"Marvel's What If?" (Disney+ Animated Series) News & Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dudley

Staff member
A What If show could be great! Hopefully it’ll be better than the Marvel cartoons they’ve been making for TV.
Wow, so that’s like the third animated series expected exclusively for the service (I’m including Legend of the Three Cabelleros).

Frontier

Staff member
A What If show could be great! Hopefully it’ll be better than the Marvel cartoons they’ve been making for TV.
Wow, so that’s like the third animated series expected exclusively for the service (I’m including Legend of the Three Cabelleros).
There's a part of me that also can't help but wonder if they might finally premier the dubs for the Avengers anime's on Disney+.

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
We have What If? supposedly in the works. I still think Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur might be going to the service. If those two turn out to be real, the only other show I really wish for right now would be a new X-Men series. It's been too long for me.

I think a Moon Girl show aimed at the TV-Y crowd, X-Men for TV-Y7, and What If? for TV-PG could be a pretty cool selection of Marvel shows if they're all well done and everything, ideally. This is wishful thinking though. Disney and Marvel might have completely different offerings in mind.

I was thinking of the What If? Issue that they said would be adapted "What if Loki had found the hammer of Thor?" and that got me wondering how this would be able to be based on the MCU. I just remembered that, during the first Thor movie, we saw what happens when Loki came across the hammer in SHIELD custody. He wasn't able to lift it. I've never read that issue before but I'm really curious what they're going to do here. I guess finding it doesn't mean that he necessarily needs to be able to lift it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Frontier

Staff member
Kevin Feige talks about the show and the first "What If" story.
Feige also revealed the studio would be debuting its first animated series What If, which is based off of the classic comic book series which looks at key moments in Marvel history and asks, "What if things had gone differently?" It will feature voice talent from Marvel's big-screen projects, and the first episode will ask what if Peggy Carter had taken the super soldier serum, leaving Steve Rogers as a scrawny kid who eventually joins the World War II fight thanks to a metal suit made by Tony Stark's father Howard Stark.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Nice to finally have confirmation about this project.

The first story sounds decent enough. It kind of reminds me of Stargirl and STRIPE, a little. And I'm going to presume Steve's armor will use the Iron Patriot design.

Frontier

Staff member
I expect they'll get Hayley Atwell and Chris Evans back, but I wonder if they could get Dominic Cooper and other members of the original cast of First Avenger :)?

I could see Red Skull being Russ Marquand if he's in this.
I know this is a "What If?" story, but isn't it a bit out there for Howard Stark to be able to make a suit that Steve can use to fight in WWII? Bah. Maybe I'm just overthinking things.
Prepare for steam-powered Captain America Iron Man :p.
Nice to finally have confirmation about this project.

The first story sounds decent enough. It kind of reminds me of Stargirl and STRIPE, a little. And I'm going to presume Steve's armor will use the Iron Patriot design.
I guess I could see it using the Iron Patriot colors, if only because those are also Captain America's colors ;).

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Given the live-action Marvel shows announced for Disney+ are supposed to be mini-series (6 or 8 episodes, I think), I wonder if this will also have a shorter amount of episodes. Or if it would be doubled if they need 6-8 hours of content for each show, since I kind of doubt the animated series will have episodes longer than 30 minutes (give or take a few minutes). Either way, I'm looking forward to this.

So we already have ideas for 2 of the episodes - Peggy Carter as Captain America, and Loki gaining Thor's hammer. Not too surprised they will focus on the big Avengers, at least at first. I imagine they will get to the likes of Spidey and a few others eventually.

Also, slightly off-topic but kind of funny - if they use the Iron Patriot armor for this Peggy & Steve story, I'm sort of reminded of how another What If?/Elseworlds project (Justice League: Gods and Monsters) was going to use a similar design for the Steel & Citizen Steel composite character, before the project was scrapped.

Frontier

Staff member
Given the live-action Marvel shows announced for Disney+ are supposed to be mini-series (6 or 8 episodes, I think), I wonder if this will also have a shorter amount of episodes. Or if it would be doubled if they need 6-8 hours of content for each show, since I kind of doubt the animated series will have episodes longer than 30 minutes (give or take a few minutes). Either way, I'm looking forward to this.
I could see this maybe being 10-13 episodes, give or take.

I am kind of surprised they haven't announced more cartoons for the service though. Really curious to see what they do on that front :confused:.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
Honestly, I expect there would be a reasonable budget behind this. It was reported the live-action shows would have a bigger budget than a normal TV show, and it was hinted they were putting some real effort into the Marvel toons for Hulu. So I see no real reason why these would be an exception. (Of course, it's only a theory :p)

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
I'm really looking forward to hearing more about who will be behind What If?, and eventually getting an idea of what the show will look like. If they do end up trying to replicate designs based on the movies, I hope they are more successful at it than the Disney XD shows were.

I imagine some other animation studio might be involved with production since Marvel Studios has no division dedicated to animation or anything.

Frontier

Staff member
I'm really looking forward to hearing more about who will be behind What If?, and eventually getting an idea of what the show will look like. If they do end up trying to replicate designs based on the movies, I hope they are more successful at it than the Disney XD shows were.

I imagine some other animation studio might be involved with production since Marvel Studios has no division dedicated to animation or anything.

I am kind of leaning towards them using Titmouse, if only because they're doing the Moon Girl cartoon and also some of those cool Star Wars animations based on older movies :).

The Overlord

I could not find a thread for this news (despite being a bit old), but it looks like Marvel is making a What If animated anthology series for Disney plus:

Now What if comics were kinda fun, due to not having to worry about continuity or long term consequences, so they can just kill characters off. What If comics can be super silly or super dark, depending on the subject matter. You can go from stories where the Watcher is acting silly because no one is watching him to stories where the galaxy gets destroyed or demons invade Earth and use humans as slaves and food:

Though this What If series seems to be focused on the MCU, rather then the regular Marvel Universe. I doubt they will get the MCU actors back for this series (they can just hire sound-alikes), so what kind of scenarios would you like to see in this series?

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I was expecting this to premiere a little sooner, not in like 2 years from now, but I can wait. Especially if it means they're not going to rush the animation process or anything.

Frontier

Staff member
I guess I'll need to put this out of my head until it happens. That's life. I love animation but it's a long process and I always want it now.

If a longer wait time means a stronger looking product visually from the usual Marvel cartoons, I'll say it would be well worth the wait :).

Rick Jones

fan-man
Staff member
Fingers crossed. I'm hoping for animation as good or better than the best we've ever seen involving Marvel characters. This has to be a real prestige series. I also hope we get about 10 to 13 episodes, at least, after this two year period.

RoyalRubble

Staff member
Reporter
I was also wondering how long a season of a Disney+ animated series would be. The live-action stuff are supposed to all be mini-series, I think. I would be fine with a short amount of episodes, but a guarantee of multiple seasons, to be honest. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spotlight

Staff online

Who's on Discord?

Latest profile posts

Remember back when people were saying that "Streaming is the (bright) future"?
"I can't wait to eat this baby" - Paramount, presumably looking for tax write-offs
Happy Baseball Opening Day
"I'm probably going to watch Nymphomaniac Part II on Disney+ this weekend" isn't something I didn't think I'd ever say, but here we are.

Featured Posts