"Marvel Cinematic Universe" News & Discussion, Part 4 (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Well the thing is the FOX Merger hasn't fully gone through and likely won't until 2019 so FOX isn't going to be going on hiatus not doing anything and just sitting on they're hands until then. When Disney full owns the right I have a feeling that's when they'll do a serious retooling to determine how exactly they'll fit all of those characters into the MCU but are only in the planning and thinking not really doing phase about it now. Honestly since I imagine even if it wasn't a full merger a Sony buyout would have the same wait period of also not being able to do anything directly for a year so even if Disney buys up Sony right now expect them to at least have Silver and Black Out even if no other movies. Still if this "Venom" cinematic universe after two films fizzles out I wouldn't really shed any tears especially as hoenstly the more Marvel/Disney has to play with for they're entire universe the better that itself will wind up being and it would be nice to have just one Marvel Cinematic Universe and not have three bouncing around due to different studios owning characters with differing rights.

the greenman

Well the thing is the FOX Merger hasn't fully gone through and likely won't until 2019 so FOX isn't going to be going on hiatus not doing anything and just sitting on they're hands until then. When Disney full owns the right I have a feeling that's when they'll do a serious retooling to determine how exactly they'll fit all of those characters into the MCU but are only in the planning and thinking not really doing phase about it now. Honestly since I imagine even if it wasn't a full merger a Sony buyout would have the same wait period of also not being able to do anything directly for a year so even if Disney buys up Sony right now expect them to at least have Silver and Black Out even if no other movies. Still if this "Venom" cinematic universe after two films fizzles out I wouldn't really shed any tears especially as hoenstly the more Marvel/Disney has to play with for they're entire universe the better that itself will wind up being and it would be nice to have just one Marvel Cinematic Universe and not have three bouncing around due to different studios owning characters with differing rights.
As far as I've heard from several legit sources, both studios MUST operate normally. The only thing we've seen that's suspicious is the New Mutants pushing release date back.

At this point, I'm very curious how they're going to move forward with those films if they are going to buy SONY. I think they might do something similar to how WB has New Line making SHAZAM.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Neo Ultra Mike

The only thing we've seen that's suspicious is the New Mutants pushing release date back.

And even then that might just be due to them wanting to have a movie out for February 2019 and obviously not being able to do so with Gambit so having another film take that mark. [

At this point, I'm very curious how they're going to move forward with those films if they are going to buy SONY. I think they might do something similar to how WB has New Line making SHAZAM.

Honestly if Marvel totally buys Sony out and has full control of all Spider-Man characters without having to answer to anyone else at Sony... I think they might actually tone down on giving other Spider Man related characters films and just focus on introducing them more into Spider-Man's world. I mean Sony's only making Spider-Man related movies with other characters because those are they're options when it comes to making major Marvel movies, but the Disney MCU will have access to like every single Marvel character if these go through so there's less need to focus on just overly milking one franchise. Since I'm sure unlike other heroes we'll see the MCU have more then just 3 spider man movies but... they aren't going to like do a bunch of spinoffs with them when there's so many other Avengers and Marvel characters to do movies with.

Frontier

Staff member
Honestly if Marvel totally buys Sony out and has full control of all Spider-Man characters without having to answer to anyone else at Sony... I think they might actually tone down on giving other Spider Man related characters films and just focus on introducing them more into Spider-Man's world. I mean Sony's only making Spider-Man related movies with other characters because those are they're options when it comes to making major Marvel movies, but the Disney MCU will have access to like every single Marvel character if these go through so there's less need to focus on just overly milking one franchise. Since I'm sure unlike other heroes we'll see the MCU have more then just 3 spider man movies but... they aren't going to like do a bunch of spinoffs with them when there's so many other Avengers and Marvel characters to do movies with.
If Marvel Studios had access to Venom they probably would have used him as a villain instead of trying to have him headline his own movie.

Especially with how much they like to use the "evil counterpart" shtick.

Neo Ultra Mike

Honestly if Marvel had access to Venom and all of Spider-Man's villains they likely would of had a full movie first dedicated to the Black Spider-Man suit that would of had a focus on the symbiote and Peter and him fighting it off as well as another villain. And that film would of had Eddie Brock in it but they would only tease him becoming Venom at the end and having the next movie fully dedicated to that because Marvel is perfectly fine teasing bigger villains/threats and not having them appear in the first movie if they're meant for bigger stories. Like Bucky/Winter Solider in the Captain America or Mordo with Dr. Strange and yeah look at how many teases Thanos got before Infinity War. Marvel would of known not to cram in Venom last minute (as that's something Kevin Feige even has complained about I believe in interviews, same with having 3 villains in Amazing Spider Man 2) and that's a big enough villain and conept worthy of it's own movie... usually more as the villain then as just the overall focus but yeah that's what Marvel would do. Sony only wants to make other focus films on other Spider Man characters because that's all they have the rights to but Marvel obviously doesn't have that problem.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
It'd never happen but I would like see him use the suit for a few years of movies. Start in an an Avengers: Secret Wars movie and Peter gets the black suit in it, has the suit for the next two Spider-Man movies then gets rid it by the end of the 2nd. I feel like its something worth fleshing out than a one and done movie again where he gets it and dumps it.

Frontier

Staff member
With the rights being what they are, I wonder if they could get away with Peter in the Black Suit but just never call it a Symbiote :p?

Frontier

Staff member
2/9: There was almost a War Machine movie. After Iron Man 2, it was considered. Joe Robert Cole did a pitch and got hired to write the script but they ultimately went with Iron Man 3 instead and Cole went into the writing program.
Interesting. It also probably would've been the first proper "spinoff" movie from a Marvel Studios solo film :).

Kinda feel bad for Rhodey though :sweat:.

the greenman

I have been contemplating how the X-Men and the Fantastic Four can be integrated into the MCU. First off, Feige and his team more than likely have a clear plan of where they're headed. That plan is most certainly "COSMIC" with Spider-Man along for the ride as well as the sequels to Dr. Strange, Black Panther, Captain Marvel, and Ant Man. It's clear from interviews they wanted Spider-Man for "Captain America: Civil War" even before the Sony talks we are aware of. So, with that said, Disney may not be too quick on adopting the X/FF anyway. The current slate of FOX X-Men films certainly seem on track for some semblance of success. However, "IF" Marvel assumes the rights to those FOX characters, the major question is what & how will they deal with them?

#1 There is the issue of what Disney will even do with the 21st Century FOX films and television properties. Will they become a separate branch? Will this decision have ramifications on how they move forward with the FOX Marvel characters? Therefore, we can only speculate how we would like things to go down. IMO, based on Feige's comments, the X-Men will eventually join the MCU proper sooner rather than later.

#2 I know some people who are completely unenthusiastic about that happening. Again with simple speculation about what can or will happen; one thing I find very very complex is the issue with Magneto and Wolverine to a lesser degree. From a story standpoint, Max Eisenhardt, aka Erik Lennsher, aka Magnus is 100% connected to the Holocaust during WW2. Now we know FOX has done a pretty good job with the X-Men, regardless of some issues all fans have gotten used to (i.e. never really aging the characters, even though the current series goes through 30-40 years). Now X-Men 1 (from Singer) was in 2000. Both Magneto and Professor Xavier (McCellen and Stewart respectively) were in their late 50's and perfect timing for believing they existed during WW2. So setting up Fassbender and McAvoy as Magneto and Professor X was and is perfect as rebooted versions. It's FOX'S blatant ignorance of acknowledging the continuity as well as the time lapse, that might need to be controlled. At this point, it seems a lost cause, unless Feige seriously makes a complete reboot.

#3 Knowing Disney, they will more than likely reintroduce the X-Men with the 90's team that everyone is more familiar with:
76fe689588faa57d081067a0480a4177.jpg
3e4732b5071f7b2bdb5d4f1e140f1622.jpg

Personally, I would prefer the original group. . . Iceman, Angel, Cyclops, Marvel Girl aka Jean Grey, and Beast. If put as the intention was "in the Fantastic Four style", it can concentrate on the team dynamics before political jargon. Especially if they are portrayed as youth.
93ffc0489eb31fab7cf21879d507eaab.jpg

#4 Now what of the Fantastic Four? Completely rebooted in a surprise way? Perhaps already having powers or something. Too soon for a standalone film? Please give them about until 2025 or so. Feige is smart enough to know this. Besides, they can now use one of their most interesting villains/antiheroes in a powerful way even. . .
68d58ea2497ac6df49b70fd37a2f30fa.jpg

This man needs to show up in a glorious fashion. Not only will they seperate this X-Men team from FOX's by bringing in "the first mutant", but radically introduce FF's antihero.
d39acdff6e6e898d66cca340cb7d9d0b.jpg

The MCU has a chance to explore the fascinating exploits of these characters such as Ka-Zar & Sauron in the Savage Land, Shadow King (which I suspect will never see the light of day thanks to sensitive race relations), Storm and Muir Island, and Annihilus and Blastaar in the Negative Zone.
f410f8121e2e149b5d7ea19c97be611f.jpg
f7580a063d7b81e4c37f977c2db4378e.jpg
3bd6a14e85e0c1085deebe86bc7b8d8c.jpg

Last edited:

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
If it were up to me I'd go in the middle between the original line up and cartoon and use the Ultimate X-Men team
latest

I'd get rid of Wolverine because for gods sake we've seen enough of him and it works also because Gambit sucks. Rogue should probably be the villain of a Captain Marvel sequel, although if they do they should swap out Mystique who has been overused.

I prefer the idea of including Namor as the villain in a Black Panther movie, not the second one but maybe the third one. Either way he should show up in something so we can have the Illuminati.

the greenman

If it were up to me I'd go in the middle between the original line up and cartoon and use the Ultimate X-Men team
latest

I'd get rid of Wolverine because for gods sake we've seen enough of him and it works also because Gambit sucks. Rogue should probably be the villain of a Captain Marvel sequel, although if they do they should swap out Mystique who has been overused.

I prefer the idea of including Namor as the villain in a Black Panther movie, not the second one but maybe the third one. Either way he should show up in something so we can have the Illuminati.
Hmmm. Interesting thoughts. I like Gambit and Rogue together. Honestly, that was one of my biggest gripes in X-Men 1. No Gambit, but solo Rogue (who they basically modeled after Jubilee from the animated series).

Your idea of BP versus Namor sounds like Marvel's answer to Flashpoint.

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk

Gold Guy

Two is always better than one
Staff member
Of course, I would love to see him in Black Panther sequels, but I like the article's idea that he could also work in an Ant-Man film.

Yojimbo

Yes, have some.
Staff member
I think Marvel and Sony are just waiting for a good time to announce that Damage Control series. Maybe after Spider-Man: Homecoming 2?
Hard to say, it seems like they've passed on a lot of pitches we don't know about or that's me reading too much into article quotes, lol. Most Wanted is probably the tip of the iceberg. With them stretching the TV to streaming like Netflix, Hulu, and DSS -- then the weird development with New Warriors being made only to not have a slot. Of course, Cloak and Dagger is on the horizon after AOS concludes in May. Those ABC execs keep claiming they're still interested in continuing with a MCU show but with the non-MCU shows in development, makes one skeptical. ABC could have gotten cold feet after Powerless on NBC and with Inhumans -- and perhaps Damage Control is now being retooled in after it went on pause when Homecoming was coming out in theaters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Here's my review of Barbie And Stacie To The Rescue in honor of Cassandra Lee Morris's birthday.
so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!

Featured Posts