"Marvel Cinematic Universe" News & Discussion, Part 8 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frontier

Staff member
I already saw a video interview with Feige during SDCC confirm this. He was asked about Harry Styles, and said "We will see Eros and Pip in the future".

This reddit has Waititi say Hercules is coming to the MCU:

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk
The question is, as always, where :p?

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Unlike The Inhumans, Eternals isn't a bad concept. It was just a bad movie. I don't object to a sequel. In fact part of the reason the first movie was so bad was BECAUSE it was too focused on future movies. Not giving us one would make it even worse.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Unlike The Inhumans, Eternals isn't a bad concept. It was just a bad movie. I don't object to a sequel. In fact part of the reason the first movie was so bad was BECAUSE it was too focused on future movies. Not giving us one would make it even worse.
Don't think that one was any more focused on sequels than other MCU flicks. Making sense of the established lore given the concept was the most important issue at hand that they didn't stick the landing on. It's a good thing multiverse is a thing, so they can just shrug all of it off as not part of the main continuity.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Don't think that one was any more focused on sequels than other MCU flicks

I'd actually 100% disagree with that considering how the first movie ended with Sersi, Kingo, and Phastos being taken by Arishem to put them on trial for killing that celestial being born in the middle of Earth. Like that is a majorly unresolved cliffhanger for the characters that the other ending credits allude to others wanting to go and help them out but feels like a story that would require another movie to really resolve. Which yeah none of the other firsts in the MCU that were set in the present time ended with a cliff hanger involving the cast in actual current danger needing to be helped out of some time. Sure most movies tease at future threats but Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant Man, Doctor Strange, Spider Man Homecoming, Black Panther, & Shang Chi And The Legend Of The 10 Rings still ended with the main characters victorious and in a better place or at least a safe solid place then how they had started out the movie so I say Eternals did more sequel beg or at least sequel set up then most others.

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
I'd actually 100% disagree with that considering how the first movie ended with Sersi, Kingo, and Phastos being taken by Arishem to put them on trial for killing that celestial being born in the middle of Earth. Like that is a majorly unresolved cliffhanger for the characters that the other ending credits allude to others wanting to go and help them out but feels like a story that would require another movie to really resolve. Which yeah none of the other firsts in the MCU that were set in the present time ended with a cliff hanger involving the cast in actual current danger needing to be helped out of some time. Sure most movies tease at future threats but Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Avengers, Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant Man, Doctor Strange, Spider Man Homecoming, Black Panther, & Shang Chi And The Legend Of The 10 Rings still ended with the main characters victorious and in a better place or at least a safe solid place then how they had started out the movie so I say Eternals did more sequel beg or at least sequel set up then most others.
Thank for going through all that so I didn't have to.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
Yes the Eternals were victorious and then there's the 11th hour bait-n-switch after everything seems dandy. Sure.
I just don't see what more of the hoopla is with the sequel baiting when most of the runtime wasn't otherwise engaging in that regard.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around what that movie established in conjunction with what was previously established in-universe & how barely the attempt was made to sync that up.
That's what I'm more looking forward to getting answers to if I ever get around to this sequel. Can't get possibly any worse.

Last edited:

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Yes the Eternals were victorious and then there's the 11th hour bait-n-switch after everything seems dandy. Sure.
I just don't see what more of the hoopla is with the sequel baiting when most of the runtime wasn't otherwise engaging in that regard.

Because the Eternals didn't have a fully 100% satisfactory stand alone story that fully wrapped things up and instead ended on a big cliff hanger which is Fone Bone's whole point. If you read his review of Eternals a big reason he d didn't like the movie was because of how it ended and feeling annoyed at the rest of the movie for having that story without having proper closure which as I pointed out isn't how any of the other first parters of the MCU have gone at all. Again they tease other stuff will happen at some point but the stories and characters journeys are still self contained and end on a solid note for them. And not having that for Eternals bothered him which is why he wanted a sequel so the movie series would end on a better note. It should be pointed out from what I remember reading Zhao's original idea for the ending was a lot darker and even more depressing and messed up but never saw the light of day...

I'm still trying to wrap my head around what that movie established in conjunction with what was previously established in-universe & how barely the attempt was made to sync that up.
That's what I'm more looking forward to getting answers to if I ever get around to this sequel. Can't get possibly any worse.

Which yeah though I don't hate the movie like others and can see how it does connect in some way (the reason the Eternals weren't involved in anything was Ajax separating them ages ago because she knows that the Celestial is just going to destroy the world once all the Deviants are killed and she only feels different after Tony brought everyone back in Endgame feeling "okay if humanity saved the entire universe maybe they're worth saving so let's not have a celestial emerge from this planet and kill everyone") I do get why a lot of people feel it doesn't synch up and have issues with it, and I can't pretend I don't have them as well;

It is clear that Chloe Zhao though a unique pick does not really get or flow with the rest of the universe which yeah sorry wanting interesting outside the box picks or not you really can't do especially with these ongoing stories that are suppose to have some sense of connection and flow to them.

I think the big reason Feige agreed with her original pick was IMHO it was so counter to pretty much EVERY thing that Ike Perlmutter would have wanted in a Marvel movie he probably thought it'd be the ultimate middle finger to that jag and... much as I hate Perlmutter that was a call that didn't wind up working that well. Again it's clear the characters aren't just going to be forgotten about and we'll see something done with them but yeah this was just such an off idea that I also get why so many people are skeptical of there being a sequel even if some just want it for the story to have a better ending. Which I'm pretty sure it would because you don't get to make this sort of failure in the MCU and then come back to do that same sort of thing again.

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
It should be pointed out from what I remember reading Zhao's original idea for the ending was a lot darker and even more depressing and messed up but never saw the light of day...
The MCU is gonna MCU, so they defaulted these superhuman lifeforms as being just...robots. It'd be hard to care if they saved Earth only to be factory rebooted & shipped off to do what they were made to do on another planet. I would care in as far as that ending is way more enticing to play around with in a sequel or some other characters' movie(s).
It is clear that Chloe Zhao though a unique pick does not really get or flow with the rest of the universe which yeah sorry wanting interesting outside the box picks or not you really can't do especially with these ongoing stories that are suppose to have some sense of connection and flow to them.

I think the big reason Feige agreed with her original pick was IMHO it was so counter to pretty much EVERY thing that Ike Perlmutter would have wanted in a Marvel movie he probably thought it'd be the ultimate middle finger to that jag and... much as I hate Perlmutter that was a call that didn't wind up working that well.
I don't know what any of this means. There's a richer history with The Eternals that span wider than just a tiny group of ageless superpowered characters fighting mutant animals. Taking it for what it is, my continuity contention has mostly to do with Thanos and his non-existent relationship to this (whether in all his appearances thus far or with The Eternals/Celestials/Deviants themselves). The movie retroactively changes the context of that galactic crossover thing, but doesn't actually acknowledge it.

reflection01

Yeah, heard that rumor too. Not 100% on board with that one.

This was along with getting Denzel as Magneto. I was just as eye brow raised as Esposito.

A younger Xavier and Magneto makes a lot more sense. Then you have two people on opposites sides of an emergent mutant crisis. Given what we know from Ms. Marvel, it’s easy to plop in a guy who discovered his own mutation as a young adult, studied mutations, and has been secretly running a school for mutant children over the last decade.

Go with older Xavier and especially Magneto and the MCU has to explain where mutants have been for the entire MCU run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

the greenman

I just want British actors for those roles. I've honestly been waiting for Ralph Fiennes (Yes he that shall not be named) as Prof. X. For Magneto still unsure.

the greenman

Don't mean to derail convo, but article asking question "Just who does own rights to Knull? Sony or Marvel studios?":

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.
Change of plans, no concert for me tonight! Instead, if everything goes according to plan, I will instead be seeing Chris Barron (of Spin Doctors) in May.
I may actually delete my twitter account. It is just really bad these days, and I have other ways to keep in touch with the few people on there I do care about, so deleting it would be rather easy. Something I once thought I'd never think of doing.
And now: A Classic Toonzone Moment #3

On the TTTP on October 13, 2002, a couple of users question if Dumb Patrol (1964) is truly offensive, causing a long discussion about flame wars: "Dumb Patrol"
I still haven't made a real post on that Dreamwidth blog I have linked in my signature. Still deciding what I want to do with it, really. I want to practice my reviewing skills so I may use it exclusively as a review blog for whatever I feel like.

Featured Posts