"Marvel Animation on Disney+" News & Discussion (Spoilers)

TargetmasterJoe

I don't know if we're at the point where Disney buying out Sony is possible.

I don’t think we’re there either, but if anything happens to Sony Pictures (either going belly up or getting bought by Apple or whatever), I wouldn’t be surprised if we suddenly got MCU!Spider-Man movies and Spectacular Spider-Man on Disney+ shortly after. Though what will pleasantly surprise me is if SSM winds up getting a season 3.

And before anyone says that wouldn’t happen, Young Justice season 3 exists. (Bonus points because both shows were from Greg Weisman.)

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Just thought I'd bring this up here as well - new reports say the budgets for the Marvel/Disney+ shows would be between $12 million to $25 million per episode. I believe this is mainly about the live-action shows though, but I imagine the animated stuff might have a bigger than usual budget as well.

Frontier

Staff member
Just thought I'd bring this up here as well - new reports say the budgets for the Marvel/Disney+ shows would be between $12 million to $25 million per episode. I believe this is mainly about the live-action shows though, but I imagine the animated stuff might have a bigger than usual budget as well.
Well, they've only got What If (if we're limiting it to the Marvel shows)...what I've seen so far doesn't necessarily look feature film quality, but it does seem pretty good :).

Definitely seem to be an improvement from the regular cartoons...

Mostezli

N0t 4 3very1 & Th@t'$ OK
And before anyone says that wouldn’t happen, Young Justice season 3 exists. (Bonus points because both shows were from Greg Weisman.)
Which is no different from other revivals.
SSM s3 has the impossible task of one company passing the torch onto another,
which is literally what got it cancelled in the first place.

TargetmasterJoe

So after 5 weeks of belly-aching from all sides, the Disney/Sony deal to share Spider-Man got renewed to have one more Spider-Movie in the MCU and another MCU ensemble movie. (This will inevitably get a new deal later.)

Apparently, Sony got the okay from Disney to feature Tom Holland as Spider-Man in their SUMC. And maybe it means Sony can do those TV shows it wanted to do? (Details are pretty thin beyond "Spidey is staying in the MCU while a slightly different one is swinging in the SUMC.")

So with this renewed deal, are we one step closer to having The Spectacular Spider-Man on Disney+ or not really?

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Last edited:

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Basically, I think the only things missing so far are - The Marvel Super Heroes Show from the 60s, the New Fantastic Four, the MTV Spidey show, Spectacular Spider-Man, Super Hero Squad Show, the Marvel Anime series (both the regular anime stuff and the ones that didn't even make it to the US yet) and Marvel Rising specials. I think the "Secret Warriors" movie is listed, but no other Marvel animated movies are mentioned in there yet from what I can tell.

I presume there will be updates regularly so we'll see what other stuff they will add eventually.

On another note, that doesn't really have to do with anything, I just realized - Disney+ is launching a year after Stan Lee's death.

Last edited:

Frontier

Staff member
Basically, I think the only things missing so far are - The Marvel Super Heroes Show from the 60s, the New Fantastic Four, the MTV Spidey show, Spectacular Spider-Man, Super Hero Squad Show, the Marvel Anime series (both the regular anime stuff and the ones that didn't even make it to the US yet) and Marvel Rising specials. I think the "Secret Warriors" movie is listed, but no other Marvel animated movies are mentioned in there yet from what I can tell.
Spectacular isn't surprising. I wonder if the MTV show has the same rights issue.

To be honest, I get the sense Marvel and Disney want to pretend the anime's don't exist :sweat:.

Little surprised about Super Hero Squad :confused:.
On another note, that doesn't really have to do with anything, I just realized - Disney+ is launching a year after Stan Lee's death.
Hmm...wonder how conscious they might have been of that.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Little surprised about Super Hero Squad :confused:.

They put the show up on YouTube last year, too. I can't imagine why it wouldn't go up here.

Hanna Barbera's Fantastic Four is my favorite 60s Marvel show. I wish Marvel and WB had some kind of agreement already where Marvel acquired it and it could be used here like Spider-Man, WB would do an archive release like they did with all the other old Hanna-Barbera stuff.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TargetmasterJoe

Hulkwummy

Don't forget about Wolverine and the X-Men, and maybe some pitched shows like Hulk : Gamma Corps.

Greg91

Reporter
Wow. This is huge news. I have no idea how Feige is handling all this. I've produced a short film and that is already stressful.

In regards to animation, I am hopeful Marvel gets back on track when it comes to animation. However you feel about the more recent shows (I really like Guardians of the Galaxy and Marvel's Spider-Man, for example), they don't have the reputation and fan-fare of hit shows such as The Spectacular Spider-Man, Wolverine and the X-Men or The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. I'm not necessarily looking for revivals of those shows (especially considering the legal rights of Spec Spidey). I would like to see some brand-new fresh series like a new X-Men series, Thor, Captain America or even a Black Widow show.

I'm definitely hoping for the best when it comes to Marvel animation's future.

Frontier

Staff member
In Marvel-related news:

Kevin Feige is now Chief Creative Officer of Marvel in general.

So TV shows, cartoons, comics? Kevin gets to call the shots.

Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige Adds Marvel Chief Creative Officer Title; He’ll Oversee All Creative & Story Initiatives

Not sure about the video games side, though. Ike Perlmutter might still have dibs on that.

(Give us revivals of The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes and The Spectacular Spider-Man on Disney+, Kevin.)
I'm kind of curious to see what this means on an animated front.

I really hope this doesn't mean more cartoons or animations that has to cater to or be set in the MCU.

Did Feige get to approve Moon Girl?

Frontier

Staff member
I'm looking forward to diverse and unique Marvel Animation projects. What If and Moon Girl already couldn't look any more different. I'm really hoping we see a better era coming.
Moon Girl is definitely unique, but What If seems more directly Feige and makes me somewhat concerned as to whether the cartoons will still be very MCU-oriented.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Understood. I'm okay with some animation tied directly into the MCU. I always wanted to see stuff like a Captain America DTV that was more in depth about some of his war missions and other such stories that might fill in some gaps. I'd hate to see the only animation being done having to be tied in or having to be like the MCU version though. I was burned out on that before the end of "The Avengers Protocol".

I'm still waiting to get that top tier X-Men series I've wanted for the past 7 years. I hope that it's not CGI and that it's not beholden to the MCU or anything else.

Last edited:

M.O.D.O.K.

Scientist Supreme
Staff member
I actually don't feel too excited by the announcement. I enjoy the MCU overall, but I felt one of the biggest issues with most of the current Marvel Animation projects was that they tried too hard to copy the MCU and the modern comics instead of having their own identity. Plus, I don't really think Fiege will be THAT involved in the creative process, especially since he is spreading himself thin over other aspects.

I just hope they address two of the other biggest faults with the current shows: lack of budget and spotty writing and storytelling.

Frontier

Staff member
Understood. I'm okay with animation directly into the MCU. I always wanted to see stuff like a Captain America DTV that more in depth about some of his war missions and other such stories that might fill in some gaps. I'd hate to see the only animation being done having to be tied in or having to be like the MCU version though. I was burned out on that before the end of "The Avengers Protocol".

I'm still waiting to get that top tier X-Men series I've wanted for the past 7 years. I hope that it's not CGI and that it's not beholden to the MCU or anything else.

In practice I'm not against animated entries set in the MCU, particularly if they can get the actual stars back like they did for What If, but I don't want that to be the only kind of serious animation Marvel produces :sweat:.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

I have to lay low for awhile. I need to take a break from this for right now, but I'll be back soon.
Bought Cat City (1986) on Prime today. Never seen it before, looking forward to watching it!
Super Metroid on the SNES turns 30 today in North America.
The sub-only anime releases in North America are the invention of the 2010s.
Not all of Family Guy has aged well (and he knows this - hell, he's friends with the PTC president now) but I genuinely think Seth MacFarlane is a really good guy.

Featured Posts