"Marvel Rising: Chasing Ghosts" Animated Special Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate & Discuss this new "Marvel Rising" Special!

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • ****1/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Check out the newest entry in the Marvel Rising franchise! Marvel Rising: Chasing Ghosts, a brand-new 22-minute animated Special premieres today on the Marvel HQ YouTube channel at 4:00PM PT/7:00PM ET!

Marvel Rising: Chasing Ghosts
Debut - January 16th, 2019
Written by - Mairghread Scott
Directed by - Alfred Gimeno
Executive Producers - Joe Quesada, Dan Buckley, Cort Lane, Eric Radomski
Co-Executive Producers - Stan Lee, Sana Amanat, Marsha Griffin

Synopsis: The brand-new Special follows fan-favorite Ghost-Spider teaming-up with the Secret Warriors to bring down the villains Sheath and Exile for good. Can team leader Quake convince Ghost-Spider to join the team for good?

Marvel Rising: Chasing Ghosts stars Dove Cameron as Ghost-Spider, and features the return of Tyler Posey as Inferno, Chloe Bennet as Quake, Cierra Ramirez as America Chavez, Booboo Stewart as Exile, Milana Vayntrub as Squirrel Girl, Kathreen Khavari as Ms. Marvel, Kamil McFadden as Patriot, Skai Jackson as Gloria Grant, Dee Bradley Baker as Lockjaw/Tippy-Toe, Steven Weber as Captain Stacy, Tara Strong as Mary Jane Watson, and Amanda C. Miller as Sheath.

Comments?

Mod Note: We appreciate and encourage discussion, but please keep your posts civil, relevant and insightful. Please do not post any improper or inflammatory material, as we will issue warnings if we believe it necessary. And remember to keep the discussion ON-TOPIC!

Other relevant links:
"Marvel Rising" News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)
"Marvel Rising: Secret Warriors" Feature Talkback (Spoilers)
"Marvel Rising: Initiation" Animated Shorts Talkback (Spoilers)

The Marvel HQ YouTube channel

Frontier

Staff member
Ghost Spider really is a female Spider-Man. Quippy, misunderstood and wanted by the police, traditionally a loner, has difficulty juggling her double life, has Peter Parker's supporting cast, and prone to accidentally crashing into things. Pretty much tells me that nobody will be mentioning Spider-Man in this anytime soon :p.

Did anyone else get the sense that that "Excelsior Vegan" place was designed for a Stan Lee cameo? The shopkeeper looked a little like Stan, if not the exact likeness of the other cartoons. I guess it might have been more of a tribute then anything else...

It still boggles the mind that we've got a minor role Mary Jane in this when she isn't even in the actual Spider-Man cartoon :(.

The Secret Warriors weren't formed to actually actively stop bad guys, so I wonder how long before Carol finds out they've been going on missions and puts the kibbosh on things :ack:?

I still think Daisy has an issue of not telling Rayshaun things that he would probably be better off knowing. Might need to work on that :rolleyes:.

So did Cap actually train Patriot, or did he just give him a bunch of training videos and leave it from there :sweat:?

It was nice seeing Rayshaun and Doreen's relationship develop as they get to know one another better and Doreen gets Rayshaun to loosen up. She even brought him to her house and introduced him to her dad ;).

Spider-Tracers? Seriously, where does Ghost Spider get all her tech :confused:?

Ms. Marvel, Inferno, and Ms. America really didn't get much to do in this special, even if they acknowledged the former two's issue with Exile. It does make me a tad nervous about how the series will juggle all these heroes, but I guess there will probably be more specials to balance out the development for all the Secret Warriors :).

Exile and Sheath were decent antagonists for the special, even if I feel like they could've done more with them then just have them be beaten and arrested so soon by the end of the episode. Maybe dived into more of Gwen's cartharsis over bringing down Kevin's real killer :oops:.

I wonder if Captain Stacy's role on this show is going to develop into the police guy who's always hassling or trying to arrest the heroes? His stance on Ghost Spider seems to be softening up but he still seems set to be antagonistic towards the heroes :(.

So I guess Ghost Spider is a member of the team now? Maybe? It still seemed ambiguous as to whether she was joining or not. I wonder if she'll reveal her identity to the rest of the group, since she had her mask on while everybody was eating?

SweetShop209

Reporter
Staff member
Reporter
I know it's old hat to mention this at some point, though the franchise follows the template of the DC Superhero Girls movies and specials, focusing more on specific characters and certain dynamics over a team dynamic.

Frontier

Staff member
From Aunt May?
When was Aunt May a tech genius :p?
I know it's old hat to mention this at some point, though the franchise follows the template of the DC Superhero Girls movies and specials, focusing more on specific characters and certain dynamics over a team dynamic.
Although unlike DC Super Hero Girls this is based and focused around an actual team...

Last edited by a moderator:

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Marvel Rising "Chasing Ghosts"

Not as good as the Secret Warriors movie.

Captain Stacy is a jerk. And why doesn't he recognize his daughter's voice coming from Ghost-Spider?

I love Quake joining in the nutty bar thing at the beginning. She even triumphantly raises it over her head. That was funny.

"We did it!" Kill me now.

Like I said, not as good as the movie. But it was still pretty good. ***1/2.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I didn't know vegan donuts were a thing. I liked Chasing Ghosts, though probably not as much as Initiation or Secret Warriors for whatever reason. I should give it another watch.

It was nice to see the Sheath story wrap up. It's too bad that Capt. Stacy seemed to let his pride get in the way a bit when it came to admitting he was wrong about Ghost Spider but it's great that her innocence was proven. I hope we get to see Ghost and the team do something as a team soon.

Frontier

Staff member
Captain Stacy is a jerk. And why doesn't he recognize his daughter's voice coming from Ghost-Spider?
We're probably supposed to assume Gwen's mask effectively muffles her voice to the point where it's not recognizable.

And maybe Dove Cameron is subtly changing her Ghost Spider voice from her Gwen voice, although I don't think that's the case :sweat:.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Imagine a broadcast TV network giving someone who worked at the Golden Age of Cartoon Network the opportunity to worked on a show, and doing 8 interviews, only to completely ghosted him for weeks for absolutely no reason.

Try to wrap your head around on that one, folks.

Seriously. Explain that to me, Memorable Entertainment Television? :/
Didn't notice that the site was back...

I'll start off by saying X-Men 97 has been a blast to watch. As someone who grew up exposed to the films and cameos on other shows, it was definitely a different treat seeing how both iterations of the franchise handle the characters and their world.
Professor X's speech in today's episode was powerful ... nuff said.
I've ground my wisdom tooth down overtime so that I can clench my jaw properly again. It's equal parts good and bad news.
Daffy Duck turns 87 today. Happy birthday to my favorite Looney Tune!

Featured Posts