"Marvel Cinematic Universe" News & Discussion, Part 7 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts

I still say Multiverse of Madness should open with Agnes in that sitcom world brought out of it by Mordo looking to eliminate her but she manages to weasel her way out of it by talking about how dangerous Wanda is which puts Mordo on the hunt for her. I assume if this happens it would of been filmed by now but hey clear we will be seeing more of Agatha anyway (and hopefully not just in the past either) so why not give an explanation how she got out of playing that version of herself?

Frontier

Staff member
I still say Multiverse of Madness should open with Agnes in that sitcom world brought out of it by Mordo looking to eliminate her but she manages to weasel her way out of it by talking about how dangerous Wanda is which puts Mordo on the hunt for her. I assume if this happens it would of been filmed by now but hey clear we will be seeing more of Agatha anyway (and hopefully not just in the past either) so why not give an explanation how she got out of playing that version of herself?
I guess that could be a good way of explaining the plot of WandaVision to anyone just joining in for the movie...

the greenman

I guess that could be a good way of explaining the plot of WandaVision to anyone just joining in for the movie...
I still don't like the idea of forcing people to watch a tv series to understand certain things of a film. That is the reason a ton of comicbook fans fell away from the comics. Too many unnecessary crossovers.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
I still don't like the idea of forcing people to watch a tv series to understand certain things of a film. That is the reason a ton of comicbook fans fell away from the comics. Too many unnecessary crossovers.
The same applies to having to watch a previous movie to understand certain things of the latest film. Between the two MCU shows I have seen, the amount of filler is rather astounding relative to what the characters' previous status quo was to who they become after their shows. So, in that sense just like with the movies, you only ever need to watch minutes worth of footage to be all caught up for the sequel.

Frontier

Staff member
The same applies to having to watch a previous movie to understand certain things of the latest film. Between the two MCU shows I have seen, the amount of filler is rather astounding relative to what the characters' previous status quo was to who they become after their shows. So, in that sense just like with the movies, you only ever need to watch minutes worth of footage to be all caught up for the sequel.
"Previously on WandaVision"....

reflection01

I think hardcore fans overstate how much new fans or causal fans need to know.

The whole idea behind “What If?” is that viewers know what happened in the movies and will follow the changes. My 9 year old loved “What If?” religiously even thought had only watched parts of Black Panther and none of the Disney+ shows. He asks me questions and watched YouTube explainers to fill in what he doesn’t know. My wife has seen about half the films and she loved it too.

It’s easy to get information about what happened in the films and shows. I applaud Feige and crew for not dumbing down things to appeal to the broadest base possible.

I guess in some ways it’s like sports. I watch every Carolina Panthers game, but I’m not missing something when I watch other teams if I didn’t watch their game. Just explain what happened last game and how it’s relevant to this game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Frontier

Staff member
I think hardcore fans overstate how much new fans or causal fans need to know.

The whole idea behind “What If?” is that viewers know what happened in the movies and will follow the changes. My 9 year old loved “What If?” religiously even thought had only watched parts of Black Panther and none of the Disney+ shows. He asks me questions and watched YouTube explainers to fill in what he doesn’t know. My wife has seen about half the films and she loved it too.

It’s easy to get information about what happened in the films and shows. I applaud Feige and crew for not dumbing down things to appeal to the broadest base possible.

I guess in some ways it’s like sports. I watch every Carolina Panthers game, but I’m not missing something when I watch other teams if I didn’t watch their game. Just explain what happened last game and how it’s relevant to this game.

I guess a fun cartoon is a fun cartoon even when it relies on people having actually watched the movies, although....I feel like it's supposed to be intended for people who actually watched the movies since it's diverging from those plots :p.

I dunno, I don't feel like it's a matter of not dumbing things down. I guess it's just a matter of how much audiences are willing to accept dense continuity and stuff that they may not have had any interest in following even when it effects stuff that does.

reflection01

If the storytelling is strong, the continuity is just extra information to help you appreciate what happened before.

This is nothing new. TV has generally operated like this with different degrees of serialization. If the show is well done, I should be able to pop in midseason and appreciate the story and be interested enough to catch up and watch what I missed.

Frontier

Staff member
If the storytelling is strong, the continuity is just extra information to help you appreciate what happened before.

This is nothing new. TV has generally operated like this with different degrees of serialization. If the show is well done, I should be able to pop in midseason and appreciate the story and be interested enough to catch up and watch what I missed.
I guess if you view every MCU product as an "episode" and not a complete standalone...which to an extent is true nowadays. Nothing exists in a complete vacuum in the MCU (at least completely).

the greenman

Over the years, I have had discussions of the MCU versus DC films (not just the DCEU). Most of the time my argument is just what you said. MCU is television on the big screen. The have had a very successful track for that hook, and I don't necessarily dislike it, as I am a fan.

WB and DC is still a favorite. I LOVE the directors visions of DC films. Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, Burton's Batman, Craven's Swamp Thing, and Donner's seminal Superman (1 & 2). Heck even Philips Joker was something of a outlier vision of what the comic book film can be. I didn't completely have a mad/hate relationship with the Snyderverse either.

What I don't agree with the current MCU is tethering it to tv. I knew the older series existed on their own accord, which was fine by me. I still don't care to see AoS or any of the others. So, this disappoints me a great deal.

Sent from my LM-Q730 using Tapatalk

reflection01

It’s pretty loosely tethered. Everything we know from the shows is information we already know or can infer from the movies (Wanda is powerful, Sam is the new Captain America) or could be explained in a new film (Vision was rebuilt, Sharon is secretly a villain, there is a multiverse). Everything is optional viewing whether it’s an episode of “What If?” or Endgame.

Thing about it like this. Imagine someone who is only a Spider-Man fan who only watched Homecoming and then Far From Home. Within the first few minutes Far From Home tells them everything they need to know from Infinity War and Endgame. Tony died. There was a blip and half of people were gone for 5 years.

Frontier

Staff member
It’s pretty loosely tethered. Everything we know from the shows is information we already know or can infer from the movies (Wanda is powerful, Sam is the new Captain America) or could be explained in a new film (Vision was rebuilt, Sharon is secretly a villain, there is a multiverse). Everything is optional viewing whether it’s an episode of “What If?” or Endgame.

Thing about it like this. Imagine someone who is only a Spider-Man fan who only watched Homecoming and then Far From Home. Within the first few minutes Far From Home tells them everything they need to know from Infinity War and Endgame. Tony died. There was a blip and half of people were gone for 5 years.
I pity the person who tries to watch the Spider-Man films as standalones :p.

reflection01

I pity the person who tries to watch the Spider-Man films as standalones :p.

Why? Homecoming does a good job recapping Civil War through Peter’s home videos. I explained how Far From Home does it.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
So, Marvel announced new release dates for most of the upcoming movies.

Doctor Strange: In the Madness of the Multiverse - May 6, 2022
Thor: Love & Thunder - July 8, 2022
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever - November 11, 2022
The Marvels - February 17, 2023
Ant-Man & Wasp: Quantumania - July 28, 2023

The currently untitled Marvel movie scheduled for November 10, 2023 was moved to November 3, 2023 and the October 6, 2023 date seems to have been removed completely from the line-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

How about Mike Pollock as the ideal voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman?
Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day

Featured Posts