"Marvel Cinematic Universe" News & Discussion, Part 6 (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
May 18, 2006
East Northport
Well the thing is that Drax earnestly believes he is being nice to Mantis by insulting her like that feeling "anyone can pretend to like someone pretty but if you are truly liked for being ugly then you are real friends" and again just has a really screwed up way of showing affection. So it's not like it comes from a malicious place so actually trying to get some sentimentality from the situation to expand Drax's world view could easily be done. Honestly though I think the reason Gunn is still at least promoting the possible idea of a Drax and Mantis movie is because of him and Dave Bautistia being such close friends. Remember Bautsita out of everyone on the cast of Guardians pushed the hardest for Gunn to be brought back into the studio when he was fired by Disney and has been adamant on his support for Gunn despite Bautistia being annoyed at Drax only being a supporting player in the movies and wanting more of a leading role. So pretty Gunn is trying to pay that loyalty forward. We'll see how far it goes though. Heh you know what Disney should start doing thinking about it? Is giving Disney+ like hour specials or something to all the different characters that would be one offs different from the shows or movies as yeah even if you don't believe Drax and Mantis could support an entire film or series they could easily do their schitck while growing some as like a 40-60 minute special.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
Well the thing is that Drax earnestly believes he is being nice to Mantis by insulting her like that feeling "anyone can pretend to like someone pretty but if you are truly liked for being ugly then you are real friends" and again just has a really screwed up way of showing affection. So it's not like it comes from a malicious place so actually trying to get some sentimentality from the situation to expand Drax's world view could easily be done. Honestly though I think the reason Gunn is still at least promoting the possible idea of a Drax and Mantis movie is because of him and Dave Bautistia being such close friends. Remember Bautsita out of everyone on the cast of Guardians pushed the hardest for Gunn to be brought back into the studio when he was fired by Disney and has been adamant on his support for Gunn despite Bautistia being annoyed at Drax only being a supporting player in the movies and wanting more of a leading role. So pretty Gunn is trying to pay that loyalty forward. We'll see how far it goes though. Heh you know what Disney should start doing thinking about it? Is giving Disney+ like hour specials or something to all the different characters that would be one offs different from the shows or movies as yeah even if you don't believe Drax and Mantis could support an entire film or series they could easily do their schitck while growing some as like a 40-60 minute special.
I guess it wasn't intentionally malicious but throwing insults at a meek female character who won't even defend herself and just takes it rubs me the wrong way, especially with how they adapted Mantis in the MCU and took away some of her stronger character qualities.

I definitely think spinoffs for the Guardians would fit more on Disney+ then in the main MCU.

the greenman

Jul 24, 2006
the point of no return
I guess it wasn't intentionally malicious but throwing insults at a meek female character who won't even defend herself and just takes it rubs me the wrong way, especially with how they adapted Mantis in the MCU and took away some of her stronger character qualities.

I definitely think spinoffs for the Guardians would fit more on Disney+ then in the main MCU.
Honestly, I figured Gunn kinda meant Disney + film or miniseries. Feige is to particular to just ram in anything. I think Black Widow is a gift to Johansson honestly. While at the same time setting up future story development.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Frontier

Freddy

Aug 1, 2012
As always, take with a grain of salt until confirmed, but a rumor says that MCU's Deadpool movie will ignore the first two:

Honestly, I'm not too suprised. With him silently ignoring non-Disney+ Marvel shows and trying to be vague about the status of Venom/Sonyverse in MCU, it really feels like that Feige doesn't want to be beholden to creative choices he didn't have an input on. That's why I'm skeptical of the theory of Disney/Marvel wanting to make The New Mutants retroactively the introduction of the X-Men to the MCU.

But, ultimately, I don't think this will affect the end product too much. Deadpool can easily have a throwaway line like: "You saw my origin from the other studio right? Imagine that also happened in this timeline, just replace Colossus with Robert Downey jr. or something" and then just move on with the actual plot. Yeah, some fans will probably be mad that the first two movies don't "count" anymore, but they still physically exist and are great movies. No amount of retcons will ever take that away from them.

I wonder how they'd approach it given the obvious Justice League parallels. Take a lot of potshots at DC :sweat:?
Not my idea, saw couple of people throw this around on twitter, but I think it's potentially cool and worth sharing.

When they were originally created, Squadron Supreme was both Marvel's way of using Justice League characters without any legal red tape, but also tell darker, more morally grey superhero stories without potentially "tarnishing" the main Marvel heroes (remember, this was before The Ultimates, Civil War and the like turned the mainstream Marvel comics, for the better or worse, more politically charged). How about the MCU-Squadron worked as a stand-in for The Boys and other "grim & gritty" superhero deconstructions, that are saying that superhero fiction is inherently bad and naive, and punching back at the them? Kinda them saying "this is why superheroes are culturally important" in a metatextual way.

Reactions: Fone Bone

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
177A Bleecker Street
Hopefully, they can make AIM look threatening. Cause, I grew up with the idea, they were kinda silly.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk
Should they be threatening? I love the beekeepers but I think their creations are the scary things (MODOK, Awesome Android, Cosmic Cube, etc) while on their own, they're just a uniformed gang of mad scientists with high tech weapons and no type of fighting prowess. I'm thinking of playing that one mobile game now, where there are physically augmented beekeepers, real body horror stuff. That could be interesting.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Frontier

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
So, Marvel announced new release dates for most of their upcoming movies.
Just like we forecasted after MGM’s No Time to Die moved to November, Black Widow is taking over Eternals’ Nov. 6 slot, which is setting off an even Marvel pic chain reaction whereby Eternals moves to Feb. 12, 2021 (Shang-Chi’s old date); Shang-Chi moves to May 7, 2021 (Doctor Strange 2’s old date); Doctor Strange 2 moves to Nov. 5, 2021 (Thor: Love and Thunder’s old date), Thor: Love And Thunder moves to Feb. 18, 2022 which was a spot for an untitled Marvel pic. Black Panther 2 remains on May 8, 2022 and Captain Marvel 2 is now set for July 8, 2022, which Disney already RSVPed for an untitled live action pic. That release date change ease with the Marvel movies comes from Disney having control over key juggernaut dates on the calendar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

IMO C.H. Greenblatt wrote and storyboarded some of the best episodes of Spongebob and Billy and Mandy.
Sesame Street: Creating a world that is smarter, stronger, and kinder.

I'm starting a special competition on my deviantart. More information can be found here.

Today is 11 years of Bret Iwan voicing Mickey.
It’s September 2020 and HBO Max still needs a lot of fixing. What would you do to fix it?