"Marvel Animation on Hulu" General News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Latest News & Videos

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Mar 8, 2009
A Valid Location
It's weird to think how in about a year, half of Marvel's Hulu projects (including the live-action stuff) were canceled. Howard the Duck's show was one of the things I was kind of looking forward to, it's kind of a shame it's been cancelled already. I also wasn't expecting them to completely cancel Tigra & Dazzler's show, I guess the crew re-organizing from last year was foreshadowing this, but still.

I guess MODOK is pretty much the "biggest" name they have plans for now. Given the recent cast announcements I think (hope?) this one will make it through but I don't want to jinx it or anything. His show was probably the one I was most interested in anyway. I don't think we heard anything about Hit-Monkey since the initial announcements, so I am not sure what to think about that one. But I presume the Offenders cross-over won't be happening either.

Reactions: Frontier

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
It's weird to think how in about a year, half of Marvel's Hulu projects (including the live-action stuff) were canceled. Howard the Duck's show was one of the things I was kind of looking forward to, it's kind of a shame it's been cancelled already. I also wasn't expecting them to completely cancel Tigra & Dazzler's show, I guess the crew re-organizing from last year was foreshadowing this, but still.

I guess MODOK is pretty much the "biggest" name they have plans for now. Given the recent cast announcements I think (hope?) this one will make it through but I don't want to jinx it or anything. His show was probably the one I was most interested in anyway. I don't think we heard anything about Hit-Monkey since the initial announcements, so I am not sure what to think about that one. But I presume the Offenders cross-over won't be happening either.
In before they still do a crossover with shows that weren't even made :p.

Reactions: RoyalRubble

Freddy

Aug 1, 2012
Not going to lie, Howard the Duck was the only one of these shows I was looking forward to (mostly thanks to Kevin Smith's involment), so this really killed all the hype for me. I have a feeling that, since stop-motion is time consuming and expensive, the only reason why MODOK survived was because it was so far into the production.

Dudley

Staff member
Aug 10, 2003
East Coast of USA
www.dtoons.com
I wonder why they got cancelled. I assume this is all some big shake-up by having Marvel Studios handle all the media now.
Maybe they rather have the cartoons target kids instead of adults.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magmaster12

Master of MAGnets
Staff member
Reporter
Dec 31, 2013
I wonder why they got cancelled. I assume this is all some big shake-up by having Marvel Studios handle all the media now.
If they feel that way they should at least try to put in the effort.
There's a lot of stuff you can do in animation that you can't in live-action and helps other shows stand out I have never been angrier at Marvel Studios over something yeesh.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
I have gotten the sense that Marvel looks at animation as more exclusively being for kids then something that can be aimed at a more diverse audience.

Maybe that's why the Deadpool cartoon never got off the ground.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Feb 27, 2008
177A Bleecker Street
Isn't this the type of thing that always happens when management at a studio changes? The shows that the old execs were championing usually get pushed out of the way or brought to the bottom of the totem pole. I'm not too sad about this although I do think still that Howard the Duck is a phenomenal idea for an adult animation series (same with Deadpool). The whole Offenders thing always seemed like it would have been randomly thrown together.

I just hope that there's a game plan for Marvel animation outside of What If and Moon Girl. They're planning so much live action and I love live action but animation is still a medium that has way more endless possibilities in my mind. I've
wanted Grade 1, Prestige, Triple AAA Marvel Animation my entire life and I really thought we were getting that with the Disney buyout but that's been laughable. I really hope somebody is going to shake things up right now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Fone Bone

Matt Zimmer
Marvel is a mess when it comes to canceling stuff. What's most infuriating is that most of the stuff that's canceled is either popular, great, or both, and the shows are canceled not due to low ratings, but corporate mergers or production companies folding. The five popular Netflix shows were only canceled because the licensing fees were too expensive. Hopefully the clean break from Marvel Television will fix things but I am well aware that Marvel has done more than a dozen live-action series since Agents Of SHIELD, and the only one with a definite and satisfying end was Legion. And the only animated show with a definite and satisfying ending was Ultimate Spider-Man. Marvel's biggest weakness is their licensing to studios that can't survive in the long-term. Hopefully Marvel Studios taking over the TV aspect and most of the new stuff landing at Disney + will change things.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
Isn't this the type of thing that always happens when management at a studio changes? The shows that the old execs were championing usually get pushed out of the way or brought to the bottom of the totem pole. I'm not too sad about this although I do think still that Howard the Duck is a phenomenal idea for an adult animation series (same with Deadpool). The whole Offenders thing always seemed like it would have been randomly thrown together.

I just hope that there's a game plan for Marvel animation outside of What If and Moon Girl. They're planning so much live action and I love live action but animation is still a medium that has way more endless possibilities in my mind. I've
wanted Grade 1, Prestige, Triple AAA Marvel Animation my entire life and I really thought we were getting that with the Disney buyout but that's been laughable. I really hope somebody is going to shake things up right now.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I'm curious when we'll get a good game plan of Marvel's (and Kevin Feige's) animation plan in the future. For now there just doesn't seem to be much of one :confused:.
Marvel is a mess when it comes to canceling stuff. What's most infuriating is that most of the stuff that's canceled is either popular, great, or both, and the shows are canceled not due to low ratings, but corporate mergers or production companies folding. The five popular Netflix shows were only canceled because the licensing fees were too expensive. Hopefully the clean break from Marvel Television will fix things but I am well aware that Marvel has done more than a dozen live-action series since Agents Of SHIELD, and the only one with a definite and satisfying end was Legion. And the only animated show with a definite and satisfying ending was Ultimate Spider-Man. Marvel's biggest weakness is their licensing to studios that can't survive in the long-term. Hopefully Marvel Studios taking over the TV aspect and most of the new stuff landing at Disney + will change things.
Spectacular got canceled because Marvel got the animation rights back, WaTXM got canceled because of funding issues (and maybe because of the Disney buyout), I guess corporate meddling is basically why EMH got canceled...

bigdaddy313

Jul 23, 2012
For those of us living outside the states it looks like Hulu will finally be available starting in March.
Which makes sense since Disney+ is finally available in Europe and the U.K. in March.

Disney fully owns Hulu, it explains a lot of what is happening with the restructuring and all with the CEO stepping down, cancellation and FX streaming service not moving forward.

I believe this gives Marvel Studios opportunity to do their own R rated content both in Movies, TV and Animation. Now we have a place where Deadpool 3 can show after their theatrical release, adult TV and Animation content.

I know people might be bummed about Offenders cancellation but Kevin Feige is shutting down Marvel Entertainment projects to produce his own.

Frontier

Staff member
May 28, 2010
Temecula California
Here's an interview with Ben Schwartz. I haven't listened to the entire video at the bottom of the page, just read through the article, but he also talks a little about the MODOK show.
Kind of surprised this is Schwartz' first comic book show. Or this of all things requires so much secrecy :p.

He may play a lot characters in blue, but I'll always remember him as a ninja in black ;).

I did not know about his involvement with the sequel Star Wars films. That's cool :).

Reactions: RoyalRubble

Medinnus

Staff member
Oct 21, 2010
Colorado Springs
The irony of Disney's apparent attitude towards Marvel animation by a company whose foundation and emphasis for decades has been animated features is astonishing, to my mind.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Dedicated to everyone who, in these hard pandemic times, try celebrating the Fourth of July while using merpeople as means of escape from all this ruckus.
Asa
Happy Birthday, America!

The best way to celebrate 4th of July
Viper wrote on Light Lucario's profile.
Hi, Light Lucario. I just want to wish you a Happy 4th of July. I'll be having a nice barbecue and then see the fireworks tonight. I hope you have a very safe & Happy 4th of July.
pacman000 wrote on Peter Paltridge's profile.