheroes in general? And why did the little girl look absolutely nothing like her parents? Is she adopted? Why am I focusing so much on this :general:?

I really feel like AMI's death would've meant more had we gotten more time to get to know her, but I guess we could feel for how meaningful it was for Riri to sacrifice her friend :(.

I love how they promote Riri in her actual comic armor so much but then she only ends up using it for five seconds at the very end of the special. Talk about false advertising :rolleyes2:.
Haven't watched it yet, but thought this was pretty cool. Looks like there's a character modeled after Robbie Daymond.
It's kind of funny that they bring in Robbie for a Marvel production but instead of reprising Spider-Man they just put Robbie himself into the cartoon :p.

Seriously though, does Spider-Man exist in this universe? No one brings him up in relation to Ghost Spider and Squirrel Girl comments about a "dude dressed as a spider" (while saving Robbie's character) and I doubt she was talking about Gwen :confused:.
I think 40 mins is the ideal length for these specials.

I agree. Compared to "Chasing Ghosts" it felt like all of the team got more to do here and got more individual character moments :).

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
So was that father rude to Kamala because he thought she was an Inhuman? Did he just not like Superheroes in general? And why did the little girl look absolutely nothing like her parents? Is she adopted? Why am I focusing so much on this :general:?

I thought it might be a bit of prejudice though he could just as easily be thinking that the heroes could be to blame for the danger. It wasn't as overt as in Pryde of the X-Men, when the team save a family. Nightcrawler hands the kid her dropped toy and the dad grabs her away, saying "Get away from her, you filthy mutie!" We just get a stern look and a lack of gratitude, and it works in an open ended way.

I was just rewatching this because it was up on DisneyNow, and I have to say that I enjoyed it more the second time around.

Capt.Traphouse

Sexiest Thing Since Sex
Saw it wished I hadn't it was boring, mediocre and predictable.

Just like Riri herself. Another day, another black hero motivated by street violence in the hood to be a hero.

Ironheart sucks because she's a black character written by white people who have seemingly never met a black person.

Last edited:

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Just like Riri herself. Another day, another black hero motivated by street violence in the hood to be a hero.

Ironheart sucks because she's a black character written by white people who have seemingly never met a black person.
Is that the comic origin? I think her stepdad was killed in a car accident here.

Frontier

Staff member
Is that the comic origin? I think her stepdad was killed in a car accident here.

I think either her biological father or stepdad were killed by gang violence, although both ended up dead :sweat:.

I think the best friend character that they used here was also killed by gang violence in the comics.

Capt.Traphouse

Sexiest Thing Since Sex
It's weird because Bendis also created Miles Morales too who everyone loves because he's not a stereotype.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Alex Dudley's DToons YouTube channel is back after being hacked a couple of weeks ago. Good news.

Take a look at these cool posters.

Rebecca and Ian are LEGENDS!
If you want an example of what truly all-ages animation is, I can't think of a better recent example than Bluey's "The Sign". I have more to say, but you'll be hearing from me again ;)
aegisrawks wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
I loved your post in that Nick thread. I really dislike Nick's mentality of "It didnt outdo the Super Bowl, CANCEL IT NAO" and I am so glad you agree, even if you are more realistic and more wise.
It seems evidently that, despite being completed, ''Walpurgisnacht Rising'' hasn't been released yet. What do you think?

Featured Posts