"Marvel Animation on Hulu" General News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Via the Hollywood Reporter, Marvel is producing four new adult animated series which will debut on Hulu. The current titles are M.O.D.O.K., Hit-Monkey, Tigra & Dazzler Show and Howard the Duck. There will also be a special cross-over between the shows, titled The Offenders.

Adult animated series based on popular Marvel Television characters MODOK, Hit-Monkey, Tigra & Dazzler and Howard the Duck have been ordered to series. Similar to Netflix's original four-series deal, all of the Hulu animated shows will culminate in a special — called The Offenders. (Netflix's Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Iron Fist and Luke Cage culminated with miniseries mash-up The Defenders.) All four of the Hulu series — and special — will be exec produced by Marvel Television head Jeph Loeb. They will expand Marvel's slate at Hulu, which already includes drama series The Runaways, which is awaiting word on its third season after its sophomore run dropped all its episodes on Dec. 21.
For Hulu, the four Marvel series arrive as animation has become a powerhouse for the streamer. Series including Adult Swim's Rick and Morty, Comedy Central's South Park, Fox's Family Guy and Bob's Burgers are all among the streamer's most-watched acquired programming. Based on their performance, Hulu has continued to invest in the animated space with Solar Opposites, an original series from Rick and Morty co-creator Justin Roiland.
M.O.D.O.K. centers around an egomaniacal supervillain with a really big head and a really little body, who struggles to maintain control of his evil organization and his demanding family. Writers Jordan Blum and Patton Oswalt will also executive produce.
Hit-Monkey tells the tale of a wronged Japanese snow monkey, mentored by the ghost of an American assassin, as he cuts a wide swath through the Tokyo underworld in this darkly cinematic and brutally funny revenge saga. Writers Josh Gordon and Will Speck will executive produce.

EDIT 01/24/2020: Howard the Duck and Tigra & Dazzler were cancelled. The Offenders likely cancelled as well.

EDIT 02/25/2021: M.O.D.O.K. premieres on Friday, May 21.

EDIT 09/17/2021: Hit Monkey premieres on Wednesday, November 17.

Comments?
Stay tuned for further updates!

Last edited:

thisguyisnotcool

Not characters or shows I expected to see get the animation treatment.
I have a couple of questions tho. Who's doing the animation? Is Adult, kid, or all ages focused? What does this mean for the current Marvel Animation projects?
Edit: It does say adult animated. That's what I get skimming through

Frontier

Staff member
Well, I can't say I saw any of this coming :eek:.

At first I thought this was some kind of April Fool's joke. I mean, Tigra and Dazzler? Adult cartoons? "The Offenders?" It all kind of seems a little too silly, but what can you do :p.

Well, it's nice to see Marvel Animation finally branching out and doing something different, both in terms of character focus and audience-wise, even if I don't think this is what anyone was expecting from the future of Marvel Animation o_O.

And should we count Tigra and Dazzler as an X-Men cartoon? So is this the first X-Men cartoon since WaTXM 10 years ago :oops:?

I wonder, with them attached to the projects, if Patton Oswalt will be playing MODOK and Chelsea Handler will be Dazzler? I kind of wouldn't be surprised if that was the case :sweat:.

I also wonder if this confirms DisMarvel will be sending all their "adult" productions to Hulu with the Fox deal while the more all-ages stuff gets sent to Disney+ :confused:?

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
Marvel animation completely given up on making good serious action cartoons so now they're just giving up and admitting they're making comedies.

Frontier

Staff member

brodie999

Well, I can't say I saw any of this coming :eek:.

At first I thought this was some kind of April Fool's joke. I mean, Tigra and Dazzler? Adult cartoons? "The Offenders?" It all kind of seems a little too silly, but what can you do :p.

Well, it's nice to see Marvel Animation finally branching out and doing something different, both in terms of character focus and audience-wise, even if I don't think this is what anyone was expecting from the future of Marvel Animation o_O.

And should we count Tigra and Dazzler as an X-Men cartoon? So is this the first X-Men cartoon since WaTXM 10 years ago :oops:?

I wonder, with them attached to the projects, if Patton Oswalt will be playing MODOK and Chelsea Handler will be Dazzler? I kind of wouldn't be surprised if that was the case :sweat:.

I also wonder if this confirms DisMarvel will be sending all their "adult" productions to Hulu with the Fox deal while the more all-ages stuff gets sent to Disney+ :confused:?
Agreed. This might be also a sign Disney/Marvel are making these shows set in the larger MCU since Cort Lane said animated MCU projects were in the works almost 4 years ago. I'd actually be surprised if Seth Green reprised his role as Howard the Duck in his own show and the Offenders miniseries. Disney really wants to expand the universe on all their networks, including FX and 20th Century Fox Television when the Disney-Fox deal is finalised.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Howard could be great if done right. Dazzler has always been a secret fave though I don't consider her a comedic character. Tigra is pretty fun. I know nothing about Hit Monkey. I like MODOK as a weird antagonist but I don't understand giving him a series.

Did they forget about Deadpool? She Hulk would make a great addition cartoon.

Looking through the article, I'm not sure if this will be for me but I do wish them the best.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Webbed-Wonder

Still thwipping!
This was the kind of thing I was hoping for from Marvel animation next, unexpected properties getting cartoons and skewed to older audiences to boot! I'm a big fan of Howard the Duck and the recent comic series so I'm pretty excited to see more about that one.

Bit weird the Deadpool FX series died and now we're getting a Hit-Monkey show instead, feels like it's a replacement.

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
So because they're using Dazzler will the ban on X-Men and FF characters be lifted for these shows?

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
So because they're using Dazzler will the ban on X-Men and FF characters be lifted for these shows?
The ongoing buyout already made the Marvel Entertainment embargos feel nonsensical. Judging from the way they were streaming and uploading Fantastic Four cartoons to YouTube last month, along with all kinds of other promotions, I just have a feeling that the days of the embargo or probably over. It just remains to see what they're working on for the future, which includes this Dazzler/Tigra show.

I wonder what kind of animation methods they are going to use for these shows. I'm a little hesitant to automatically believe that they'll really experiment visually with these shows but I do hope they give the shows a fighting chance. I hope to see something that's visually more along the lines of The Boondocks or Venture Bros and not that All-Winners Squad pilot they did years ago.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

WebMasterSage

Obey the Pecking Order.
Yay. Marvel's finally gonna have their answer to Harley Quinn. Sign me up!

Agreed. This might be also a sign Disney/Marvel are making these shows set in the larger MCU since Cort Lane said animated MCU projects were in the works almost 4 years ago. I'd actually be surprised if Seth Green reprised his role as Howard the Duck in his own show and the Offenders miniseries. Disney really wants to expand the universe on all their networks, including FX and 20th Century Fox Television when the Disney-Fox deal is finalised.
Nah. Their gonna compete with DC's Harley Quinn when it comes to Adult Cartoon. Just watch, Howard the Duck is gonna be voiced by Dave Willis ala Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Neo Ultra Mike

Creeping Shadow of "15000"+ Posts
Did they forget about Deadpool? She Hulk would make a great addition cartoon.

Honestly I think unlike DC, Marvel generally tries to have their characters split up specifically through one venue to better connect them to one specific universe. So except for really kids fare like Avengers Assemble and Marvel's Spider Man you typically are probably only going to see a character properly represented through one medium. Even the streaming Disney Play shows still have all of those actors replaying their roles from the MCU films but yeah this is clearly being it's own thing with characters who either would only appear as cameos in MCU films or not really at all.

Honestly I am glad to see Marvel diversify and try to give unique characters set up in an avenue they haven't explored before especially since we kind of need new venues for adult animation outside of just FOX and Adult Swim and Comedy Central. Yeah you do have Netflix but those wouldn't ever have a license for shows such as this thus what makes them unique so allow me to go over these ideas one at a time.

Howard The Duck: I do hope Lea Thompson is involved in this project. You remember she was Beverly in the Howard the Duck movie but also actually wanted to direct and make her own Howard the Duck Movie and pitched something to Marvel they apparently liked but we never heard anything about that so hope that helped lead to this. Since honestly a Howard the Duck cartoon makes more sense then just a movie. You can still get Seth Green to voice the character from the Guardians movies for the connection but still have him do his own thing since yeah Howard has had a lot of adventures over the years that really haven't been explored in other venues but this seems like the perfect chance to do so. Of course Kevin Smith and Dave Willis are good choices to work on this. And though I love the insanity of ATHF kind of hope this is a more uh grounded show then other things Willis has written for.

M.O.D.O.K: You know rewtaching the Phineas and Ferb crossover this guy was in, I kind of realize why a show with him would work; even if you still had him as the meglomanical villain the strange appearance and general attitude of this guy wouldn't really properly command respect and lead to a lot of zany antics. I think also Marvel realized this is probably one of their bigger villains they... really can't use in a movie. Like okay you can make a lot of concepts from the comics that seem silly look great in the films be it Rocket Raccoon, Korg, Thanos, ... giant helper ants from Ant Man and the Wasp but... you can't really do that for M.O.D.O.K. His appearance just wouldn't make sense in life aciton so getting him to star in something animated works plus I like the idea of this group having a straight up villain in it. Like that wouldn't normally work for a team up series but I think this honestly would.

Tigra and Dazzler: Yeah since Dazzler is supposedly going to be in Dark Phoenix pretty clear Marvel Disney at least on some front can move ahead with actually doing something with the X-Men related characters including giving one of the... obscurely retro mutants a series with Tigra. And though Dazzler has popped up here and there she's still more known for her stint as being you know dated popular in the 80's before being forgotten which is more then Tigra who yeah seems like was replaced with White Tiger as I only really remember Tigra being a thing in Avengers United they stand... the forgotten Avengers cartoon from 20 years ago. I could complain that the only female starring series has to be sold on two leads instead of one but I like the idea of these two obscure characters wanting to be well known in a city with likely more famous heroes so being sort of underdogs despite only one being really animal like. Though speaking of animals...

Hit Monkey: Yeah I had never heard of Hit Monkey until today. I mean not like I was the biggest fan of those other characters but I have seen them in things and knew they were marvel characters. Never heard of Hit Monkey though but looking through his info and even the info on the show it oddly enough seems like it will be the most serious even if it will be funny which would be nice. i know all of these shows are suppose to be comedy but I want them to all be different types of comedy since all being super goofball off the wall wouldn't really work and having a variety would especially make the team coming together at the end even funnier. Speaking of that...

The Offenders: Huh so is Marvel taking the name from this family guy joke?

I get the point is that these are not only guys who don't get along but probably cause as much damage as they try to stop and are probably rude and aggressive about it but... seems like there could of been a better name for them. Like The Terrors or The Unlikelys or something like that. Still interesting mix of characters and hopefully unlike the Defenders they'll come together into a team that will last more then... a season.

Frontier

Staff member
This was the kind of thing I was hoping for from Marvel animation next, unexpected properties getting cartoons and skewed to older audiences to boot! I'm a big fan of Howard the Duck and the recent comic series so I'm pretty excited to see more about that one.
I agree, although on a personal level I was hoping for more serious fare for content aimed at older audiences then it seems like they are going with for these shows :sweat:.
Nah. Their gonna compete with DC's Harley Quinn when it comes to Adult Cartoon. Just watch, Howard the Duck is gonna be voiced by Dave Willis ala Carl from Aqua Teen Hunger Force.
I'm thinking Kevin Smith might end up voicing Howard (even though I kinda wish they kept Seth Green for consistency) since it's "his" show.
Could they really be doing a Dazzler show otherwise? And Hit-Monkey is technically a Deadpool character :p.

brodie999

Yay. Marvel's finally gonna have their answer to Harley Quinn. Sign me up!

Well, I agree about the whole DC's Harley Quinn competition, but given Marvel Television's name on the shows, it makes me hope they'll tie in with the MCU. Even though fans keep denying it, Marvel knows everything is connected.

Dudley

Staff member
Well, I certainly didn’t see these cartoons coming. And they’re not even being produced by Marvel Animation. Is preproduction of cartoons actually being done in Marvel Television now?

Ah well, it’s great that we’re getting cartoons based on more obscure Marvel characters. I never even heard of Hit Monkey before.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

so, with primal screen going down, I wonder how that affected Cartoon Network since they using that studio to do the bumpers for years now, are they going to start working with the animation studio who did the bumpers for adult swim now
It is now officially 20 years since I joined here.
I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.

Featured Posts