"Marvel Anime" Series Talkback (Spoilers)

Rate and Comment - Marvel Anime

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ****1/2

• ***1/2

• **1/2

• *1/2

• 1/2

• Total voters

James Harvey

The World's Finest
Staff member
Administrator
Reporter
Discuss the multiple titles under the Marvel Anime television banner - all the conversation in one place! That includes Iron Man, Wolverine, X-Men, and Blade! Marvel Anime kicks off with Iron Man and Wolverine on G4TV on July 23rd, 2011! Continue below for a breakdown of each series under the Marvel Anime banner:

Iron Man - In an effort to make amends for his weapons manufacturing past, Tony Stark has dedicated himself to building the world up rather than tearing it down. Traveling to Japan to build a new arc reactor that will deliver unlimited free energy to the Japanese people, Stark is challenged by the Japanese government and the media when he attempts to import the necessary nuclear priming device. And when the reactor-in-construction is repeatedly attacked by the mysterious Zodiac consortium, Stark must gather his allies to take on Zodiac and its mastermind.

X-Men - The X-Men are reunited following the death of a teammate, and are summoned by Charles Xavier to Japan following the abduction of Hisako Ichiki (Armor). There, they confront the U-Men, a lunatic cult that steals and transplants mutant organs to further strengthen their own army, and the battle for justice is on.

Wolverine - Based on the popular graphic novel by Frank Miller, the series begins in Japan, where Logan is challenged by Shingen Yashida, the notorious leader of a powerful mafia clan. When Shingen's employee Yukio, a female assassin, falls out of Shingen's favor, she must kill him or be killed. Teaming up with Logan, the pair seek out the villain to exact their revenge.

Blade - Eric Brooks -- known as Blade -- seeks revenge on Deacon Frost, the vampire lord who killed his mother while she was still pregnant with Eric. With all the powers of a vampire and none of their weaknesses, Blade's quest leads him throughout Southeast Asia in search of Frost, and, in Vietnam, he discovers a vampire plot that threatens to take down the whole world.

Marvel Anime airs on G4TV starting July 23rd, 2011! Check your local listings!

Related Discussion
-Marvel Anime News & Discussion Thread, Part 2 (Spoilers)
-Marvel Anime News & Discussion Thread, Part 1 (Spoilers)

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
Watching the Iron Man episode, I guess they changed the intro for television? Unless it was always instrumental.

Also, the Marvel logo is plastered at the bottom left screen for some reason.

{Shadow}

Watching the Iron Man episode, I guess they changed the intro for television? Unless it was always instrumental.

Also, the Marvel logo is plastered at the bottom left screen for some reason.
The opening is supposed to be that way. In fact, the openings/endings for all four series are instrumental.

Definitely not liking the Marvel logo in the corner or the random G4 pop-ups, though.

Manga4life

DYNAMITE's PULP FIESTA BLOG!!!
Hmmm, it's still showing up as a "repeat" on my DVR....

Oh well, no big deal. So far Iron Man is okay, nothing special or anything but it's a decent show so far and I'll check out the series when it officially debutes, it's loads better than that terrible Iron Man show on Nicktoons or Disney XD or whatever network it's on.

spyke

I wonder if any veteran VAs will manage to be cast for a major role in one of these series.

Most likely not while Loeb is in charge of Marvel TV. It's most likely because of Loeb that we got to crappy voice actors to voice both Iron Man and Wolverine in these animes. Steve Blum would have been perfect for either Iron Man or Wolverine, but that would make way too much sense.

Manga4life

Wolverine was pretty darn good in my opinion, I didn't think I was going to like it as much as I did because in the comics I'm not such a big fan due to the fact that he usually seems written to do to much within the X-Men books leaving the rest of the team irrelevant at times. But in a solo anime series with no other X-Men around he's tolorable and sorta enjoyable, I'll definately be catching this series each and every week on G4 until it's finished and I'm looking forward to it's official debut.

My only complaint is the Marvel logo on the left/bottom of the screen, it kind of gets in the way and shouldn't be as big as it is and as high above the bottom as it is, hopefully this will change but I'm doubting it will.

Shredhead

Suck gas evildoers!
Just watched Wolverine and all I'm going to say is I'm just going to buy the dvds switch to the sb version this was horrible if this is what Loeb is going to do while in charge then marvel animation is in for some bad times. Thank god for DC and Young Justice.

Bat-Fan Beyond

I didn't care much for either of these. I didn't like the voice acting at all. Not only were the actors wrong for the roles, but it sounded like they were just reading rather than acting the parts. The plots were interesting, but the storytelling was poorly paced. I also didn't like the character designs or most of the animation. Tony Stark was too creepy looking (more like Dr. Strange actually) and Wolverine was too tall and skinny. Everyone and everything else was in the same typical Japanese anime style that's been used for the past 25 or so years -- Where is the evolution, Japan? No wonder Akira is still considered one of the best of anime. Of course the cityscapes and the tech/mech stuff look great, which is always one of the high points of anime. The look and motion of the Iron Man armors were the only things liked.

I hope the X-Men and Blade shows are better than these two.

I didn't care much for either of these. I didn't like the voice acting at all. Not only were the actors wrong for the roles, but it sounded like they were just reading rather than acting the parts. The plots were interesting, but the storytelling was poorly paced. I also didn't like the character designs or most of the animation. Tony Stark was too creepy looking (more like Dr. Strange actually) and Wolverine was too tall and skinny. Everyone and everything else was in the same typical Japanese anime style that's been used for the past 25 or so years -- Where is the evolution, Japan? No wonder Akira is still considered one of the best of anime. Of course the cityscapes and the tech/mech stuff look great, which is always one of the high points of anime. The look and motion of the Iron Man armors were the only things liked.

I hope the X-Men and Blade shows are better than these two.

This is just MADHouse's typical style. Other studios have their own looks, MADHouse is just using theirs.

From the sound of things...these dubs have turned out exactly how I suspected they would. :p

Mad Hatter

O Frabjous Day!
Every single time Wolverine opened his mouth, I laughed out loud. GOD, I hated these animes. Iron Man wasn't too bad, really, but it just felt badly put together in some places. I just didn't like it, and I can't really pinpoint why. Wolverine, however, I REALLY hated. And it's ALL because of Wolverine. He's too tall, he's too skinny, and he voiced by MILO VENTIMIGLIA.

...I mean, WHO MADE THAT DECISION??? I love Milo Ventimiglia, but dear GOD, he's the wrong choice for Wolverine. Steven Blum would have made this work, even with this model. Actually, I take that back. This model is so horrible, that Wolverine himself, if he stepped out of comic books and became real, his voice wouldn't make this character more credible. And every time he spoke, all I could see was Milo Ventimiglia putting on his tough voice and FAILING UTTERLY. It's hilarious!!! Why both of the brothers from Heroes. I mean, Pasdar wasn't that bad as Tony Stark/Iron Man, but Ventimiglia? VENTIMIGLIA???
And every time the G4 trailer came up with his voice saying, "I smell blood," my reaction was as follows:

*phbbth* BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!

Otherwise, the story and animation of the OTHER characters wasn't that bad. At least for Wolverine. Iron Man's story was shoddily put together.
You get him in the suit after Stark "retires" (yeah, like that was going to last long) and suddenly he fights the Dio suit, and BAM, Scorpio shows up OUT OF NOWHERE, talking about the Great Zodiac. It's not a bad idea, but WHERE DID THAT COME FROM??? Nowhere? EXACTLY!!!
Sorry...I just kind of hated it. Nothing against anime AT ALL. I just kind of hated it. Still watching Blade and X-Men, though.

Bat-Fan Beyond

This is just MADHouse's typical style. Other studios have their own looks, MADHouse is just using theirs.

Yeah, I get that. And I don't mean to sound like I think that all anime is typical and the same. I love a lot of it, but there's even more of it that I don't like, and this is an example of the style that was used before Madhouse came along, but they keep running with it. After Wicked City and Ninja Scroll, I would just like to see something different from them in style and design. By now Madhouse should have progressed some.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Only watched a snippet of Iron Man tonight, a scene in the news room, and it really felt like I was listening to a dub from the early 90s. It just didn't feel right.

Manga4life

I actually really liked the voice overs in Wolverine, I wasnt crazy about them in Iron Man but I didn't think they were god awful or anything like that.

Chaos Yoshi Mage

The Lonely Raven
I didn't hate Milo's Wolverine nearly as much as I thought I would. It was nothing special, but I didn't find it too distracting. And, yeah, Iron Man's first episode was pretty bad, it felt so thrown together. Hopefully, it gets better, I really liked Wolverine though...

darkpower

I'm looking forward to this! The premire of Wolverine and Ironman were great! I can't wait for them to air regularly. I like that these shows are a bit more mature than the usual cartoons.

jph139

Immortal
I heard pretty bad things, but I thought they were both solid. The voices weren't BAD - just flat. The animation quality was passable (though they do feel somewhat antiquated in style), and the plots are simplistic but passable.

Great action in Wolverine, in particular. And the fact they have the Yashida Clan AND Advanced Idea Mechanics AND Madriopoor all in one series... hell, I can forgive Milo's overdone faux-gruffness and a slapdash plot. That's just pure fanservice by my count.

Venom Melendez

I will laugh if Idris Elba get the Blade role.

Well, Blade is british. So Elba wouldn't be a bad choice for blade. He also did Voice work for an episode of Aqua Unit Patrol Squad.

Though i know the chracter Elba really wants to play is Luke Cage.

Looks like the only news from the Marvel Anime panel at SDCC earlier today was the voice actor for Cyclops: Scott Porter.

Looking at his imdb page, this appears to be his first voicework. (Not counting Robot Chicken, which isn't exactly "normal" animation voice acting, and he was only part of a single episode anyway.)

He also is doing voice work for X-men: Destiny.

Just watched Wolverine and all I'm going to say is I'm just going to buy the dvds switch to the sb version this was horrible if this is what Loeb is going to do while in charge then marvel animation is in for some bad times. Thank god for DC and Young Justice.

Err, the Marvel Anime stuff started before Loeb got his TV position.

I think he was up for the part of Superman in that Justice League movie at one point. I wonder if any veteran VAs will manage to be cast for a major role in one of these series.

JB Blanc is voicing Omega Red, Cindy Robinson is Pepper Pots. Kyle Hebert, Laura Baily, Cripin Freeman are doing Voice overs for these shows too.

Last edited by a moderator:

Space Cadet

I'M SWEATING
Staff member
I asked Son of the Bronx for ratings of the sneak peak on Saturday and he was able to provide it:

Iron Man(8 pm)
- 171,000 total viewers

Wolverine(8:30 pm)
-172,000 total viewers

Not bad for G4. I'll be interested in how the official premiere does tonight.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts