"Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers (Anime Series)" News and Discussion (Spoilers)

spyke

There are no announced plans to bring Disk Wars: Avengers to nations outside of Japan. ;)

I think that ADW will head to American (and other country's) TV after AVENGERS ASSEMBLE ends.

Last edited by a moderator:

Freddy

I think that A:DW will head to American (and other country's) TV after AVENGERS ASSEMBLE ends.

Not saying that it won't happen, but I strongly doubt it. Disk Wars is not easy show to market, especially since Marvel wants everything to be like the movies.

spyke

Not saying that it won't happen, but I strongly doubt it. Disk Wars is not easy show to market, especially since Marvel wants everything to be like the movies.

The show has many elements taken from the movies, so I think that Marvel/Disney wouldn't have a problem marketing the show. After all, Disney released/aired the STITCH anime here in the states after the LILO AND STITCH series ended.

Episode #42

http://animatorscorner.com/animation_profile/115#episode-6559

Episode 42 information (2015-01-21)
Script
Masumoto Takuya King Ryu
Storyboard
Ogawa Koji (2)
Episode director
Ogawa Koji (2)
Animation supervisor
Ishikawa Osamu
Key animator
Shishikai Miyako Ota Akihiro Noji Kiyoshi Nii Hirotaka Ogata Daisuke Tomiki Yumiko Kakihara Tsuyoshi Saito Fumiyo Hirata Ayako Kinoshita Yui Kitano Kumiko Yamada Masashi (2) Ishikawa Osamu Eugene Ayson Romeo Ano-nuevo Dennis Cabrao Edmartin Christom Bobby de la Pena Cesar de Leon Reggie Manabat Malvin Mendoza Romel Pura Alfredo Reyes Frankin Taman Frederick Ulang Rhem Valencia ]

Episode Director Ogawa Kouji delivered a splendid storyboard for Episode #42. The layouts and selective use of the available sheets definitely added a sense of weight to each scene. Ogawa also displayed a fine understanding of digital compositing to achieve the night time look of the episode. This cut here uses the explosion generated by the death of the vampire to create a sort of orange-colored dust on the lens of a camera. It's a great effect that Ogawa used earlier in the episode when Blade sets off the fire sprinklers. Water on the camera lens and dust, too? This is the sort of filmmaking technique you don't see too often on other Toei Animation programs. Have any of the American cartoons tried techniques like this?

Episode #42 used twenty-six key animators. Ishikawa Osamu is the only credited animation supervisor, something that couldn't have been easy considering how many of the key animators were from the slower and typically less skilled Toei Animation Philippines.

Disk Wars: Avengers Episode 42 - Imgur

The storyline will continue into Episode #43 as Akira and Blade try to free the others from Baron Blood's control!

C.B. Cebulski sat in on the recording for an upcoming episode that has Doctor Strange.

B7-qGEGCIAE0ab-.jpg:orig

Episode #43

Disk Wars: Avengers Episode #43 - Animator's Corner

Episode 43 information (2015-01-28)

Script
King Ryu
Storyboard
Shibata Hiroki
Episode director
Shibata Hiroki
Animation supervisor
Kitano Yukihiro
Key animator
Baek Nam-yeol Shida Naotoshi Saeki Tetsuya Kawaguchi Daitoku Kitano Yukihiro BSP Eugene Ayson Romeo Ano-nuevo Dennis Cabrao Edmartin Christom Bobby de la Pena Cesar de Leon Reggie Manabat Malvin Mendoza Romel Pura Alfredo Reyes Frankin Taman Frederick Ulang Rhem Valencia

As promised last month and earlier this month, Shida Naotoshi has returned! I am quite surprised to see he is credited second amongst key animators. That typically means he provided the second highest number of cuts (shots). On occasion key animation is credited in order of appearance, however. Shida's cuts are early in the A-Part and the B-Part, when Iron Man and Blade attack the horde of vampires attacking the mansion. For the B-Part, Shida provides the key animation for Blade and Nova versus Baron Blood. Shida drives me nuts with how he uses good storyboarding and layouts only when he himself is doing the key animation. His storyboards that he knows he isn't going to animate himself for are always so bland!

It's interesting to see that Animation Supervisor Kitano Yukihiro is credited fifth, though. Typically the animation supervisor is credited first either as a formality or because they wind up providing or correcting so much of the key animation themselves that they earn the top billing. It's interesting to see that the episode has something of a three team set-up, near as I can tell. I don't believe any of the first five key animators are employees of BSP, so my guess is none of the BSP animators are credited by name. Everyone credited after BSP are employees of Toei Animation Philippines.

Baron Blood sends a horde of vampires to attack the Avengers mansion. Iron Man and Blade kill the horde with ease thanks to the might of Shida Naotoshi animation. Hikaru and the others pound on the windows of the mansion, trying to get inside the mansion. Blade continues to claim there is no way to save them, but Akira is hardly willing to give up yet.

Baron Blood has Hikaru and the others D-Smash their partners. Blade pretends to engage in combat with them, secretly whispering in their ears to use their Bio Codes. This time, the Avengers share their Bio Code energy with Hikaru and the others, curing them. The Avengers return to their DISKs and their partners pass out. With the last of his strength, Hikaru summons Nova and tells him to take Blade to Baron Blood’s location.

God smiles upon us a second time in one episode as Shida Naotoshi depicts Blade and Nova versus Baron Blood. Blade uses his Godgiven Shida Naotoshi sword and defeats Baron Blood, sealing him within a DISK. Ookuma Juubei teleports away, as expected.

Afterward, Blade thanks Akira and calls him kind. Akira and the others get bad news regarding Doctor Akatsuki. Later, Akira is sulking in the lab alone. Suddenly, the voice of Doctor Akatsuki rings out. Ronin appears and steals the Dimension Sphere. Iron Man is unable to stop Ronin from walking off with the Dimension Sphere.

Episode #44 will have some focus on Ookuma Juubee. Hatano Morio returns as episode director and storyboard artist, so this should be a very fun episode.

Near as I can tell from Shida’s last update he will be returning to Disk Wars: Avengers after he finishes his work on the upcoming PreCure movie. Assuming Disk Wars: Avengers ends in March my guess is that Shida will be working on Episode #50 or Episode #51. If I’m a good boy can I have one of those last two episodes with Tate Naoki as the animation supervisor and a key animator?

I'll post screen captures later.

It's funny that his tweet mentions dubbing. Made my heart skip a beat there.

'Dubbing' refers to the creation of the audio for an episode. It has nothing to do with foreign language dubbing, which isn't going to happen any time soon given this property is crafted for Japan and the production schedule is so non-existent.

Episode #44

Disk Wars: Avengers - Animator's Corner

Episode 44 information (2015-02-04)

Script
Hirota Mitsutaka
Storyboard
Hatano Morio
Episode director
Hatano Morio
Animation supervisor
Enomoto Katsunori
Key animator
Wada Yoshiaki Fujii Yoshinori Tanaka Nonoka

Poor Episode Director Hatano Morio, one of the best storyboard artists and episode directors on the series and stuck with but with key animators. It's such a shame, because this was a dramatic episode with some nice ideas for battle choreography from Hatano.

Akira blames himself for Ronin getting away with the Dimension Sphere. The others let him know they don't blame him. Meanwhile, Ronin joins forces with the Celebrity Five and they go on a thieving spree. After having touched the Dimension Sphere in the previous episode, Tony now has a portion of its power in him. The energy shows Tony a vision, including Loki, Loki's castle, and a mysterious figure in the dark.

Both sides return to Tim's lab at Loki's castle in the north. The Avengers battle Ronin, Blizzard and Crimson Dynamo. During the battle Tony notices something Ronin says reminds him of something Doctor Akatsuki once said about Akira. Ronin and the Celebrity Five escape, having stolen a chip from Hikaru. Tony is left wondering if Ronin might very well be his old friend, Akatsuki Nozomu.

Screen Captures for Episode #43 and Episode #44. For Episode #43 I only grabbed screen captures for Shida Naotoshi's cuts so I wouldn't have to watch the episode again. :lol:

Episode #45 sees the return of the Wrecking Crew!

Shishido Nozomu has been promoted from assistant episode director to episode director. He has been assistant episode director for a good half dozen episodes of Disk Wars: Avengers. I think the order for Episode #46 is wrong, though. Seo has never done storyboard for the series while Ishiodori did a storyboard for her Episode #39.

Episode #45: ED: Shishido Nozomu; SB: Koga Gou; AS: Asanuma Akihiro
Episode #46: ED: Ishiodori Hiroshi; SB: Seo Hye-jin; AS: Oka Tatsuya, Yamamura Shunryo, Manabe Shuuichiro
Episode #47: ED/SB: Sonoda Makoto; AS: Yashima Yoshitaka
Episode #48: ED: Kakudou Hiroyuki; SB: Hiroshima Hideki; AS: Kitano Yukihiro

Shishido is working off of a storyboard from Koga Gou, so hopefully that means Koga is lined up to storyboard and direct an episode in March, too. There might just been enough time for another Hatano Morio episode, too. Hopefully.

RoryWilliams

Thanks. Last thing, but anyone know who voices Luke Cage? and I saw someone claim that Captain Marvel, Ant-Man, Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch have shown up. I assume this is false?

Thanks. Last thing, but anyone know who voices Luke Cage? and I saw someone claim that Captain Marvel, Ant-Man, Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch have shown up. I assume this is false?

Hank Pym had a three episode arc dealing with Ultron, actually. Power Man was also in the series and is currently one of Ed's heroes.

Hank Pym (Ant-Man): 増谷康紀 (Masutani Yasunori)
Power Man: 小柳良寛 (Koyanagi Ryoukan)
Ultron: 山崎たくみ (Yamaaki Takumi)

The others have yet to appear.

Grenzer

This is Kyokugen Karate... 2016 Style
Hank Pym had a three episode arc dealing with Ultron, actually. Power Man was also in the series and is currently one of Ed's heroes.

Hank Pym (Ant-Man): 増谷康紀 (Masutani Yasunori)
Power Man: 小柳良寛 (Koyanagi Ryoukan)
Ultron: 山崎たくみ (Yamaaki Takumi)

The others have yet to appear.

To clear it up, Ultron is voiced by Takumi Yamazaki. Fairly big seiyu back in the 90's, voiced Isamu in Macross Plus and Ferio in Magic Knights Rayearth among other roles.

By the way, Episode #45 episode director Shishido Nozomu key animated these action cuts, so he's familiar with how to make relatively good animation. Strange how he went from animation straight to directing without ever being a animation supervisor or character designer. I guess with how busy Toei Animation has been he got lucky?

To clear it up, Ultron is voiced by Takumi Yamazaki. Fairly big seiyu back in the 90's, voiced Isamu in Macross Plus and Ferio in Magic Knights Rayearth among other roles.

Yeah, my keyboard got stuck when I was typing his name and I didn't notice until now.

Episode #45

Disk Wars: Avengers Episode #45 Staff

Episode 45 information (2015-02-11)

Script
Tsubota Fumi
Storyboard
Koga Gou
Episode director
Shishido Nozomu
Animation supervisor
Asanuma Akihiro
Key animator
Baek Nam-yeol Hoshikawa Nobuyoshi Shishikai Miyako Kuroyanagi Kenji Miuma Kenji Mura Shuntaro Saeki Tetsuya Kawaguchi Daitoku Omizu Yuki Tomiki Yumiko Yashima Yoshitaka Asanuma Akihiro BSP Eugene Ayson Romeo Ano-nuevo Dennis Cabrao Edmartin Christom Bobby de la Pena Cesar de Leon Reggie Manabat Malvin Mendoza Romel Pura Alfredo Reyes Frankin Taman Frederick Ulang Rhem Valencia

Ah, poor Episode Director Shishido Nozomu, stuck with Toei Animation Philippines on your first directing gig. Still, somebody managed to get Shishido one good key animator: Kuroyagani Kenji! With Koga Gou only storyboarding Episode #45 I wonder if Shishido was brought up to the role of episode director so that Koga could focus his efforts on one of the other upcoming episodes? It would be awful rad if he, Hatano Morio, and Chioka Kimitoshi were storyboarding the last three episodes. Mind you, that is assuming that the series ends with Episode #51. I would hope not, given how much fun the series is, but who knows?

Kuroyanagi most likely did Ronin versus the Avengers, specifically Thor and Hulk. Ronin's body language and the folds in his clothing were very nicely drawn and timed, giving the character a great deal of grace and flexibility.

Ed and Jessica face off against Joel and the Wrecking Crew. Ed is under the whether, which leads to the Wrecking Crew getting away with their goal. Later, Tony is experiencing side affects from touching the Dimension Sphere more often and is now plagued with suspicion that Ronin is actually Nozomu. The Avengers get a rematch with the Wrecking Crew and manage to win when Ed has both Hulk and Power Man team up. Ronin appears and beats the stuffing out of the Avengers. Captain America uses his Shield Throw, which Ronin deflects with a swing of his sword...but it turns out Wasp was hiding on the shield's underside! Wasp blasts Ronin in the face. Iron Man panics and tells Akira and Hikaru to advert their eyes, but they don't. Ronin tears off his burning mask to reveal Doctor Akatsuki Nozomu's face! It was Schwarz Bruder--I mean--Kyouji Kasshu all along!!

Ronin and Joel escape with but cold stares and sneers. Akira blames Tony for knowing but not telling him, but Tony passes out from the strain of the Dimension Sphere. Akira tries to use the D-Secure, but Tony cannot return to his DISK!

Episode #46 appears to be the episode that was being recorded on 22 January 2015.

Episode #45 screen captures.

VNvQgTM.png

7nedby2.png

Looks like Battle Spirits from Sunrise is taking over Disk Wars: Avengers slot, so it is indeed ending at the end of March. That sucks, I was hoping it would continue...

Episode #46

Disk Wars: Avengers Episode #46 - Animator's Corner

Episode 46 information (2015-02-18)

Script
Takeuchi Toshimitsu
Storyboard
Ishiodori Hiroshi
Episode director
Seo Hye-jin
Animation supervisor
Oka Tatsuya Yamamura Shunryo Manabe Shuuichiro
Key animator
Yamamura Shunryo Manabe Shuuichiro Takai Koichi Yagi Genki Koikawa Shinpei Kitano Kumiko Shibata Chinami Hirata Ayako Onishi Maiko Sasaki Aya Komiya Kenta Takemura Hirosuke Tadagaki Yuta Shimoji Ayaka Ikeda Masato Namiki Yuuichi Koremoto Akira Synod Mico Animation

Bah, I forget which studio this was sub-contracted to, but it's back, as usual! It's always nice having a little extra help when it comes to correcting, given the series' current schedule and the general lack of talent being employed here. Hopefully we'll have an all-star outing for the climatic final fight.

Tony still cannot be returned to his DISK. In fact, they've even managed to take the suit of him! Meanwhile, Black Widow and Hawkeye confront Ronin. Ronin has a headache that leads to Doctor Akatsuki's consciousness resurfacing. The only way to help Tony is by getting Doctor Strange! Doctor Strange is still lost, though. Akira and the others hatch a plan to lure Manino out so they can steal the Doctor Strange DISK. Chris poses as a hotshot chef, which gets under Manino's skin.

The ruse ends after Chris and Manino taste each other's dishes. Manino summons three Destroyers and Diablo to power them up. The Avengers fight back. During the battle Diablo is knocked into the restaurant and accidentally drinks hot sauce, not his alchemy potion. Distraught, Diablo accidentally knocks the Doctor Strange DISK out of Manino's pocket. Akira tosses the DISK to Hikaru to summon Doctor Strange. Strange helps save the day.

Later, Strange heals Tony, much to a remorseful Akira's thanks.

It seems like Tony returned to the DISK after being healed, so he isn't permanently free.

Episode #46 screen captures can be found here.

Episode #47

Disk Wars: Avengers Episode #47 - Animator's Corner

Episode 47 information (2015-02-25)

Script
Tsubota Fumi
Storyboard
Sonoda Makoto
Episode director
Sonoda Makoto
Animation supervisor
Yashima Yoshitaka
Key animator
Yashima Yoshitaka Eugene Ayson Romeo Ano-nuevo Dennis Cabrao Edmartin Christom Bobby de la Pena Cesar de Leon Reggie Manabat Malvin Mendoza Romel Pura Alfredo Reyes Frankin Taman Frederick Ulang Rhem Valencia

Ah, Animation Supervisor Yashima Yoshitaka once again cleaning up for animators from Toei Animation Philippines. TAP animators have been doing a lot more in the past year as Toei Animation increases the number of shows they produce, so it's quite interesting to see how they are now being placed in a position of more responsibility. Still, if the animation supervisor was someone back in Japan that tells us there was no talented key animator at TAP available to lead the key animators. Francis Caneda, Joey Calangian and Paul Ano-nueva typically work on Pretty Cure, so it's not really a surprise in hindsight.

Tony recounts his time unconscious to the team. With his consciousness trapped in the Dark Dimension Tony was held prisoner by Loki and Dormammu (Yamaji Kazuhiro, known for voicing Cid Highwind in Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children). Loki gloats about their secret plan, but Tony's will breaks free of the shackles holding him down and his consciousness turns into Iron Man. Iron Man engages with Loki in battle until Akira's voice leads him about of the Dark Dimension and back into his body.

Meanwhile, Ronin is still having identity issues. Within Ronin's mind the conflicted White Ronin (Doctor Akatsuki) and the Black Ronin partake in a battle of words, wills and swords.

Doctor Strange locates Ronin's position and the Avengers take off. Akira and the others arrive at a warehouse guarded by Tim and Joel who wield Iron Monger and Bi-Beast. Captain America, Wasp and Hulk hold them off while Akira and Hikaru sneak into the warehouse to find Ronin and the Dark Gate. Loki, who has been controlling Ronin this entire time, proclaims that Doctor Akatsuki is gone and all that remains in Ronin.

Episode #47 screen captures.

Episode #48 preview. Iron Man and Thor versus Ronin!

Episode #48

Disk Wars: Avengers Episode #48 - Animator's Corner

Episode 48 information (2015-03-04)

Script
Hirota Mitsutaka
Storyboard
Kakudo Hiroyuki
Episode director
Hiroshima Hideki
Animation supervisor
Kitano Yukihiro
Key animator
Kitano Yukihiro Eugene Ayson Romeo Ano-nuevo Dennis Cabrao Edmartin Christom Bobby de la Pena Cesar de Leon Reggie Manabat Malvin Mendoza Romel Pura Alfredo Reyes Frankin Taman Frederick Ulang Rhem Valencia

Wow, another episode sent to Toei Animation Philippines with corrections done in Japan. The guys at TAP sure are getting a lot of training these days. I wonder if TAP has done any more recent hiring to make up for the in-betweeners promoted to key animation? Animation Supervisor Kitano Yukihiro was the only key animator from Japan, but I have to wonder if he did any key animation himself or merely did a lot of corrections. TAP only really have two or three good key animators, neither of which worked on this series, and are supposedly rather slow, so I have to wonder what the key animation looked like before Kitano got to them?

Storyboard Artist Kakudou Hiroyuki has directed and storyboard four episodes that have aired in 2015. This is his fifth storyboard in 2015, which is only three months old at this point, so it is no surprise he was unavailable to see the episode through to completion. Episode Director Hiroshima Hideki has only drawn his own storyboard once before, for Disk Wars: Avengers Episode #40 in which he survived as episode director. Normally Hiroshima has others storyboard for him, which leaves me wondering if he merely fills in for the storyboard artist he works with or he begrudgingly drew storyboards on his own despite being unable to draw well?

The action choreography was quite well done during the A-Part. Obviously Kitano and the gang at TAP weren't working with a lot of drawings or the ability to time well, but I was rather surprised with the impact of the fight scenes early on. Hulk and Bi-Beast's clash having a sort of circling effect gave the clash a nice dynamism not too different from what Nagamine Tatsuya does in his fights.

Interestingly, the recap was over two minutes long. Dragon Ball Z used to use long recaps to save on the number of pages of the comic it had to adapt as well as conserve drawings. I haven't see many long recaps in modern Toei Animation series despite the shrinking number of cels and production time, so this is really quite interesting. Was Series Director Komura Toshi'aki that strapped for time and key animators that he approved a longer recap? The winter season has been a busy one given the number of series ending, so it makes sense for someone somewhere to give a little. This is to say nothing of Dragon Ball Z: Fukkatsu no F having finished production, too.

Iron Man, Thor, Falcon and Nova battle Ronin. Nova tries to destroy the Dark Gate but his blast is repelled and injures him. Out from the Dark Gate appears Loki. Thor and Loki clash after Loki takes Falcon out of the game. Dormammu tries to draw in Akira, Hikaru, Ronin, the Celebrity Five and the heroes, but Iron Man manages to prevent that. Iron Man and Thor use their Build Up Armors to blast Loki and the day seems saved. Doctor Akatsuki reveals he is back in possession of his body, but Loki and the Dark Gate are still a threat as it grows ever wider.

Episode #49 preview. It's time for a complete release from the DISKs!!

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts