Marvel Movie Universe

sdp

miscrave
I am not really a Marvel fan, but with all the recent live action Marvel movies, have there been any hints at connecting them all on one universe, or even contradicting another movie making it impossible to connecy?

If not couldn't they ever make a big crossovermovie? I think that'd be really neat, even though i'm no a Marvel fan seeing a similar crossover comic event on the big screen would be great.

Eddie G.

Former Wolf/Writer.
Spiderman and Daredevil are connected by the Mtv cartoon and Dr. Strange was mentioned in Spiderman 2 (Sure he doesn't have his own movie but he's a superhero who exists in the movie world of another superhero).

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Apprantly, there's a scene in Fantastic Four which will connect that to the X-Men movies. Both of these films take place in the "not so distant future" so it's difficult to connect them to the likes of Hulk, Daredevil and The Punisher etc.

The Frog

Strummin' away
I think Spider-Man and X-Men are connected. I saw on a Marvel special that there was going to be a scene in Spider-Man where Stan Lee was selling sunglasses to a little girl. He says something like "These are like the ones the X-Men wear". So the X-Men do exist, but I suppose they could be a comic book in the Spider-Man universe or something.

MonkeyFunk

Kids and grown-ups love me so
The Frog said:
I think Spider-Man and X-Men are connected. I saw on a Marvel special that there was going to be a scene in Spider-Man where Stan Lee was selling sunglasses to a little girl. He says something like "These are like the ones the X-Men wear". So the X-Men do exist, but I suppose they could be a comic book in the Spider-Man universe or something.
I think it was "these are the ones they used in X-men", implying that he meant the movie.

audiecugi

I'd like to test that theory!
Eddie G. said:
Spiderman and Daredevil are connected by the Mtv cartoon and Dr. Strange was mentioned in Spiderman 2 (Sure he doesn't have his own movie but he's a superhero who exists in the movie world of another superhero).
I remember Dr. Strange being mentioned in Spiderman 2, but like sdp I'm not a huge Marvel fan. Who is he? What other Marvel movie is he in?

Sandoz

Thin Man Fan
The Thing was mentioned in Spider-Man ("I'm not The Thing!") so there's a possible connection between that movie and the upcoming FF film.

Enrique

I am that second mouse...
Unless the two franchises are produced by the same production company, there won't be movie crossovers. X-Men was co-produced by Fox, Spiderman by Columbia (now Sony), Hulk by Universal, and Punisher by Lions Gate, so don't expect a crossover between those movies. Fantastic Four was co-produced by Fox, so there's like a 25% change of an X-Men/FF movie there.

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter
Howdy,

So far, I think the Spider-Man movies are the ones that have made the most references to other Marvel characters, whether or not there are movies attached to them. In Spidey 1, there is the "I'm not the Thing" line during the wrestling match, and I've heard the story about the "these are the sunglasses the X-Men wear" line, too. Given the reputation the X-Men have in the Marvel Universe, I'd think that wouldn't be a selling point, making the idea that it's "these are the ones they wore in the movie" type of line more sensible.

Dr. Strange got mentioned in Spidey 2 when JJJ was trying to come up with a name for Doc Ock. He waves it off and says, "Ah, that one's already taken." Dr. Strange hasn't gotten a movie yet, but he's a fairly well-known supporting character in the comics who's had his own monthly series off and on over the years. I believe he's been optioned for a movie (nearly every major Marvel character has, it seems), but nothing solid has been announced.

I understand there was a deleted scene from Elektra that featured Ben Affleck as Matt Murdock/Daredevil, but I don't know that this counts since Elektra was a DD spinoff movie.

As Enrique said, unless the movies are made by the same production company, there will be no official crossover movies. Even if they are, I wouldn't expect it any time soon because it requires two successful franchises to make it worthwhile, but that automatically doubles the actor budget and sets up a pretty astronomical price tag for the movie up front.

-- Ed/Ace

David64

Ace the Bathound said:
As Enrique said, unless the movies are made by the same production company, there will be no official crossover movies. Even if they are, I wouldn't expect it any time soon because it requires two successful franchises to make it worthwhile, but that automatically doubles the actor budget and sets up a pretty astronomical price tag for the movie up front.

-- Ed/Ace

If Marvel was smart, they would have gave Spider-Man to Fox. X-Men and Spider-Man are the 2 most successful films they have and it would have been the best movies to do a team up with.

Squall

Calm Before The Storm
It's pretty ironic that the Marvel movies haven't crossed over yet, considering that Stan Lee's Marvel comics universe in the 1960's is the one who developed the idea of different superheroes all co-existing in the same "universe" in the first place! (DC comics picked up the idea and ran with it later.)

And I'm not talking about subtle one-line references either. I want to see real crossovers! :D I want to see Tobey MaGuire as Spider-Man make a cameo on an X-Men movie. How would Patrick Stewart's Professor X react to him? I want to see the X-Men meet the Fantastic Four in a future Marvel movie. It would be hilarious to see Hugh Jackman as Wolverine make a pass at Jessica Alba as the Invisible Woman! :p And let's not forget the villians! Imagine one of the members of the Brotherhood of Mutants making a guest appearance on Spider-Man, or Dr. Doom making a guest appearance on the X-Men.

If the actors & movie studios would be willing to work together, the possibilities could be endless!

Stu

Marvel Animation Age Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Squall said:
And I'm not talking about subtle one-line references either. I want to see real crossovers! :D I want to see Tobey MaGuire as Spider-Man make a cameo on an X-Men movie.
...Why? Spider-Man is about a guy blessed/cursed with powers and the responsibility to use them wisely. X-Men is about human, or rather mutant rights.

I like both franchises for what they are, but let them stick to their own stories, I say.

Enrique

I am that second mouse...
David64 said:
If Marvel was smart, they would have gave Spider-Man to Fox. X-Men and Spider-Man are the 2 most successful films they have and it would have been the best movies to do a team up with.
By your logic, why not give X-Men to Sony/Columbia? If you ask me, Columbia did a better job with Spiderman than Fox did with X-Men.

Ed Liu

Frog of Thunder
Staff member
Reporter
Howdy,

Squall said:
It's pretty ironic that the Marvel movies haven't crossed over yet, considering that Stan Lee's Marvel comics universe in the 1960's is the one who developed the idea of different superheroes all co-existing in the same "universe" in the first place! (DC comics picked up the idea and ran with it later.)
You're right on facts but off on the details. The first true comic book crossover was the team-up/battles between the Sub-Mariner and the Human Torch in 1940, in what was Timely Comics at the time and eventually evolved into Marvel. Afterwards, DC created the Justice Society of America, which pulled in characters from a variety of books, and had Batman/Superman team-ups long before Stan Lee kicked Marvel into high gear in 1963.

I'm not sure when it established, but the Green Hornet was a descendant of the Lone Ranger, which might make them an even earlier example of a crossover universe.

-- Ed/Ace

HellCat

Lesser spotted Brit
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
It's kinda like the 90's Marvel animated universe- it'd be nice to put them all togethor, but for whatever reason (possibly to avoid the 'outsider' feeling new readers of the comics can feel), there's little things that clash and put each series in it's own universe. I think for the films this is actually a plus- having one or two superheroes and the ocassional supervillain is more believable then a world where there's this whole culture of various heroes and villains. As Amazing Spidey touched on, this definetly works well for the likes of Spider-Man and X-Men which are stories about being different because of super powers, how the world responds to you and how you in turn behave. It would be difficult to feel for Xavier's 'gifted children' if in the same world there were people cheering on the Fantastic Four for example. I haven't really been keeping up with the latter's upcoming film, so I'll be interested to see how it handles the issue.

Damien

Watching
I'm not so big on crossover movies, although there are a few combinations that would be cool, but just tiny references would suffice. Like in Daredevil, there was no reason a Spider-Man reference couldn't have been thrown in. I am aware that the movie rights are owned by different companies, but no one is making money off a reference, so it shouldn't be a big deal, esp. since Marvel Enterprises should be having the final say.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts